Author Topic: James Cameron: always a twat, but an even bigger twat than perhaps realized.  (Read 7642 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: James Cameron: always a twat, but an even bigger twat than perhaps realized.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Well so much for that guy.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: James Cameron: always a twat, but an even bigger twat than perhaps realized.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
So he's going to continue making movies that make a lot of money, big surprise there. Does that make him a twat? Not really. Honestly though, who gives a fuck?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »
He wants to make more Avatar, great, but exclusively? Hmm, it's a bit presumptuous to just box yourself into one intellectual property.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
Anyone who decides to tell the world, "Fuck off, leave me alone so I can make more shit ripoff movies that will make me more money that I already don't need," is absolutely the very definition of a twat.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »
I don't understand how he is a twat. He already had more than enough money before he made Avatar. When you have that much money, you do what you want. And this guy wants to make Avatar movies.

Besides he is getting old and doesn't have many more movies left in him. He has it in him to finish his Avatar franchise... his child. It is up to him. Though I wonder if something there is being misreported.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
Yeah but...Avatar sucked.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
Who cares.  The guy has enough money to do what he wants.  I'd like to see him do another Alien or Terminator, but if he doesn't make one oh well.  Avatar was alright, but if you don't like it you don't have to see other ones.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Yeah but...Avatar sucked.

I thought it was awesome.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »
I liked it too. Even though it is recent and featured modern visuals there was something very nostalgic about it for me.

Out here in the UAE It wasn't just a movie, it was an event! It stayed in theatres for just over 2 months! The last time we had that was Titanic (also a James Cameron film), though I didn't (and still don't) care much for it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
The nostalgia probably came from the complete and utter lack of originality.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 01:24:41 AM »
The nostalgia probably came from the complete and utter lack of originality.
Oh yeah, that movie was not original; it recycled and reused so many recurring themes, ideas, and concepts. That's almost certainly the reason for that notion I experienced. All things considered, it was done quite well!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 01:53:28 AM »
Cameron's films do suffer from one dimensional characters and cliches from time to time, but are great in terms of visuals.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »
Cameron's films do suffer from one dimensional characters and cliches from time to time, but are great in terms of visuals.

I mean they are usually superficial films but they are entertaining.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 07:10:50 AM »
So, I've changed my opinion of him in the last year or so. Sure, Avatar sucked, and I'm sick of this romanticism of the Titanic that he's responsible for, and of course even hearing about the Titanic, and all this money hes made off of this stuff.

But, instead of taking his money and buying 20 houses, and 50 super cars, and generally acting like a dick, like a lot of celebs do. He takes his money, and invests it in science, and scientific progression. Which in turn, benefits us all at least in some way even it's in a small way. For that, I'm going against the crowd here and say that I like James Cameron, and I think he's awesome. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »
So, I've changed my opinion of him in the last year or so. Sure, Avatar sucked, and I'm sick of this romanticism of the Titanic that he's responsible for, and of course even hearing about the Titanic, and all this money hes made off of this stuff.

But, instead of taking his money and buying 20 houses, and 50 super cars, and generally acting like a dick, like a lot of celebs do. He takes his money, and invests it in science, and scientific progression. Which in turn, benefits us all at least in some way even it's in a small way. For that, I'm going against the crowd here and say that I like James Cameron, and I think he's awesome. 

Pretty much how I felt about him.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »
Yeah whether you like him or his movies or not, you have to credit him for his role in the technology he was pivotal in developing just to make Avatar.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »
Yea he did do the deep sea thing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common-movie-arguments-that-are-always-wrong/

There's something I have to bookmark.  It should help explain to idiots why plot and causality matter even in fantasy movies.  It's not an easy thing to do.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 09:25:20 AM »
There's something I have to bookmark.  It should help explain to idiots why plot and causality matter even in fantasy movies.  It's not an easy thing to do.

Not going to use the word idiot, but I remember being exasperated by some of the defense people gave to M Night Shamyalan's 'Lady in the Water' on these boards. Yes it is a fantasy/fairy tale, but that doesn't excuse anything.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 09:02:39 AM »
Heheh!  That's my problem with Signs.  The people who like it say it has nothing to do with science, so everything that tramples on science doesn't matter.  It matters a great deal the moment you make it a part of your plot or setting.  Don't want it to intrude?  Make them demons instead of aliens.  You can get away with a lot more nonsense there.  The Sixth Sense works because you can make that shit up as you go along, within reason.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
For me, it was Book of Eli when at the end they were like
(click to show/hide)
Nope, done, fuck you, I'm out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
Not going to use the word idiot, but I remember being exasperated by some of the defense people gave to M Night Shamyalan's 'Lady in the Water' on these boards. Yes it is a fantasy/fairy tale, but that doesn't excuse anything.
Haha I enjoyed it :P Well, not too much just mildly, but I fully understand your dismay with it. It's how I feel about almost every M Night Shyamalan film. He destroyed The Last Airbender.

Robot Chicken: "What a twist!"

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #24 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 11:06:53 AM »
So no Battle Angel Alita movie? :(

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
So no Battle Angel Alita movie? :(
Damn, that would have been awesome.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
OK so that's proof that something was lost in translation. Cameron is still working on that and that's his next project. He has been working on it for ages, and I read some stuff about it recently.

edit: I AM PROBABLY WRONG!
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 03:56:44 AM by Pugnate »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 11, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
Yeah it does kinda sound like something was missing and/or taken out of context a bit. Who knows though?  I can't say I'd blame the guy for chasing the money...especially when documentaries seem to be his thing now.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
Last time I heard about Battle Angel Alita, Cameron said he was going to do Avatar 2 (and maybe 3) first. Originally Avatar was supposedly a test for Alita.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 04:00:54 AM »
Heheh!  That's my problem with Signs.  The people who like it say it has nothing to do with science, so everything that tramples on science doesn't matter.  It matters a great deal the moment you make it a part of your plot or setting.  Don't want it to intrude?  Make them demons instead of aliens.  You can get away with a lot more nonsense there.  The Sixth Sense works because you can make that shit up as you go along, within reason.

Well... Signs was different. It was told through the perspective of a small family. The information the film presented about the aliens and the invasion was the information the family was digesting.

I am sure they could have come up with some 'shit' about the aliens being desperate... or some slave race being forced to act as scouts... or anything had the question been raised in the film itself.

What I am trying to say is that had the film had a global perspective then I am sure you would have found something to answer those obvious questions.

Lady in the Water was a different case all together, I feel.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
Oh come on.  Advanced alien ships invade with . . . shambling brainless monsters who die if they get wet . . . on a planet covered with water, even in the atmosphere?!  No environment protection at all?  These guys were there for the audience to see.  They were not a 2nd-hand news report.  In fact, this is a perfect example of what that article you linked was talking about. You can't suddenly throw in a twist that completely invalidates everything you saw before.  If a glass of water in your face kills you, then you couldn't have been stalking around dew-covered grass and cornfields for days.  Not possible.  I'm not even going to touch all the mystic crap, because as I said, you can make that shit up as you go along.  Swing away!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
Hmmm.... that's a good point. I didn't think of that. If a glass of water kills them then why not the atmosphere.

I genuinely didn't think of that. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Oh come on.  Advanced alien ships invade with . . . shambling brainless monsters who die if they get wet . . . on a planet covered with water, even in the atmosphere?!  No environment protection at all?  These guys were there for the audience to see.  They were not a 2nd-hand news report.  In fact, this is a perfect example of what that article you linked was talking about. You can't suddenly throw in a twist that completely invalidates everything you saw before.  If a glass of water in your face kills you, then you couldn't have been stalking around dew-covered grass and cornfields for days.  Not possible.  I'm not even going to touch all the mystic crap, because as I said, you can make that shit up as you go along.  Swing away!

Ahahahahaha.  No wonder that guy hasn't worked in years, right?  God, I hope I'm right.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 14, 2012, 06:27:49 AM »
Cobra has a point with the issues with Signs, but I still like the movie.  I'm able to overlook that flaw.  I also liked The Sixth Sense.  All of Shamalyan's other movies were garbage.