Author Topic: Expensive wine?  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Expensive wine?
« on: Thursday, December 01, 2016, 04:06:47 AM »
Coincidentally saw this hilarious video after our chat on IRC.

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/20/8625785/expensive-wine-taste-cheap

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Expensive wine?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 01, 2016, 10:58:32 PM »
Pretty funny. And I agree with the general idea. Like ... anything you eat or drink is just going to be taste, so preference will be what it will be. But I still say going the opposite route doesn't work either. My family drank cheap wine for years, and it was always bad compared to a moderately priced wine that I'd buy myself. That may honestly just have been the two wines in question more than anything else, but I guess either way it just proves that it works on both ends of the scale. Objectively speaking, whatever wine you think tastes good has nothing to do with price unless you're drinking to be fancy. Same goes for whiskey. When I was drinking myself sick during the worst 6 months of my life, I went on a world tour of whiskeys. I bought so much whiskey you couldn't even imagine. And one of my very favorites out of the probably 30+ brands I tried was one of the cheapest.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 15, 2016, 01:30:18 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 16, 2016, 12:36:33 AM »
Well, that's still mostly true. Even the cheaper one I'm talking about isn't like the cheap shit you get in a plastic bottle. But as far as a better tier of whiskey, it's way at the bottom price-wise compared to the majority of its peers.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
All about taste.

Champagne on the other hand? Yup that shit does get better with price!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 16, 2017, 12:06:49 AM »
I used to cap my wine purchases to $30 a bottle, and usually drank wines in the $15-$20 price range. 

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I have been introduced to several nice wines from the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia that I've become fond of.  In particular, two vineyards are now in my regular rotation, but they are pricey wines... Laughing Stock Portfolio, which averages about $50 CAD a bottle, and Burrowing Owl which is around $40-$45 CAD a bottle.  Generally, only popped open for a special occasion.