Author Topic: I'm just going to come out and say it.  (Read 3096 times)

Offline bullshark

I'm just going to come out and say it.
« on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
3D technology is terrible.  Fix it please.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: I'm just going to come out and say it.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
There is no fix.
But the deeper problem is that the audience must focus their eyes at the plane of the screen -- say it is 80 feet away. This is constant no matter what.

But their eyes must converge at perhaps 10 feet away, then 60 feet, then 120 feet, and so on, depending on what the illusion is. So 3D films require us to focus at one distance and converge at another. And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before. All living things with eyes have always focussed and converged at the same point.

I don't really understand where demand for this shit is coming from. And we're stuck in a vicious cycle because movie makers pushed it, theaters bought all the equipment to display it, and now theaters are demanding more 3D movies because they don't want to believe they just wasted all that damn money. It doesn't even matter if no one really WANTS 3D, everyone involved is already too invested in it to just drop it.

May it die a swift, headache-induced death.

Offline bullshark

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
That's interesting, Hollywood is fighting physiology to make five extra bucks at the box office.  I've decided to skip 3D movies entirely.  There is no way I'm paying five more dollars for a gimmick.  If I want a headache I'll just watch Foxnews and I can do that for free.  I can only think of one movie worth seeing in 3D, Avatar.  Though it wasn't exactly high brow, it was an entertaining popcorn spectacle.

Join me brothers!  No longer will we pay more to see less!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »
The only recent movie I've seen in 3D was Avatar, and it was certainly too dark.  I'm well aware of the focus vs convergence issue, and it cannot be fixed for stereoscopy, ever.  Getting used to separating the two functions is up to the individual.  Some won't have much trouble; others will hate it and stay away.  The illusion of 3D is an interesting novelty, but I don't see it going mainstream in the long run.  I hope not anyway.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »
I have yet to see a 3D movie.  I don't go to the movie theatres very much anyway, and when I do, the last thing I want is to have to put on these glasses on top of my own glasses.  The same issue exists with 3DTVs.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 22, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »
And we're stuck in a vicious cycle because movie makers pushed it, theaters bought all the equipment to display it, and now theaters are demanding more 3D movies because they don't want to believe they just wasted all that damn money

hahaa that made me laugh.

I personally love tech and tech innovations...

But 3D? I want to say that I think it is stupid, but I realize I haven't seen a single movie in the format, so who knows, maybe I will like it. But yes, it being pushed down my throat at every opportunity is annoying as fuck.

I agree that because they've made such a huge investment, they feel the need to push the marketing on this. Who knows... maybe the 3D movies are outselling their 2D counterparts in the theaters, and not just talking about Avatar.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 06:37:03 AM »
All you haters obviously haven't seen Piranha 3D.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 06:45:52 AM »
... maybe the 3D movies are outselling their 2D counterparts in the theaters, and not just talking about Avatar.

They probably are, but that's only because bigger movies tend to be in 3D and tickets are more expensive.