Author Topic: IGN Pakistan is live  (Read 6920 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
IGN Pakistan is live
« on: Thursday, April 14, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
http://pk.ign.com/

Please check it out. Feedback is welcome. :)

Do read our Pakistan's Superheroes story and our Welcome to IGN Pakistan page. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: IGN Pakistan is live
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 14, 2016, 05:34:07 PM »
Dude, CONGRATS! That is so awesome. Wish you the best of luck with it ... that's some very, very strong content to launch with. Congratulations again, man. I can only imagine how much work went into getting it all up and going.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 14, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »
Thanks bud. :)

Yes hard work and for one month I was alone working with the IGN tech team so it was crazy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:49:26 AM »
Keep us updated on how it's going! Really enjoyed that superhero article.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 04:12:48 AM »
Outstanding!  Congratulations, Pug.  After the other thread went away, I was wondering if this was still happening.  I'm seriously impressed.  Way to go!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »
Looks great, man!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
Thank you. I have toiled for a month with the IGN tech team to make this happen haha.

Also, I am now on the other side of the fence. While my writers are great, man, editing is a bitch. I looked at a piece we published 6 hours ago and it still has a bunch of errors.

Cobra... Que...

When do I include a comma when adding a quote?

So I always assumed it was like this:

He said, "Hello."

But the NYTimes seems to do He said "Hello."

There are other publications doing He said: "How do you do."

Very confusing. Novels usually do it the way I did, but apparently this is the wrong way. Whut?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 11:58:37 AM »
I would not think of a comma for "he said 'hello'".

I put the punctuation where it belongs: inside the quote when it is part of the quote, and outside when not.  However, the formal rule is that a period or comma always goes inside the quote when it would otherwise immediately follow a quotation mark.  Don't ask me why.  Maybe it's a visual thing--quote mark up high, period or comma down low (as above).  Looks wrong, but it's right.  Whatever.

Edit:  If you're quoting a sentence rather than a word or phrase, I would separate your text from it with a colon.  In that case:

He said:  "How do you do?"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:09:00 PM »
This clears things up...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
Really?  Because now I'm getting confused.  :P

Maybe I should write a novel to get myself more comfortable with some of these.  ;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
I actually came back to this page because I was confused and wanted to see what you said again!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 15, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
Editing is a royal pain, especially if you've got writers who are less than stellar when it comes to providing you with grammatically competent pieces. It's a shame how many writers struggle with that stuff.

This should help: http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

I'm honestly not sure if there are any style guide specifics on this as it's been forever since I checked, and I can't be arsed to get my AP Stylebook or Chicago Manual of Style out just at the moment. But yes, it's perfectly acceptable to add a comma prior to a quotation if one is needed, but it isn't always needed. Nor is a colon needed necessarily.

This came up in a quick search and is how I understand it: http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_colon_or_comma.htm

I generally use commas, as they look more natural; but as is suggested there, commas work well for shorter quotes, colons work much better for longer ones where a comma may look strange.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 09:50:21 AM »
Something I really like about your Pakistan version of IGN is that it works quickly and flawlessly on my old rig.  The home versions of all the big sites have gotten so bloated and slow.  They're rife with scripts and domain hopping.  Maybe I should try this with other sites as well?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 16, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »
I also meant to say that I don't like the American school of punctuation inside quotations either. I generally leave it outside unless it's part of the specific quote. Proper grammar be damned. 99% of the people in the world will never notice, and it makes me feel better.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 02:08:48 PM »
Cobra I think it is because the ads on IGN PK aren't working on USA?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »
I use Adblock universally, so there must be something else.  Even the American IGN is a lot better than some other sites. Gamespot is horrible.  CNN is now banished here.  I don't know what the hell they're doing, but clearly they don't want me there.  Lag is so bad that it's more like a limited-time freeze.  There's this morass of different tools and connections to different sites all impinging on a single browsing event.  I deal with it all on a site-by-site basis, trying to disable individual scripts to see what improves performance.  For example, cursecdn is an awful hog of a script, used in several places for comments sections.  I typically have it blocked, until I want to comment.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
To avoid derailing MysterD's PC thread further, nice writeup about the issues with the Radeon RX480.  I think you strike a good balance between alarm and caution.

This situation reminds me of a Carver 1.0T audio amplifier I had many years ago.  It was strictly a power amp.  I also had (and still have) a Sony TA-1130 full amp, which is fancy enough to allow decoupling the preamp and power-amp stages.  So I drove the Carver from the Sony's preamp output.  The Carver basically was limited in power only by what current it could pull from the wall socket.  Realistically, that meant as much as 1000 watts per channel in transient pulses, and a steady-state power output of about 50 watts per channel.  This is ideal for music with a lot of dynamic range, and the thing was light and cheap.  That, of course, came at a price: inherent instability.  It worked for a year or two, then fried itself.  I had it fixed.  It fried itself again in less than a year after that.  Back to my dependable 70-watt/channel  1130, which as far as I know, still works.  A capacitor or two may have dried out in the 41 years I've had it, though.  I should have the thing checked before I ever try to use it again.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
Boy thats good to know about before purchasing. Yikes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 01:54:47 PM »
To avoid derailing MysterD's PC thread further, nice writeup about the issues with the Radeon RX480.  I think you strike a good balance between alarm and caution.

Thanks! Have to be more naunced at IGN as compared to a blog.