Author Topic: The Limited Edtion Star Wars DVDs  (Read 8149 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
The Limited Edtion Star Wars DVDs
« on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
The Limited Edtion Star Wars original trilogy DVDs came out today, for those who don't know why it is so awesome, it is the special edition DVD plus the original theatrical release(non special edtion, none of the new scenes added in from 1997 or after) DVD all in one 2 disc package.  You have to buy them indivdually though but most places are selling them for $20 each and that is not bad for what they are giving you.  Wal Mart and Circuit City are doing little promo giveaways with them too, Wal-Mart has the original Marvel graphic novels or each movie packaged with the corresponding DVD (The Empire Strikes Back graphic novel with the The Empire Strikes Back DVD, etc) and Circuit City is giving away lithographs.  The DVDs have commentary as well as some other extras I believe.

I picked mine up at Wal-Mart today, can't watch them yet though because I had to put them on layaway due to being almost broke after lending my brother $100, but they are waiting for me when I get the money on Friday.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Limited Edtion Star Wars DVDs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:15:07 PM »
That's pretty cool.  Still, I'm just not quite enough of a fan to justify the expenditure.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
I distinctly remember Lucas saying the original unedited trilogy would never be released on DVD.

I bet it went something like this...

Lucas: "The original unedited trilogy will never be on DVD!"
Fans: "Noooo! But I will buy these edited movies anyway!"
*Lucas makes 400 billion dollars*
Lucas: "Psyche!"
Fans: "I'm a moron and will buy them again instead of being outraged!"
*Lucas makes another 400 billion dollars*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:20:13 PM »
That's hard logic to argue.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:21:14 PM »
I'm glad I held out on not getting the Special Edtion DVDs when they first came out a year or two ago because I was hoping for this kind of release, sucks for the people who are buying it again though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:23:12 PM »
I distinctly remember Lucas saying the original unedited trilogy would never be released on DVD.

I distinctly remember that as well. And after laughing at your comments, I say fuck Lucas.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
Man there's too much of the darkside of the force in this board, I don't agree with a lot of Lucas's decisions, but this is still cool nonetheless.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »
Meh.  I have the special edition boxset, and see no reason for the need to buy the original.  Yes it is the original, but it doesn't justify the purchase for me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »
Tet I am a pretty huge Star Wars fan, heck I love the new trilogy as well. I just think this is exploitation. I have friends who will spend a small fortune on this stuff, and being dishonest with fans isn't acceptable.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:25:11 PM »
I think the Star Wars geek in me is finally starting to die down. I used have such a fondness to them, I think it was the old school video games that contributed to my obsession of star wars, cause you had Tie Fighter, Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, and the Super Star Wars games for the SNES back in the day, they just made me so giddy with happiness. Now theres just so much other nerd stuff Ive gotten into that I really passed Stars Wars back quite a few notches as my most fond universe.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:56:08 PM »
Fuck George Lucas and fuck Star Wars

I used to be a fan, before the new trilogy... and the ass-raping he gave the old trilogy in the dvd release of them. Disgusting.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 01:14:58 AM »
Despite all the bad things about the re edits of the Special Edtion, this is still cool for the people who didn't buy the Special Edtion DVD boxset when it first came out and good for the people who want the original theaterical versions who hate the Special Edtion with a passion.  I personally didn't mind the small fixes in the first Special Edition in 97 but the newest ones were a bit too much, but I don't have to watch them if I don't want to because I've got the original versions in DVD format now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 01:16:25 AM »
I used to like Star Wars for all the games Pyro mentioned.  All awesome.  And the universe itself is pretty cool.  But I just had a real hard time liking them after the new 3 movies, and even during times when I was feeling sympathetic, I couldn't help the downgrade of interest I had in the franchise.  At this point, it's near zero.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 01:25:17 AM »
The new movies weren't as good as the new older ones but they definetely got better as they progressed, Revenge of the Sith was awesome and the best one out of the new ones.  The fact that the new movies weren't as good as the original trilogy didn't have any effect on my interest in them, in fact after watching Revenge of the Sith in theaters, I watched the original trilogy again later that day.

I've been a hardcore fan of the Star Wars universe since I was young and was a member of the Star Wars Fan Club for 6 years, since I started playing Star Wars Galaxies back in June, my interest has resparked and I've been reading my Star Wars Encyclopedia again along with some of the novels I've missed here and there.  I used to go to the smaller sci fi conventions(they had a lot of them in Austin) and meet the actors/actresses that played the characters in the movies(Peter Mayhew-Chewbacca, David Prowse - Darth Vader, Jeremy Bulloch - Boba Fett and Anthony Daniels-C3PO just to name a few).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 03:22:29 AM »
I guess I still love Star Wars despite everything. I used to annoy my friends a while back by relating everything to Star Wars.

I like the new trilogy well enough to be honest, and I love the games. I think a new Jedi Knight game would really rock.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 05:53:30 AM »

Haha, exactly.  Then later he'll release versions with interviews from Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer , Mark Hammill, and Samuel L. Jackson, etc.  And people will go buy that.

I'm glad I held out on not getting the Special Edtion DVDs when they first came out a year or two ago because I was hoping for this kind of release, sucks for the people who are buying it again though.
Ditto.  Actually, I found torrents for the original movies on DVD some time ago.  Someone converted them from the Laserdisc release.  That and I still had that VHS release of the original trilogy as well.

Offline ender

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 08:25:13 AM »
I hear the Limited Edition original transfers have not been restored and the audio is not 5.1 or DTS. To me the minor changes made in the SE's is worth dealing with to get the beautifully restorted audio and images. I have an HDTV with a DTS sound system and an unrestored version to me would be really shitty in presentation. Sucks he just didn't remaster the original films with no changes each time he's re-released it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
I hear the Limited Edition original transfers have not been restored and the audio is not 5.1 or DTS. To me the minor changes made in the SE's is worth dealing with to get the beautifully restorted audio and images. I have an HDTV with a DTS sound system and an unrestored version to me would be really shitty in presentation. Sucks he just didn't remaster the original films with no changes each time he's re-released it.
Of course they didnt restore the picture and audio. Thats for the next wallet raping DVD release.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 11:55:14 AM »
That's hard logic to argue.

Yup.  The "$400 billion dollars" part of it trumps everything else.

I have the original VHS tapes, plus LaserDisc rips too.  I saw them at the theater when released too, the original 9 times.  I doubt I'll be buying any big-buck boxed sets.