Author Topic: Fable 2 (X360) -> Removed from Xbox.com & Games on Demand [12/3/2012]  (Read 34155 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Fable 1 and 2 Mini-Soundtrack released
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 05:25:14 AM »
The highly touted Online Co-op Mode that Molyneux was planning for Fable 2 won't be coming in the boxed version of Fable 2.

That promised mode will still be coming, though -- in a downloadable patch. Likely, it'll be released online not too long after the game's released -- as in, likely the same week of the game's release.

Local Co-Op is still supported in the box, though.

Molyneux's Xbox 360 RPG to lack promised feature out of box; Microsoft aiming to add with launch week update.

Lionhead Studios' Peter Molyneux has a reputation for promising features for his games that don't always make it into the final product that ships to retailers. Today in a post on GamerScoreBlog, Microsoft that confirmed that will happen once more with Fable II.

When Fable II arrives in stores, it will lack the online co-op multiplayer mode Molyneux touted at a 2008 Game Developers Conference presentation.. On the bright side, Microsoft is promising that the feature will be added in a downloadable update, possibly within the game's first week on North American shelves. For those who can't wait for a patch to adventure with friends, the game will include local co-op play out of the box.

However, the game won't be entirely offline when it ships. Players will see gamers on their friends list as glowing orbs in-game, and will be able to chat or trade with them.

Fable II is expected to arrive in stores October 21. For more on the game, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

« Last Edit: Monday, October 06, 2008, 04:58:45 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Online Co-Op not in box; expect it to be a patch very soon
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »
So why don't they just delay the release? It'll give it more testing time to iron out any bugs and give them a chance to release a "complete" product.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Online Co-Op not in box; expect it to be a patch very soon
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 10:50:43 AM »
Not that I'd ever use it anyway since it'll probably require someone else over Xbox Live, but if it didn't, I'd still never be able to use it since I can't download anything to my 360.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
So why don't they just delay the release? It'll give it more testing time to iron out any bugs and give them a chance to release a "complete" product.

I think the X360 -- especially since so many users adopted Xbox Live -- have pretty much adopted the PC philosophy of "Release the game now, patch the game later."

Quote from: Que
You quoted the wrong post, and I answered your question at the start of my comment with "Not that I'd ever use it anyway since it'll probably require someone else over Xbox Live".
But, really -- if you don't have XBox Live, how the hell you gonna do Online Co-Op mode even if it does comes in the game box? :P

Though, I'm sure it'd be nice to have this feature right in the gamebox, in case you decide to join XBox Live so you don't have to patch yourself up to the newest update.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »
You quoted the wrong post, and I answered your question at the start of my comment with "Not that I'd ever use it anyway since it'll probably require someone else over Xbox Live".

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

I quoted the right part of the post.
I forgot to add your quote right before my 2nd paragraph.

EDIT:
I think my post looks right now.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »
I think the X360 -- especially since so many users adopted Xbox Live -- have pretty much adopted the PC philosophy of "Release the game now, patch the game later."
But, really -- if you don't have XBox Live, how the hell you gonna do Online Co-Op mode even if it does comes in the game box? :P

Though, I'm sure it'd be nice to have this feature right in the gamebox, in case you decide to join XBox Live so you don't have to patch yourself up to the newest update.
The patching system is supposed to be "just in case" as "in case shit happens here's a fix!" It's not supposed to be an excuse to release half-baked games.

I hope there will be a way to download such files (patches, add-ons, etc.) via PC and transfer to the console (whether it be X360 or PS3).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »
The patching system is supposed to be "just in case" as "in case shit happens here's a fix!" It's not supposed to be an excuse to release half-baked games.
Agreed.

I think patching is a good idea in case a company wants to add brand-new extra content to the game or improve their basically already finished game -- a la Witcher: EE.

I hope there will be a way to download such files (patches, add-ons, etc.) via PC and transfer to the console (whether it be X360 or PS3).
That would be a great idea -- for those who got PC's and Net access; which is many of people in the world.

But, then there's a possible piracy issue if say DLC's you-can-buy just don't have some sort of DRM around then or some sort of "activation." If say Joe Gamers downloads a DLC he buys; makes a copy for his friend; then someone puts a torrent of it up without DRM; etc etc. B/c your idea's so good,  Xessive -- as far as I'm concerned, DLC-piracy is just something the huge companies (like say EA and Microsoft) would just have to deal with. :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2008, 03:31:25 PM »
Molyneux has been interviewed and he has basically will not confirmed and also will not deny if there will be a Fable 2 PC just yet.

Molyneux: No announcement on Fable 2 PC 'just yet'
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 01/10/2008 - 2:38pm GMT
Molyneux gets into an enormous amount of trouble over these things.

Lionhead boss and Fable II creator Peter Molyneux has refused to confirm whether a PC version of the hotly anticipated Xbox 360 exclusive RPG will be coming out.

In an giant interview with VideoGamer.com, the second part of which is due to be published later this week, Molyneux said there was no announcement "either positive or negative" on a PC version "just yet".

He said: "If you recall we didn't release a PC version of Fable immediately. I don't think we even announced it immediately. There's no announcement either positive or negative on a PC version just yet."

When asked if it might be the case that a PC version will turn up later, Molyneux replied: "You see you said all the maybes and mights there, I'll leave that with you! But these are the sorts of things as you can imagine I get into an enormous amount of trouble for. I have to be very careful!"

Feel free to speculate as to what that means readers! You can check out the first part of our Peter Molyneux interview right here. Fable II is due out exclusively for Xbox 360 on October 24.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #89 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
hahahaha did you guys hear? They took a lot of the cool stuff out of the Fable 2 CE at the last minute and then chopped off the price by $10...

The funny thing is that this is just Molyeneux's games. :)

I just find it hilarious.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #90 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 06:59:54 AM »
hahahaha did you guys hear? They took a lot of the cool stuff out of the Fable 2 CE at the last minute and then chopped off the price by $10...

They removed the 5 fate cards and the hobbe figurine.  The only real loss is the figurine.  I'm actually pretty happy about this, because I was really debating whether or not I was willing to pay 80 bucks for all this.  The exclusions and the price drop make it a much easier decision.  It is much easier to justify 10 bucks for extra content you'd pay for anyway on live.  I also have the added benefit of not having stuff laying around collecting dust.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »

Yeah, I read about it yesterday.

I also find it hilarious b/c it's another plan of Molyneux's that has been basically Fable'd -- AKA original plans cut from the final version.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #92 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
Yeah, I read about it yesterday.

I also find it hilarious b/c it's another plan of Molyneux's that has been basically Fable'd -- AKA original plans cut from the final version.

None of this is Molyneux's fault though.  This is specifically a supply issue.  Plus, they're kinda making up for it by offering a free soundtrack download on October 6

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Thursday, October 02, 2008, 03:06:08 PM »
Plus, they're kinda making up for it by offering a free soundtrack download on October 6

That's cool. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 04:00:28 AM »
None of this is Molyneux's fault though.  This is specifically a supply issue.  Plus, they're kinda making up for it by offering a free soundtrack download on October 6

Yup, of course. I hope D didn't actually think this was Molyneux's fault.

Apparently the soundtrack isn't going to be part of the package either:

We have recently contacted you regarding a marketwide problem with the Fable II Collectors Edition. We have since been informed by Microsoft that there has been a further complication.

They have advised us that the developer diary and soundtrack are no longer going to be available on the bonus DVD.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 05:22:46 AM »
Damn, that CE just keeps getting chopped down.
Microsoft is still going to have the soundtrack DL though, right?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 06:35:10 AM »
I'm beginning to suspect that games are going to turn into digital distribution only and "Collector's Edition" will mean you get a physical disc.. in an envelope.. with no manual.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 07:14:05 AM »
I'm beginning to suspect that games are going to turn into digital distribution only and "Collector's Edition" will mean you get a physical disc.. in an envelope.. with no manual.
I think digital distribution will be the way many publishers will go, in due time.

Problem w/ that, though -- some of these games, especially these huge ones, will take FOREVER to download. Honestly, I don't want to do 15-plus GB downloads.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 09:35:24 AM »

Nah, it won't be so drastic as long as there are people willing to pay the $$$.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »
I hope it doesn't swing that way either. I don't mean to dig up the past but remember the discussion we had about how digitally distributed games are the same price as packaged ones? How long is it before they decide to drop the packaging and shipping costs, continue to sell digitally distributed games at the same prices, and royally screw anti-credit card people like me?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, October 04, 2008, 07:21:35 PM »
Looks like the extra cuts thing is false.

http://community.lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2008/10/04/3095234.aspx

here is an email from GAME doing the rounds on the internet, claiming that the LCE has been further reduced. This information is incorrect; there are no further cuts in the Limited Collectors Edition.

The Developer Diaries and Soundtrack were never going to be a part of the bonus DVD, these can be downloaded for free. The diaries from Xbox LIVE marketplace (or here)  and the soundtrack from http://www.sumthingdigital.com, and enter “FableCollection” promotion code.  This will be available beginning October 6, 2008 @ 9am PST. (I am sure there are future plans for additional tracks)

You will get the game in the LCE that's for sure, the issue with the Hobbe, cigar box packaging and Fate Cards is beyond everyone's control. I don't have any other details on that.

The videos that are on there are brand new and never-seen-before. The Making of Fable II is based on footage that was filmed over two years, it's unlike most Making of features and a little bit of the footage you will have seen in the video diaries.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 03:05:54 AM »
Good to hear K-Man.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, October 05, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »
Between this, LittleBigPlanet, King of Fighters:  The Orochi Saga, and Castlevania:  Order of Ecclesia, it's going to be a wallet draining October 21st.

And then Gears and Resistance 2 come November 4.  Sigh.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Monday, October 06, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
Free mini soundtrack released by Lionhead -- see this post

Fable Collection Mini-Soundtrack
Go to this website here.
On the right hand side, it says "Fable Collection." Click on that.
Boom, you're DLing for free a ZIP file for six tracks Lionhead is offering up from Fable 1 and 2

Fable Collection Mini-Soundtrack
(Fable 1 and 2)

1. Fable II Theme
- Fable 2 Soundtrack

2. Oakvale
- Fable 1 Soundtrack

3. Witchwood
- Fable 1 Soundtrack

4. Wraithmarsh
- Fable 2 Soundtrack    

5. Summer Fields
- Fable 1 Soundtrack

6. Westcliff
- Fable 2 Soundtrack

Composers:
Danny Elfman and Russell Shaw
« Last Edit: Monday, October 06, 2008, 05:26:59 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Fable 1 and 2 Mini-Soundtrack released FOR EVERYONE!
« Reply #104 on: Monday, October 06, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
Adblock was blocking that image and link.  Got it now that I figured it out.  Thanks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Fable 1 and 2 Mini-Soundtrack released FOR EVERYONE!
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, October 07, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
Looks like there might be some Fable 2 DLC planned, in the future

Molyneux: We'd be pretty dumb not to plan Fable 2 DLC
By Wesley Yin-Poole - 07/10/2008 - 2:08pm GMT

Wants it to be 'more tangible than new weapons and armour'. Doesn't want you to wait 'months and months'.

Downloadable content for upcoming Xbox 360 exclusive RPG Fable II looks likely following comments from Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux that the developer would be "pretty dumb" not to plan it.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com in a giant wide-ranging interview, the third part of which is due to be published later this week, the outspoken Molyneux stopped short of outright confirming DLC for the hotly anticipated Fable II, but did let slip some details on what it might include, as well as when it might be available.

He said: "Without any official announcements, I would say that we'd be pretty dumb not to plan it. What I would say, if we're going to do DLC then I definitely don't want it to be just a whole load of new weapons and armour. I just don't want it to be that. It needs to be something a bit more tangible and it would be nice if you didn't have to wait months and months for it as well."

We'll have more from Molyneux throughout the week, as well as the final part of our interview with the PC gaming legend, where he answers VideoGamer.com readers' Fable II questions!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Fable 2 - Update: DLC could be coming; Fable 1/2 Mini-Soundtrack released
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 07:45:11 AM »
All copies that reviewers have received for Fable 2 have a nice long letter that is from Peter Molyneux.

Molyneux asks for special review consideration; we ask 'what would other industries do?'

69 Comments by Alexander Sliwinski Oct 7th 2008 5:30PM
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360, Action

Reviewers received Fable 2 this week and found within the package a letter from developer Peter Molyneux asking for a few things. Variety explains one of the first things the letter asks (using the word "please" five times) is that the reviewers let a person who doesn't play games try out Fable 2 and to gauge their experience. Two paragraphs are also devoted by the designer to the game's well publicized and initially missing online co-op.

Molyneux apparently details the online co-op feature in the letter, which will be added soon after launch. Variety ponders if publications should wait until the feature comes out before reviewers write their pieces, or if outlets should make a note saying this important feature couldn't be tested at the time? So, we asked Variety (well known for its movie and music reviews): what would one of its film or music critics do if they were asked to review an unfinished product? Find out the answer after the break.

Variety's video game reporter, Ben Fritz, explained to Joystiq:

"I talked to one of our film critics and he said we usually do review the earliest available print, even if it's not the final version. If they're showing it at a festival to the public, for instance, we often review it. Even with the understanding that it may be re-cut or altered if/when it is released commercially. When that commercial release occurs we usually don't write a new review, unless it has been hugely changed. Sometimes we actually talk about the fact that it may be changed before commercial release. Check out our review of "Che" from the Cannes film festival, where the first sentence of the review starts "No doubt it will be back to the drawing board..."

The basic rule is: If they are showing it to the public in any way shape or form, we feel justified in reviewing it. The only time we wouldn't is if they are explicitly showing a "work in progress," like a test screening or a series of clips shown to exhibitors or something like that. That would be like running a review based on an E3 demo. Another relevant analogy I thought of is that we do review Broadway-bound shows when they are doing a "tryout" in another city. However, in that case, we usually review it again once it opens on Broadway.

So, the short answer is, if Fable II were a movie or play, we would absolutely review it the day it opened, even in its "incomplete" form. Which is why I have decided I will do the same with this game. Luckily in the age of blogs, however, I can update my thoughts when online co-op becomes available."

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Fable 2 - Update: Letter from Peter Molyneux come with reviewers' Fable 2 copies
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 08:41:23 AM »
Is it just me or is Molyneux getting more and more scared towards the release of his new game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Letter from Peter Molyneux come with reviewers' Fable 2 copies
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »
He's probably terribly gun-shy of the media.  Especially since they focused so much on what wasn't present rather than what was actually in Fable.  Granted, that was partly Molyneux's fault.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
Is it just me or is Molyneux getting more and more scared towards the release of his new game.
I really don't know why he sent that letter. I mean, if it's not in the box, a reviewer really can't review it.

If anything, the value/replay value/lasting appeals scores might go down b/c there's not enough SP content to make the reviewer happy enough. If it's a good SP game and people can get some replay out of the game, who's really gonna complain?

Oh, right....The X-Box Live gamers will complain. But, still, they'll be getting the patch with the Co-Op Mode, anyways...and it looks like pretty quickly, too -- even better. Of course, one could also argue that Lionhead and Microsoft could've waited a month or so and shipped the game w/ that mode included in the box -- but probably, around that time, too many other games will be jumping on the shelves.

I mean, the real big releases that I see for this month of October are basically Fallout 3, Dead Space, and Fable 2. (Did I miss anything?) November's got a lot planned already lined-up; Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Gears of War 2 for the X360 only, console versions of Mirror's Edge, and GTA4 PC; that's just to name a few here that Fable 2 would be fighting with.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »
I really don't know why he sent that letter. I mean, if it's not in the box, a reviewer really can't review it.

If anything, the value/replay value/lasting appeals scores might go down b/c there's not enough SP content to make the reviewer happy enough. If it's a good SP game and people can get some replay out of the game, who's really gonna complain?

Oh, right....The X-Box Live gamers will complain. But, still, they'll be getting the patch with the Co-Op Mode, anyways...and it looks like pretty quickly, too -- even better. Of course, one could also argue that Lionhead and Microsoft could've waited a month or so and shipped the game w/ that mode included in the box -- but probably, around that time, too many other games will be jumping on the shelves.

I mean, the real big releases that I see for this month of October are basically Fallout 3, Dead Space, and Fable 2. (Did I miss anything?) November's got a lot planned already lined-up; Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Gears of War 2 for the X360 only, console versions of Mirror's Edge, and GTA4 PC; that's just to name a few here that Fable 2 would be fighting with.

I think I remember Molyneux saying it would take over 100 hours to complete everything there was to offer in the game.  As far as other big hitters in November, LittleBigPlanet hits on the same day.  As far as competing with other games go, it's the 4th quarter.  A quality game will sell and a sub par game will not.  There's plenty of dollars to go around.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, October 08, 2008, 11:09:52 AM »
As far as competing with other games go, it's the 4th quarter.  A quality game will sell and a sub par game will not.  There's plenty of dollars to go around.
I wish it was that way. But, not always, in this world.

Scarface Game (released in Oct. 2006) sold very well (over 2.5 million copies), yet it wasn't that great.

Planescape: Torment (released in Dec. 1999) was a masterpiece, yet didn't sell so good.
Beyond Good and Evil (released in Nov. 2003) was very good, yet didn't sell so hot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 01:02:15 PM »
Co-Op Mode Patch for Fable 2 is DONE officially now.
Expect it released on XB Live on Day 1 of Fable 2's release, for all you XB Live gamers.
As long as it meets certification, of course.

Looks like Day One Patch
Published Thursday, October 09, 2008 12:48 PM by Sam

Remember a couple of days ago (or was it a week) where on a blog it was mentioned that Fable II would be shipping 'without' Online Co-op? And remember we said we were busting our balls to get it ready in time for a 'Day One' release? Well - G o o d [Good] news folks! It looks like we've done it...for all of you who are connected to Xbox Live, when starting up your copy of Fable II (on 21st October in USA, 24th October in Europe and 18th December in Japan). So all of you getting upset and all, you wouldn't even have noticed... Sort of. Well done to the team.

Taken into account we don't fail certification!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Fable 2 - Update: Co-Op Mode Patch due out Day 1 on XB Live
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »
That is so asanine. SO they couldn't have waited a few days after Fable 2 officially went gold?? I thought it was so problematic that they needed the extra time to get the patch done, like a month down the road, but they released the game in an incomplete state over a few days?! If the online co-op was missing from the review copy they had sent out that's understandable but this is pretty stupid.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, October 09, 2008, 07:49:43 PM »
That is so asanine. SO they couldn't have waited a few days after Fable 2 officially went gold??
I guess not.
Microsoft wanted to get it out in October. :P
Get it out before every other crazy game drops next month. :P

I thought it was so problematic that they needed the extra time to get the patch done, like a month down the road, but they released the game in an incomplete state over a few days?! If the online co-op was missing from the review copy they had sent out that's understandable but this is pretty stupid.
I wonder how bogged down XB Live servers will be, Day 1 of Fable's release b/c everyone will be going after that CoOp Mode Patch.

You know, what they should do is produce no more copies of the current version of Fable 2; sell no more. Re-Release a Fable 2: The Lost CoOp Chapters Edition which comes with the damn CoOp Mode on disc, beginning next month.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #116 on: Friday, October 17, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »
Here's some excerpts from XBox Magazine on X360 version of Fable 2, who gave it a 9.5 (out of 10).

The very first review of Lionhead Studios' Fable II is an exclusive for The Official Xbox Magazine. They give it a 9.5/10 and praise it up and down. Here are some quotes from the review:

It's said that dogs take on the personality traits of their owners. So it's only fitting that Fable II - a role-playing opus that features a canine as your primary ally - mimics the charming nature of its creator, Lionhead's Peter Molyneux. Affable and well-spoken, Molyneux's likeability transfers directly into Fable II, arguably the finest game in his distinguished career and one that fulfills all of the surface-scratching potential that the original Xbox game showed. In many ways, it exceeds that first game, catapulting Fable II into the upper echelon of both the 360's impressive RPG arsenal and its entire library.
    (...)
    Right out of the gate, the townsfolk are quick to exhibit examples of Fable II's stellar script and voice acting; their dialogue is equally funny in both its writing and its delivery. Each nails the cheeky British quirkiness to a "T" without being over-the-top, Monthy Python-style hammer. Better still, you're made to feel like a part of Fable II's sprawling, lively world by the way your fellow citizens comment on your appearance.
    (...)
    Forget the first Fable's fenced-in roads and tiny towns. The opening section in Bowerstone hints at a larger, grander scope for the sequel's version of Albion, and the moment you're set loose as an adult at Bower Lake, you're presented with a magnificent view of a valley that looks like it could contain all of the original game. It is, in fact, an overwhelming sensory event not unlike your first steps above ground in Oblivion or Fallout 3. The sense of scale and wonder never ceases. Towns bustle with vocal citizens who have daily routines; dynamic weather and day/night cycles give the world a pulse. And those pesky fences that leashed you to a path in the first Fable? Now you can easily hope over them.
    (...)
    Though it's great fun to bash or kick enemies off ledges to their doom, combat is the only overall area where the game notably stumbles. Often, you'll target a foe other than the one you intend, and finishing off downed foes seems to be random even if you're locked onto them. While not frustrating, it is annoying. The rhythm-based button presses do their job just fine, however, allowing to you to heroically chain attacks together. Fortunately, not all of the gameplay is combat. Many of the quests involve interacting with people, and those are in face some of the most memorable.
    (...)
    Fable II really is everything Molyneux promised the first time around. It's funny, deep, emotional epic, and, yes, wildly charming. We're already eager for a second playthrough, and we're betting a lot of you will have exactly the same reaction.

+ Living, breathing, charming world in which you and your actions matter.
    + Impeccable presentation.
    + The dog's implementation is genius.
    ? Why aren't there any other pooches in Albion?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #117 on: Friday, October 17, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
I hope the rest of world of Fable fucking ages with the main character!

The first Fable almost felt creepy because of that. The middle-aged people I had known as a child were the exact same age when I was a frail old man.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 05:39:54 AM »
I hope the rest of world of Fable fucking ages with the main character!

The first Fable almost felt creepy because of that. The middle-aged people I had known as a child were the exact same age when I was a frail old man.
That was annoying. What was more annoying was that my character seemed to suffer from a rapid aging condition worse than Old Snake. 1 hour equaled 1 year of my character's age!! All my wives were still young flowers while I was a decrepit piece of battle-scarred flesh, rotting away, and mysteriously getting whiter.

Oh and I hope I can at least choose my skin tone in Fable 2! At first it was cool that my character's complexion rivaled Casper but then it became more of a cause for health concern. Why won't he tan no matter how much time he spends in the brightly sun-lit patches of Albion?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 06:04:20 AM »
That was annoying.
Yeah, rest of the world not aging was very odd. What are they? Vampires or found the Fountain of Youth or something? :P

Regardless, it was cool to actually see your character age.

What was more annoying was that my character seemed to suffer from a rapid aging condition worse than Old Snake. 1 hour equaled 1 year of my character's age!!
LOL.

Lots of magic usage aged your character quickly following the main quest(s).

All my wives were still young flowers while I was a decrepit piece of battle-scarred flesh, rotting away, and mysteriously getting whiter.
My dude was as old as he could get, finishing off the final boss in the extra TLC portion of the game. Even though at the game's max -- was it 65 or so? -- my career in Fable felt complete after finishing it, which was a nice touch, being such an old bastard of a hero with this huge white beard.

Oh and I hope I can at least choose my skin tone in Fable 2! At first it was cool that my character's complexion rivaled Casper but then it became more of a cause for health concern. Why won't he tan no matter how much time he spends in the brightly sun-lit patches of Albion?
LOL!