Author Topic: Project Eternity from Obsidian  (Read 5522 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Project Eternity from Obsidian
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 12:05:55 AM »
This is coming out today with the official title as Pillars of Eternity and it looks pretty sweet. Isometric environments feel very old school and look super detailed. Even the interface looks really nice. The combat is real time and you can pause anytime. Here's the GB quicklook.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »
Check out the PC Gamer review, they loved it! 92%

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 26, 2015, 09:25:36 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 05:16:17 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 01:45:15 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 02:43:55 AM »
Is that a spoiler in the first sentence?  How can an unexpected event set a mood when a review blurts it out in its opening line?  Prepare to be shocked . . . oh, wait.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 07:16:28 AM »
"Just half an hour after Pillars of Eternity introduced a character whose wanderlust backstory was so eloquently told that I was sure she’d be at my side for the rest of the campaign, I found her dead in a tragic mishap she’d brought on herself. "

That one? How do you mean? It is a Baldur's Gate styled RPG where party members can die all the time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
Heh, yeah.  I thought it was weird to talk about some surprise setting the mood, then spoil it, all right in the first sentence.  Reviews have gotten spoiler-heavy, and not just for games.  Movies I also have to be careful how much reading I do before I watch them.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
Yea I don't even read reviews anymore since I can judge pretty quickly if I want it or not. For the most part games slide into some archetype or another where little explanation or overview is needed to explain what its about or how good it is other than a quick couple sentences. Plus its just easy these days to find out if something is good or noticeable because the people I follow are talking about it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »
That part was part of the intro. I was surprised that I had lost my party member at no fault of my own! It was sad but it set the tone for the game and that I would have to learn to accept loss.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, March 30, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
Bluesnews -> WARNING - Nasty game-breaking inventory bug found in PoE.

Pillars of Eternity, the crowdfunded throwback to the great Infinity Engine role-playing games of yesteryear, has a game-breaking bug that developer Obsidian is working to fix.
Meantime: Do not double-click items to equip them to your character. Drag them to a slot in the inventory screen.

Double-clicking, for some reason, removes all passive, racial and permanent buffs — forever.
While players may reload an old save and proceed just fine, obviously that forsakes any progress between that save and triggering the bug.

The bug is described at length in this thread on Obsidian's official forums.
In this reply, an Obsidian developer says that they do have a fix for the bug and that they're "trying to make it retroactive, so it will fix any save games that have this problem."

If the bug strikes party members, removing them from the party and then adding them back seems to fix the problem.
Others report that though passive buffs do not show up, they appear to still be present and working.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »
If you haven't heard yet, Chris Avellone (legendary RPG game designer) has left Obsidian.

I have feeling he might just keep freelancing wherever on whatever "passion" projects (like he's been doing) to other studios or just wind-up back w/ Brian Fargo (who he worked w/ back at Interplay on the old Fallout games) at inXile.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 28, 2020, 08:19:22 PM »
Right now, Pillars of Eternity 1: Definitive Edition (with all Expansions) is $6 on GOG right now for another 10 hours or so:
https://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_definitive_edition

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 02, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
I'm not really into the RTS CRPGs, but I've heard with Deadfire you can turn it into a TBS. I'm all about that, I would love to find another game similar to Divinity: Original Sin II.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 03, 2020, 05:55:45 PM »
I'm not really into the RTS CRPGs, but I've heard with Deadfire you can turn it into a TBS. I'm all about that, I would love to find another game similar to Divinity: Original Sin II.

Deadfire's backlogged here - but yeahm that can be turned into Turn-Based.

Also, Pillars of Eternity 1: Definitive Edition and Tyranny: Gold will be FREE next week on Epic Store's freebies.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Friday, December 04, 2020, 09:54:50 AM »
Deadfire's backlogged here - but yeahm that can be turned into Turn-Based.

Also, Pillars of Eternity 1: Definitive Edition and Tyranny: Gold will be FREE next week on Epic Store's freebies.

I don't think I've looked into Tyranny yet, let me check that one out.