Author Topic: New X-Ray Scanner at Airports Sees Through Clothes but Not Skin  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
New X-Ray Scanner at Airports Sees Through Clothes but Not Skin
« on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:21:42 AM »
linky

The first thing that came to my mind was oh god the cancer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: New X-Ray Scanner at Airports Sees Through Clothes but Not Skin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:26:28 AM »
No kidding.  If you ever want children, stop flying now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:53:45 AM »
Hmm, the health issue would be my priority, then I'd be concerned about the privacy issues. I don't want some dude checkin' out my wife/sister/mother with his X-ray vision!

This invention is what pubescent boys have been waiting for since the silver age of comics!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:59:20 AM »
How is it that never even occurred to me?  Yeah, that's kind of... fucked up.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 02:02:22 AM »
Yea I was thinking of that as well Xessive, but this image doesn't seem that bad.:

Ummm... yea that's not right.

Interestingly, passengers will have a choice of either passing through the scanner or use the traditional pat-down method. Passengers who fail the first phase of scanning however, will be automatically subjected to the new x-ray.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 02:07:14 AM »
So they either get to see you naked or feel you up with your clothes on?  The fuck kind of options are those?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 02:56:48 AM »
Oh man. Now all sorts of scum will practically be fighting to become airport security. They're practically guaranteed to be able to grope women or see them without clothes. Lets see how long this takes for someone to get sued... not that it would entirely be a bad thing in this case.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 03:12:50 AM »
The first thing that came to my mind was oh god the cancer.
First, skin is obviously quite opaque to these X-rays. Second, I'm sure they considered that. Third, you probably get a hundred times that much radiation from being at high altitude for a few hours (eg, flying on an airplane).

But yeah, it's still a privacy issue and airport security will still be a joke.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »
No not for the casual traveler. But cancer is a disease that is very much dependent on your environment, and isn't affected by one thing but rather a combination of unnatural things that take their toll over time. Things like pollution, deep fried food and barbecuing meats resulting in carcinogens, certain food chemicals including sugar substitutes are also known to have cancer causing properties. Smoking that falls into pollution is again dangerous.

Not one of these factors will give you cancer, but many of these over a period of time can trigger something wrong -- but that also depends on the human body as some have more resistance.

Something like X-rays aren't meant to be fired at you every day. Most people are likely to need not more than three X-rays in a lifetime. My uncle lives in Virginia and air travels every other day, and is just an example. But if this comes to pass, in one week he'd already have had more X-Rays than most of us would have in a lifetime.

linky

A study into the risk of developing cancer from exposure to medical X-ray tests has estimated that 0.6% of all cancers diagnosed in the UK are due to medical X-rays. According to the researchers, this would account for roughly 700 of the 124,000 new cases of cancer in the UK each year. The work has been published in the 31 January 2004 issue of The Lancet medical journal.

Now that's just medical X-rays that aren't really that high in volume. I am just wondering, how'd the come up with that stat? How do you measure what has caused the cancer?

LONDON (AP) - The risk of cancer from common X-rays and increasingly popular CT scans ranges from less than 1 percent to about 3 percent, according to a new study.

The small risk posed by X-ray radiation is well-known, but the study by researchers from Oxford University and Cancer Research U.K. makes the most careful effort to date to estimate it precisely, the scientists said.

CT scans, also known as CAT scans, are computer-enhanced X-rays that can provide a better view of all parts of the body. But they emit significantly more radiation than a standard X-ray.

In the United States, doctors have urged caution about unnecessarily using the scans on children. Children are more sensitive to radiation and exposure is cumulative

Anyway I guess that is why this X-ray test is optional.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 08:25:01 AM »
Now that's just medical X-rays that aren't really that high in volume. I am just wondering, how'd the come up with that stat? How do you measure what has caused the cancer?

Probably by ruling out everything else and measuring the most likely cancer source. Although, it could still be caused by something unforeseen. Maybe they have a test or the site of the cancer is generally associated with medical X-ray tests.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »
Hey guys, guess what? I just got a job working at the airport!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 10:52:31 AM »
haha again I knew you were going to make that joke. When I was creating the thread I was wondering if I should say "Idol is going to get a job at the airport", but then it is just funnier when you do it.

I think it was the same thing in the thread about the Netherlands government considering providing hookers... :P :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 10:56:23 AM »
I'm fairly predictable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 11:02:41 AM »
But funny!

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »
Pug: Don't bother arguing with me about this. Make no mistake, you will lose.  ;D
But cancer is a disease that is very much dependent on your environment, and isn't affected by one thing but rather a combination of unnatural things that take their toll over time.
That's not how cancer develops from radiation exposure. That particular risk is usually modeled with the linear hypothesis, which basically assumes that one person receiving a dose of 100 REM will yield on average as many new cancers as ten people getting 10 REM. (The linear hypothesis is known to be wrong for radiation exposure, but they use it anyway because it errs on the side of caution. See "radiation hormesis," in particular.)
Not one of these factors will give you cancer, but many of these over a period of time can trigger something wrong -- but that also depends on the human body as some have more resistance.
"Cancer" is a discrete event in which one particular cell develops a mutation causing uncontrolled growth. Whatever specific cause triggers the mutation, is the cause of that cancer. (Immunocompromised patients also have an "increased risk" of cancer, not because such a mutation is more likely to happen in them, but because their immune systems are less likely to respond. In theory they should get cancer at the same rate as the rest of us, and then have a poorer course and outcome; but in practice they're also at an increased risk of developing a malignant tumor that their immune systems fail to respond to and so do get more cancers than the rest of us.)
Something like X-rays aren't meant to be fired at you every day. Most people are likely to need not more than three X-rays in a lifetime. My uncle lives in Virginia and air travels every other day, and is just an example. But if this comes to pass, in one week he'd already have had more X-Rays than most of us would have in a lifetime.
These are a good deal less powerful than medical X-rays; they don't penetrate skin very well at all (meaning that the only real risk is skin cancer); and X-rays and worse are raining down on you from space all the time. (They also come from the ground, seawater, granite rocks, and your own body, to name a few common sources. Also, most natural radiation exposure is in the spectrum of gamma rays, which are like X-rays except a) worse and b) more able to penetrate internal organs.) Also, flying on an airplane automatically exposes you to a relatively large dose of radiation.
Probably by examining patient histories, and correlating the frequency of medical X-rays with the frequency of cancers. (Chances are they also controlled for any confounds they could identify.)
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 04:18:07 PM by WindAndConfusion »

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »
Probably by ruling out everything else and measuring the most likely cancer source.
No. They look at patients with otherwise similar medical histories and see if, on average, the ones who have more X-rays get more cancers.
Although, it could still be caused by something unforeseen.
Studies of that sort establish correlation, not causation (although causation is probably suggested in this case - too bad Pug's link doesn't bother citing the source so I can review it). Also, it makes no difference to the study whether or not they know what the cause is; if there's a link, it should emerge.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 04:20:30 PM by WindAndConfusion »

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 02:32:10 PM »
certain food chemicals including sugar substitutes are also known to have cancer causing properties.

Actually we got into this in another thread and it's not really true.  There are lots of things that really don't cause cancer that people think do.  I'm not trying to be a dick or anything I just thought you might like to check it out :P

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?topic=740.msg8573#msg8573

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »
In conclusion, yay boobies.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 11:44:05 PM »
Well I checked out the X-ray thing and you are right, plenty coming from the atmosphere and cosmic rays. As for the sugar substitutes they haven't ruled it out completely. There are studies pointing in both directions.

I am pretty freaked out about cancer. When I was new in this piece of shit country I had these lumps under both armpits that were freaking me out. I went to a hole in the wall hospital because that is all I could afford at the time. The doctor basically examined me and told me he suspected lymph node cancer and said we should operate to remove them. This was without a biopsy or anything.

Anyway yea... so I hate cancer.

You know what you should do? Get two cancers so they kill each other and leave you the fuck out of it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, December 06, 2006, 11:51:31 PM »
Yeah, one of my mom's best friends was diagnosed with lung cancer in august.  She died a month ago. That shit is fucked.  Aparently it go so widespread in the last little bits the nurses could actually feel the tumors under her skin in her arms and stuff.  Don't smoke. 

(oh and that reminds me....does anyone know of a program or a website that will let you record a phone conversation/voice message on the pc?  My mom wants to save her last message.)

As for this news?  I don't like where it's going.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
That is awful :(

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 12:16:47 AM »
I am so going to use metallic paint to write "FUCK YOU" or "Like it? (arrow pointing down)" on my chest if I have to go to the airport.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, December 07, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »
First I was sad, then I was scared, then I laughed.

This thread is too much for me.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Friday, December 08, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
weird thread.. wavelab will let u record on the computer.

Taken.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, December 10, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »
You know what you should do? Get two cancers so they kill each other and leave you the fuck out of it.
I don't think it works that way.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, December 10, 2006, 01:35:24 PM »
I don't think it works that way.

I'm going to side with pug on this one