Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 8459 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 05:08:06 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
SPOILERS

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
Saved me $18.25! :)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 14, 2017, 11:54:14 PM »
The actual teaser was released yesterday.  Various set pieces are shown but no plot points appeared to be revealed.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 15, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
I caught the midnight show after work. There's been a pretty big split between critic and fan reaction. I did enjoy the movie, there is some really cool stuff that happens but also some stuff that was silly or just could have been better. It will really depend on how you feel those moments will impact the rest of the movie for you. I think for the majority of everyone here, Star Wars had its time and our fandom has for the most part came and gone so these movies are sort of just a passing interest. I really enjoyed Force Awakens and it did spark my interest in them again but after Last Jedi my expectations were definitely reigned back to reality. They will be good movies but will never hold a candle to the original trilogy that started it all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 15, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
Agree.  I will say Kylo Ren is a great character though.

Offline ender

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 16, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »
Saw it a second time to better judge it. I really came out feeling good the first time, but the movie falls apart quite a bit on a repeat view after the shock of the new is over. I do agree, Kylo Ren is given much needed depth here – but the first half of the film feels really tone deaf. I didn't like Finn and Rose's drawn out subplot, and the really great stuff doesn't come until the last 40 minutes of the film. I still enjoyed more than the Force Awakens, but I felt that film was ultimately just a soulless simulation of a New Hope. At least, though, it did get the tone right for the most part.

Too many porgs in this movie... and some super cheesy dialog that is even laughable for a Star Wars film.

That end, though!

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 31, 2017, 01:33:01 AM »
Watched it. Was so so. I can see why people are not happy with it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 31, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
I thought the central conundrum was pretty dumb. The end result is real bad if The First Order wins, I get it.  But the way it was portrayed was just stupid. I also had a hard time buying Renata from Big Little Lies (great show, btw) as a military commander, especially with the purple hair.

Overall, I thought it was fine for what it is.  It's a return to kid friendliness and campiness of the original and RotJ - especially the latter.  It's trying to build a whole new generation of devoted fans.  They already have us, and the movie isn't really for us.  That said, I found it reasonably enjoyable and still like it quite a bit more than that prequel garbage.

As to the Porgs... I liked them.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 31, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »
I also enjoyed the porgs. Dont @ me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 08:01:24 AM »
My biggest problem was Luke.

Luke always seemed like the dude who always had hope, even when he shouldn't have. And for him to not have such hope here, just seems...out of character for him. The build-up and cliche reason he became bitter & mean just...didn't really earn this character arc...
(click to show/hide)

Granted, Luke did what he could and played a bitter & miserable character well, it just didn't feel like that character arc was ever earned.