Author Topic: Atlus bringing Catherine to the US  (Read 3938 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Atlus bringing Catherine to the US
« on: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »
Sure seems like it.

So now you too can play a game full of weird tie-wearing sheep-men.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Atlus bringing Catherine to the US
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
Fuck yeah, I was so happy to get that email from Atlus the other day with that announcement.  I was worried it wasn't going to be coming here.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 01, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
Looks like a mediocre puzzle game covered in strange and sex.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 01:51:40 AM »
I only saw the cover and it looked like a weird Japanese hentai game.

From a marketing and communications perspective, you must judge a product's perceived image and connotations by its cover.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 09:00:57 PM »
Steer clear of the GT review. It's not exactly spoilery, but it shows probably almost every bit of the game at least at some point. It also doesn't seem to make sense. The few bad points they mention don't indicate that the game would get anything below probably an 8.5. They praise the gameplay and only mention some control issues, but then give the gameplay a 7.5 at the end. Weird.

GSpot and IGN reviews were actually quite good and don't show too much. Both are pretty praiseworthy. Hopefully some people check it out and realize this isn't just some weird Japanese thing.

Dug 1Up's summary:

Catherine is a game for anyone who's ever feared commitment, dreaded aging, felt their heart stray, dealt with a pregnancy scare, spent long booze-soaked hours commiserating with pals at the local dive bar, or simply questioned the direction their life is going as they close in on middle age. It's for other people, too, but you guys out there with thinning hair and thickening waistlines are going to find a lot more to relate to in Catherine than you might expect from a mere video game. Sure, it's all wrapped in a bizarre story about sheep men trying to climb blocks to save their lives, but the uncanniness here just defines the down-to-earth humanity of the story all the more.

Catherine isn't a game for everyone, it's true. But in an era increasingly defined by developers' ever-growing fear of creating anything that isn't a safe, conservative million-seller, Atlus' willingness to create and publish something as unique as this is truly commendable. Best of all, it's not just a weird game -- it's a great one, too.

Both the written reviews at 1Up and Destructoid talk a good bit about mature versus "mature", how the game actually tries to tell an adult story and doesn't end up looking anything like some of the saucy packaging Atlus put together for it. And all the reviews go on to say that the game is hard as balls, which I think is awesome. I can't wait!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »
I've got the game pre-ordered and can't wait to jump into it on Tuesday.  For anyone interested there is a demo for it on PSN (don't know about XBLA).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 21, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
Thanks to some magical Amazon moneys I got myself the CE. Not sure when it'll show up, though. I don't think I paid for special shipping so it'll probably be a few days after release. Sucks to be me.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »
I'm going to have to keep my eye out on this one. Its not something I'm really itching to play but it sounds so damn interesting I want to make sure I get a copy at some point.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 22, 2011, 09:22:26 AM »
I've got the game pre-ordered and can't wait to jump into it on Tuesday.  For anyone interested there is a demo for it on PSN (don't know about XBLA).

Yeah, there's a demo for it on Xbox too.  I know so little about this game (what do you even get to do?) that my interest has been tepid at best.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »
The actually game part of it doesn't interest me at all. Im more curious about the characters and story it has that surrounds it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »
So I've put a little over eight hours into this so far and I'm loving it.  That quote from 1up that Que posted is a great way to explain the game so far.  The story and characters are great.  The gameplay is pretty good too and hard as fuck.  I'm playing on Normal and have debated going to Easy a couple of times so far, the last world I just finished up I spent a little over an hour on just one segment of the world.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 07:42:50 AM »
Seriously, is Belmont the only one playing this? I'm all over it as soon as my copy gets here.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
I read the gamespot review and they seemed to like it a lot and it sounded kinda cool. Im still a little hesitant, the tension filled gameplay maybe a little bit too stressful to my liking. Also I dont think Jeff on Giantbomb is going to review it favorably. From his comments on the podcast, he's not enjoying it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
I'm loving it. It takes a minute to pick up steam, and it suffers from some of that kinda wonky Japanese-to-English dialogue and acting a little, but once it gets going that all really fades into the background and it gets quite compelling. The acting isn't bad, and the writing is actually pretty damned good. Some of the interactions have surprised me. I've only gone in about 2 hours, though.

The gameplay itself is stellar. Certainly not for everyone, and definitely hard (and it's unfortunate that sometimes the controls will kill you, because they're a little slippery), but really great stuff. I'm totally digging it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
Feel like I've hit my stride. Playing on normal the only level that *really* fucked with me was the 3rd boss. The reason for that was I actually didn't know how to progress. There have been other spots that were simply difficult but I had an idea of how to proceed... but this one section on the third boss totally mystified me. I ended up having to look at a video walkthrough, which was funny, because it didn't actually help. I don't know if it was just the way they'd done things or if it was a different version of the game (it appeared to be English, so I dunno), but it did give me an idea. Even though I ended up solving things in an entirely different way.

That's one thing that's very cool about the game. It's a puzzle game, and because of the way it's built you *can* find an absolute best path and follow it all the way to the end, but it doesn't limit you and feels pretty organic, so if you forget how you first scaled one part of a level you can end up doing it differently the next time around. Which can also be frustrating... if you figure out some awesome way to do something and then die, you might freak out because you can't remember what you did to get up so quickly and easily the last time.

As far as just-plain-hard, the 4th boss kicked my ass because I hadn't figured out how some of the attacks were happening in the second half of the fight. Once you figure that out it's not so bad, but I must have died 5 times before I even figured out how the attack worked. Half of the reason the boss fights are so hard is because of all the chaos that goes on, and that one made it really hard to see. Such a great feeling when you complete a level though, especially if it was hard. You get that sense of relief and victory that so many games lack these days.

Catherine is a mixed bag on the whole. I think scores in the 8.5 to 9 range are about right. It's super unique and does so much cool stuff, but it isn't transcendent. It still suffers from some limitations. You can feel the Japanese RPG roots in the ways the dialogue moves and works, but it really shines when the great localization, interesting characters, and acting all come together. And that's not always. There are moments that are a little stilted or don't mesh quite as they should, which is a shame because they do take you a little out of the moment and away from the great, introspection-encouraging story, but I suspect this is more noticeable just because when it does work it's so much better than these games usually are in that regard. The localization team really made this shine, and while there are a couple of unfortunate voice actors, for the most part I'm really pleased with the English voices too (and I wasn't expecting to be). While it may not be perfect, the game does a fantastic job of showing what it's like to feel directionless in your late twenties or early thirties, in particular if you're having woman problems. No reason a woman couldn't play and enjoy it, either.

Anyway... my save is at 10 hours on normal, I just finished the first floor of the 6th tier, and I think I'm at level 14 of Rapunzel (the arcade game you can play at the bar, which is a series of shorter, untimed puzzle levels). Having a blast. I want to say everyone should check this game out, but it really won't appeal to everyone. Either way, it's something that anyone who really loves games should take a look at. This one has the potential to be marked as a turning point, though I don't suspect to see an industry-wide wave of influence. Really, just not enough people will play it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
I ended up finishing this today and getting the True Lovers ending with about 18 hours as my final playtime.  There are 7 other endings I can get and according to some info on some message boards I can get two more of them off of a save file right near the end of the game that I made.  The others I will have to get by playing the game from the beginning and choosing chaos based answers.  I loved this game.  I am glad the development team tried something new and it ended up working out great.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
This apparently did well.
A week after its release, Catherine has already become Atlus' biggest launch title ever. The game has shipped the most units at launch of any Atlus game in the company's history.

"Catherine has exceeded our highest expectations," said Tim Pivnicny, VP of Sales and Marketing at Atlus, in a statement given to IGN. "It released last week to tremendous critical acclaim and fan response, bolstered by the release of a demo a couple weeks prior, and continues to generate discussion among fans for its mature themes, engrossing subject matter, and frantic, challenging gameplay.

"It is fitting, then, that Catherine can boast the largest launch in the 20-year history of Atlus, and continues to see strong sales at retail."

Atlus could not provide exact sales numbers at this time. Catherine launched in North America on July 26 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
This apparently did well.

That is awesome news.  Very glad to hear this.

Also, I have now done four out of the eight possible endings and am working towards the chaos based endings now.  My only complaint with the multiple endings is that you can't view them in any kind of extras menu.

EDIT 8/6: I have now done all eight endings with three playthroughs of the game. The True Cheaters and True Lovers endings were definitely my favorites.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 05, 2011, 10:10:04 PM by TheOtherBelmont »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #19 on: Monday, August 08, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Looks like some PC interface templates were hidden in Catherine X360.

The VG Resource did a little spelunking recently with an Xbox 360 copy of Catherine. By digging through the code, they were able to turn up a bunch of unused images from the game in addition to a user interface template sheet. Strangely, the sheet contained buttons and triggers for the PS3 version, but stranger still were the keyboard and mouse icons. Did Atlus originally plan on bringing Catherine to the PC?

There also seems to have been plans for character selection in multiplayer. And what's with the realistic-looking actors portraying Vincent and Catherine in that one picture?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »
Heeeey thread resurrection!

I've been a big fan of competitive Catherine for a bit, and continue to really enjoy it. Decided to do an article on it since it came to Evo again this year, albeit as a sideshow: http://www.goombastomp.com/features/competitive-catherine-evo-2016/

Austin Walker also gave it a mention in his rundown of lesser-known Evo stuff: http://www.vice.com/read/dont-miss-these-lesser-known-fighting-games-from-evo-2016

Got an interview that I need to transcribe with David "Dacidbro" Broweleit, the reigning shamp, which is also fun, and really shows just how much he and some of the other guys love this game. Excited to see where they take it in the future. Will post a link to the interview when it goes up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, July 27, 2016, 09:16:05 PM »
And here's a bump because that chat I had with Dacidbro is now live (and worth reading):

http://www.goombastomp.com/features/dacidbro-future-competitive-catherine/

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 08:15:43 AM »
And here's a bump because that chat I had with Dacidbro is now live (and worth reading):

http://www.goombastomp.com/features/dacidbro-future-competitive-catherine/

I'm pretty sure I bought this game from you. I really like it, but I got stuck and haven't beaten it yet.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
You did, I think. 360 version?

It's not a super hard game, but it's also not an easy one. Requires some learning for sure. It's worth getting to the end to unlock the versus mode if you want to mess around with friends, though. The multiplayer really is fun.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
My problem is that when I get frustrated with a game, I step away for a while (weeks even) then come back to it. That isn't a good strategy for this game. You're better off sticking with it was until you at least beat get to a save point...no matter what.

And yes, the I go the 360 version.