Author Topic: Quake 1 updated and Enhanced on Steam & Bethesda.Net  (Read 4017 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Quake 1 updated and Enhanced on Steam & Bethesda.Net
« on: Thursday, August 19, 2021, 11:12:34 PM »
Quake 1 (base-game) has been updated & Enhanced on Steam and Bethesda.Net for PC, just like they did w/ Doom 1 and Doom 2 last year.
- Game-owners of this game on those stores, update's free.
- Everybody else: you'll have to buy it, if you want it.

This new update adds all kinds of features - graphic improvements/changes; all expansions added to the base-game product here for free; Quake 64 version (Listed as a Mod; you'll need Bethesda.Net account to download that); 2 Episodes from MachineGames (1 of those was released a bit ago for free; and one is NEW Episode is released today in this Package/Update); Crossplay w/ consoles (since this was also released on consoles and is also on Xbox Game Pass); Multiplayer support with Bethesda.Net; etc etc.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Quake 1 updated and Enhanced on Steam & Bethesda.Net
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 19, 2021, 11:12:54 PM »

Patch notes list - https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2310/view/2945904318371492362

Patch Notes incoming:

Release Notes & FAQ
Quake – the legendary dark fantasy FPS that revolutionized the genre is now enhanced! This new offering features cross-play, dedicated servers for online deathmatch matchmaking, free optional Add-ons, split-screen support for local deathmatch and co-op, AI opponents in deathmatch and more!

Note: Steam users who already own Quake will automatically receive the new enhanced version with a free download!

Read the FAQ below for details on how to access the enhanced version.

RELEASE NOTES

Enhanced Graphics
Better lighting, new models, updated maps, and a dynamic shadow system headline the graphical features available in Quake. Individual features of the enhanced graphics can be turned on and off to your preference

Includes Original Expansion Packs
The two retail expansion packs, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are both now bundled with Quake, and are integrated into the main game. The downloadable expansion pack, Dimension of the Past, has also been upgraded and included

Includes Soundtrack
The iconic original soundtrack by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is now included on all versions for the first time. The soundtracks for Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of Eternity are also included when playing those expansion packs

Brand New "Dimension of the Machine" Episode
Created for Quake's 25th anniversary, Dimension of the Machine is a brand new experience created by the MachineGames team. Continue your fight through brand new dimensions, figure out the secret to restarting the machine, and come face to face with an old foe

Free Optional Add-ons
Similar to our re-releases of DOOM (1993) and DOOM II, we will also be periodically releasing free optional Add-ons available to download in the in-game "Adds-on" menu. Our first Add-on is Quake 64, which includes the original alternate soundtrack by acclaimed composer Aubrey Hodges

Split-Screen Multiplayer
Quake includes 4 player split-screen multiplayer on all platforms, in both deathmatch and co-op modes. Fight against your friends, or with your friends in all five campaigns. AI bots are also available to play against in deathmatch mode

Online Multiplayer
Play custom matches on player-hosted servers, or hop into matchmaking and play on dedicated servers. Quake also now includes the extra levels Acrophobia, and The Edge available in deathmatch mode. Dimension of the Machine also contains all new deathmatch levels

Cross-Play Multiplayer
Play with friends no matter which platform they prefer. Cross-play is available on all platforms, so you can play Quake with everyone

Supported Languages
English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Russian

PC SPECS

Minimum Spec (1080p/60 HZ)
Windows 10
Intel Core i5-3570 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300x @ 3.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 TI (2GB) or AMD HD 7750 (1GB)
8GB System RAM
Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive (additional space required for optional Add-ons)
High speed broadband connection required for online play

Recommended Spec (*4K/120 HZ)
Windows 10
Intel Core i5-6600k @ 3.5 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB) or AMD RX Vega 56 (8GB)
8GB System RAM
Minimum 2GB free space on hard drive (additional space required for optional Add-ons)
High speed broadband connection required for online play

*Compatible display required

FAQ

I bought Quake already, how do I get access to the new release?
Previous owners of Quake on Steam will automatically receive the new version with a free download. It may already be updated by the time you read this! Additionally, if you didn't own Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternity on Steam, you will also be granted access to the original versions of those in-game

How do I access the original versions of the game on Steam?
Steam: Launch options are available to launch the original versions of the games, and the original files are still on disk in the same place

How do I play with friends on other platforms via cross-play?
The easiest way to join a cross-play match with friends is using the room code system. The room code is a 4 letter code that can be seen inside the pre-game lobby. Send this to your friends over text message, Discord, or yelling very loudly, and they'll be able to join through the multiplayer menu without having to search through the match browser or enter passwords. Note that on some platforms, cross-play can be disabled at the system level. If you have problems joining cross-play matches, ensure that this is enabled

If I already own Quake on Steam, will my saves carry over?
Existing save games do not carry over from the original to the enhanced versions of Quake and Steam and Bethesda Launcher. You can continue to use original Quake save games by launching the original version of the game on both platforms

Will I need a Bethesda.net account to play the game?
A Bethesda.net account is required for online multiplayer, and Add-ons. Everything else in the game is playable without linking your account

What are the resolutions and framerates for PC?
PC: Maximum supported by video card/display

What input devices are supported on PC?
On the PC, mouse and keyboard and most controllers should work. Split-screen is available with mixed mouse/keyboard and controller

Do I need an always online connection to play the game?
Quake can be played offline. Currently, official Add-ons require an internet connection to play even if previously downloaded, however we hope to address this in a future update

Are existing mods supported on PC?
The PC enhanced version will load any mod that the original version supported (when existing mods have been placed in the game install directory). However it will not support some mods that require a new/different source port from the original game

Note: We did raise some engine limits from the original version in our new enhanced version but cannot confirm compatibility with all modern Quake mods

KNOWN ISSUES
- In local multiplayer, the weapon wheel will be partially cut off in vertical split screen. This does not occur in horizontal split screen
- If the player uses the Attack input to respawn in multiplayer, they will fire a shot as they respawn
- Users are unable to access downloaded Add-ons without being connected to the internet. This is not intended functionality and will be fixed in a future update
- While in local multiplayer, if you wish to remove players from the lobby, you need to back out of the local multiplayer menu and re-enter it
- Some player movement issues may occur in online co-op matches in Scourge of Armagon
- The Guardian death sounds in may repeat indefinitely in Scourge of Armagon. If this occurs, either save and load your progress or exit the level
- Players switching away from Quake by using ALT+TAB, may notice that they lose control over the cursor. If this occurs, simply return to Quake, and interact with the game to restore control

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 21, 2021, 10:29:47 PM »
It's pretty awesome, a good excuse to play through it again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 22, 2021, 12:27:37 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 23, 2021, 06:33:13 PM »
Finished my play through of the OG campaign. Had a really good time with it and now I'm looking around the internet at all the custom map packs people have made over the years. Probably going to check a bunch of them out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 26, 2021, 06:07:07 AM »
@Idol

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the new Quake Remaster. I also love it myself and have been playing the Dimensions of the Past episode, here & there.

I also love that b/c the game ain't big in size by today's standards - well, the old versions of the game remain too. So, for all those purists and/or Source Port fans - yeah, you can still use those.