Author Topic: Smart watches  (Read 3959 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Smart watches
« on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
When smart watches first came out, I thought they would be a passing fad like Casio calculator watches.  The early ones were big, ugly, and douchey.  Then Moto 360 teasers started, especially the ones with the metal band, and my thoughts started to change.  Perhaps they can look nice after all.  I actually found myself thinking I might get a Moto 360, until this review came out.  It was sad to see that the most attractive smart watch had such pathetic battery life.

Oh well, perhaps Motorola will have learned their lesson and correct it for 2.0.  Just don't nerf any of the most important parts of what people like about the Moto 360 like you did with the Moto X (size)!

Then I was interested to see what Apple would do with their smart watch.  By being late to the game a little bit, they had a chance to see what other players were doing and just absolutely surprise everyone with something novel and great looking.

But wow, the Apple Watch has been one of the ugliest smart watches yet?  I'm sure it will still sell gangbusters just because it's an Apple device, but wow were they way off the mark.  Even technologically, it isn't anything special.  Apparently there isn't any information about battery life either, which isn't a good sign.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Smart watches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »
They had a bunch of leftover 6th gen iPod Nanos they had to get rid of, so put a wristband on em.

I like that its $350 and requires you to also own an iPhone. Can't even operate by itself? Yeah that's worth several hundred dollars to me!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 04:45:39 PM »
The time just isn't there for smart watches yet, give it a year or so.   The 360 is by far the nicest looking of the bunch, but also the least technically impressive. It uses the same basic hardware (or at least cpu) as their old MotoACTV, so it looks like they may be just utilizing left over parts.   I wouldn't be surprised if they release another one in 6 - 12 months with the same basic look but a faster, lower power using SoC, and possibly a bigger battery.

The LG G Watch R is what some people are excited about now that the 360 turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, but I still think it's a bit ugly and lack luster.  I think it's a lot like smartphones:  It'll take a little bit for manufacturers to work out the kinks and consumers to decide what they want.  I like the idea of a smartwatch, but I don't think I'll be getting one for a while, even though I'd love it for running.

Edit: As for Apple, I'm going to comment on that elsewhere. 

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
They had a bunch of leftover 6th gen iPod Nanos they had to get rid of, so put a wristband on em.

I like that its $350 and requires you to also own an iPhone. Can't even operate by itself? Yeah that's worth several hundred dollars to me!

To be fair to Apple, very few smart watches do anything without a smartphone.  Who wants an additional mobile data plan for their watch anyway?

A guy at work said one use case would be where the watch totally replaces your phone and you use a Bluetooth earpiece for the voice.  I could see that maybe working for some people, but the tradeoff in screen real estate wouldn't be something I would be interested in.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »
Honestly, all I want in one of these is built in gps, a heart rate monitor, and android wear.  If there's a headphone jack, all the better (otherwise, bluetooth will work).

Fitness watch to eliminate a garmin that you could use as a smartwatch as well.  Great.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
I've seen something interesting. Some people are starting to come to the defense of the Apple Watch and are basically knocking the Moto 360 for being round and saying that while it looks nicer, a rectangle is more functional.

Wow. I never thought I would hear an Apple fan admit that something else is more well-designed aesthetically but that Apple's competing product has better function and sacrifices form.  Since when has Apple ever designed that way?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »
I have zero interest in these smart watches.  Call me old fashioned, but I would prefer wearing a real watch, like a Rolex or Patek, over a smart watch any day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 08:41:54 PM »
Look and sound stupid to me. I'm a judgmental asshole, but if I ever saw anyone wearing one of these, I would probably write them off immediately as either an idiot or a douchebag.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »
The Apple watch looks like shit. I like the ideas behind it (like having a heart rate monitor), but the design is just bad. I hate how nothing Apple makes these days fits into an overall ecosystem, every product is an island and there is no overall direction or one vision. Someone really needs to control Ivy because his latest designs, like this watch, are horrible. Maybe they'll get it right after a few generations, or it will be a fail like AppleTV.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 08:59:16 AM »
So far I've managed to avoid buying into the Apple ecosystem.  I have the option of getting an iPhone here at work, but I dunno.  Sort of think that if I've stayed out of it for this long then there's not really much point in buying in now.

Also, on the rare occasion I wear a watch any more, I would much prefer it to be an actual watch to complement my wardrobe rather than something disposable with no value beyond it's planned obsolescence. 

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
That's the thing, this watch doesn't really fit with any particular style, at least in my opinion. They are trying to brand it as something fashionable (if you look at the gold version with the fancy strap), but there are far better looking watches in this price bracket. If you wear a fancy watch it's to look fashionable, a statement of sort or to complete your look. This thing would make you look like a fool.

Now personally I'm not into watches. I haven't worn one in probably 16 years. But I do want to get something decent at some point (purely mechanical) for those special occasions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 05:58:33 PM »
Really, I just want something like a Garmin Forerunner with a better interface.  GPS, headphone jack, and heart rate monitor.   Honestly, I'd rather it not sync with my phone besides possible music transfer.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re:
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 06:25:07 PM »
Somewhat of note is the interesting news that Motorola just updated the 360 software and people are reporting more than double the battery life as a result.    Pretty crazy

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
GPW, looking good:

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 02, 2014, 05:14:01 PM »