Author Topic: Fight the terrorists but don't execute them.  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Fight the terrorists but don't execute them.
« on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 02:47:44 AM »
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-12-28/news/57462552_1_pakistan-government-muhammad-nawaz-sharif-peshawar

I understand. I don't like the death penalty either.

But on one hand you are expected to fight them, and on the other you have to play by European rules? EU has said that if the executions continue they will downgrade Pakistan's trade status, which for a poor economic nation, is a big deal.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fight the terrorists but don't execute them.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 07:47:36 AM »
Extremely stupid. I don't like the death penalty either, but I make an exception for mass murderers of this caliber. What else are you supposed to do with them? I imagine a small handful could be successfully reformed in some fashion or other if given the chance, but it's not like even those would ever be allowed to just go be a functioning member of society again, and who has the resources to mollycoddle a bunch of murderers that way? These people crossed a line that can't be uncrossed. I see no other realistic option but their permanent removal.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
It makes no sense at all.  Morally, they need to die.  No other consequence fits.  Economically, a bullet is still less than a dollar.  What is the cost of maximum security for one young inmate for life?  Regarding justice, those who don't receive it often create more injustice.  See the recent stories about the two assassinated NY cops.  Regarding society, not disposing of your waste poisons you with it.  Regarding deterrence, there is no deterring a zealot.  But the sure and unflinching death of zealots would certainly deter more normal human beings from picking up their twisted torch.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
The other problem is this. The terrorists who are put in prison become target for rescues which means it is really expensive to keep them. Quite a few have been blown out of prison and have gone on to kill 100s more.

I understand the stance on the death penalty but it is like Europe is trying apply its civilized laws on mass murderers. During the world war, did Europe not execute Nazis?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 04:04:33 PM »
I believe there are studies that show that capital punishment is not effective as a crime deterrent.  That said, it is an effective way to eradicate vermin.

People whose goal is to create terror by the unexpected mass killing of innocent people should not be treated the same as people who murdered a single person in a fit of rage.  We are talking about a network of people all dedicating their lives to coordinating and executing premeditated multiple homicide.  These are not people fit to share this Earth with the rest of us.

Give them a trial, but kill them when they are convicted.