Author Topic: Lets talk about tires  (Read 7841 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Lets talk about tires
« on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »
Because I need two new ones, and as I've stated before I know very little.  So, what exactly are touring tires?  Same as radials?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Lets talk about tires
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »
I hate tires.  They are so damn expensive and you always need new ones when you are in the worst possible position to afford them.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 07:51:26 PM »
I think all passenger-car tires are now radials.  "Touring" is just some advertising moniker slapped on by a tire company, maybe to differentiate them from "performance" or "all-weather", etc.

Make sure you get the right size tires for your car.  This doesn't just mean the wheel size.  There's a measurement which should be stamped right on your tires.  It gives you several bits of important info.  For example, 255 45 ZR 17 means 255-millimeters wide, with a sidewall height which is 45% of this width, a high speed rating (150 mph or something, I forget) and a wheel size of 17".  Make sure to get the same size as whatever your car has now (assuming it has the original tires, or were replaced properly before).

The harder the rubber compound of a tire, the longer it lasts.  The softer the compound, the better it handles.

I can keep trying to remember details, but maybe it's better if you go check out this site.  It seems to have a lot of useful info, and you can find out the size tires your car needs.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 07:56:57 PM »
Sweet, thanks.  Yeah, I have the tire size memorized (same size as my last car), and that's the key thing, but I was getting quite a bit confused looking at tires wondering why some said radial, some said touring, and some said all season.  Generally, I knew they were all 'all season', and suspected that they were all radial, but wasn't sure about the touring aspect.  I also hate tires, but my front ones are bald (had to replace the rear/old front ones in the spring) and I've been skidding like an idiot with a deathwish every time it rains.  It's only a matter of time until something bad happens.

And it's alright to mix different tires (same size, same general speed, mileage, and temp rating, but different brands/lines) as long as you keep the two back the same and the two front the same right?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 09:31:14 PM »
How much do decent tires cost there? I had to replace one and cost me nearly $50. :( :( :(

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
I don't know what prices are like there, but here that would be a really cheap tire.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 11:11:46 PM »
Wow. Well I am glad I get my tire punctures here.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 11:18:04 PM »
And it's alright to mix different tires (same size, same general speed, mileage, and temp rating, but different brands/lines) as long as you keep the two back the same and the two front the same right?

I would try to keep the same exact tires all around.  Tires behave differently based on all sorts of factors, one important one being tread design, others being rubber compound and sidewall stiffness.  By mixing them front and rear, it's even possible that your car would understeer in some road conditions, and oversteer in others.  If you always drive sedately, and you know how to steer out of skids without any trouble, then there's less to worry about.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 02:53:51 AM »
Hmmm... uptill a few weeks ago all my tires were the same make. Now my front two tires are cheap North Korean ones while the back ones are decent ones.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »
If ya gotta mix em, that's the way to do it.  Keep that back end planted, and let the front skid if it has to.  Just don't try to corner on dimes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 12:39:04 PM »
The traffic is so congested here, I couldn't corner without crushing an old double amputee beggar and smashing into a donkey.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 14, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
 ;D  Hahaha!