Thanks for that post mortem. I am very much in agreement, about what I have experienced so far. As I do with all games that give me so much freedom and suck me in so deep, I'm taking my sweet time. I can't get enough of the sailing/piracy thing. It's starting to feel a bit repetitive, but I keep doing it anyway. I still don't have that diving bell, for example. Sweeeeet . . . time . . .
I'm so very happy for the generous checkpoints in that mainstay of AC games, the absolute-stealth missions. I hate it when just being seen by the enemy basically kills you off and moves you back. I've never liked that mechanic in any game. It's less frustrating here, because you never seem to lose more than a few minutes of progress on a desync. I was glad to see them mix it up sometimes, encouraging stealth, but allowing other tactics and even combat.
Bugs are so scarce that it feels odd to run into one now and then. I had a funny one last night when the game wouldn't let me into the final room of a captured castle to kill its leader. It kept saying I had to become anonymous to interact. But the only people who kept getting these yellow bubbles of awareness were a couple of my crew, who were following me around, making small talk. The game wouldn't let me attack them. Finally I picked up a powder keg, set it down between them, and shot it. They blew up, and then I was able to open the door. Haha!
I can't do the legendary ships at all yet. I'm alarmed about that because I'm as upgraded as I can get without all those elite plans. (I have to get further in the story to access those maps and treasures, I assume.) I've tried 3 different ones now, and they all take me down while still showing most of their health. Kinda discouraging. I'm not giving up, though.
Edit:
Yea its pretty cool. I sort of stopped messing with it so much as I was gaining money from it too quickly and thus making the game easier, I enjoyed boarding ships and plundering them for money instead. I only used it for just getting the unlocks.
It's even easier when you exploit the simple battle logic. [spoiler]A fast schooner in the first slot and a man-o-war in the third slot will always kick ass. The middle slot is flexible, but I usually stick a second fast schooner in there as well. The enemy always attacks the largest ship first, until it's gone. The third slot grants a defense bonus, so putting a tank there completely shields your other ships. The first slot grants more speed, and a 70-speed schooner there will always fire first. Often it will fire twice before the opposition can do anything. Also, you can "re-roll" the enemy's attack ships as many times as you want. If you don't like what you see, back out and choose the battle again, until it's as easy as the peril of the route will allow.[/spoiler]