Author Topic: Dark Souls II  (Read 16977 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dark Souls II -> Update: Durante's new mod GeDoSaTo released.
« Reply #80 on: Monday, June 09, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
I love a hard game as much as the next person

I am fairly certain you do not.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: Monday, June 09, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Of course I do, but I don't consider broken mechanics a challenge that people should be happy over. It reminds me of some of those old NES platformers where you would jump and go straight through the ledge of the platform. Sure thats hard, but it's also broken.

I'm not saying Dark Souls is a broken game, but if a different game had the same issues as this one, people would take it out in the public square and flog it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #82 on: Monday, June 09, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
So ... you're saying it's broken, but you're not saying it's broken? I'm confused. Either way, other than a couple select circumstances that could have used a little balancing, I thought the game was spot-on and perfectly fair. So I dunno.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: Monday, June 09, 2014, 09:04:49 PM »
What I'm trying to say is that this game has some broken gameplay mechanics, but nothing too severe to break the game, it just makes the game extremely frustrating. I knew I was going to die a lot when I bought this game, I die all the time, it doesn't bother me. What pisses me off is when the game messes up with the camera or hit detection. Usually that is something I can look past, but as we all know, you have to be precise in this game. You can't make too many mistakes and I just want the camera and hit detection to do what it's supposed to do.

I've seen a lot of other people bring this up as well, but nothing about it in the professional reviews.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #84 on: Monday, June 09, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »
I get what you are saying. You are saying difficulty due to the game mechanics is fair, but difficulty due to bad design i.e. wonky camera or poor hit detection is frustrating.

I agree. Same is true for any game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »
Okay, I get you. I guess I can see that, but maybe that's just a matter of opinion ... I didn't feel that way about it at all. I felt like the controls and camera were great. Demons's Souls was a little more like what you're describing for me, but Dark Souls always felt just about right. Maybe not perfect, but about as good as any game really gets it. And things like not being able to swing your sword in a narrow hallway aren't broken or wonky, I mean that's an intentional design element. Were I writing a review, I wouldn't have mentioned those things either. I feel like 99% of my deaths were related to proper game mechanics, not fighting with the camera or some such, except in a couple circumstances (there are definitely a few circumstances where things are a little broken).

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
I honestly can't fault anyone for disliking the game because it is frustrating, especially if this is your first experience having not played Demon's Souls which was my case. I went into it blind which some people have done and still enjoyed it, but I quickly found out that reading about the basics, like how the humanity system works, character classes and the items you choose from when you make your character helped me a good bit. The first character I made was a thief which I found was a mistake, I made it to the gargoyles (I should say I struggled my way to the gargoyles) and found that boss fight to be completely impossible. I pretty much rage quit, and didn't want to go back. But after doing the research I mentioned above, I made a class that's more for beginners because I think most of the difficulty of the game, at least in the beginning is grasping how the combat works. Getting down your characters swinging animations, the timing, and learning how to exploit the enemy AI. Exploiting is the key word here, because that's exactly what it all comes down to, discovering the easiest way to take shit down, including bosses. You can easily look all the boss fights up, but trying to figure it out for yourself is the real reward.

As for it being bad design... some would say it's intentional, I would almost believe that From Software is full of a bunch of fucking sadist assholes, I've had many stupid deaths from wonky camera angles and weird physics but those things weren't prominent or consistent. There's also shit that will set you up to die if you don't know its coming, not to mention some ridiculous boss fights. So yea, the odds are stacked against you. However, once you get through an areas bullshit, know where all the booby traps are, how to handle that spot that cluster fucks you with a bunch of mobs, you can pretty much get through it in like a fraction of the time it did the first time it took you, there's an easy way to get through nearly everything in this game. So don't be discouraged if you lose a shit ton of souls, that isn't the real progress, it's knowing the tricks of the levels. So as I said, I recommend looking up those basics, also how magic works because I had no idea how to use any of it through the whole game and it practically makes some parts a hell of a lot easier. Also weapon crafting... because I honestly don't know how a sane person would figure that out otherwise.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
As for it being bad design... some would say it's intentional, I would almost believe that From Software is full of a bunch of fucking sadist assholes . . .

I just spit coffee on my keyboard.  Thanks a lot.   ;D

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »
I had a fair amount of fun with Dark Souls on PC.  Thinking strategically to get through areas, finding ways to cheese the game, etc was great.  I eventually hit a spot where I felt the game was cheesing me a bit (Somewhere around that rotting dragon ....I think.  I'd go through the "sewers" and there was one ledge I'd jump down and the camera would wonk out.  There was some enemy down there that would curse me and there was maybe 3-4 times that I'd be cursed in the time between the camera wonking out and fixing itself).  Sure, there was probably a way to get around it easily, and maybe my stats were all wrong, but dealing with it became a time sink and I just didn't care that much.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 06:26:44 PM »
I will play this game again, but I just can't sit down and play for hours and hours, I don't really game like that anyways. i just needed to vent, this game pisses me off when it doesn't work sometimes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
They just announced a next gen (or well current gen by now) release of Dark Souls 2 for PS4, XBO, and PC. Bundled with the DLC and improved graphics. Will also release on PS3/360 but without the improved graphics I guess.

One downside that Patrick Klepek confirmed is the PC update is a separate purchase. Current owners will get some of the update in a patch but if you want the fancy new graphics then you have to buy it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, November 25, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
Wow, thats some bullshit for PC owners. Glad I haven't grabbed it yet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
Is this a new trend?  Diablo 3 recently went through the same bullshit with Reaper of Souls.  Maybe it's that "Souls" word that does it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, November 26, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Namco hinted on twitter that there will likely be some kind of upgrade path for owners of the original game on PC. Other games have done discounts if you owner earlier titles in a series on Steam so it will likely be something along those lines. Still, kinda sucks that it ends up being a new game listing instead of a patch and some DLC to download. Its the PC, guys. We know about expansions.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dark Souls II
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
PC Gamer -> Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sins PC users who are using mods are noticing they have possibly been "softbanned."

A Dark Souls 2 "softban" is essentially an exile into a realm of cheaters: Softbanned players can continue to play, but their online interactions are limited to other softbanned people—a much smaller pool of players than would normally be available. It's typically a punishment meted out for cheating, but Kotaku reports that a growing number of Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin players are saying they've been softbanned simply for using the DS2fix mod.

DS2Fix, as the title suggests, clears a number of technical issues with Scholars of the First Sin, including a significant weapon durability bug and a couple of big crash bugs. It also, according to its Nexus Mods description, will not trigger softbans. And mod creator Alessanro De Micheli told Kotaku that, unless the game itself has changed, he's confident DS2fix isn't the problem.

"Unless Fromsoft patches the game to recognize DS2Fix64, it cannot be detected (because the game doesn’t know what to look for)," he said. "So, the only logical conclusion here is that the game is actually flagging any hook / injector—that means that even by using x360ce, SweetFX, ReShade, DXTory or the Durazno Dead-zone fix for controllers will put users at risk of getting banned. Being DS2Fix64 the only ‘SotFS-made’ tool available it also is the most exposed one to accusations—players would likely think DS2Fix is at fault, not anything else they’ve been using for years."

A lively argument about whether or not DS2Fix is the culprit is underway in this Reddit thread, among others, which unfortunately just highlights the fact that nobody really knows what's causing the softbans. It's quite possible that DS2Fix is the problem, despite De Micheli's insistence that it's not, and in fact the sheer number of complaints has prompted him to reach out to Bandai Namco for official confirmation, one way or the other.

We've done the same, and will update if and when we receive a response. In the meantime, we strongly recommend avoiding the DS2Fix mod, and other injectors like SweetFX with Dark Souls 2, until the situation is cleared up. Better safe than softbanned, right?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dark Souls II
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 05:22:06 AM »
Eurogamer -> Dark Souls series has surpassed 8.5 million sales - with 3.25 million of those coming from the PC version.

Dark Souls series sales surpass 8.5 million
Praise the sum!
By Robert Purchese Published 01/07/2015

The brilliant Dark Souls series has surpassed 8.5m sales, and more than 3.25m of those were on PC.

The numbers come from a Japanese presentation by From Software, reported by Famitsu and relayed/made sense of on NeoGAF.

According to the numbers:
    Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition ("with Artorias of the Abyss") has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
    Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
    That's a total of 8,504,000 sold

The PC-specific number comes from SteamSpy. According to SteamSpy:
    Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition has sold 1,977,541 (+/- 33,243) units on Steam
    Dark Souls 2 has sold 994,455 (+/- 23,621) units on Steam
    Dark Souls 2: Scholars of the First Sin has sold 256,772 (+/- 12,021) units on Steam
    That's a total of 3,228,768 sold (+/- 68,885)

Dark Souls wasn't originally intended for PC, which seems ludicrous now. It was a fan petition - with more than 100,000 signatures - that encouraged publisher Bandai Namco to go ahead with it.

The PC version turned out to be a ropey port but was made good by patron saint of the Dark Souls community, Durante, and the DSFix mod.

Dark Souls 2 was released on PC as well as PS3 and Xbox 360 from the off - well, almost a month late, but more or less the same.

Dark Souls 3, announced only last month at E3, will be a PC, PS4 and Xbox One game. The godfather of Souls, Hidetaka Miyazaki, will co-direct it. Look for the game in early 2016, apparently.