Author Topic: True Detective  (Read 179920 times)

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 03:15:59 PM »
Just finished watching S2E2. [spoiler]I can't believe they killed off Colin Farrell!  His performance had me the most impressed of the four.[/spoiler]

In any case, I'm all in on this season.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »
Well, at least they pulled their George RR Martin way sooner than "Red Wedding".  :)  Makes it easier to swallow.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 04:23:39 PM »
[spoiler]Rubber buckshot![/spoiler]  :D
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 04:46:41 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
True Detective - Season 2

NOTE -> SPOILERS Galore in the links below:

TVLine.com
TVLine - Recap of Season 2 Episode 8.

BuzzFeed.
Buzzfeed -> Recap on Season 2 up to Episode 7.

Polygon's Analysis, Watch-through, Overviews, Etc:
Season 2 - Episode 1
Season 2 - Episodes 2 + 3.
Season 2 - Episode 4.
Season 2 - Episode 5.
Season 2 - Episode 6
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 10:25:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline PyroMenace

  • Senior Member
  • *
  • Posts: 3,930
Re: True Detective
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 12:52:35 AM »
True Detective - Season 2


NOTE -> SPOILERS Galore in the links below:

Polygon's Analysis, Watch-through, Overviews, Etc:
Season 2 - Episode 1
Season 2 - Episodes 2 + 3.



All of a sudden I don't want to watch this show anymore.

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: True Detective
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 06:22:10 AM »
[spoiler]Rubber buckshot![/spoiler]  :D
[spoiler]He'd still probably be dead in RL. There was an actor that had blanks in a handgun and "shot" himself in the head and died because the mere force of the blast broke off a chunk of his skull and caused significant brain damage. Granted, Colin Farrell's character wasn't shot in the head, but he'd have some serious internal bleeding issues going on.[/spoiler]

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
[spoiler]Depends on the powder charge?  Police depts have been known to use rubber bullets on crowds of students.  I know because I was in one.  Ohio State, seventies.[/spoiler]  Not disagreeing, though.  That would have been possible.  [spoiler]People have gone into cardiac arrest and died from being tased too.[/spoiler]

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: True Detective
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
[spoiler]Depends on the powder charge?  Police depts have been known to use rubber bullets on crowds of students.  I know because I was in one.  Ohio State, seventies.[/spoiler]  Not disagreeing, though.  That would have been possible.  [spoiler]People have gone into cardiac arrest and died from being tased too.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Oh yeah, I'm aware that rubber bullets are used as a crowd deterrent.  I'm referring more to the second shot in the show, which was at point blank range.[/spoiler]

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #48 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 06:23:37 AM »
All of a sudden I don't want to watch this show anymore.

That's the thing w/ this show - there's just so much going on here. You either want to hack it and stick with it...or not.

I don't know what it is about TD S2 here, but I still want to keep watching - and this isn't anywhere as great as Season 1. Season 1 was close to perfection - new TV show freshness, the casting, the writing, the dialogue, direction, & everything else you can think of. S2, on the other hand - eh, not so much. Like Batman: AK (game) - it just feels like TD S2 is trying to go for, aim, + do so much on an epic-level, it just all ain't sticking together for so many reasons that...I don't even know where to begin here.

I think it could be b/c in S2: there's so many characters + so much going on, I still have to see where the hell all of these characters, stories + threads go...even despite some dialogue & characters feeling off to me. Namely, a lot of the dialogue feels even forced and/or stilted - often to sum things up; spit philosophy; and other things that make me say, "Characters don't really talk like this to each other!" It sounds more like the writer talking (Nic P.) and less of what the actual characters would say to another. Plus, too many characters feel like Rusty Cohle (Matthew M. from S1) and don't need to be - especially since many are not portrayed as  bat-crap crazy; aren't in the Bayou (which was just an odd and interesting setting, so it fit for Rusty's characters); + b/c he don't even have a foil to his character to balance the madness out (which Woody Harrelson was in S1).
 
Regardless, I think S2E5 last night was one of the better episodes this season. It feels like this show is getting better with each episode (I think S2E1 was the real low-point of the season) - but it just ain't ever going to be on S1's near-perfection level of execution.

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: True Detective
« Reply #49 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 12:28:29 PM »
Great post, D. I really like the point you make about Rust having a foil. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, though. Sure, Marty was a little more sane and served as something of a counterweight but he had plenty of demons of his own.

I do agree with your overall assessment. Everyone is caught up with saying TDS2 isn't as good as TDS1. Well... what is? Honestly, TDS1 is one of the best shows I've ever seen grace television if not the very best. You can't hit grand slams every at bat.  Taken by itself, TDS2 is a pretty good show and a worthwhile watch.

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #50 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
I still have my gripes about the show (like having too many characters who have "issues") but overall I'm starting to get into it. Things are starting to make sense. :)

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #51 on: Monday, July 20, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
Great post, D. I really like the point you make about Rust having a foil. I'm not sure I completely agree with it, though. Sure, Marty was a little more sane and served as something of a counterweight but he had plenty of demons of his own.
Well, you do make a good point - Woody's character (Martin) was not 100% foil, since he did have his own problems + demons. But, still - most of the time, namely when Rusty + Marty were together - they were foils to each other. Martin was often way more logical + sane, when compared to Rusty - especially when they were in the same scene.

Quote
I do agree with your overall assessment. Everyone is caught up with saying TDS2 isn't as good as TDS1. Well... what is? Honestly, TDS1 is one of the best shows I've ever seen grace television if not the very best. You can't hit grand slams every at bat.  Taken by itself, TDS2 is a pretty good show and a worthwhile watch.

That's the thing - everybody sees something close to perfect and loves it; and then when the next project comes out from the same person comes & tries a lot of different things, everybody seems to shit on it completely. This has happened on so many things - movies, games, TV shows, etc - I don't know where to begins. Look at Dragon Age: Origins to DA2; True Detective Season 1 to Season 2; Rocksteady's Batman trilogy with Batman: Arkham City to Arkham Knight; Kanye's Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to Yeezus; Nas from Illmatic to It Was Written. Many of these things did something way different from their previous entry - and most of those were overly + heavily criticized in their sequels by fans. Fans, more or less, wanted more of the same - and instead, they got something else entirely and don't know what the hell to make of it.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, July 21, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »
I'm up to date on this show now.  Not bad.  My biggest problem is trying to keep tabs on what the hell is going on with everybody.  The Vince Vaughn character in particular is confusing.  Too many open threads.  Perhaps it's my own imperfect attention.  We'll see where it goes from here.  I did like E5, mostly because it finally seems to be [spoiler]bringing the 3 detectives together as one cohesive unit, with aligned motivations[/spoiler].

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: True Detective
« Reply #53 on: Monday, August 03, 2015, 09:10:19 AM »
I too am having trouble sometimes understanding all of the plot threads, especially with Vince Vaughn, but I am really enjoying the show.  S2E6 was fantastic!

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: True Detective
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
I too am having trouble sometimes understanding all of the plot threads, especially with Vince Vaughn, but I am really enjoying the show.  S2E6 was fantastic!

Episode 7 is pretty good too. I feel like a lot of the early episodes were establishing stuff, and shit is about to go down now, and it will continue through the end of the season.

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: True Detective
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 04:59:38 AM »
Wait, the last one is E7?  I thought it was E6.  I didn't realize the season was just about to end already.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: True Detective
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 05:10:12 AM »
Wait, the last one is E7?  I thought it was E6.  I didn't realize the season was just about to end already.

Yeah the one from 2 days ago (the 2nd) was E7.

Wait, IMDB only lists 8 episodes. And season 1 only had 8 episodes. Shit, there's only one episode left!

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »
Shit, there's only one episode left!
And it's going to be around 90 minutes, as well.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »
And then [spoiler]there were two.[/spoiler]

I'm going to have to rewatch the season in one or two sittings after it's over.  I have such a hard time following everything that's going on.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: True Detective
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 03:16:20 AM »
So I'm lame, whatever, but while watching episode 7 I paused it when [spoiler]The list Frank hands the guy when he says he needs some firepower only has 10 items on it, then repeats the same 10 items again.[/spoiler]

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
Hahaha!  Freeze frames are the undoing of many a face and plot device.

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
So I'm lame, whatever, but while watching episode 7 I paused it when [spoiler]The list Frank hands the guy when he says he needs some firepower only has 10 items on it, then repeats the same 10 items again.[/spoiler]

Hahaha!  Freeze frames are the undoing of many a face and plot device.

Speculating here for Season Finale.

[spoiler]List x2 = could be 2 people.
Might mean he'll have someone help him take down the Russians.
Ray has interacted with him here and there - could be him.

If Frank ever really helps Ray find out who actually really raped Frank's ex-wife (since we got swerved 2 episodes back w/ Ray killing the wrong guy, thanks to Frank's poor info)...
...then Ray might owe him a favor here.[/spoiler]

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »
And then [spoiler]there were two.[/spoiler]

I'm going to have to rewatch the season in one or two sittings after it's over.  I have such a hard time following everything that's going on.

This could help you a bit:

SPOILERS GALORE in link below.
Buzzfeed -> Recap on Season 2 up to Episode 7.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: True Detective
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, August 05, 2015, 07:04:39 PM »
Speculating here for Season Finale.

[spoiler]List x2 = could be 2 people.
Might mean he'll have someone help him take down the Russians.
Ray has interacted with him here and there - could be him.

If Frank ever really helps Ray find out who actually really raped Frank's ex-wife (since we got swerved 2 episodes back w/ Ray killing the wrong guy, thanks to Frank's poor info)...
...then Ray might owe him a favor here.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Maybe. I'm thinking not though, or like items would be listed together. The full list is:
M4 - automatic rifle
Bennelli M4 - shotgun
Remmington 870 - shotgun
flash grenades x10
tear gas canisters x10
gas masks x2
kevlar vests x2
AK-47s x2
extra AK magazines x4
500 rounds per piece
M4 - automatic rifle
Bennelli M4 - shotgun
Remmington 870 - shotgun
flash grenades x10
tear gas canisters x10
gas masks x2
kevlar vests x2
AK-47s x2
extra AK magazines x4
500 rounds per piece

The M4 auto is listed twice, separated by other items, but the AK-47s are listed as x2 twice, also separated by other items. There are 2x kevlar vests though, so I expect at least 2 people, probably with the extra guns as backups.[/spoiler]


Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, August 09, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »
Well, Season 2's Finale was all over the place.

This certainly had no business being 90 minutes.
I was really hoping this was going to deliver, after the season really turning the tide by Episode 4....and it fell apart by bad pacing, some non-sense, & some predictable things happening.

Finale could've been better. Way better.

« Last Edit: Sunday, August 09, 2015, 07:57:31 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: True Detective
« Reply #65 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
Well, Season 2's Finale was all over the place.

This certainly had no business being 90 minutes.
I was really hoping this was going to deliver, after the season really turning the tide by Episode 4....and it fell apart by bad pacing, some non-sense, & some predictable things happening.

Finale could've been better. Way better.



One problem was it had multiple major events that could have each worked at the end of an episode (assuming they had enough interesting stuff to pad out that many more episodes). Also (finale spoilers)[spoiler]The show tends to be pessimistic, and until the very, very end, it felt like it just went in on this full force. A Pyrrhic victory was definitely not going to surprise me, but the way it ends you're not even sure if the victory will come or not. Also I'm disappointed in how much this turned out to be white collar crime that just led to the spilling of blood, where the first season felt like they were dealing with something truly evil.[/spoiler]

Season 1 spoilers:
[spoiler]Season 1 was equally pessimistic, but at the end the bad guys were stopped, and Rustin had a bit of a change of heart in how he viewed the world, thanks to a near death experience. It ended on a positive note, and even if Rustin had died, it would have felt like a partial victory in that the murderer was stopped.[/spoiler]



Oh, and the list from before, lol.
[spoiler]The list had an M4 rifle, 2 different shotguns, and 2 AK47s
There were 3 M4 rifles, one shotgun (the remington I think), a grenade launcher, and 2 handguns (the handguns were probably ones he already had)[/spoiler]

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #66 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
It had a few good scenes, from a cinematography stand point. But overall I agree with W7RE that it was all over the place. And some of the  dialogue... oh boy...

Offline gpw11

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7,182
Re: True Detective
« Reply #67 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

Season 1 spoilers:
[spoiler]Season 1 was equally pessimistic, but at the end the bad guys were stopped, and Rustin had a bit of a change of heart in how he viewed the world, thanks to a near death experience. It ended on a positive note, and even if Rustin had died, it would have felt like a partial victory in that the murderer was stopped.[/spoiler]


[spoiler]I think Season 1 was a bit misleading that way.  As far as I can remember, they just killed one of the guys who did the actual killing (Childress), but there was a full on cult thing going on that was never exposed, and it had very prominent politicians, ministers, etc as members (Tuttles), and that was never exposed.  I've always kind of seen it as a hollow victory - they did kill the guy who killed (at least most of) the girls but a lot of the main players seemingly got away or were never even exposed to the viewers.  


I ended up watching the first season twice because my girlfriend wanted to see it, and the second time it really struck me that it wasn't the happy ending I originally thought it was  [/spoiler]

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #68 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 04:27:54 PM »
One problem was it had multiple major events that could have each worked at the end of an episode (assuming they had enough interesting stuff to pad out that many more episodes). Also (finale spoilers)[spoiler]The show tends to be pessimistic, and until the very, very end, it felt like it just went in on this full force. A Pyrrhic victory was definitely not going to surprise me, but the way it ends you're not even sure if the victory will come or not. Also I'm disappointed in how much this turned out to be white collar crime that just led to the spilling of blood, where the first season felt like they were dealing with something truly evil.[/spoiler]

Season 1 spoilers:
[spoiler]Season 1 was equally pessimistic, but at the end the bad guys were stopped, and Rustin had a bit of a change of heart in how he viewed the world, thanks to a near death experience. It ended on a positive note, and even if Rustin had died, it would have felt like a partial victory in that the murderer was stopped.[/spoiler]

I had no real problem in both Seasons 1 + 2 with things being constantly noir + pessimistic. I loved Season 1 period.

My problem was the pacing in Season 2 Finale was not good. While a few things did happen, a lot of them felt predictable....
...[spoiler]Namely, both Ray and Frank died. I knew that was going to happen. I had a feeling this was going to happen, given the list - and to me, it made the most sense that these two would work together, given the list of everything doubled. While they didn't die like I thought they would (i.e. together in a blaze of glory), they still died. Frank got left dead in the desert, while Ray predictably went to say goodbye to his boy - and he didn't think he'd catch the boat + was afraid he'd also lead all of their enemies to Ani. Predictable as hell.

Ani is telling the reporter about everything down South and the cover-up, that's it. She gives the reporter from The Times the info to do what they want w/ it.[/spoiler]

But, this could've been a good episode, even w/ some its predictability, if it was say 45-60 min instead. A lot of it felt like it took too long to just go anywhere. With so many pieces and on-going stuff, this could've been paced better + much more interesting. Instead, it was just "okay" at 90 mins.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #69 on: Monday, August 10, 2015, 04:50:52 PM »
That was awful.  You know how I said I wanted to rewatch this season to make more sense out of it?  Forget it.  Not happening now.  I will now delete all 8 episodes.  The series is back to Square 1 with me.  This season cancels out last one.

Offline gpw11

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7,182
Re: True Detective
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
Hahaha.  I still really liked the second season.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »
[spoiler]Let's forget positive endings for a moment, because tragedy is all the rage now.  I still hated how 2 of the 3 characters may as well just have offed themselves about halfway through, but I can deal with it.  Let's just concentrate on the concept of an ending, a resolution.  There was none.  Everything is as much up in the air when it all ended than when it started.  The only difference is that a lot of participants are now dead.  Did the corruption get in any way excised or at least exposed?  Who knows?  It all ends in the same depressing fog that it began, with absolutely no movement forward, whatever "forward" may be.  It was straight and pointless murder porn and emo porn.  Nothing made any difference, and much was left making little sense.[/spoiler]

Offline gpw11

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 7,182
Re: True Detective
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong - I can see why you (or anyone else) wouldn't like it and I'm not saying you're wrong for that,  I'm just saying I still enjoyed the ride even though it didn't end up where I wanted it to.



Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 09:32:51 AM »
[spoiler]I don't have any problem with the series having no resolution or a "bad" ending. My issue is with the writing. The pacing in the series was all over the place: horrible dialogue, some scenes dragged on for too long without contributing anything (like the start of the last episode) or maybe just bad acting (with some exceptions). Too much time was spent on the police work (which was hard to follow) and not enough on the actual mystery or the gravity of the crimes committed (2nd episode seemed like it was going somewhere, but not really).  Other than the gun fight in the middle and the drug/sex mansion there was just nothing interesting, no real wonder, no real "wow", no real "damn that's fucked up".

Characters were all over the place. I didn't like that all of them had some sort of hidden secret. Other than Ray, there was nothing that contributed to the story. Did it really matter that the chick was molested when she was young? Not really. That the cool cop was gay? Yeah, who cares, we all have issues. And that's the thing right there, I can't even remember the 2 cops names, only Ray. Heck, the lady chick wasn't even involved in the last episode, other than rescuing Ray at the train station or whatever it was. It was like they added the backstories for the sake of having fucked or normal or whatever characters.

Everything was just so forced, so ... gah, I don't know, off? The series had a few cool scenes, but that's it. I get the message the show was trying to deliver (we are all fucked?), but the delivery was just bad. It was a shit story that tried too hard to look fancy.[/spoiler]


Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »
[spoiler]I don't have any problem with the series having no resolution or a "bad" ending. My issue is with the writing. The pacing in the series was all over the place: horrible dialogue, some scenes dragged on for too long without contributing anything (like the start of the last episode) or maybe just bad acting (with some exceptions). Too much time was spent on the police work (which was hard to follow) and not enough on the actual mystery or the gravity of the crimes committed (2nd episode seemed like it was going somewhere, but not really).  Other than the gun fight in the middle and the drug/sex mansion there was just nothing interesting, no real wonder, no real "wow", no real "damn that's fucked up".[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think one of the other things was - a lot of the police work, wasn't cleared-up for most until the last 2 episodes. This is where things were really kicking into gear here. B/c Episode 8 really tried to explain things for people not paying attention closely + those not hitting any forums or sites analyzing things, w/ too much exposition. Those who had a clue what was going on were....not surprised by anything. Everything took obvious & predictable routes. There weren't many surprises. Things you expected to be hints early on that were doing foreshadowing - yep, you were likely right.[/spoiler]

Quote
[spoiler]Everything was just so forced, so ... gah, I don't know, off? The series had a few cool scenes, but that's it. I get the message the show was trying to deliver (we are all fucked?), but the delivery was just bad. It was a shit story that tried too hard to look fancy.[/spoiler]
I think some of the casting, writing, and whatnot was just all over the place. Certainly, somebody should've stepped in and hit the edit button. So much stuff, could've either been thrown out or expanded upon much more.
Pretty much - my feelings are similar to yours. Namely, the writing + pacing was all over the place. I still think this could've been told in 3 to 6 episodes, not 8.

Quote
[spoiler]Characters were all over the place. I didn't like that all of them had some sort of hidden secret. Other than Ray, there was nothing that contributed to the story. Did it really matter that the chick was molested when she was young? Not really. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]I think it was a red herring to make us think that maybe Ani's dad might've had some involvement in the sex ring - b/c if anyone would've known about that guy w/ that kind of hippie-looking bus, the one Ani saw at the party when she saw the guy and had the flashback - mayber her dad did. Pretty much, nope. Seems like he didn't have a clue, when she saw her dad in either Ep 6 or Ep 7. Red herring thrown.[/spoiler]

Quote
[spoiler]That the cool cop was gay? Yeah, who cares, we all have issues. And that's the thing right there, I can't even remember the 2 cops names, only Ray. Heck, the lady chick wasn't even involved in the last episode, other than rescuing Ray at the train station or whatever it was. It was like they added the backstories for the sake of having fucked or normal or whatever characters. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Revealed in the final episode, but which I figured the entire time - the cops + politicians were, more or less, trying to set all of these cops up.

I really had this bad feeling, when the lady cop brought them all back together in Ep 5 (which was after the shootout w/ the gang in Ep 4 that this would be the case). Of course, that lady got killed off in her car, left for dead - killing off another loose end.

Pretty much, close to the End of Ep 8: everything got covered-up.
And who knows if the writer is going to follow through w/ all the stuff Ani gave him. We didn't see it happen, so who knows. [/spoiler]

Offline Cools!

  • Administrator
  • Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 1,628
  • Let's burn.
Re: True Detective
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize that this season was simply not a "true detective". It just lacked many of the elements of a detective genre.

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »
The more I think about it the more I realize that this season was simply not a "true detective". It just lacked many of the elements of a detective genre.

Season 1
[spoiler]
Rusty + Marty were your True Detectives in Season 1. It wasn't really about who was doing the killings, for us to figure out - that was the backdrop and secondary. It felt like it was more about who these characters were, their problems, and things of that sort.
[/spoiler]

Season 2
[spoiler]
We, the viewers, this Season were the True Detectives - who was supposed to figure this all out, keep up w/ this tons of plot-lines + characters; stick w/ it; and put many of the pieces of the puzzle together. Things that felt like throwaways, whether characters or incidents - often weren't. A lot of it wasn't really explained w/ exposition to the viewers until the last 2 episodes. Those who weren't analyzing the show; not checking online analysis + re-caps; not re-watching the episode - they got what they needed. While we fans who tried to connect everything - we got screwed.

Likely, those who weren't mostly clued in to everything going probably got more out the finale than I did.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 29, 2015, 11:20:59 AM by MysterD »

Offline beo

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,480
  • ****
Re: True Detective
« Reply #77 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:00:48 AM »
Me and the Mrs were completely bored through almost all of it, but were waiting for something to happen to make us care about the characters or plot, and validate our investment of time. We got half way into episode 5 and realised that we frankly didn't give a shit what happened anymore and turned it off. Such an insult to season 1.

Also, Vince Vaughn is fucking terrible. Firstly as an actor. Secondly as a human being for inflicting his "acting" on the rest of us.

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: True Detective
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 07:38:10 AM »
I dislike Vince Vaughn's onscreen persona in just about everything he's done.  He comes across as the pushiest asshole in creation, even in light comedies.

An insult to Season 1--yes, that's the perfect way to put it.  It's also an insult to the better actors in the production.

Offline MysterD

  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 18,050
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: True Detective
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, August 15, 2015, 03:15:12 PM »
I dislike Vince Vaughn's onscreen persona in just about everything he's done.  He comes across as the pushiest asshole in creation, even in light comedies.

An insult to Season 1--yes, that's the perfect way to put it.  It's also an insult to the better actors in the production.

I think the biggest problem w/ Vince Vaughn and his wife was this story got WAY TOO much time; had some of the worst dialogue in this series; and felt often liked it was way miscast-ed.

[spoiler]I think Vince did fine w/ being bad-ass gangster part when he needed to be - i.e. when attacking the club surrounded w/ all the guys in one of the earlier episodes, when he killed the dealer for giving him bad info about who raped Ray's wife, in the next to last episode burning some establishments down, the shootout at the cabin w/ Osip, etc.

But, it's mostly the scenes w/ his wife that weren't working for me and when he did long monologue talks sounding like he was spitting philosophy or narrating something - which sounded more like 4th wall stuff from the writer Nick P than actually if Vince was performing.

One of the funniest lines was in the last episode when Kelly Reilly (Vince's wife) said something on taking action in situation, then delivers the meta-line w/ loaded w/ double-meaning: "You can't act for shit. Take it from me."[/spoiler]