Author Topic: Ronald Reagan didn't spend his entire first term blaming Jimmy Carter  (Read 6055 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Ronald Reagan didn't spend his entire first term blaming Jimmy Carter
« on: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

I saw someone post something like this on Facebook yesterday, except the text was superimposed over the image at this link.

It actually kind of pissed me off.  I think Reagan was a great President and a great leader; however, what is with Republicans trotting this out this week?  Didn't Reagan explode the federal deficit unlike any before him (save for maybe FDR)?  And isn't that exactly what many Republicans are getting in a tizzy with Obama about?

Politics piss me off so bad.  People want it both ways.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Ronald Reagan didn't spend his entire first term blaming Jimmy Carter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
I'm sure people weren't pinning everything on Reagan from day one in office, either.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 29, 2012, 06:42:06 AM »
Reagan is the Republican version of Bill Clinton.  He's the president they get all nostalgic, warm and fuzzy about. 

American politics is a farce.  I guarantee you a factually incorrect Facebook post that gets shared voraciously will have more impact than a televised debate on who someone will vote for.  And that's not really so much an indictment of politics as it is the gullibility of American people.  Most of us don't want to form our own opinions.  We want someone to tell us what to think.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 29, 2012, 08:02:36 AM »
And that's why democracy doesn't work. Too many dependencies with some uncontrollable variables. Democracy is easy to abuse because it relies on honesty; an immeasurable factor.

I can see democracy work but we will need to filter out all the crap. Smear campaigns, deceptive tactics, all that crap would have to go out the window for a democratic process to work effectively.

I'm just in "politics" mode due to recent events in Egypt.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 29, 2012, 09:02:12 AM »
A ton of positive change could happen if the majority would stop bickering with each other and focus their attention to what's actually happening in Washington.  I've never been too much of a conspiracy theorist, but one could definitely see the advantages to the government of keeping the population divided and focused on each other.

I'm basically at the point now that if you identify as a hardcore Republican or Democrat I automatically discount your opinion.  Politics shouldn't play out like we're blindly rooting for our favorite football team.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 29, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
A ton of positive change could happen if the majority would stop bickering with each other and focus their attention to what's actually happening in Washington.  I've never been too much of a conspiracy theorist, but one could definitely see the advantages to the government of keeping the population divided and focused on each other.

I'm basically at the point now that if you identify as a hardcore Republican or Democrat I automatically discount your opinion.  Politics shouldn't play out like we're blindly rooting for our favorite football team.
I'm with you on that. People seem to want fall under certain umbrellas without taking much into account. As though falling into one of those categories automatically relinquishes them of any responsibility to make conscious decisions.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Monday, July 02, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
My Facebook is always blowing up with dumb crap like this.  It's going to be a fun next few months.  And by fun I mean battles of misinformation.
Suck it, Pugnate.