Author Topic: ぷよぷよ!!- Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
ぷよぷよ!!- Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary
« on: Friday, September 04, 2015, 12:58:49 AM »
This game is amazing. I didn't realize that it didn't make it to the states, which is a shame, because if you're a Puyo Puyo fan, there is nothing better. The game just has a mess of stuff in it. 20 different modes, local and internet play, 24 characters (all of them annoying, just as they should be), a bunch of unlockable junk, plus a "Puyo school" mode that teaches you some stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puyo_Puyo!!_20th_Anniversary

Pretty amazing. While the 3DS and Wii versions won't get you anywhere without an appropriately region-coded system, the DS and PSP versions would be region free. I picked it up on 3DS and holy crap do I love this game.

Because not enough games let you have conversations with Satan about talking Bear science teachers.

Especially not before settling your differences by tossing around jelly with eyeballs.

Who are the puyo? Why do we enslave them and force them to dogpile each other before they explode? So many questions.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: ぷよぷよ!!- Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 04, 2015, 10:26:08 PM »
PSP version I can confirm emulates beautifully. You know...FYI.

It's a real shame Sega doesn't see fit to release more Puyo games outside Japan. They are really fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 05, 2015, 03:57:01 AM »
I love how many modes there are in this game. 15 advertised, but apparently there are 5 hidden ones, not sure how those come about, and I haven't even counted to see what's available, but I haven't played most of these having only really played classic Puyo prior to this for the most part. Each mode has its tricks and such, and back in the day could have been a proper game in their own right. Really fun. I kinda wish some of this stuff was available in Puyo VS, since I can see it being super fun in multi.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 05, 2015, 05:29:47 AM »
Puyo Puyo games go the same way for me every time--fun at first, then the speed quickly ratchets up, the screen fills, and it's over.  I do better with Tetris Attack/Puzzle League.  More gradual speed increases let me feel like I'm actually getting better at it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 05, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »
Eventually you get to a point where you realize that speed isn't always even an issue in Puyo Puyo, because you'll be good enough to know at least semi-reliably exactly where to throw everything. Just go on youtube and watch how good players do things. There's certainly nuance to it, but ultimately basic Puyo comes down to a handful of tactics (which is one of the reasons all these different modes on 20th are so nice, shake things up a whole bunch). It's easily surpassed Tetris for me, and I sucked at it not more than a month or two ago. Couldn't figure out how it worked, and even after really trying, I still sucked. Then I downloaded Puyo VS to play with Idol, and we spectated some games ... instantly started to understand better how one sets up combos and such. I'm still not amazing, but I can win in SP fairly well, and I'm now entirely addicted.

My long-standing action puzzler has always been Magical Drop, and I think that's still one of my favorites, but Puyo may have surpassed it. It's hard to say. Case in point, if it's good enough for me to say that, it's super good, because I loved the hell out of Magical Drop.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 05, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
Not Tetris, but Tetris Attack, or Panel de Pon (J).  It's similar to Puyo, except the matches have to be in a row, but the combos are similar.  Thing with Puyo is that I hit the same sudden brick wall every time, where TA has a gentler slope that I get to climb a bit more every time through.

I'm sure I just don't know the tactics.  I don't think that watching videos of others play was even a thing last time I tried to tackle those color blobs.  :)