Author Topic: Foreign Language Films  (Read 2369 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Foreign Language Films
« on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
I've been watching a lot of foreign language films lately and have found quite a few that are worth watching.  It seems like we haven't had very many movie threads lately so I thought I'd share.

Incendies (2010) - This is a French Canadian film and by far my favourite of the bunch.  It's a drama/mystery.  A brother and sister must investigate into their mother's past after her will identifies a long lost brother and father. 

Confessions (2010) - This is a Japanese psychological thriller focused on revenge.  It has some resemblance to the Korean film Oldboy but is also very different on its own as well.  I can't really reveal much without spoiling it; it's about a teacher trying to avenge her daughter's killers.

The Man from Nowhere (2010) - This is a Korean action flick which reminds me a lot of Leon (The Professional).  There's nothing groundbreaking about this film, but it's still a decent action movie and I enjoyed it.

A Separation (2011) - This is an Iranian drama that just won best foreign language film at the Golden Globes.  It's a powerful movie with deep characters and interesting developments.  Highly recommended.

Headhunters (2011) - This is a Norwegian/Danish action film.  I didn't really know what to expect when I first started watching it but it turned out to be surprisingly good.

Swordsmen (2011) - This is a Chinese film that would seem to be focused on martial-arts, but turns out to be a fairly slow-burn drama.  It was also surprisingly good.

I have two Korean films in my backlog by I haven't had a chance to watch them yet: I Saw the Devil and Madeo.  I've heard decent things about them though.