Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 22777 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 01:48:35 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
I'm absolutely done with this show.  "Red Wedding" was the final straw.

Okay, here’s something you need to know about Game of Thrones: everyone, and I mean everyone, dies.  I’m not sure what the “game” in Game of Thrones is, but I’m pretty sure it’s the same “game” as The Hunger Games. Everyone who goes into it is going to die. Only unlike The Hunger Games, where it’s just the kids dying — when I say everybody, I mean everybody. George R. R. Martin is your emotionally abusive boyfriend. He will systematically kill the things you love. Stop loving them. You are essentially loving the victim of the week you see die within the first five minutes of every crime drama, only George R. R. Martin makes those first five minutes last for a while, because he’s a sadistic jerk who likes to make you cry. And I can hear, like, five of you going “wait, there are people George R. R. Martin hasn’t killed yet!” Congrats. Technically, you are right. For now, anyway. But he also hasn’t finished the book series, and you know by the next book, I’m probably going to be right.
http://cliqueclack.com/tv/2012/04/16/game-of-thrones-fans/

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, April 17, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
Hahaha. I had the opposite reaction with the books.  Well, after I shat a brick.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »
It took me three years but I finally got over how crappy the forth book was and started the fifth. Only 50 pages in and it's already much better.

Has the show caught up to the books yet? I only watched the first season.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:30:55 PM »
Not yet.  To be honest, I don't think it was that the fourth book was that bad, I think the third was just that good.   I remember being kind of let down by the fifth as well.

Everyone knows the show is going to catch up at this point.  GRRM still kind of denies it, but he's pretty much not capable of finishing both books before the show winds up.  His latest statment is something like:

I'm now worried about it catching up, but if they split the next two books into two seasons each I might be able to do it - especially since they have to alter the format from the books as the following two aren't in chronological order.  The last one will still be very tight though.

Of course that's a really shit idea, especially if you've read the last two books.   There's already almost not enough there to make two full seasons all that compelling for television.

The show creators (I may have made this up) have said something like:

We've been briefed on a rough summary and timeline of the overall plot of the series.  We can progress beyond the books if it comes to it

I think the second option is what's going to happen.  Of course that's problematic, because I'm sure the publishers will shit a brick if that happens  - it will probably cut their sales in half...at least. My guess (and I think this is a cool idea that I made up, but I'm sure it's a thing out there) is that they pick a point and diverge into two different timelines, showing how one event can change everything for Westeros - I think it'd be a decent way to keep the casual fans interested in both the TV show and the books.  My guess for the divergent point would be
(click to show/hide)

In either case, I think it's too close at this point for them to not have a contingency plan that the publishers and the producers are both somewhat satisfied with.  No one has faith in GRRM (nor should they)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 09:52:14 PM »
What the fuck. They need to postpone the series until the final book is out. They can't do this. The show sucks. It is just long scenes of dialog and exposition where nothing happens! Ugh.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »
I don't think postponing the show is an option anymore

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 11:32:43 PM »
Holy shit!

that is all.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #48 on: Monday, June 20, 2016, 12:20:30 AM »
Damnit I need to start watching this season.

It's funny, I was having this debate with myself of torrenting episodes, then started to look up using a proxy, then proxy service pricing, then realized I can just pay HBO and get it over with.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #49 on: Friday, July 08, 2016, 03:28:25 AM »
That was a hell of a season, I'm still fuzzy on a handful of details but I haven't rewatched any of it since nor read the books past the first one, but the show still seems to hold every bit of my attention with each episode.

Some questions and spoilers:

(click to show/hide)