Author Topic: Robin Williams has died.  (Read 4459 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Robin Williams has died.
« on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »
 :(

RIP, Robin.

I'm numb.  What is the point of anything.  Everything goes to shit.  Everything ends in death.  Fuck.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Robin Williams has died.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 05:00:22 AM »
The news hit me rather hard especially due to the circumstances.

I would like to say something positive instead, depression is a state of mind, it's vitally important to seek help about it. There are always options.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »
Shazbot.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »
I found out yesterday around 7:30pm EDT.  I have the Circa app installed on my mobile phone and it had created a breaking news notification.  Since I have the Moto X, I have Active Notifications, which means I can get a quick preview of the most recent notification.  I picked up my phone, put my thumb on the little circle on the screen and suddenly saw "Breaking: Robin Williams has died at age 63."  I almost dropped my phone.

I've never been as stunned by a celebrity death before.  Either they were slow battles with injury or disease that we knew about, they were completely bonkers like Michael Jackson, or it was a celebrity of lesser status.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
I found out yesterday around 7:30pm EDT. I have the Circa app installed on my mobile phone and it had created a breaking news notification.  Since I have the Moto X, I have Active Notifications, which means I can get a quick preview of the most recent notification.  I picked up my phone, put my thumb on the little circle on the screen and suddenly saw "Breaking: Robin Williams has died at age 63."  I almost dropped my phone.

I've never been as stunned by a celebrity death before.  Either they were slow battles with injury or disease that we knew about, they were completely bonkers like Michael Jackson, or it was a celebrity of lesser status.

Fixed.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
I'm sorry for sharing my story and that it did not meet your standards.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
Weird to think of him being gone. I think it's always that way with people you associate with cheerfulness or humor. That guy had such a smile. He'll be missed.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »

I've never been as stunned by a celebrity death before. 

Yeah, to be perfectly honest this is the first time I felt my heart sink at all upon hearing about a celebrity death.  Not sure why, but it really is sad.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »
I think the circumstances amplify the sorrow. 

It's a sick joke that someone so talented at bringing other people joy struggled internally as he did.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
I'm sorry for sharing my story and that it did not meet your standards.

I was just kidding. I didn't mean to offend you. I apologize.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 10:34:52 PM »
I think the circumstances amplify the sorrow. 

It's a sick joke that someone so talented at bringing other people joy struggled internally as he did.

A lot of comedians I know are struggling with depression. I almost wonder if the comic stuff is a front to hide the inner demons.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »
Joan Rivers was crying about it in some interview, and blurted out "we're all manic-depressives" (meaning comics).

So I'm not alone in my surprising, crushing grief over this.  That's interesting.  What is it about this man that makes his departure such a loss to us all?  Part of my reaction is due to personal demons, but still.  It surprised me that I cried about it as if a close relative had died unexpectedly.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »
He touched so many of us through his work and he seemed like a genuinely nice person. I was in shell shock for about 30 minutes after I found it. It made me sad randomly throughout the day. I don't know why.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 05:18:28 AM »
I'm surprised and saddened, but far from overwhelmed with grief.  I've had way too much of the real thing in the past two years, so I suppose that comes with a little perspective.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 05:46:03 AM »
I don't really feel anything. I rarely do when a celebrity dies. None of them have ever been particularly important to me, even if I liked their work, so I guess I've never quite understood gut-level reactions like this to their passing. At some point I guess I decided that I couldn't know anything about these people from such a distance, and in the end, whatever they present isn't likely to be who they really are. Which isn't to say they're all out to deceive us, necessarily, but ... I guess just that while I can certainly be sad about the passing of another human being, and certainly feel respect for the loss of their talent, I know I have never on any level known them as a person, only as a product. Such is the case here. I loved Robin Williams the product. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
I don't really feel anything. I rarely do when a celebrity dies. None of them have ever been particularly important to me, even if I liked their work, so I guess I've never quite understood gut-level reactions like this to their passing. At some point I guess I decided that I couldn't know anything about these people from such a distance, and in the end, whatever they present isn't likely to be who they really are. Which isn't to say they're all out to deceive us, necessarily, but ... I guess just that while I can certainly be sad about the passing of another human being, and certainly feel respect for the loss of their talent, I know I have never on any level known them as a person, only as a product. Such is the case here. I loved Robin Williams the product. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man.

Same here

#teamdeadinside

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 10:48:55 AM »
Hahaha, I feel bad laughing in this thread, but that got me. I suspect Mr. Williams would have approved, so it's okay.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
I want :(, but not really shocked or with too much care, so yeah, #teamdeadinside.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 05:11:37 AM »
The silver lining in all of this is that maybe, just maybe he can bring some much needed attention to mental health in the US.

It's doubtful, though.