Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 77284 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: PS3 Demo released on PSN
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »
I doubt it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
I doubt it.

Anybody got any vids comparing PS3 ME2 Demo vs. PC ME2 yet?
You know it's bound to come about...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #362 on: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 01:48:49 AM »
Well then...

http://kotaku.com/5716629/how-does-mass-effect-2-on-ps3-look

Contrary to Bioware's claims... it doesn't look any better.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, January 10, 2011, 03:53:59 PM by MysterD »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: ME2 PC = $9.99 + Free Standard Shipping on Amazon
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
PSN will be getting this game for digital download.  Retail version coming the same day on Jan 18.  I wonder how big the game is to be available for digital download.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
PSN will be getting this game for digital download.  Retail version coming the same day on Jan 18.  I wonder how big the game is to be available for digital download.
That's gotta be at least 12GB. The PC version installation was approximately 15GB with all the DLC.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #366 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
So, I bought MA2 today on just a whim. It was $20 at Best Buy. I really didn't like the first game that much, and I never finished it. No idea what I was thinking really. But it's a bad ass game. I'm really digging it. I made a Vanguard and it's a blast to play. Love freezing dudes and then charging them and watching them fly into walls and smashing into pieces. It's awesome.

I really need to study for this midterm though...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #367 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
From your taste in games, I knew you'd like it. Surprised you haven't gone on this sooner.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #368 on: Monday, February 21, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: Arrival DLC info
« Reply #369 on: Thursday, February 24, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
I love this freaking game so much. I can't get enough of it. I first played through with a Vanguard, and now I'm about through it again with an Adept. It's just such a cool game. The lore and the universe are just fantastic. And I can't get enough planet descriptions.

I want to go back and play the first one now. Give it another shot, you know?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #370 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 12:35:41 AM »
Meh. The first one is a very different game. I describe it as a twitch shooter trapped in an RPG's body.

With ME2 they gave up and just decided to make it a third person shooter. After ME1, ME2, and Alpha Protocol, I thought that making a shooter with such robust RPG mechanics was impossible. But then I got into Fallout 3, and it marries that unlikely couple so perfectly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #371 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
Meh. The first one is a very different game. I describe it as a twitch shooter trapped in an RPG's body.

With ME2 they gave up and just decided to make it a third person shooter. After ME1, ME2, and Alpha Protocol, I thought that making a shooter with such robust RPG mechanics was impossible. But then I got into Fallout 3, and it marries that unlikely couple so perfectly.

That's b/c BethSoft learned from Morrowind. People to the high heavens complained that their bows (if you were focusing on that skill) were doing often ZERO damage on early levels (basically before you hit Level 10) b/c of "hit and miss" dice-rolls - which is just stupid. At least do some damage! This problem was fixed basically in Oblivion.

"Hit and miss" dice-rolls are USELESS in a RPG/FPS hybrid or FPS/RPG hybrid. That's basically how FO3 and New Vegas got this right.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #372 on: Friday, February 25, 2011, 02:50:47 PM »

I like the first much more than the second.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #373 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/mass-effect-2s-arrival-dlc-dated-priced-and-detailed/2992/

Arrival, dated and priced!

I didn't think it would be so soon. I'm totally in love with the whole ME universe at this point. It's just so realized and awesome. I've played through ME2 twice, and I bought the first game for Xbox 360 Thursday and I'm playing through that right now. I want to beat it, and transfer my character to ME2 and play through it again. Just so I can get a better grasp of the story. So far, I really do prefer 2 over 1, but I'm like it a little better on console than I did my PC. I only played my PC version maybe 1/3 of the way through and stopped playing.

Gonna try to do it before the 29th. GF is in Santa Babara, it's spring break. I'm just going to work and play these games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #374 on: Saturday, March 19, 2011, 08:23:24 PM »
Since Arrival DLC is supposed to be the last ME2 DLC, I'd really love to see Bioware and EA sell all the DLC in one package in a box or in a digital download package altogether.

EDIT:
Thanks for the info and link on Arrival DLC, Scary - added it to the front page. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: 1Up Article On The Final Boss in ME2
« Reply #378 on: Monday, March 05, 2012, 06:55:45 PM »
I agree with pretty much all of that: The fight sucked compared to Saren.  Yet, it ultimately didn't matter because the last mission was so epic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #379 on: Monday, March 05, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
I agree with pretty much all of that: The fight sucked compared to Saren.  Yet, it ultimately didn't matter because the last mission was so epic.
Agreed...to an extent.
I could imagine how much more we'd be really saying about ME2, if ME2's final boss fight was as epic as Saren's ME1 boss battle.

It's really going to be interesting, to see how ME3's final level and boss fight turn out...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #380 on: Monday, March 05, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Agreed...to an extent.
I could imagine how much more we'd be really saying about ME2, if ME2's final boss fight was as epic as Saren's ME1 boss battle.

It's really going to be interesting, to see how ME3's final level and boss fight turn out...

I'm betting the ME3 final battle will have something to do with The Illusive Man.. An indoctrinated Illusive Man? OoooooOooo!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
I'm betting the ME3 final battle will have something to do with The Illusive Man.. An indoctrinated Illusive Man? OoooooOooo!
You weren't too far off!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #382 on: Thursday, January 31, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »
You weren't too far off!
Hahaha man, I love reading old stuff we posted and gauge it against the current reality!

Just remembering what our expectations of ME3 were back then I'm satisfied with how ME3 turned out, despite the "ending" fiasco.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #383 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
MASS EFFECT 2 = 02-09-2021:
Mass Effect 2 (base-game), which I played numerous years ago, is one of those great sci-fi shooter/RPG hybrids. This game spun the world & galaxy on its head. ME2 did this by basically flipping the script on RPG/shooter hybrids of that sort at that time, turning the combat (of the original ME1) from a RPG-first/shooter-second to the reverse in the sequel (ME2) with a shooter-first/RPG-second approach, replying more on the actual combat & shooting than the RPG stats of such for when the player ran into combat.

The gamble & risk here paid off immensely, improving the game's combat in its feel in just so many ways. Pretty much, many RPG/shooter hybrids afterwards began following in the footsteps of ME2 with its reverse approach. Combat just look & felt better, first off, feeling more in line with games that were straight-up cover shooters, like that of say Gears of War titles. If this wasn't enough, combine all of that with the usual hallmarks of BioWare games with a great story; great characters, world, setting, dialogue, writing & prose; RPG-style decision-making; a moral system; and whatnot - this all made & added-up, making this an absolutely unforgettable experience.

MASS EFFECT 2: DLC BUNDLE PACK = 02-09-2021.
After numerous years of waiting, some few years back, BioWare & EA finally put together the game's normally expensive Premium DLC's into one DLC big pack. I bought them a few years ago (and also bought the DLC Packs for ME3 and DA2) and with being so jazzed with the upcoming Mass Effect: Legendary Edition collection, I've finally decided to tackle the DLC's.

LAIR OF THE SHADOW BROKER DLC = 02-06-2021:
Despite its brevity of 3 hours or so, it's an awesome DLC. With a new race mission; awesome & fun combat; action-packed; well-designed; doesn't waste much or any of the player's time; plays fan service to fans of the original Mass Effect 1 game; a really interesting story with a few twists & turns; and this story really sets up an important character for ME3 - it's hard to not love this DLC. This DLC fires on all cylinders and is an absolute blast.

KASUMI: STOLEN MEMORY DLC = 02-07-2021:
Taking approximately a little over 2 hours, the Kasumi DLC is in the books. Also, despite its brevity, this is another really well done & put together mission for the excellent ME2. Adding a new mission with some investigation elements; a cool high-end party to visit; a new cool & awesome new companion in Kasumi (who can join your party); a really good boss fight; and more awesome action - Kasumi is just another awesome winner in the Mass Effect 2: DLC Bundle Pack.

ARRIVAL DLC = 02-09-2021:
Taking up almost about 2 hours here, the Arrival DLC comes to its epic conclusion. It's a really good DLC overall, even despite its brevity here. This DLC is really important in setting up some really important events that shape the events going right into Mass Effect 3. It doesn't offer-up a new companion to keep like Kasumi DLC did and doesn't offer up say a new race-like section like Shadow Broker DLC did - but It's well done to say the least and another Mass Effect 2 mission. Though, It's importance to ME3 cannot be understated here. It's a really good DLC gameplay-wise and the mission's a blast, but it's essential and crucial, making this DLC a must play b/c of how it ties directly right into Mass Effect 3.

OVERLORD DLC = 02-13-2021:
At around 3 minutes shy of 2 hours, another DLC winds up in the books as finished. This time, it's the Overlord DLC. In this DLC, a scientist lets you know that an AI has taken over the area; killing off people; and taking over the Geth & communicating with them. Your objective: get to the AI and decide what to do with the AI. In this action-packed DLC, you'll be fighting enemies in big open-spaced arena for shootouts; driving a ship w/ guns on it to battle enemies & cannons to get to areas; and a really good final boss battle.

This DLC doesn't offer up any new companions (side note: Kasumi DLC did add a new companion) nor does it add new interesting sequences (side note: Shadow Broker DLC added that race type of section). Still, everything is well-executed here: the story & character stuff's good in its short time-frame; and the combat's really good.

While this doesn't feel entirely essential to the ME Trilogy here - unlike both the Arrival and Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC's, which do feel essential & tie into important events in ME3 - this DLC's still really good, even despite it brevity. Overlord DLC is another really good, yet short DLC for Mass Effect 2.

CONCLUSION = 02-13-2021:
After playing this ME2: DLC Bundle Pack for around a total of around 9-10 hours or so, the DLC Pack is complete. Arrival & Lair of the Shadow Broker both are essential & important for some of the events, character-related stuff, and whatnot for ME3. The Kasumi DLC is just flat-out awesome & great, also offering up a new companion to take with you throughout ME3. Overlord DLC is a really good side-quest on its own and is certainly worth playing for its own story & action.

Given that all of the DLC's range from really good to great here - and also with some of these DLC's feeling essential to some stuff for ME3 - this makes it pretty easy to recommend the Mass Effect 2: DLC Bundle Pack for another 9-10 hours for basically more Mass Effect 2 - in which you'll get more game-time, missions, story, and sci-fi action of the fantastic Mass Effect 2. This DLC Bundle Pack here is all killer and no filler, just like Mass Effect 2 base-game.

Mass Effect 2 was (and still is) an amazing & fantastic game. Certainly more of that greatness added to ME2 from this ME2: DLC Bundle Pack is certainly more than welcome here, as what's here overall in this package is nothing but quality. This ME2: DLC Bundle Pack is great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #384 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 10:49:53 AM »
I really do want to get back to these. Still haven't finished ME1, and I have 2 somewhere. Thinking about getting that remastered collection eventually and giving it another go.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
That's the way to do it.  This series was absolutely great TBH