Author Topic: Kickstarter thread  (Read 48016 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Kickstarter thread
« Reply #160 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 09:04:11 AM »
. . .

Fuck all of them. I will find a way to likewise take their money.  One of these days...

Let me know if I can help.  :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #161 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
Shovel Knight looks like something quite a few people here would be interested in. Be sure to watch the video. $10 gets you the game. $15 gets the game with manual. Yes, thats weird. I dunno. But the game looks pretty sweet.

Yacht Club Games is an independent game developer started in 2011 by Sean Velasco and a crew from WayForward. We are a fun-loving bunch of gaming geniuses who have dedicated our lives to video games ever since we saw our first pixels. However, our serious and solemn goal is to make really awesome original games that fuse modern and retro sensibilities, and we have the pedigree to prove it! Our team is comprised of top talent that has worked on some amazing titles, including Contra 4, A Boy and His Blob, Thor: God of Thunder, Mighty Milky Way, BloodRayne Betrayal, and most recently, Double Dragon Neon.This is our maiden project as Yacht Club Games, which means we are determined to impress.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #162 on: Friday, March 15, 2013, 08:39:18 PM »
Shovel Knight looks awesome.  I will probably end up going with the $15 pledge.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
Looks fantastic, but I have a billion games like it I haven't played yet.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
Let me know if I can help.  :P

1.) Don't worry, you're in.

2.) Shovel Knight does indeed look sweet.

3.) Rumour is that Sega may use Kickstarter to test the market and presell copies of a potential Shenmue 3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #165 on: Monday, March 18, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »
Richard Garriott's Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues that I mentioned here...
...That just hit over $1 million and is now FUNDED.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #166 on: Friday, March 22, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
So who wants a Planescape: Torment spiritual successor? They are asking for $900,000 and they just topped that on the first day.

Torment: Tides of Numenera

NEW Stretch goal added if they hit $3.5 - add Chris Avellone to the design team for Torment:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/434472

At $3.5M, Chris will be joining our design team. He’ll have two primary roles.

First, he will be reviewing and providing feedback on all creative elements of the game, including the story, characters, and areas.
His input will be invaluable as a resource to Colin in further detailing the creative vision for the game.

Second, he’ll be designing and writing an eighth companion for the game, working with Colin and Monte to craft a companion ideal for both Torment and the Ninth World of Numenera.

EDIT -> April 2, 2013:
Brian Fargo (of InXile) says Torment: Tides is headed also to GOG.

Brian Fargo
‏@BrianFargo
RT @GOGcom GOG will be one of the options to dl your DRM-free copy of Torment RPG. Support the project: http://j.mp/TormentGOG

We love GOG.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 02:42:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Well I hope Kickstarter removes this project. TL;DR: 9 year old girl wants to make an RPG and her brothers tease her saying she cant so she wants to prove them wrong! GIRL POWER! She needs $829 to go to coding camp where she will make a game in a week. The KS campaign is to raise the money so she can go and you will get a copy of the game.

They raised over $22,000 so far.

There are a few problems with this. First, it clearly violates Kickstarters guidelines.
Prohibited uses:
    No charity or cause funding.
    Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.
    No "fund my life" projects.
    Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.
She isn't taking money to make a game, she is taking money to go to camp and "prove her brothers wrong".

Also people decided to look at the mom. Oh, you mean this Susan Wilson? Sure doesn't seem like they need help coming up with $800. I mean...there's a freaking $10,000 tier! She claims Brenda Romero told her to add it to the campaign. Right. Because that makes sense.

If KS lets this go through then I think it will damage their credibility.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »
While it's true that the stated goal should invalidate the project, all the donation/reward tiers reference a tangible product.  I don't know.  My guess is that they could eliminate the basic problem by rewording the goal.

I'm thinking mom, being an entrepreneurial type, is driving this every step of the way.  Nothing wrong with that, even if she can fund the whole thing herself without breaking a sweat.  It helps her kid learn some ropes, which is a hell of a lot more valuable than money.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »
I suppose. But that is a very fine line they are walking there and this whole thing just feels scammy. I mean, could I run a KS that sends me to Digipen as long as I promise to send you the game I make while I'm there? Are you buying the game or paying my tuition?

Spread the word but don't spam

Sharing your project with friends, fans, and followers is one thing, but invading inboxes and social networks uninvited is another. Spamming makes you and every other Kickstarter project look bad, and it puts your project in jeopardy of being suspended. Don’t do it.

What's spam?

Emailing or direct messaging strangers about your project
    Using email lists from third parties or soliciting backers of other Kickstarter projects
    Sending unsolicited @-replies on Twitter
    Link-bombing forums
    Promoting a project on other projects' pages

Not sure if something is spam? If you have to ask, it probably is.
Well...
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 12:17:16 PM by idolminds »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
I doubt whatever comes out of this project will be worth one plug nickel.  I guess I just don't care that it's there.  It doesn't bother me.  No one is being forced to throw money at it.  I sure won't.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »
This is basically just internet panhandling. People are stupid enough to contribute to these types out in the world, which is why they keep doing it, so I imagine it will flourish here. Well-meaning idiots helping to perpetuate the undeserving. A 9 year-old doesn't need to go to "coding camp", and if she does, her fucking parents should be the ones paying for it. But either way, if she's actually gifted enough to do anything worthwhile, she could and probably would learn the skills elsewhere.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, March 24, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
Well I hope Kickstarter removes this project. TL;DR: 9 year old girl wants to make an RPG and her brothers tease her saying she cant so she wants to prove them wrong! GIRL POWER! She needs $829 to go to coding camp where she will make a game in a week. The KS campaign is to raise the money so she can go and you will get a copy of the game.

They raised over $22,000 so far.

There are a few problems with this. First, it clearly violates Kickstarters guidelines. She isn't taking money to make a game, she is taking money to go to camp and "prove her brothers wrong".

Also people decided to look at the mom. Oh, you mean this Susan Wilson? Sure doesn't seem like they need help coming up with $800. I mean...there's a freaking $10,000 tier! She claims Brenda Romero told her to add it to the campaign. Right. Because that makes sense.

If KS lets this go through then I think it will damage their credibility.

I'm more or less with Cobra on this:  whatever. I actually find it a bit less of waste of Kickstarting time (as if that's a thing?) than the Deathstar or half of the actual projects out there.  Sure she COULD pay for camp, but sure, try to get it for free.  And I do get that it's probably not the intended purpose, but it's kinda Kickstarter's decision to approve it.  They can still pull it if they feel they were initially mislead.

And honestly, it seems that a lot of the original uproar over this is coming from those pussies over in Men's Rights groups. That always makes me care a whole lot less.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #173 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
If you look at the rewards for the 10,000 thing... it is clear she is whoring her children out. They will personally apologize to you? For what? Jeeze.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 07:40:30 AM »
Wait, that Deathstar campaign is still running! Holy shit, I thought that got pulled because it was an obvious joke. I was more upset about this recent case because it breaks KS rules and they weren't doing anything about it. But the Deathstar thing still going...come on Kickstarter. You gotta keep your house in order.

EDIT

Looks like KS thinks its ok.

Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. The goal of this project is to create a video game, which backers are offered for a $10 pledge. On Kickstarter backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.
Which is funny since the project page itself says:
I'm raising $829 to cover the cost of attending this RPG STEM Camp for kids 9-12 years old for a week (it'll be my first overnight camping trip by myself and I can't wait)
The fact that she makes a game there seems incidental. As one comment put it: "If I did a "pay for my grad school tuition and get a hard bound copy of my dissertation" kick starter would you expect it to be allowed?"

Ultimately I think this kind of thing will hurt Kickstarter in the long run. There are plenty of people that already don't trust the idea of crowdfunding. KS needs to make sure they keep the trust they already have, otherwise people will stop using them.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 25, 2013, 06:46:49 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #175 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 06:48:23 PM »
And moving past the drama....who wants a new Ecco the dolphin?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #176 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
Oh God yes.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #177 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »
Ohhh yeeah!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Monday, March 25, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
So, I should be totally excited about this, but I'm kind of thinking it's going to be lame and boring. I don't even get what they're talking about through half of that (granted, wasn't really paying attention).

I just want an Ecco/Aquaria type game.

And, it's not really the same, but Hungry Shark Evolved for Android and iOS is surprisingly fun.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #179 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
The Emperor's New Clothes KS ends today. They came clean, it really is just a box of blank bits and the KS has been sort of a mini-game in itself. Lots of people dropped their pledge but it looks like it will still fund, but only just.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #180 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
The Emperor's New Clothes KS ends today. They came clean, it really is just a box of blank bits and the KS has been sort of a mini-game in itself. Lots of people dropped their pledge but it looks like it will still fund, but only just.

What the fuck?  I checked it out and saw their "big reveal" and still, what the fuck?  How can the big reveal be that the thing is a box of blank pieces with no overall game thought up, no rules, and...well, nothing.  It's just a box of blank pieces.  That's what we all knew from the start.  Your reveal pretty much literally can't be the only thing that we already knew. That makes zero fucking sense and the meta joke tie-in with The Emperor's New Clothes, the story, wasn't clever enough to actually be the basis of a month long joke. It was extremely blatant and obvious.  The guy made a thread on Reddit to try to explain this apparently really complex concept:

Well, if you use the old story as an analogy, the butt of the joke in the story is in fact the people who believe the Emperor is wearing clothes they can't see — thus, the backers. So in fact I was telling a joke in which the butt of the joke was the people who chose to let themselves be laughed at, the ones who said, "Oh, that's funny, I want to be the Emperor." The person who is uncertain and doesn't back it is in fact NOT the butt of the joke. 

Basically I was putting up something that was clearly suspect, in a manner that was obviously suspicious, and inviting people to say, "Sure, I'm game, fool me." But then to spend a month saying, ok, so you bought into that—let me tell you why I think there actually IS value in this apparent hoax. It's not intended as a prank on the non-backers. It's intended as a prank that you choose to have played on you because you think it's fun to be pranked.

This guy has the shittiest sense of humor ever.  He's like that kid who used to lie a lot about mundane shit and then laugh at you for believing it "HAHAH.  You thought I had a waterslide?!" Well, yeah. I asked you three times if you did, and you confirmed it each time. You didn't really outwit me, you just fucking lied a lot". Except the difference is that this guy is an adult and has somehow gotten this far in life thinking that not only is his sense of humor not completely under-developed, but that it's actually clever on a multitude of levels.

It's a shame because it's going to be nothing but a hindrance to his life professionally and personally until he figures it out. Unless he just surrounds himself with similar neckbeards.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 04:59:56 AM »
I was right. This woman is full of shit. Sometimes I feel Americans are too nice because they don't come across manipulative con artists very frequently.

Look:

http://h13.abload.de/img/1364168115669gafg5.png

then look:

http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2013/03/kickstarter-girl-coding-susan-wilson/

Idol posted this article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57576194-1/trolls-take-on-9-year-old-girls-kickstarter-project...and-lose/

This guy is so full of shit. Embarrassing for CNET to have this apologist on board. Sweet kickstarter?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
OK, so she's a scumbag.  Maybe it's even more disturbing because she's a woman, in a culture where women are usually portrayed as the victims of the bad-man's world.  But I still say: so what?  If the project violates Kickstarter rules, yank it unless it's brought into compliance.  If she's violating other key rules, yank it.  But this has absolutely nothing to do with anything:

If these allegations are true, it raises a question about disclosure – Was it important for Susan Wilson to disclose her financial status if she was soliciting donations on Kickstarter? Would you be angry if you contributed to a campaign and later found out that the campaign creator was a millionaire, a marketing professional or had some other trait that may have swayed your decision to contribute in the first place?

And neither does the fact that she's a scumbag.  Since when does Kickstarter forbid rich people and assholes from launching projects?  Did I miss something?  Isn't it up to the target crowd to decide how much such issues matter?

Edit:
Quote from: Justin Kazmark, Kickstarter
Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. The goal of this project is to create a video game, which backers are offered for a $10 pledge. On Kickstarter backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Officially, then, KS considers the goal to be making a game, not paying tuition.  This was my thought too, regardless of how poorly it may be worded.  The meat of the matter (donation tiers) refers to the tangible-product goal (however silly the actual thing turns out to be).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »
Either way, I hope the whole family gets hit by a fucking bus.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »
Well it isn't the rest of the family's fault.

BTW, I have read unconfirmed reports that those teenage brothers who tease the kid who wants to go to programming school? They are in their 20s.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
Genetics. Stop the breeding. Plus whatever instructional training.

Also, I'm not serious. It's just more personally gratifying for me to make ridiculous calls for violence than to say something reasonable like, "Hey, I sure hope that lady cools it and the kids all learn to be better people."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
OK, so she's a scumbag.  Maybe it's even more disturbing because she's a woman, in a culture where women are usually portrayed as the victims of the bad-man's world.  But I still say: so what?  If the project violates Kickstarter rules, yank it unless it's brought into compliance.  If she's violating other key rules, yank it.  But this has absolutely nothing to do with anything:

And neither does the fact that she's a scumbag.  Since when does Kickstarter forbid rich people and assholes from launching projects?  Did I miss something?  Isn't it up to the target crowd to decide how much such issues matter?

Edit:
Officially, then, KS considers the goal to be making a game, not paying tuition.  This was my thought too, regardless of how poorly it may be worded.  The meat of the matter (donation tiers) refers to the tangible-product goal (however silly the actual thing turns out to be).

I'm still totally with Cobra on this, and I actually find it less of a smack in the face to Kickstarter than the DeathStar or the goddamn blank board game. Before you donate to anything, it's kind of up to you to perform your own research and use due diligence.  Kickstarter let it fly, people donated, and she laughed to the bank  - some kid gets camp paid for out of the kindness of strangers rather than her mom's checkbook, whatever.

If one wants to donate to those who really really NEED it, there are countless avenues to do so..Kickstarter isn't really one of them. She slightly skirted the rules and got away with it, but I don't really see anything questionable here. Well no more so than the fact that my massive tax return could probably be better spent on one of the needy people I walk by and ignore on a daily basis. Personally, I plan on wasting it on booze.

It doesn't really seem to me that she misrepresented what she was "kickstarting:" in any real way.  I don't think she made it out to seem like the girl would never be able to attend camp if it weren't for the kindness of strangers.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
The point is that it's unethical as this family has zero reason to start a crowdfunding project other than to exploit it and make money. This is not a funding project, this is a profit project. They're trying to make a profit off of their children. A joke is a joke, and a goofy project is a goofy project, but at least there's no question about what it is. If people want to contribute to something blatant like that, be it as a goof or because they think it's funny, that's legitimate and not unethical. But to have this chick spamming countless celebrities and running it as a business just to play on people's SYMPATHIES or to make them FEEL like they're contributing to some sort of social issue, posting stuff about women's issues and talking about how you're helping to prove to a young girl that women have power, blah blah blah, that's entirely fucking different. That's dishonest and shady. I'm not saying they can't do it. Anybody can do anything they feel like, whether it flies in the face of social convention or not. But it's fucking scummy and I won't not call her a useless bitch when I hear about it. Those other people's goofy projects were funny. I got a giggle out of them, and they weren't trying to lie to anyone, or make people feel like they were contributing to some larger thing. I have no tolerance for exploitationist bullshit. I find the whole thing really unpleasant.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, April 02, 2013, 08:38:34 PM »
The point is that it's unethical as this family has zero reason to start a crowdfunding project other than to exploit it and make money. This is not a funding project, this is a profit project. They're trying to make a profit off of their children. A joke is a joke, and a goofy project is a goofy project, but at least there's no question about what it is. If people want to contribute to something blatant like that, be it as a goof or because they think it's funny, that's legitimate and not unethical. But to have this chick spamming countless celebrities and running it as a business just to play on people's SYMPATHIES or to make them FEEL like they're contributing to some sort of social issue, posting stuff about women's issues and talking about how you're helping to prove to a young girl that women have power, blah blah blah, that's entirely fucking different. That's dishonest and shady. I'm not saying they can't do it. Anybody can do anything they feel like, whether it flies in the face of social convention or not. But it's fucking scummy and I won't not call her a useless bitch when I hear about it. Those other people's goofy projects were funny. I got a giggle out of them, and they weren't trying to lie to anyone, or make people feel like they were contributing to some larger thing. I have no tolerance for exploitationist bullshit. I find the whole thing really unpleasant.

Don't get me wrong, I do totally get what you're saying here and agree to a point. I just don't think it really crosses over that imaginary line into it being unethical. That's probably just a case of a difference of ethical relativism between our viewpoints. From my point of view, she didn't really lie or mislead, she just basically used every marketing trick in the book to tightly control the flow of information with the sales pitch. The quote Cobra brought up highlights why I think it (at worst) falls into a grey area - there's never really been a precedent of full disclosure being a necessity for Kickstarter, she just took advantage of that.  Aside from that, I do think it's on the donator to do their due diligence.

That said, I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the projects you see on Kickstarter are pretty much profit projects as you say. A lot of ventures on there are ones which could very easily procure funding from traditional sources, but the terms would be nowhere near as delightful. I'm actually pretty sure that a lot of the ventures either have already procured some amount of funding through those means or go on to do so, leveraging their crowd-sourced success to either renegotiate terms or procure higher levels of funding than that which was previously available to them. For most of these, Kickstarter is pretty much reduced to little more than an online storefront offering advanced sales.

I guess that's neither here nor there though, this is about this chick, and I do agree that it's sort of shady to a point.  I just don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. But yes, as you said - definitely exploitative.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 08:34:03 AM »
If anything it exemplifies most everything that is wrong with the Kickstarter model.  If it provokes positive change on that front then this whole ordeal was a good thing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
If anything it exemplifies most everything that is wrong with the Kickstarter model.  If it provokes positive change on that front then this whole ordeal was a good thing.

Apologies for beating a dead horse.  But why should this motivate any changes?  I'm baffled.  Maybe I have scumbag tendencies myself?  Maybe that's why I just can't see the big deal here?

Kickstarter is not a charity.  You don't have to be "worthy" or "needy" to use it.  You just need to ask for funding in exchange for the promise of concrete results.  You can ask for a million bucks to design and produce a better pencil, even if you're Donald Trump.  No one has to part with one red cent unless they choose to.  Projects succeed or fail based on persuasion.  What is there to change, without throwing needless extra barriers into the process?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 11:09:57 PM »
Ghost of a Tale is on Indiegogo, not Kickstarter. But same thing.

Among the inspirations I could quote Disney's "Robin Hood", the fables of La Fontaine, "Redwall", "Winnie the Pooh", "The Secret of Nimh", "The Dark Crystal", the paintings of Alan Lee, John Howe, Paul Bonner, John Bauer, and many, many others...

Game-wise the inspirations could be found in the early "Zelda" games, "Ico", the "Gothic" series and "Dark Souls". Of course those are mere inspirations; this project can obviously not expect to compete on equal footing with those amazing games.

But my goal is to craft a small yet beautiful game with environments that look a bit like movie sets and characters that have a sense of stylization in their design, while retaining a certain simplicity and immediacy as far as gameplay is involved.
One man project from a hollywood animator. Looks cute.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 08, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »
Tabletop-inspired 'Torment: Tides of Numenera' breaks Kickstarter record for game funding

When the lead designers of the cult hit Planescape: Torment couldn't acquire the rights they needed to make a sequel, they decided to make the next best thing. A spiritual successor called Torment: Tides of Numenera finished a Kickstarter campaign this week, ending with more money pledged than for any other video game to date. With $4,188,927 in funding, developer inXile Entertainment more than quadrupled its required goal to produce the isometric RPG. It's the company's second appeal to Kickstarter. The first campaign, nearly a year ago, funded the RPG Wasteland 2, which is still in development.

Sounds like great news!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 08, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
I am really happy for them. That's awesome.

I find the "you are the publishers" bit from these people seeking backing to be a bit misleading. If they are publishers, then where is their profit margin?

Some of these people are offering $10,000 tiers with very little in return aside from something stupid like a launch party (which will probably have only a handful of people) or something. I can imagine some poor saps with very little money who are fans of these things make a spur of the moment decision to give them 10,000 only to regret it later.

I hope they aren't being taken advantage of... losing their life savings because of poor judgment and momentary fandom.

As far as I am concerned if you are offering a $10,000 tier you should offer a return in profit margin. These rewards are nonsense and to tell people you are 'investing' that much money because you are a 'publisher' is complete bullshit and misleading.

Let's call it what it is.

It is a donation.

I'd like to see some statistics on this. Wealthy fans who are donating... that's fine. But I've read about many gamers who are so obsessed with their favorite titles, that they end up using very poor judgment. You can just look at some of these people in MMO support groups.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 08, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
Apologies for beating a dead horse.  But why should this motivate any changes?  I'm baffled.  Maybe I have scumbag tendencies myself?  Maybe that's why I just can't see the big deal here?

Kickstarter is not a charity.  You don't have to be "worthy" or "needy" to use it.  You just need to ask for funding in exchange for the promise of concrete results.  You can ask for a million bucks to design and produce a better pencil, even if you're Donald Trump.  No one has to part with one red cent unless they choose to.  Projects succeed or fail based on persuasion.  What is there to change, without throwing needless extra barriers into the process?

Well the most obvious thing is that I doubt Kickstarter really wants to be saddled with all the negative press.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
That being said, I do see Cobra's point of view.

That woman changed her Kickstarter a lot. Removed the brothers apologizing bit entirely. Then said something about 'weird people' on the internet on her Kickstarter.

So odd.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Kickstarter thread
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
Well, the outrage over the part about the brothers  seemed pretty ridiculous to me.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 05:17:16 AM »
I agree with Cobra's point of view, too.  Don't get me wrong.  It's Kickstarter's job to set concrete guidelines and moderate their platform. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #198 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
Update on Shadowrun Returns and its DRM situation...

Shadowrun Returns won't technically be 100% DRM-FREE...

While you still can get a DRM-FREE version from their website, that's about it.
Only from Steam-version will you get updates and user-made content (since Steam-version will support Steamworks & Steam Workshop).

“After a lot of prototyping and research, we decided that our best delivery option for OSX/Windows/Linux is to go the route that great games (like Skyrim!) have taken and embrace Steam and the Steam Workshop. Steam allows us to provide up-to-date downloads and patching along with a vibrant ecosystem for developing community-created content and file sharing.”

“We realize that for some of you, releasing on Steam isn’t your first choice but there are a lot of really great things we get from this decision that allow us to focus on the game rather than on making things like backend servers to deploy and manage shared content. From the start, we’ve had to make practical decisions like this one to ensure we get the most out of the support you’ve given us. We consider this to be the best option for everyone.”

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #199 on: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 04:44:29 PM »
If I had backed that I'd be kinda pissed.