Author Topic: Gaming laptop vs Gaming Desktop  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Gaming laptop vs Gaming Desktop
« on: Thursday, September 29, 2016, 11:25:35 PM »
So I need a computer for work. I can't decide between a laptop and desktop. Perhaps people here can weigh in:

Laptop

So here is an amazing gaming laptop. Basically, Nvidia has turned the laptop gaming world on its head by announcing it's flagship video cards for the mobile world at similar prices and similar performances. This is a first. Usually, the mobile equivalent of flagship video cards are much more expensive and not as powerful.

I am tempted by this:

http://www.staples.ca/en/MSI-GE62VR-Apache-Pro-15-6-Gaming-Laptop-2-6-GHz-Core-i7-6700HQ-16-GB-1-TB-HDD-128-MB-SSD-GeForce-GTX-1060-Win10/product_2428167_2-CA_1_20001

The specs are amazing. Look at that. Yes that's Canadian money, so it's even cheaper than you think. The screen is supposed to be really good as well.

So here are the pros:

1. Mobility (I can game when I have to fly around for work)
2. I order it and I have it. That's it. Nothing to build.

Desktop

Alternatively, I can build a desktop. I can probably build something for $1,200, which is $700 less and it would be slightly, just slightly more powerful.

Cons:

1. Not a huge saving when I take into account a $300 big LCD monitor and $100 for a computer table and a chair. Though money is tight and even $200 is something.
2. I for some reason am concerned I may end up with a leak in my walk-out basement and it will damage the desktop. This is silly because there will be no leak and a laptop could also get damaged (though less likely as it is smaller and can be easily moved etc.)
3. Desktop will be tougher to transport as this place is hopefully just a one year home.
4. I have never ordered PC components online before. I am worried about them getting lost in the way etc. It just seems more testing to deal with. Then again, that's probably the Pakistani in me and not the Canadian thinking.

Pros:

1. We won't be able to afford a TV for a while. A desktop can be used by wifey and me to watch Netflix. For a laptop it's not the same experience. I could get a separate screen for the laptop but that's more expenses.
2. There is no doubt that gaming on a desktop with a nice big monitor is a superior experience.

OK that's it. I am leaning towards desktop though the laptop seems so convenient and cool. Any thoughts?

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Gaming laptop vs Gaming Desktop
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 12:51:06 AM »
For gaming?

Even with all those cons against a desktop, I would never recommend a gaming laptop unless you're life is constantly mobile.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
Personally, I'd go gaming desktop.  

-I think you can get more than you think for the money with a desktop. Skip the i7 and go for an i5.  Buy a simple case on sale, don't worry about getting the most expensive motherboard if you're not going to use the features, etc.  I think you can get the cost in at around or just under $1000 without really making any sacrifices that you'd notice.  There are a ton of sub-reddits around building a pc and picking out parts.Build a PC Build a PC Canada, etc.  There are a ton more watching sales, etc.   Beyond that, check out Redflagdeals.com and their forums.  There are a lot more resources and cross comparing communities now then there used to be.  

-You can never upgrade that laptop beyond RAM and an SSD.  In two years you could sell your desktop GPU for a bit of a return and put that into a new one.

-If you don't want to build it, in a jam NCIX will put it together for you and test it for like $50

-Don't worry about transporting it in a year.  You'll be moving far bigger things either way.   (Note, I didn't realize how big a full ATX case was until I bought one thinking it wasmid tower)

-Ordering PC parts online is a breeze if you stick to reputable retailers.  Just ask on the subreddits above.  Personally, I just ordered all my parts from the same place on my last build.  I could have likely saved a bit of money doing it differently but this was just easier for me.  I can't remember if I said before, but I went NCIX last time and just drove over and picked the parts up once the order was ready.

-Amazon has gotten good for components, check prices there because sometimes you luck out.

-Check Craigslist.  There's a very good chance you can get  a free (Check the free stuff category) or extremely cheap desk and TV stand there.  

-Likewise, I think you'll be surprised at how low cost a used monitor and TV would be if it comes down to that (TVs often go for free.  I know because I always here about how people can't get rid of them if they're 5 years old and end up giving them away or just selling for dirt cheap so someone will come pick them up).  If you don't like that idea, you can get off brand new TVs that will keep you happy for a couple years for like $300.

-If you can't find the right desk/table, IKEA and Staples are what you should be looking at for really cheap solutions.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Oh aaaaaand:

Do it fast. OW needs more of an Overwatch presence on the NA servers.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
Having gone through both iterations of gaming machines, I would currently avoid a gaming laptop unless you need to be mobile, as Pyro mentioned.

The new Pascal architecture has really changed up the game for gaming laptops. However, a gaming desktop makes more sense for you, not only in terms of current expenditures but also considering the near future.

If you absolutely must have some mobility it would make more sense to get a more affordable laptop on the side rather than spend more to get something powerful but become obsolete in a matter of a couple of years.

Upgrade capability (upgradeability?) is something to bear in mind. Consider 2 or 3 years down the road: on a desktop you may only need to upgrade a part or two whereas with a laptop upgrades capability is extremely limited, you may only be able to upgrade the RAM or buy a new laptop altogether.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »

If you absolutely must have some mobility it would make more sense to get a more affordable laptop on the side rather than spend more to get something powerful but become obsolete in a matter of a couple of years.

I actually ended up doing this because a laptop is helpful for me for work and also because I can get a lot more done on personal projects if I get out into an area with less distractions sometimes.   I recommend it if you need the mobility.  You can get very passable laptops for productivity for pretty cheap these days.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
Laptops are nice, but don't ever buy a gaming laptop. They're too fragile and finicky. I had one at one point because I wanted something mobile I could take to work, and it wasn't remotely worth it. I'm sure they've improved since then (you can see some of this discussion in D's gaming laptop thread), but yeah, I don't think they're a worthy investment unless you have money to blow on a fun toy. Desktop all the way if it's going to be your primary thing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 01, 2016, 06:33:06 AM »
Technology has gotten to the point where you can get something inexpensively which will do everything you'd ever want to do with a computer, except gaming.  Functional laptops can be had so cheap, and then there are the tablets and smartphones.  And when they break (as they often do), you don't have to break the bank to replace them.  Serious gaming should have its own equipment and place.  (You can play the casual time killers on the cheap hardware too.)  If budget is a consideration, I really think this is the way to go.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 02, 2016, 08:41:28 AM »
PC, no question, though I'm increasingly aggravated at the dedicated space it requires in my home. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 02, 2016, 09:12:01 AM »
If you're willing to experiment you could go for a laptop with a graphics amplifier. Bear in mind that while it does improve the laptop's graphics with a desktop class GPU it doesn't match with an actual desktop PC.

Basically you'd have a decent laptop that you dock when you get to your desk. There are some options out there with Thunderbolt 3 connectors but the most successful have been the proprietary ones such as Alienware and Razer.

Despite the appeal of this option, I'd advise against it just because it's more of a "worst of both worlds" scenario.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 02, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
Desktop and then you can use the spare cash to buy a cheap, light laptop. A gaming laptop will be too heavy and cumbersome to move around. Desktop + light, non gaming laptop will cost the same as a gaming laptop and give you the best of both worlds.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 02, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
If you're willing to experiment you could go for a laptop with a graphics amplifier. Bear in mind that while it does improve the laptop's graphics with a desktop class GPU it doesn't match with an actual desktop PC.

Basically you'd have a decent laptop that you dock when you get to your desk. There are some options out there with Thunderbolt 3 connectors but the most successful have been the proprietary ones such as Alienware and Razer.

Despite the appeal of this option, I'd advise against it just because it's more of a "worst of both worlds" scenario.

I think the cost might kill you here too. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 09:49:45 PM »
Going with desktop...

Gpw... NCIX's Markham Showroom is literally a 10 minute drive from my house.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 08, 2016, 06:40:17 PM »
Unless you can get a steal on a laptop - yeah, go Desktop. More power and bang-for-the-dollar then, unless you can really catch killer sale on a laptop.

I'm pretty happy w/ my gaming laptop ( i7 Haswell; 16 GB RAM; 4GB 960m; W10) - but I don't use it all the time. Most games - 900p to 1080p at Medium or High settings with around 30FPS (or better); while my desktop (i7 950; 16 GB RAM; "4GB" 970; W7) can do High to Ultra at 1080p with 60FPS on almost all of my games. I don't go mobile all the time. But when I do, it's for a good period of time and I'd feel bored or dead in the water w/out it. :P If you go mobile a lot, it'd be a worthwhile investment for that factor - if you don't mind the part that it likely won't be very upgrade-able. When my current desktop gaming PC is occupied with doing stuff like downloading games, then I hop right to my laptop and "Game on" there; so my laptop does get some use when I have a huge-game downloads on my desktop going, for sure. :)

With a Desktop, if you build it or buy a kick-ass one - at some place like Microcenter that always seems to have such great deals of late on killer-desktops, so I think it's possible that I might not even build my next PC - you always can have a nice amount of room to likely switch parts, add parts, expand, modify your config, and whatnot. For a desktop, the sky's often your limit.

Laptops are limited. Some are a pain to open - and Lord knows if you want to open some of them. RAM's said to normally be the easiest upgrade here; but are you likely going to swap-out CPU or GPU's? There ain't much room in there for parts and maneuvering around that, anyways. So, probably not (on switching GPU and CPU on a laptop). If you need a new GPU - yeah, you'd want a Thunderbolt connection w/ Graphics Amplifier Box so you can toss a desktop GPU in there; and that stuff ain't cheap, either (i.e. $200 and up for the box; and then you'll also have to buy a desktop GPU). You're going to likely spend a bit more money on a laptop for a bit less power.

Personally, always go desktop first for your main gaming PC. And if you want a secondary PC, catch a nice gaming laptop in a "fire" sale (when it's on a huge discount/clearance sale).