Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 197533 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 02:35:57 AM »
Well we do differ on movies a lot I think. For example we both disliked Titanic, but I disliked it and moved on with my life. You on the other hand killed Leonardo DiCaprio and replaced him with a clone who went on to do good movies like The Aviator, The Departed and Blood Diamond.

So thank you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2007, 06:36:57 AM »
You are most welcome Lord Pugnate. Now we must decide on the next target.

But first we must watch a Tom Cruise movie and make notes for satirical improvisation. Actually I just realized how redundant that would be. Scratch that. Let's just watch a full anime series.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 01:33:01 AM »
ahem..

In Her shoes

Charlotte's Web

Transformers

Bourne Supremacy

Monster in law (this was the worst one)
Taken.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
In Her Shoes is a good chick flick.  I've watched that a couple of times on satellite TV.  I couldn't get over the adolescent tone of Transformers, though the action and visuals were very good.  Bourne Supremacy is terrific.  I've had Monster In Law in my hand at Blockbuster 2 or 3 times.  I put it back.  I resisted the dumb impulse every time.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
Grindhouse was awesome; especially Planet Terror.

I disliked The Prestige quite a bit. Mainly because someone told me at the beginning the movie was complicated, would mess with my head and I'd need to watch it twice to figure it out. So that put me on guard and ruined the twist at the end of the movie since I had figured it out so much earlier. The movie itself was probably good, my expectation was just for something different.

Reign Over Me was another great movie. That, Grindhouse, Bourne Ultimatum and Darjeeling Limited are so far my favourite movies of 2007. Knocked up could be in there too.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »
In Her Shoes is a good chick flick. 

yes, it was surprisingly entertaining.  Though the simon stein dude was just too sugary.  A guy can be clean and nice and all that without the sugary vibe.

A Girl With a Pearl Earring - i didn't get to finish this.
Taken.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 12:23:00 AM »
I watched You Kill Me. I enjoyed it. I was in the modd for that kind of movie.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 12:30:32 AM »
In Her Shoes is a good chick flick.  I've watched that a couple of times on satellite TV.  I couldn't get over the adolescent tone of Transformers, though the action and visuals were very good.  Bourne Supremacy is terrific.  I've had Monster In Law in my hand at Blockbuster 2 or 3 times.  I put it back.  I resisted the dumb impulse every time.

Watch Monster In Law, even though I hate J-Lo the movie is really funny.

I watched Talk To Me and I thought it was a pretty good movie, I don't know how everyone else will like it. Don Cheadle kicks ass as always.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 09:44:45 AM »
Last week I've seen....
1. Superbad -- Super-hilarious.

2. Spider-Man 3 -- Mediocre, at best. Too much going on w/ not enough time to flesh it all out. Plus, the most interesting villain, The Sand Man, got nowhere enough time. He stole the show, pretty much, for the little amount of time he was on the screen.

This morning, I watched...
3. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix -- Better than Goblet Of Fire, if that's saying anything. Another chapter of Potter that runs for too long, has a good dead of "dead time", and leave too much shit hanging; just like the previous chapter (The Goblet Of Fire) did. Hmmm -- they must've been watching the way Valve loves to leave shit unanswered and left hanging or something. Mediocre, at best. Still, Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite of the Potter movies, by far.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
The fact that you have a favorite Potter movie speaks volumes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
The last Harry Potter movie was quite awesome actually. I was surprised

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
Find Me Guilty: When I first heard of this straight to DVD Vin Diesel flick, I laughed at the screen. After watching it, I have to say that if it were released in theaters it might have won some awards. Its based on a true story, its pretty accurate and interesting, check it out.

Fear X: This is the worst movie I've seen in a long time, I don't even want to talk about it...look it up for yourself.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, December 16, 2007, 03:43:35 PM »
The last Harry Potter movie was quite awesome actually. I was surprised
I was disappointed like there was no tomorrow.

Goblet and Order spoilers...
(click to show/hide)

Quote from: Nickclone
Fear X: This is the worst movie I've seen in a long time, I don't even want to talk about it...look it up for yourself.
The movie started off good...
...but then it suddenly got weird and further into the movie, it instantly takes a whole change in shift -- and it turns into something like David Lynch would've written...

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, December 19, 2007, 07:13:07 AM »
Ratatouille and a chinese one (didn't catch the name)..

ratatouille i finally got to finish..  took me a while!  it's good but nothing's beat the satisfaction of monster's inc.. dont' ask me why.. but when i watched monster's inc.. i felt really good at the end.. haha

Taken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 08:05:13 PM »
Eastern Promises
The Kingdom
The Simpsons Movie
Ocean's 13

They were all pretty good.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, December 25, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »
Fracture - not bad but you gotta be in the mood for a court drama.

Superbad - It was just that: super-bad. I didn't like it. I found it to just be a vulgar movie. Mind you, I did like a few bits with the cops. The fat kid is one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever come across. He was pretty much the same in Kocked Up (except a little down-tone). It feels like he only gets parts in movies as favours from friends.

Rush Hour 3 - I liked both RH1 & RH2. With that in mind I didn't enjoy this one. Chris Tucker is irritating and the stunts felt kinda overplayed.

Dragon Wars - That was a waste of time.

Shoot 'Em Up - One of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it ;D

The Invasion - I still can't like Nicole Kidman. I don't know what it is. It was an okay flick. Nothing special.

I Am Legend - As I mentioned in the relevant thread, I wasn't impressed. It was nothing spectacular, and I imagine fans of the book are pissed.

That was my most recent line-up of movies over the last couple of months.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, December 25, 2007, 07:43:00 AM »
Shoot 'Em Up - One of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen. I thoroughly enjoyed it ;D

I definitely wanna' see that one.

I think that's due out next week on DVD here in the US.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, December 25, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
I definitely wanna' see that one.

I think that's due out next week on DVD here in the US.

Hehe just prepare yourself mentally for an insane (yet entertaining) amount of BS! hehe

Seriously, Mr. Smith (Clive Owen) makes James Bond look like a timid kindergartener!

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »
The Simpsons Movie: It was like three episodes all strung together without commercials, it had about as many laughs as three new episodes as well. I was hoping that it would be more PG-13 than what it was, all we got was a pair of balls, a middle finger and one goddamn. Weak!

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: The least favorite of all of the trilogy, there just wasn't anything happening throughout the three hour movie. The only redeeming point of this movie was the ending which I totally didn't see coming.

No Country For Old Men: After hearing everyone rave about this movie I expected something more than what I saw. Not only were so many explanations left out (the Cohens tried to leave things out in a way that would make them look artistic, but it came off as a time restraint), but the ending was just bad. Actually, in order to be bad, there has to actually be an ending. The ending was...nothing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2008, 03:43:10 PM »
Started off 2008 with a bang earlier today, with two action movies....

Shoot 'Em Up -- Ahhh, how can you not like this action-packed, ridiculous over-the-top movie? Eh, it was hilarious and a hell of a lot of fun to watch, on-screen. And, loaded w/ plenty of in-jokes, for those who've watched enough action movies. Yeah, it was pretty good, to say the least.

(click to show/hide)

War -- I liked it. It was solid. Though the twist at the end kind of came a little bit out of nowhere, despite a few things that alluded that this might happen. Seems like they could've dropped more hints than the few obvious ones, for a better lead into it. But yes, the action itself in the movie was pretty good. 

After watching both movies back-to-back, I think that must be one of the most ridiculously high body-counts I've ever seen for watching two action-packed movies back-to-back. :P

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #100 on: Thursday, January 03, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
Rush Hour 3 - This series needs to end.
War - Totally unexpected twist, but very mediocre movie overall.
Shoot'Em Up - Ridiculous movie, but it had a few good moments.
Resident Evil Extinction - Better than the second... this one is about on par with the first.  So it was passable.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Friday, January 04, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »
Saw Shoot Em Up. Like ippi said, ridiculous but entertaining enough. Leave your brain and logic at the door and watch a guy shoot a bunch of people. Some pretty funny moments as well.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, January 05, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »
I just realized that "War" is actually called "Rogue Assassins" on this side of the world. Having watched the movie it's a slightly more appropriate name than the all-too generic word "War."

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
Eastern Promises: I didn't like this movie at all, it was so boring and uneventful that I had to stop the movie after an hour and go to sleep. I finished the movie when I woke up, but the movie still sucked. On top of that, the movie just ended...if you can call it an ending.

The Kingdom: I have a soft spot for these political/thriller movies and I really liked this one. I would've liked it better if there were more detective work in it, but the shootout at the end makes up for anything wrong with this movie.

Reno 911 Miami: I don't watch the show (even though it is funny), but I watched he movie and it was great! It was like one long episode with nudity, violence and bad language. Its also only an hour and 20 minutes so its a movie that gets straight to the point.

The Science of Sleep: This movie is very pretentious and indie like...but I still enjoyed it very much. I like this movie because of the great visuals, camera work, characters and music. I think anyone who has ever been blindsided by love will also be able to identify with this movie as much as I did; especially if you have a wild imagination.

The Wicker Man: I saw the remake first and it was pretty bad, I decided to watch the original and it was ten times better. Nicholas Cage be damned! Go check out the original, I believe its on Fearnet on Comcast On Demand.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 12:08:16 AM »
Watched Good Luck Chuck! I thought it was good ;D Had some hilarious moments!

Charlie: "What is sex without love?"
Stu: "SEX! IT'S STILL SEX!!"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 03:17:12 AM »
I watched The Heartbreak Kid. God I love Ben Stiller movies, even if they suck. This had a lot of awful moments, and the movie's lead came off as a real psycho... but I laughed a lot.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »
I watched The Heartbreak Kid. God I love Ben Stiller movies, even if they suck. This had a lot of awful moments, and the movie's lead came off as a real psycho... but I laughed a lot.
Haha yeah that was an alright one! I wanna watch the original with Charles Grodin and Cybill Shepherd.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, January 10, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
Watched the other day the new version (w/ Russell Crowe and Christian Bale) of 3:10 To Yuma.

Yeah, it was really good.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, January 10, 2008, 10:52:04 PM »
I watched Good Luck Chuck which was teh suck.

What is up with all these romantic comedies that had leads that are total psychos?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #109 on: Friday, January 11, 2008, 03:20:08 AM »
I watched Good Luck Chuck which was teh suck.

What is up with all these romantic comedies that had leads that are total psychos?
Hehe I laughed when I saw how psycho he was going! hehe Especially since it's Dane Cook who seems kinda psycho to begin with :P I still enjoyed it though. Jessica Alba was adorable & sexy! Something about her accident-prone character captured me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #110 on: Friday, January 11, 2008, 06:55:52 AM »
haha I know...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 10:11:09 PM »
Jessica Alba was adorable & sexy!
I do like her, too...

...Though, her choice in picking movies, I think it needs to be better -- look at Fantastic 4 and Into The Blue. Both were just ansolutely terrible.

Something about her accident-prone character captured me.

Why? Can you relate to her "accident prone-ness" or something? :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, January 12, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
I do like her, too...

...Though, her choice in picking movies, I think it needs to be better -- look at Fantastic 4 and Into The Blue. Both were just ansolutely terrible.

Yeah, she's had a few so-so's though some would argue she mad ethem better :P I'm curious how she's gonna do in "The Eye."

Why? Can you relate to her "accident prone-ness" or something? :P
Hehe I guess so :P She's just an adorable klutz :D

Hmm, according to several zodiac accounts, Sagittarians are supposedly very accident-prone due to our expressive physical nature.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 01:45:27 AM »
28 Weeks Later: Not bad. I liked it well enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #114 on: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 01:50:15 AM »
Some movie that was on TV.  It had a reasonably attractive woman.  It was OK.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #115 on: Sunday, January 13, 2008, 03:27:21 AM »
I just watched Eagle vs Shark. Very strange movie but it has its charm.

Eagle vs Shark is the tale of two socially awkward misfits and the strange ways they try to find love; through revenge on high-school bullies, burgers, and video games.

EDIT:

I'm also looking forward to Sweeney Todd!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 09:10:06 AM »
I saw Evan Almighty. Oh man was it ever so fucking awful.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
I saw Evan Almighty. Oh man was it ever so fucking awful.
Yeah that was not as good as originally anticipated.. Still better than Evita though. Come to think of it I'd watch it over Titanic any day. That doesn't mean it's good, just preferable to certain alternatives. Kinda like "would you rather get kicked in the shin or stabbed in the face?"

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, January 15, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
Saw 3:10 to Yuma.  Good Western film.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, January 16, 2008, 12:22:01 AM »
Juno
superb. it's has great music, some very witty dialogue and most of all, it's immensely touching. the writing is top notch and the characters feel like actual people, which is no doubt helped by some great actors. it starts off small, but grows into something much bigger, with the relationships becoming fleshed out and the gradual insights we get into each of the characters.

i haven't felt as moved by a movie since amelie, or maybe eternal sunshine. it's bitter sweet in the truest sense of the phrase and i can't recommend it highly enough.