Watched the first three episodes on a plane the other day and just finished the rest up now. Great series.
[spoiler]I was expecting something tragic with the ending and was quite surprised when it didn't go down. As much as a crumble into insanity for one of the detectives would have fit with the themes, I have no problem with everything working out. I think there was room for another episode (or just cutting of some filler) to expand upon some themes I would have liked to see more in depth: about the killer, maybe more of a trek to find him, etc. You know, because NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND HAS EVER PAINTED THEIR FUCKING EARS WHILE PAINTING A HOUSE (Once it was pretty much revealed who the killer was before the detectives made the connection I thought the green ears would be sound muffs...paint?). Perhaps have had the finale be twice as long with more killer flashbacks (did that motherfucker sew his father's mouth shut?)
Like everyone else here, I thought it started up very strong and ended a bit weak. Still good, but Ledeux seemed like a huge menace, even though he had about 5 min of screen time. That entire time I was pretty sure shit was about to hit the fan. The final killer, however, just didn't have the same effect on me, no matter how creepy they tried to make him.
Anyways, I really enjoyed it and would like to see what a second season brings to the table. I had no idea where this was going (if it was going to be really dark, sort of dark, have a super natural aspect, etc) and I think it'd be interesting to see what they do in the future and if they revisit some of the same elements, go in a completely different direction, or whatever. I will say that I read a couple of threads on this on reddit after and the general reply to any citiciism of the show and it's resolution is to go read The King in Yellow and then watch the series again. THAT'S bullshit and something that worries me - the fanbase for this show is going to fucking suck. [/spoiler]