Author Topic: This is scary...  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: This is scary...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 02:29:34 AM »
Yep.

Police militarization has been among the most consequential and unnoticed developments of our time, and it is now beginning to affect press freedom.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/13/justice/missouri-teen-shooting-journalists/index.html

America, the neo-fascist police state.  Unfortunately, there's often a need for strong police control in the festering cesspool that America has become, on the other end.  This kind of polarization can only end in tears, with innocents caught in the crossfire.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »
Yea its pretty mind blowing. I've seen worse violence from mobs of people at the end of heated sports games, and then there's this. Tear gas and rubber bullets being shot into peaceful, unarmed protests. Definitely overkill. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 07:37:21 AM »
I was following some of that last night. Its nuts.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
"Tweet that they're arresting me!  Tweet that they're arresting me!"

I actually laughed out loud at this. Total rookie arestee move right there.

But police really really need lapel cams.  That's really the only thing that's going to have an effect on situations like this.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 08:23:56 AM »
It's only going to get worse. The more people rise up, the more this regime pushes them down.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
Crazy stuff!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
Just read Ars Technica daily.  Read about stingrays.  Read about recording police.  Read about court decisions.  The stuff that our public sector is doing from the federal to the local level in all facets of government is just mind-blowing.  And the stuff you read on that site just relates to science and technology!  I can't imagine what other atrocities are going on.

Here's another example of police:  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/footage-reveals-police-assaulted-threatened-innocent-handcuffed-woman/

As far as police needing lapel cams:  there are police body cams now.  Because recording constantly is simply infeasible because it would generate too much data to store and sift through, it is done on a voluntary basis.  They are supposed to turn them on when on a call, but I'm sure many of the bad ones conveniently forget.  To be fair to the good ones, may officers like the cameras because there are times the accusations swing the other way and the officer was completely reasonable and the other party is embellishing or outright lying.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 14, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 18, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member