Author Topic: Chromecast  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Chromecast
« on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
I could have sworn we already had a thread on Chromecast.

Anyway, mine just came in today and I've been messing around with it. It's pretty sweet! For $35 totally worthwhile as a streaming solution.

It's not an autonomous device; it does require another device streaming to it e.g. PC, phone, tablet. The list of apps that support it is gradually growing. What's going to make the Chromecast stand out is how easy it is to instantly stream to it. Google ought to press on the effort to make this functionality mainstream.

The one downside to the Chromecast is that it requires a power supply since power cannot be transmitted through HDMI. It comes with its own adapter and USB cable. I decided to test something out and fortunately it worked: if your TV has a micro-USB slot there's a good chance it can charge as well, so my Chromecast is now plugged into the TV via HDMI with a small micro-USB cable tethering it to the TV's USB for power.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Chromecast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 26, 2013, 10:10:04 PM »
I got one for Christmas.  Rather, I got a picture of one for Christmas.  They ordered it too late and it should be here in the next day or two.

Never really heard of it prior to this, but I'm sure i'll find great things to use it for.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 27, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
I got one awhile ago. It is a great concept and a great price but needs way more support than it currently has. I'd love for Amazon Instant Video, Vudu, and MLB.tv to support it. I think this is Google's fault for how they are handling the non-beta SDK.

I also think lack of Miracast support is a lost opportunity. So many TVs (like all of mine) lack  support for that technology but it seems like all newer Android devices are dropping MHL and HDMI in favor of Miracast. That sucks, because I used to use my Galaxy Nexus with a MHL adapter and Bluetooth keyboard as a sort of mobile computer in hotels.  Now I have a Moto X and it only does Miracast. If the Chromecast supported Miracast, I could have used it. Its not like hotel TV's support it or will anytime soon.

It also only seems to support Dolby Digital Plus for multichannel audio, not that it matters for me because my TV only passes multichannel to my receiver if the source is the internal tuner.