Author Topic: Adam Orth and internet toxicity  (Read 1270 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Adam Orth and internet toxicity
« on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 09:12:22 PM »
Article

I will preface this by saying I agree with the talks premise. People should not be flinging death threats and crap of that nature at other people over the internet.

It's just kind of funny that a guy that was being kind of a dick on the internet is mad that people on the internet were dicks right back. Just to refresh your memory, we're talking about this guy:

The article makes it sound like the "#dealwithit" tweet was the bad one, but I think it was the last one there that really lit the fires. That's just dismissing a whole swath of people in a very rude manner.

So again, I agree that the level of hate he received was excessive and it is sad that that is actually not surprising when dealing with this sort of thing online. Just kind of rubs me the wrong way that he takes a "poor me" attitude like he didn't have anything to do with starting it.

Also read the comments on the article, they are pretty good. I do have to point out Derek Smart, though.
I had so much that I wanted to say. Then I realized that the thread will most likely be flooded with a bunch of a33hats who have absolutely zero redeeming qualities.

So instead, I'm just going to say that I feel for Adam and quite pleased to hear that he was able to rise above it and is moving on with a life worth living.

Some people are intrinsically wired to be assholes and they revel in griefing and putting others down because it makes them feel better about themselves and their life less ordinary.

We - as devs - are supposed to take the high road, suck up this abusive shit - and hope that stuff blows away with time. That's bullshit. I am never - ever - going to turn the other cheek. Ever. I haven't changed this stance in the 25+ years that I've been doing this - and I never will.
Keeping it classy. I looked for a sarcasm tag but nope.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Adam Orth and internet toxicity
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 02:26:05 AM »
I agree with you. The community lashback is often over-the-top but that doesn't negate his initial behaviour, in particular his responses to Manveer Heir (of Bioware).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Adam Orth and internet toxicity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »
Oh, this fucking guy. 

He's not rocking the boat in any way or breaking any new ground here:  We all agree that sending crazy death threats is pretty unacceptable.   Where I think he's entirely off base is how he's saying this is an entirely new phenomenon, rooted on the internet, which primarily affects the game industry.   Anybody involved in dealing directly with public reactions in even moderately high profile positions will be able to confirm that unhinged people exist everywhere and lose their shit at pretty much anything.

Where the internet comes in is that it makes it extremely visible to people like Orth, who would otherwise have those opinions and reactions filtered. It's an organic feedback machine that you can view in realtime and that comes with both good and bad.   To Orth's credit, he did admit that he was the cause of all his problems - losing his job, losing pending job offers, basically killing his career. He glossed over it, but he did admit it.

The thing is that he glossed over it and moved on to showcasing his theory on internet toxicity....without mentioning at all how he contributes to that. His tweet was "toxic" the second he uploaded it, and, as will often happen, people took that to mean shots have been fired, come out guns blazing.   It's one thing to put forward a reasonable argument and then be surprised when unreasonable responses come back in return, it's entirely another to be an asshat and then write an entire presentation on how society has devolved based entirely on the asshat responses you've received.

A slide from the presentation he did works out like this:  NEGATIVE OPINION + ANONYMITY + INSTANT PUBLISHING + GLOBAL AUDIENCE + ZERO CONSEQUENCE = TOXICITY

This is essentially a needlessly expanded version of Penny Arcade's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory, but the interesting thing is that it describes his initial tweet to a tee and quite frankly, as nice as it would be to look at his presentation as an unbiased analysis of how social interactions on the internet work, and specifically the treatment he received as evidence of the combative nature of internet communications, you're not getting the full picture unless you look at that first communication and realize the environment was already "toxic".

The age old adage of public relations seems to hold true here:  Don't be an asshat when visibly dealing with the public and things will go easier for you.

As a side note, I actually think that an unfiltered feedback stream like this can be a very good thing for society as a whole...to a point.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 23, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »
In retrospect, it's quite ironic.