Author Topic: Fable 2 (X360) -> Removed from Xbox.com & Games on Demand [12/3/2012]  (Read 34153 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fable 2 Thread -- Update: Lionhead's aiming for Late 2008 on X360
« Reply #40 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 08:49:35 PM »
Interesting to see that I had no interest in this in January... but enough time has gone by now that I could play and enjoy a good Fable 2.  I hope it turns out well.  Some of the ideas will be wonderful if pulled off right.  Even with Fable being a little more standard than we'd hoped, it turned out to be a good game that I don't regret purchasing and playing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 09:35:53 PM »
Interesting to see that I had no interest in this in January... but enough time has gone by now that I could play and enjoy a good Fable 2.  I hope it turns out well.  Some of the ideas will be wonderful if pulled off right.  Even with Fable being a little more standard than we'd hoped, it turned out to be a good game that I don't regret purchasing and playing.
I really enjoyed Fable: TLC, myself.
And I do hope Fable 2 does turn out to be a great sequel -- one that will hopefully get a PC port.

I do like the sound of the setting, which sounds like it's a little reminiscent of Arcanum's.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
Wow, Arcanum.  I haven't thought of that in a while.  That brings back some good memories.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, April 06, 2008, 10:57:04 AM »
A preview on Fable 2, telling us a lot about the gameplay mechanics in there, the dog, and some more stuff.

April 5th, 2008 by MarvellousG

Fable 1
When the first Fable was released on the original Xbox, it won over many fans with its interesting good/evil mechanic. Critics received it well and large numbers were sold. But what annoyed many who followed the game before its release, was the fact that Peter Molyneux promised so many features that did not make it. It was hard to criticise him much because he expressed himself so enthusiastic. But only half the ideas he revealed that had a chance of making it into the game, made it.

Now, four years later, the Xbox 360 is enjoying a great wealth of good RPGs, both Western and Japanese. Molyneux still believes his Fable series has the chance to be the best role player out there.

Innovations
Fable 2 certainly has enough innovations to support this lofty claim thus far. The first one is the dog. Whereas most Role Playing Games rely on radars and journals to point you in the right direction, Fable 2 decides to ditch this. Instead they simply give you a dog. According to Molyneux, the dog will have the best AI ever seen in a videogame. Demonstrations thus far have shown it to be intelligent, if not award winningly so. AI aside, the dog will bark to alert you of enemies, sniff out hidden treasure and side quests, and trot merrily along towards your goal in an area.
Alerting you to enemies, sniffing out quests, and treasures....hmmm, that's interesting.

BTW, didn't Fate have a dog as your companion? :P
(Yes, it did -- rhetorical question).

I liked how my dog in Fate would go back to town and sell "any junk I didn't need," while I stayed in a dungeon and did my thing.

It all sounds well and good, but I’m still unsure whether or not this will end up being a frustrating gimmick, leaving players wishing for a good old fashioned journal screen. However, what has been shown so far -has- been promising. What also seems interesting about this trusty canine figure is that he will change his looks according to the player’s actions. Be good and so will your dog. Be bad, and you’ll have a yapping rottweiler as company. This seems a nice elaboration of Fable’s behaviour mechanic, and will make for an interesting man and his best friend duo that differs for every player.
I can see it now...
"Rosebud...sick 'em, boy!"

Combat
In combat lies the second innovation. Apparently it is ‘simple yet deep’. Your controls are X for melee attack, Y for ranged attacks and B for magic. These are all context sensitive, so going through an area full of enemies via a different route might lead to seeing many different animations each time. However, could this simply be making the classic error of mistaking ‘accessible’ for ‘shallow’? It seems not, as players will be able to upgrade their powers as they see fit, to build whatever character class you want. You could unlock more combos, better weapons or more powerful spells, and a wealth of other abilities.
Okay.

Co-op
The third innovation Molyneux announced is co-op. At any point in your game, a friend can turn on his wireless controller, press start, and he’s in. This jump-in jump-out play, reminiscent of Lego Star Wars, has never really been tried in an RPG before but it looks it will work extremely well. You and your friend can run around each other’s game worlds, killing each other’s families if you so choose (come one, you know you will), and generally wreaking two times the amount of havoc you would experience on your own.
Man, you know, that would be bad-ass if that could be over Xbox Live.
If there's a PC version, that could be hell of a lot of fun over The Internet...

One thing that’s been dropped from the cooperative play is the dog, so you won’t be able to see whose pup can fetch the best. Lionhead says this is due to the frame rate hit the game would take. Co-op was a feature planned for the original Fable, and was playable at one point. It is good to see all of the best ideas that didn’t make it into the original finding their way into this game.
Dammit, it would've been cool to see two heroes and two dogs fighting it out...

Love
The fourth and final innovation revealed so far is love, simple as that. What, you cry? Love? Well, yes. At some point in your game you will find a lady friend, and have the routine that we have in real life: appear pleasant, go out on dates, become close, and then hopefully marriage. And then, hopefully children. Yes, there is sex in Fable 2. No, you don’t get to see it, but you will see the results. When that mini-you pops out, you’ve got your very own virtual family to take care of. Joy.
Sounds like there will be more expansion on the "Sims" side of stuff here than the original Fable, which laid out a pretty good foundation for what could come in a sequel.

Your child will then, much in the same way as your dog (stay with me), emulate how you yourself behave in the game. Be good, and little Sam or Samantha will be coming home with good grades and praise from all of the teachers at their school. Be bad, and you’ll be getting letters home asking for your ray of sunshine to ‘please leave our esteemed educational facility’. Maybe it won’t happen quite like that, but your family sure will take after you. Molyneux also talks of Fable 2 forcing you to make decisions that may linger with you after you stop playing, much in the same fashion as Mass Effect so triumphantly succeeded in doing.

“There will be a moment six hours into game where you walk into room and someone will ask you to do something and you will have to sacrifice something precious to you as a gamer. You will put down the controller and ask, what am I going to do?” So, what are you going to do? Is Molyneux hinting at maybe killing an innocent to save the world, or something maybe smaller in the scheme of things, but a little closer to home? Will you have to say goodbye to one of your children? It would seem so, and that’s where ‘love’ comes in. Molyneux promises that you will get to know your virtual family as if they were your real one, and that you will truly have deep feelings of affection for all of them. Big claims indeed.
Let's hope out it turns out as good as it sounds.

Can’t come soon enough
If this article seems a little sceptical of Lionhead’s epic, it is because of all the features promised for the original Fable but were never delivered. If anything, I’m simply trying to contain my own excitement by believing everything Molyneux says to be cruel lies. But if even half of what he says makes its way into the game, then we may truly be in for an RPG revolution. Q3 2008 can’t come soon enough!
I hope it turns out well on the X360...and that of course, we get a PC port later on.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 06, 2008, 01:01:21 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fable 2 - Update: New preview on The AI & Features of Dog, GamePlay, Love, E
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, April 06, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
Cool, I like the dog idea. It's more organic and immersive than a radar I suppose.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fable 2 - Update: New preview on The AI & Features of Dog, GamePlay, Love, E
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:28:17 AM »
Cool, I like the dog idea. It's more organic and immersive than a radar I suppose.
I guess it'll be one less "Quest Journal" screen for the player to actually look into, to have Lassie/Kujo point you in the right direction, looking around for treasure, et etc.

Might make it a lot easier for the casual gamer to jump into the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:40:52 AM »
This dog idea makes want a new Shinobi game.. Well only of them actually had a dog (Shadow Dancer).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, May 15, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »
Basically, Fable 2 is done, content-wise. They're stomping bugs and polishing the game up for the Holiday 2008 release on the X360.

Oh, and they are planning around THREE more Fable games.

Fable 2 'content complete,' 3 more Fables planned, Danish site reports
42 Comments by James Ransom-Wiley May 13th 2008 10:58AM
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360

Fable 2 is "content complete" with a measly 5,000 bugs to squash before it's completely complete, reports NeoGAF poster "Vinterbird" (aka Mikkel Vinther of Xboxlife.dk). The Danish site published a preview of Lionhead's second try today, based on a visit to the studio's headquarters in Guilford, UK last week. Vinther kindly translated the good parts, highlighting these new details in his post on NeoGAF:

* Mini-map has been replaced with a "bread crumb trail;" a dynamic golden line on the ground that directs you to a destination (read: medieval GPS)
    * Magic system is divided into focused, single-foe attacks and ranged attacks; attacks can be built up into five levels using various spell combinations
    * Speaking of spells, there'll be just eight (but remember, they can be combined)
    * Every house in the game is up for sale; each house will unlock a sidequest, item or skill
    * Rough estimation: 20-30 times larger than the first Fable [Microsoft says: "a world 10 times the size of the iconic Xbox game"]
    * The gameworld features seasons and dynamic weather
    * Cutscenes are interactive; the d-pad can be used to issue certain gestures that will steer conversations
    * Sex minigame was canned; instead, screen goes dark and moaning ensues (sex can still be unprotected though! Babies, yes; STDs, unconfirmed)
    * Female character was almost canned; almost.
    * And finally: Three more Fable sequels are being planned. (Lionhead is currently wrapping up Fable 2 and focusing on an announced project.)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Fable 2 = Done, LH is bug-stomping, 3 more Fables planned
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
E3 2008 Fable II video

Okay, here's what this trailer shows off -- how Co-Op mode works.

If you're playing this and you're hooked-up to XBLive, you can INVITE your friends/other gamers to enter YOUR version of Albion and take part in YOUR version of Albion, if you like.

Given that Fable games do have that huge sandbox quality, well -- anything can happen. They can team up with you; Hell, y'all can be enemies and duke it out; you can go drinking together at a pub together; play some of the in-game mini-games together; you can introduce your friend to your wife and kids (if you have any) and he can interact with them in any way the game does allow for; etc etc.

This is VERY interesting.

Oh man, I hope this turns out great on the X360. I'd really love to see another Fable game come to the PC, in the future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Fable 2 E3 Video
« Reply #49 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
Rumor has it that Fable 2's Main Quest is around 12 hours short/long.
Though, there's supposed to be LOTS of side quest stuff to do (not know how littke/much as of yet).

E3E3 2008: Fable 2 Story 12 Hours Long
[Ure "Vader" Paul]
08:24 am EDT @ July 18th, 2008
Filed under: FABLE 2, LIONHEAD STUDIOS

Word reached us via Joystiq, that the main story in Fable II will take approximately 12 hours to complete. Well, glaze my nipples and call be Rita! That sounds short. But hang on, there's more to it.

Fable II appears to focus heavily its side-quests and exploration, as explained by Peter Molyneux during the E3. In fact, the included the dog in the game to sort of drive players towards this.

Also, it's possible to buy almost every building in the game and there's always the aspect of starting families. So, essentially, it could be a lot more than 12 hours if you devote your attention to trying out everything the game offers.

The Fable II E3 '08 trailer can be seen here and the new screenshots here.

Offline KontrollerX

« Reply #50 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 02:09:45 PM »
In other news Too Human sucks.

Also yeah Fable II looks to be every bit as horrible as the first game.

Wake me up when Dennis Dyack and Peter M. ever create a quality videogame.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #51 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »
As short as it was, I really enjoyed Fable. Sure, it was lacking alot of the things Molyneux flaunted during its development but it was a decent game. Short and sweet.

I'm looking forward to Fable 2 and I'm very curious about how the dog gameplay & information mechanics will work. It goes without saying that Molyneux always exaggerates and goes overboard with self-flattery, but I expect Fable 2 to be "decent" at the very least.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 05:38:23 PM »
I liked Fable: TLC a lot.
And I do look forward to Fable 2, myself -- especially when it gets its PC port. And yes, I really would like to see the "dog" in action and all. I think that'll be very interesting.

Also, I would like to see how that MP turns out -- especially in a PC version. Especially if it does the usual MP support and/or LAN support (as opposed to say Windows Live). I could imagine how cool it'll be for me to walk say into other people's version of Albion for Fable 2 -- Que's and Xessive's would be interesting!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #53 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 07:36:58 PM »
Fable was nothing like we expected it to be, and certainly far from revolutionary in all but a few small senses, but I still say it was a quality game.  It didn't suck, it just wasn't the original vision.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #54 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 08:22:47 PM »
I hated Fable. I played it for about 2 hours and got really, really bored. Plus I remember it being really easy.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #55 on: Friday, July 18, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
Easy it definitely was.  That was a bit of a problem.  And the beginning was really quite boring as well.  It definitely improved after that.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #56 on: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 12:45:57 AM »
I actually im putting some time into Fable as of now since Im a little excited for this sequel. The beginning was slow, but once it opens up Im really enjoying it. Going for the ranger type skills at the moment.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 12:58:35 AM »
Those were my favorite as well.  Bow and arrow with tons of upgrades was really fun to use.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, July 19, 2008, 01:53:27 AM »
I generally play it with a focus sword & archery skills and there's only one spell I really ever use: Assassin Rush!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, July 27, 2008, 05:12:17 AM »
I used namely melee weapons and magic.

Yeah, Fable: TLC was not revolutionary, but it had some cool features some of the other games didn't -- the changing and aging; the getting married; getting a house; etc etc. On their own, they didn't stand so great -- but as a whole, w/ the other features, they worked as a complete package. At least it built a very good foundation for a sequel.

Fable: TLC might not have been the vision Peter Molyneux originally envisioned, but damn -- it was still somehow all very, very good.

Offline KontrollerX

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, July 29, 2008, 10:45:30 PM »
Well despite my hatred for the first game the overwritten.net love and faith in the sequel has convinced me to pre-order Fable II.

If I end up not liking the game I will Fedex it to MysterD.

That or use it as a drink coaster.  :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, August 02, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
Well despite my hatred for the first game the overwritten.net love and faith in the sequel has convinced me to pre-order Fable II.
I hope it turns out to at least be good. I think it probably will be.
And when it gets a PC port, consider me there.

If I end up not liking the game I will Fedex it to MysterD.
Dammit! I don't own a X360. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, August 02, 2008, 11:31:30 AM »
Fedex it to me, then.   ;D

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, August 09, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »
Fable 2 release date & limited edition unveiled!

Microsoft Game Studios and Lionhead Studios announced that the highly anticipated action role-playing game Fable II will ship to U.S. retailers on Oct. 21, 2008 and UK retailers on Oct. 24, with subsequent release dates throughout the rest of the world in the coming months.

Developed by Peter Molyneux and Lionhead Studios, the creators of the critically-acclaimed Fable and Black & White, Fable II offers an infinite amount of choice in an open world environment, allowing gamers to become the most heralded of all heroes or reviled of all villains. Ringing in new heights of innovation for the genre and expanding upon the rich experience of the first title, Fable II immerses players in the expansive world of Albion.

Fable II pioneers a new combat system designed to allow players to truly master hand weapons, ranged combat weapons and magic, each using a different single button on the Xbox 360 controller, making the game approachable and accessible to both casual and hardcore gamers. Players will live out personal and emotional experiences like never before, whether playing solo or co-op together with a friend or over Xbox LIVE, with their constant dog companion by their side.

Fans eager for a head start will have the opportunity to test their luck in the Xbox LIVE Arcade title developed exclusively for Fable II, available on Aug. 13; those who pre-order a copy of Fable II at participating retailers will be given free access to download the Fable II Pub Games, or they can be downloaded without pre-order via Xbox LIVE for 800 Microsoft points. The high-stakes casino-style pub games, titled "Fortune's Tower", "Keystone" and "Spinnerbox" will offer players the opportunity to start earning a bounty of gold and treasures to fund their adventures in Fable II, ahead of the title's release on Oct. 24.

In addition to the standard retail version, Fable II will be offered in a Limited Collector's Edition through participating retailers and will feature:

* Bonus DVD - Includes new 'Making-of Feature' with Peter Molyneux and the team at Lionhead Studios and concept art viewer
* Bonus In-Game Content (Requires LIVE account) - Includes "The Hall of the Dead" Dungeon, "The Wreckager" Legendary Cutlass Weapon and Otherworldly Bonus
* Collectible Hobbe figure with accessories - From the Qee Collection comes this one-of-a-kind Hobbe figure. Nasty, brutish, and short, he roams the countryside, preying on travelers and spiriting away the children of the unwary.
* 48-hour Xbox LIVE Gold Trial Card - With Xbox LIVE Gold, players can show off their individual hero by inviting friends into their unique version of Albion or they can visit their friends' Albion, and earn additional gold, experience and renown to take back into their own.
* Five printed Fate Cards - These five beautiful cards foretell the Hero's great destiny to journey across all of Albion, encountering deadly enemies and enigmatic allies. The path leads to a choice that will change the world forever.

The standard edition Fable II will have an estimated retail price of £44.99 and the Limited Collector's Edition will retail for an estimated price of £49.99. Fable II is rated PEGI 16+.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 04:46:03 AM »
Hmmmm....So, Fable 2: Collector's gets access to extra content (as long as they have XBLive, probably so they can DL the content).
I wonder for those who buy the Standard Ed, I wonder if they can get that content to purchase from XBLive.

I really would be interested to see what they do w/ all this Fable 2 content, if ported to the PC -- probably put all the extra straight in the box, like they did w/ Fable: TLC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 06:27:15 AM »
Hmmmm....So, Fable 2: Collector's gets access to extra content (as long as they have XBLive, probably so they can DL the content).
I wonder for those who buy the Standard Ed, I wonder if they can get that content to purchase from XBLive.

I really would be interested to see what they do w/ all this Fable 2 content, if ported to the PC -- probably put all the extra straight in the box, like they did w/ Fable: TLC.

Very likely, or they'll just make it downloadable. I hope they do it like F:TLC.

While I am anxious about Fable 2 I don't wanna put my hopes up too high.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
I'm not TOO anxious b/c there's no PC version even announced yet. :P
I really do hope the Fable 2 X360 Version turns out well, though.
So that PC port can be announced. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #67 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 05:11:25 PM »
OXM UK talks to Peter Molyneux.

Peter's pretty damn blunt about what he feels are the issues w/ Fable 2 here -- and this game ain't even out yet.

OXM: So with the second game in the can now, you're satisfied with everything? There's nothing you'd add or change?

Peter Molyneux: Um, there's low spots in the game and it's no one's fault that these low spots are there, it's just there's a lot to this game. You've got to remember that we're not building a corridor game here where you can say "right, in one hour fifteen minutes, someone's going see that light and we're going make that light like this."

I think the lip-sync is pretty bad, you know, the quality of the animation falls off, you know, quite a lot, I think the navigation can be a bit dodgy sometimes, I think the dog can... get a bit fractured sometimes. But those are sideline issues, you're not going care about those, they're technical issues, and I wish we'd had time to polish every single tiny second of the game.

But you don't want me to do that, you want an experience, and what I'm most happy with is the experience that people are getting when they play through this game. And the only people that have played through this game is the team that's worked on it, and they're the ones that normally turn round to me and say, "What the **** were you playing at!?" And they're the ones now in Fable 2 and everybody at Lionhead said Fable is different to any other game they've played before, it's a unique experience and it's better. The game is actually better than they thought it would be.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Molyneux criticizes some of his issues with Fable 2
« Reply #68 on: Monday, September 15, 2008, 10:40:11 PM »
He's just setting the stage for when the game comes out without lip-syncing, a dog, or animations.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 04:12:30 AM »
PM tends to set his own standards really high, so he could just be agitated that the lip-sync does not mimic real human lips perfectly.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »
The syncing for the original Fable was pretty bad. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 07:53:22 AM »
The syncing for the original Fable was pretty bad. 
True, what little of it there was. But it wasn't gamestoppingly bad.

To this day I think Valve have done a great job at lip-syncing, short of the Metal Gear Solid games (arguably the best ever).

I wonder what PM means by "the dog can... get a bit fractured sometimes."

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 08:38:39 AM »
You think the MGS games had good lip-syncing? I loved the games but I specifically remember MGS2 got pretty bad with that, its almost more like their lips never moved at all.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
Well, I think part of the reason is that they didn't redo the lip syncing when they translated the game.  I could be wrong on that though.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
Regardless of how well Fable did, the one thing that has retained my interest is Albion as a location.  The background, the way it was rendered, it's very charming to me.  From the looks of the screenshots it appears that have expounded upon that pretty well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
I wonder what PM means by "the dog can... get a bit fractured sometimes."
Path-finding issues maybe?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »
You think the MGS games had good lip-syncing? I loved the games but I specifically remember MGS2 got pretty bad with that, its almost more like their lips never moved at all.
I've only ever played MGS2 on PC and it was pretty good lip-syncing especially considering when it came out. MGS4 is basically movie! Arguably some of the best graphics and lip-syncing yet!

I still remember when Half-Life came out and it blew everyone's mind with how the mouths actually moved! They weren't just animated textures (like Requiem).

Then you have games like The Sims 2 and SPORE where the characters lip-sync really well to jibberish.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 03:38:08 PM »
Then you have games like The Sims 2 and SPORE where the characters lip-sync really well to jibberish.
How hard would it be to lip-sync undecipherable jibberish? :P
And would anyone even care? :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »
How hard would it be to lip-sync undecipherable jibberish? :P
And would anyone even care? :P

Hehe it's a nice touch. Makes it seem like they are speaking an actual language we don't understand.

I think it's done by automated sound recognition. I think that's how it is done for most in-game lip-sync like Oblivion.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »
urogamer writes: "Peter Molyneux has claimed that the Fable 2 Pub Games glitch, which allowed bets to be increased ten-fold by some timely button pressing, was absolutely intentional.

And those who cheated, will have a surprise waiting for them in Fable 2. The crafty old blighter.

The Fable 2 Pub Games are rubbish, but allow players to accrue gold that can be transferred into Fable 2 when the game launches on 24th October."