Author Topic: Sherlock!  (Read 11821 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Sherlock!
« on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
I've been watching the BBC version of Sherlock, and I have to say, it's one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. It's Sherlock Holmes, but based in modern day, and the quality is fantastic. Each episode could seriously be released as a movie and they'd be awesome. Each season is only 3 episodes long, but each episode is an hour and half long. There are only two seasons so far, and the first is on Netflix.

Watch it, it's freaking awesome.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Sherlock!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
I definitely need to check this out. Thanks for the reminder.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
You better! It's dope. Way better than the US movies.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
Loved the first season. Especially the first episode.

There's a lot of good BBC shows on Netflix that are now a season behind. Hopefully they fix that soon.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 03, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »
It is a brilliant show! Get on it quick!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 03, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
I heard this is good.  I'll have to watch this when I have some time.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
I just watched the last episode of season 3 and wow! that was completely awesome in every way. I really need another fix. But it's been confirmed that there won't be any new episodes until summer 2013! But that is not a bad thing. Quality over quantity is always better.  

Maybe I'll have to check out the books in ht meantime, since I've never actually read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »
Absolutely do it. They're really excellent.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 09, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
I watched and very much liked the first episode.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
Watched the first two episodes, its pretty good. So you say there are 3 seasons to this?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Watched the first two episodes, its pretty good. So you say there are 3 seasons to this?
Not yet, only 2 seasons so far. Season 3 I believe is scheduled for early 2013.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
Yeah. I think filming for seasons 3 starts soon. They had to put it off so that Cumberbatch could play the villain for the next Star Trek movie. Pretty awesome. The show is freaking amazing. 

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, July 05, 2012, 06:49:36 PM »
On the whole, I think the recent 2 films are better than the show although I am a fan.

The main drawback of the show being the guy playing Moriarty was fucking terrible.

Worst. Moriarty. Ever.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 06, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
This is on my watch list.  Haven't started yet, but will eventually.  I'm currently very entertained by Jekyll.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 22, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
So I finally got around to starting the second season. Heather and I watched it last night. Hell of a season starter, that first episode.

I enjoyed the first season, but the first time we started on the second, we only watched a tiny bit before turning it off, just because we wanted to see where it was headed. We didn't make a conscious choice to stop watching, but in retrospect, I realized I was really annoyed that they made Irene Adler a dominatrix, mainly because I was and still am sick to fucking death of the media fixation on BDSM, and portrayals of strong women as needing to be sexual sadists in some fashion, which I find demeaning and obnoxious. But I got over it, and it didn't end up being a terribly big deal.

Did they do 3 seasons of this and stop? I'm so out of the loop, I almost never watch TV or movies anymore.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Monday, May 23, 2016, 07:10:21 AM »
Man you are so right about that dominatrix bullshit.  Billions started out that way, and I mean right from the first frame.  (The wife is a total bitch who puts career ahead of marriage and devotion to her husband, yet it's portrayed with a straight face as something positive.  Sick.)  It's like being male and white should send us cowering into corners in modern society.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #16 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 12:38:26 AM »
So, it's been just over a week since the end of Series 4.  I have to say that I generally enjoyed the Series, though I was a little disappointed with the series finale upon reflection.  I found the second episode, The Lying Detective to be the strongest episode in the series.  The first was oddly paced, though still enjoyable.  The finale has a host of problems, but it is fairly intense until the end.

Did anyone else catch the Series?

Given the fact that this could very well be the final Series to Sherlock, it is a good place to end and overall one of my favourite shows.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 04:22:47 PM »
I don't have TV, so haven't seen anything. I can't imagine it's on Netflix yet, though I have no idea how fast they do that kind of thing these days.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
Wasn't too thrilled with season 4. The second episode was good but the other two were just...I dunno, trying too hard. But overall Ive enjoyed the series.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 01:45:00 AM »
Holy shit, I didn't even know there was a season 4!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Monday, February 13, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Okay, watched it.  Wasn't a fan of the first episode at all, the second was alright and I enjoyed it.  Mixed feelings about the third.  Loved some aspects, felt it was really week in others.

Honestly, I think the introduction of Mary was kind of the turning point of the series for me.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »
I fell asleep during the first episode. :(

At some point I want to give it another go.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, February 16, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
Honestly, I think the introduction of Mary was kind of the turning point of the series for me.

I personally did not mind Mary as a character, and her story arc wasn't bad in Series 3.  That being said, the first episode of Series 3 where she is introduced was not a good episode (in fact, I believe it is one of the weakest episodes in the entire show's history -- though not the worst).  She had a fairly robust background and her story arc was well-developed.  That's probably why what happens in Series 4 made it feel a bit of a disappointment since so much time was invested into her.