Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 44230 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Left 4 Dead THREAD
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
Most games, once I finish them, they'd be lucky to be remain on my HD.

Yeah right! You still have stuff installed since 1999! :P

I'm still looking for L4D here but all the stores don't have it since they're trying to sell off the X360 version.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 02:03:06 PM »
Just get the downloadable version. Since you're really only licensing Steam games in the first place and are entirely beholden to the program whether you have a hard copy or not, I don't see as it makes a whole lot of difference.  Unless you like having boxes, like I do, heh.

I got the game working again.  Required a full reinstallation of everything, but it's up and going.  I'll be reactivating the server in about 5 minutes (had to take it down because uninstallation required removal of server tools as well).

EDIT - It's up!  Survive away.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 03:33:40 PM »
I generally prefer to have the box. L4D may be the one exception. It costs $50 to buy it on Steam and Valve have a special offer of 4-pack for $150 (like a buy 3 get one free). If I can find 3 people interested here I might just do that and gift the extra copies.

There are a few things I like about Steam and about a million others I fackin' hate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Yeah right! You still have stuff installed since 1999! :P
Which I didn't finish! :P

I generally prefer to have the box. L4D may be the one exception.
Dude, there's barely anything in the L4D box. Game disc and a hot-key cardboard piece of info. THAT'S IT. Valve does this with all their very own games that are also on Steam (HL Games and Orange Box), though.

You have a DVD-burner and some blank DVD's, right? You could always use Steam's built-in tool to back-up the game on disc. You could not use that built-in Steam DVD back-up program and just back-up with Nero or Roxio the following: the L4D folder, Source Engine files, and L4D GCF files yourself to disc -- if you want a back-up copy and all. I've never tried the Steam built-in back-up utility; I just do the latter kind of back-up.

It costs $50 to buy it on Steam and Valve have a special offer of 4-pack for $150 (like a buy 3 get one free).
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

There are a few things I like about Steam and about a million others I fackin' hate.
100% agreed on that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #244 on: Friday, January 23, 2009, 02:11:55 PM »
Just grabbed it and installed. Already it's telling my "Game is currently unavailable" and I figure that means it requires updating.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #245 on: Friday, January 23, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
No, it means Valve is a pile of shitheads and you can't play the game you just bought.  I couldn't play it for an entire day because of that.  Couldn't tell you what it actually meant.  It'll go back to normal at some point.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #246 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 06:02:40 AM »
No, it means Valve is a pile of shitheads and you can't play the game you just bought.  I couldn't play it for an entire day because of that.  Couldn't tell you what it actually meant.  It'll go back to normal at some point.
It took about an hour before it actually brought up the "game will load in ## minutes" then the game loads up fairly well.

The first feature I spotted and really blew me away was the group server option it shows on the main menu if the Overwritten server is up!!  So when you guys have a server up and running I should be able to jump right in!

Down to game notes: I've only played the first stage of the "No Mercy" chapter. Little as it was, it was still fun. SO far I'm enjoying it and I can't wait to get online with y'all!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
We're around.  We actually got gpw, myself, idol, and Pyro on a couple nights ago... was good fun.  If we get more people who want to go on all at once, I'll switch the server to versus and we can have some fun killing each other.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, January 24, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
We're around.  We actually got gpw, myself, idol, and Pyro on a couple nights ago... was good fun.  If we get more people who want to go on all at once, I'll switch the server to versus and we can have some fun killing each other.

Ooooh.....I so wanna be a zombie....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
Man, this game is addictive! It really is a blast!

Is it just me or do alot of girls seem to play L4D? It seems pretty common that I run into girls playing online these days! Especially in L4D! Which is awesome to say the least. As history dictates: whenever women deem something worthwhile it becomes socially acceptable, and perhaps the social norm.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
Really, X?
That is interesting...

Do the girls often play as...Zoey?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
Really, X?
That is interesting...

Do the girls often play as...Zoey?
It's kind of a mixed bag, but often enough when I create a lobby any chick who logs in will select either Zoey or Louis rather than leave it on random. I've also noticed that due to my geographic location I'm mostly playing with East Asians and they seem to love the game! hehe

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, February 01, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »
Just FYI, server is down while I work out some kinks in something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, February 01, 2009, 07:10:32 AM »
Just FYI, server is down while I work out some kinks in something.

Let us know when it's fixed.
I'm always lookin' to play L4D with people.
Especially with some of y'all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, February 01, 2009, 10:49:35 AM »
Server is back up as of Sunday morning, pacific time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #255 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »
Some info on the upcoming L4D Survival Pack, L4D "Critics' Choice re-released of the game (comes with L4D + Survival Pack) and the upcoming L4D SDK.

Valve is looking to expand its multiplayer-focused Left 4 Dead in 2009, sending word that survivors should look forward to a variety of bonuses throughout the year.

First up is the L4D Survival Pack, which is set for a spring release and promises to add a new game mode, "Survival," along with two more full campaigns for Versus mode.
Yes!!!!

If you've been holding off on purchasing the game (there's no good excuse, by the way), you'll be pleased to note the upcoming release of a "Critics' Choice" version of the game, which includes the aforementioned DLC.
Very cool for those who been holding off and want the DLC.

The next tidbit is only for the PC gamers: Valve says it's unleashing the Source SDK, for free, this spring. It will allow PC gamers to customize and create their own campaigns and ... did we mention it's free? We imagine those folks making that Resident Evil 3 campaign are especially excited about this.
Awesome!!!

Sadly, there isn't any info as to how much the L4D Survival Pack will cost, but we'll pass along word as soon as we can.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #256 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »
Since when have PC players/modders paid for SDKs? They're flaunting "did we mention it's free?" like it's something incredible.

I'm looking forward to the Survival pack.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #257 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »
Since when have PC players/modders paid for SDKs? They're flaunting "did we mention it's free?" like it's something incredible.
With all kinds of stuff else being monetized (i.e. small DLC content costing money even on the PC, which often was free, back in the day), I guess they felt like mentioning it...
*shrug*

I'm looking forward to the Survival pack.
Me too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #258 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
If the Survival Pack isn't free, I'm fucking done with this game forever.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #259 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 06:37:44 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Que. The only reason I paid full price for L4D was for the possibility of expansion with added campaigns, maps, community content etc. I'm not paying an extra dime to get something I am entitled to as a paying customer.

I know some of us gamers get an overactive sense of entitlement from time to time, but in the case of L4D the game's release state is sub par.. I'm not talking about technical quality, but content. Let's see, what does L4D offer: 4 areas, each with 5 maps, and 2 Versus maps.. that's it. And Valve's response to players' complaints was "more content will come soon!"

The same thing happened with Team Fortress 2, it initially only came out with 2 maps, 2 weeks later 2 more maps were included in the auto-update, then some more.

The Survival pack had better be free for current owners, oh I'm sorry, licence registrees of L4D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #261 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
That's such incredible bullshit.  They need to come out right now and say "Of *course* it's free!"  Nothing else will satisfy me.  Don't give us half a game and expect us to pay more to get the other half tiny chunks.  Fuck you, Valve.  Fuck you in the ass.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #262 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Que. The only reason I paid full price for L4D was for the possibility of expansion with added campaigns, maps, community content etc. I'm not paying an extra dime to get something I am entitled to as a paying customer.

I know some of us gamers get an overactive sense of entitlement from time to time, but in the case of L4D the game's release state is sub par.. I'm not talking about technical quality, but content. Let's see, what does L4D offer: 4 areas, each with 5 maps, and 2 Versus maps.. that's it. And Valve's response to players' complaints was "more content will come soon!"

The same thing happened with Team Fortress 2, it initially only came out with 2 maps, 2 weeks later 2 more maps were included in the auto-update, then some more.

The Survival pack had better be free for current owners, oh I'm sorry, licence registrees of L4D.

Was TF2 really that bare boned on release? I didn't think so, but thinking back to it I did buy Orange Box a few months late.  By that point it was a bit light on content, but considering the value of the overall package it was hard to complain.

This, on the other hand.....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #263 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
That's such incredible bullshit.  They need to come out right now and say "Of *course* it's free!"  Nothing else will satisfy me.  Don't give us half a game and expect us to pay more to get the other half tiny chunks.  Fuck you, Valve.  Fuck you in the ass.

Do you think that having this DLC come to the X360 where most DLC costs money there is what is causing them to think twice and possibly charge money for the PC version of DLC?

If Valve won't release this Survival Pack content for free on the PC, they really better have some other new maps and mode come to the PC for free...

If they decide to charge for this Survival Pack content, I'll make sure I buy it when it's cheap -- very cheap.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #264 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 08:39:53 PM »
It bet that Microsoft insists that DLC be charged for depending on how big it is. I read something not too long ago, I think about premium themes for the 360. The developer said that they had no choice but to charge for it, and MS won't let it be released for free.

Unfortunately, we had to charge the standard Premium Theme price of 250 Microsoft Points (which is about $3.10 in American money). We want to make it free, but Microsoft doesn’t like giving things out for free. But if you do buy it, you can be secure in the knowledge that you own one of the few Premium Themes that is not an advertisement — there is no text in the Braid theme anywhere. (Seriously, Microsoft, what is with the Subway: Eat Fresh Theme?)

http://braid-game.com/news/
about halfway down the page

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #265 on: Thursday, February 05, 2009, 11:15:34 PM »
Well, it will be pay on 360 because MS makes the rules. Steam should be free. I mean...come on, $50 for the content in the game was a little steep. The only thing that made it ok was everyone "knew" more would be coming and it would be free.

I'm with Que. If valve charges PC gamers for the new content they can go fuck themselves.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #266 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 12:38:58 AM »
It bet that Microsoft insists that DLC be charged for depending on how big it is. I read something not too long ago, I think about premium themes for the 360. The developer said that they had no choice but to charge for it, and MS won't let it be released for free.

http://braid-game.com/news/
about halfway down the page

Never have paid for themes or gamerpics.  Will never happen either.  The Maw came with some of each, to unlock as you play through the game.  The theme is good.  I'm not sure how they got away with that.  I'm aware of the mercenary Microsoft policy on these items that should always be free, everywhere.  Maybe because they were part of the game in the first place.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #267 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
Well, there's a difference between regular themes and premium themes. I learned the difference the hard way. I bit the bullet and bought a theme, only to find out it wasn't premium, and that's why it was slightly cheaper. Regular themes are just backgrounds. A premium theme has background images, changes the sphere color at the bottom of the dashboard, and adds background stuff to the friends section. If you downloaded it, check out the Holiday one that was free in December (not sure if it's still up) and specifically check out the friends list. That theme is premium. I'm pretty sure all old themes from pre-NXE are applied to the dashboard like a non premium theme (just a background image).

EDIT: Not trying to say you don't know the difference, just... did the Maw come with a premium theme? :o

So yea, I bought a Dead Space theme only to find out all it did was give me a background image, which is 2/3 covered because of the sphere at the bottom, and the navigation panels. Then I bought a Gears of War 2 theme that I'm still using.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #268 on: Friday, February 06, 2009, 06:22:11 AM »
The microtransaction trend has really taken off, and I'm cool with it to a certain extent, it's when devs and publishers think every little effortless thing can now be billed as a microtransaction that I draw the line.

Frickin' Horse Armor.. That's where it all started. In the end Horse Armor, Knights of the Nine, and all the other official DLC were added with Shivering Isles for the GOTY pack anyway, which made for a much more valuable pack.

I think I'm just gonna start a habit of buying games only after they reach the gold or GOTY editions (or PS3 Platinum collection). It generally assures a dropped price, better tech condition (most patching already done if necessary), added value via custom content, or it might be packaged with an expansion. It's starting to make a lot more sense for me to just do that from now on.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #269 on: Saturday, February 07, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
The microtransaction trend has really taken off, and I'm cool with it to a certain extent, it's when devs and publishers think every little effortless thing can now be billed as a microtransaction that I draw the line.

Frickin' Horse Armor.. That's where it all started. In the end Horse Armor, Knights of the Nine, and all the other official DLC were added with Shivering Isles for the GOTY pack anyway, which made for a much more valuable pack.
If you missed the Oblivion + All DLC + KOTN + Shiv Isles, GOTY Pack was the way to go.
All of the DLC was on the Knights of The Nine (Expansion) pack disc -- well, except the final DLC (that came out after the fact).

The Final DLC got a free-release on BethSoft's website -- for a short time period.

I think I'm just gonna start a habit of buying games only after they reach the gold or GOTY editions (or PS3 Platinum collection). It generally assures a dropped price, better tech condition (most patching already done if necessary), added value via custom content, or it might be packaged with an expansion. It's starting to make a lot more sense for me to just do that from now on.
That's not a bad idea, since many games even on the console are doing the DLC thing -- especially if you don't have yourself connected to XBL or PSN.

For PC games, it depends on the game, for me. Some games, probably better to wait and likely look for a Gold Edition or Complete Box -- i.e. The Sims. Some games, buy as I go along -- i.e. Oblivion. Most PC games, they do have expansions and/or DLC -- and they often get re-released with more extra pieces in Expansions, Gold Editions, Critics' Choice Editions, Ultimate Editions, The Ultimate Box, etc etc.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #270 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
DLC infos

A new Survival mode will see "up to four player set records for the longest time surviving hordes of zombies on over 12 maps," according to word from GameTrailers TV. It was not specified if those maps will be all-new or culled from existing environments.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #271 on: Monday, February 09, 2009, 11:19:18 PM »
Bet on culled.  Though I don't know that it would even bother me that much.  That sounds fun as hell.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
Still, is there any word on pricing (or hopefully a lack thereof) pricing for this?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
Freakin' awesome news, Idol.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: Survival Pack DLC will be FREE for PC, X360 (thanks Idol!)
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 04:25:07 PM »
Thanks Idol. Good to hear we're getting what we expected.. and paid for!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Left 4 Dead - Update: Survival Pack DLC will be FREE for PC, X360 (thanks Idol!)
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 04:25:35 PM »
Amen, X!
Preach it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
I was going through the Shacknews comments and some people are going on about how Valve "giving us more than we paid for" and ut in "a lot of hardwork for free" and I'm thinking all this stuff has already been paid for. The full price of the game is like a retainer fee. We paid a full $50 for the better half of the game now with the promise of more content to come. Which has pretty much been the pattern since Counter-Strike: Source. That's another title that was originally released with a paultry map selection. Also HL2DM, but that's just free with HL2 anyway.

Had Valve gone for the microtransaction model then L4D (as it is now) would have cost a lot less and every bit of content they released later would cost small sums.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
Yeah, this is all paid for already. And really...this pack isn't that big a deal to begin with.

The two "new" campaigns for Versus should have been available for Versus from the start.
Survivor mode is such an obvious mode and easy to implement its a wonder why it wasn't already there. Its basically a single map with the "infinite finale" cvar turned on. Not saying it wont be fun, but I'm pretty sure the community would have popped that out 2 minutes after the SDK release.

I mean, I appreciate getting updates and all that. Just don't give credit where it isn't really due.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
Actually we've already been doing that! With "sv_cheats 1" we started spawning infinite hordes to charge at us, tanks, smokers, everything haha!

I think the community is gonna pump out a lot of great content once the SDK is out. I'm already seeing some very promising map designs. If you get a chance look up Crossroads Mall on youtube, the mall from Dawn of the Dead. As inevitable as it is this guy seems to be doing a pretty good job of it so far. Plus it's in the day time!