Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 77271 times)

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
Re: Mass Effect 2 - Update: 9.6 from IGN for PC and X360 (Reply 79)
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 09:31:47 AM »
The inventory and skill systems have been made more manageable, streamlined to the point that they might initially appear too thin for a role-playing game. Keep playing, however, and you'll begin to see strength and depth emerge as you further customize your squad.

Ok that's good to hear.  That's really my only gripe

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »
So apparently there's a disc swap on the Xbox version and people are confused and complaining about it. Really? Back in my day that was practically a selling point.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 12:33:56 PM »
Really? People are confused/complaining already?

It happens once in the game, and halfway at that. The game isn't even out yet, so it is incredible that people are bitchin' already. I guess they are on crazy pills.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
Gaming is on crazy pills right now.

It's a little more complicated than a switch halfway through though. I guess the beginning and end are on one disc, while the second disc contains the middle portions of the game. This was done (supposedly) since the middle is more open and if you switched in there you would either have to switch often depending on where you are or there would be too much repeated data on the disc. So, two disc, two switches.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
Oh noes, swapping a disc twice.. we're all fucking doomed.

... when do we get to come to our senses and find these people and kill them by pitting them against one another in gladiatorial combat?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »
So apparently there's a disc swap on the Xbox version and people are confused and complaining about it. Really?
If they want no disc-swapping, why don't they just buy the PC version? ;)

I'm guessing the PC version just has the multiple install DVD discs and then you only need one of the discs to boot the game.

Back in my day that was practically a selling point.
Same here. Back then, it meant the game usually had MORE content than the average game (especially since everything was NOT voice-acted back then) - i.e. see Final Fantasy games and Chrono Cross on the PSX.

EDIT:
PCGamesHardware.com has a nice comparison of the graphics b/t Mass Effect 1 PC and ME2 PC.

« Last Edit: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 04:27:35 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
If they want no disc-swapping, why don't they just buy the PC version? ;)

I'm sure it'll also show up on Games on Demand eventually, so you can just download the whole thing to your Xbox. That's what I did with the first game (didn't pre-plan that though).

I'm keeping my preorder though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
I'm sure it'll also show up on Games on Demand eventually, so you can just download the whole thing to your Xbox. That's what I did with the first game (didn't pre-plan that though).

I'm keeping my preorder though.

Good point - it's likely it'll wind on up on Microsoft's GOD (Games on Demand), since other big hits like Fable 2 wound up there. Though, down-side - ME2 X360 might take a good while to download. GOD might be good idea - you know, if you could legally back-up the content to disc so you don't have to take forever to DL it again, if necessary - which is one thing I really like about PC Digital Distribution services such as D2D, Steam and Impulse.

Another thought - given how some stores like to break street dates, I wonder if GameStop or any retailers have broken the street date for ME2 already...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:43:47 PM »
Yea ME2 could be really big. My GoD version of ME1 is 6.8 gigs.

It's actually the only GoD game I have, which is 100% because of hard drive space. There's a few I've wanted to get, but bought the disc version or just passed, because I don't have the drive space. I've got a 60GB drive and it's currently got 14GB free. (3 disc based games installed to the HDD currently)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Yea ME2 could be really big. My GoD version of ME1 is 6.8 gigs.
I dunno if there's major difference in the audio, textures, and other files b/t PC and X360 - but ME2 PC is listed on Steam as wanting 15 GB of HD space open. They often usually tell you to have a bit more open than what it actually really takes up (in case of mods, add-ons, DLC, expansions, saves, etc etc)...

It's actually the only GoD game I have, which is 100% because of hard drive space. There's a few I've wanted to get, but bought the disc version or just passed, because I don't have the drive space. I've got a 60GB drive and it's currently got 14GB free. (3 disc based games installed to the HDD currently)
Is there a way you can say connect the X360 Hard-Drive to the PC and copy the Mass Effect 360 files to a DVD disc or two? And at a later date - you could say install the files back onto this 360's HD?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
Is there a way you can say connect the X360 Hard-Drive to the PC and copy the Mass Effect 360 files to a DVD disc or two? And at a later date - you could say install the files back onto this 360's HD?

I doubt it. A quick google search leads me to believe that if it's possible, it's not in a method supported by Microsoft.

I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of times you can download something though. I've never seen anything suggesting that there is. I guess I've never really thought about uninstalling GoD games to free up space. Instead I've focused on the fact that the HDD is so damn small, and larger one costs way more than it should. I'm sort of hoping MS will release the 250GB HDD that was in the MW2 bundle as a standalone accessory. The 120GB drive is like $150, and I can't see them releasing a 250GB drive for $250+ when the system itself is $200-300.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
I doubt it. A quick google search leads me to believe that if it's possible, it's not in a method supported by Microsoft.
Ick. It's something they should think about - even if they force your GOD copy to be tied to say your XBL account.

I'm not sure if there's a limit to the number of times you can download something though. I've never seen anything suggesting that there is.
Geez, I hope there isn't. It should be unlimited for your unique XBL account for as long M$ is in business.

And since we know XB360 won't be forever, it'd be nice if say that same game works on their next console via an emulator or gets re-released for a new console - you can still re-download that game.

I guess I've never really thought about uninstalling GoD games to free up space.
I think it's b/c I'm so used to PC gaming that I ask such things, since I'm always backing up games to DVD's; uninstalling games; installing other games; and re-installing games like crazy here.

Instead I've focused on the fact that the HDD is so damn small, and larger one costs way more than it should. I'm sort of hoping MS will release the 250GB HDD that was in the MW2 bundle as a standalone accessory. The 120GB drive is like $150, and I can't see them releasing a 250GB drive for $250+ when the system itself is $200-300.
If you do buy another X360 HDD - could you transfer stuff from your old HDD over to say another bigger HDD?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
I think it's b/c I'm so used to PC gaming that I ask such things, since I'm always backing up games to DVD's; uninstalling games; installing other games; and re-installing games like crazy here.

I never uninstall games on my PC unless I'm trying to clear out space to make room for something, or I just hate the game and uninstall it as a way to say, "fuck this, I'm not playing it again."

If you do buy another X360 HDD - could you transfer stuff from your old HDD over to say another bigger HDD?

Yea. The standalone drive addons used to come with a cable to connect the two and instructions, but I think they're not packed in anymore. You can still get them for free though, you just have to contact Microsoft to get them to send you one. Of course if you did get a new drive, you could just redownload everything. You'd need to transfer the data to move saved games though (which could be done with a memory card too).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
Yea. The standalone drive addons used to come with a cable to connect the two and instructions, but I think they're not packed in anymore. You can still get them for free though, you just have to contact Microsoft to get them to send you one. Of course if you did get a new drive, you could just redownload everything. You'd need to transfer the data to move saved games though (which could be done with a memory card too).
That's pretty sweet - that you can do the transfer and all! :)

I'm sure transferring from one HDD to another HDD would be easier than re-downloading things - especially if you got saved games you want to keep and all.

I wouldn't be surprised for saved games, if Microsoft one day will do what Steam's new Steam Cloud features does - allow you to have your saved games on their servers, so you can access them from anywhere.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:39:51 AM »
The cable is included with all the HDD upgrade packs.  That said, their 60GB and 120GB retail upgrades remain wholly inadequate for digital distribution of full retail titles.  While at this time there are only a handful released on the Xbox marketplace, once more are released those hard drives will still be insufficient.  I don't know about you, but I personally do not want to delete anything that I have purchased digitally.  You never know if it might become unavailable, or if you will no longer be able to download it or something.

This might be a slight deviation from the topic at hand, but the Xbox360's original design and specs are showing its age.  When people start worrying about disk space and start having to purchase addons and upgrades to their existing console, it's starting to show that the original design is inadequate for today's market.  My 20GB Pro model is completely outdated now.  I only have 9.7GB free, and that's basically not enough space for today's XBL implementation and regular use -- I assume that most XBLA games are getting bigger.  I think if I deleted _everything_ I'd have like 13-15 GB free, which is still not a lot.

Digital distribution has really taken off over the last 2 years.  DLC is now really commonplace, and they are getting bigger.  What we thought were simple arcade games that would be small are slowly becoming as impressive as full fledged retail titles.  Full retail titles are also being released for digital distribution too.

Add in proprietary design, and MS has totally fucked their consumer base.  I have absolutely no intentions of upgrading my HDD on the Xbox360 unless I don't have to pay for it.  Their 60GB and 120GB HDD upgrades are ridiculously overpriced.  MS tried the bandaid solution though -- I remember hearing about their free upgrade for people with arcade machines (no HDD) for a free 20GB HDD or something like that. 

Basically, it seems that MS didn't really plan things out too well and the consumer suffers greatly as they are forced to play catch up with the accessories (wireless adapter is now replaced with the wireless N adapter; HDD is inadequate and needs an upgrade).  People then have to fight the hardware problems, but become attached as they are too 'invested' into the Xbox360 platform.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:52:52 AM »
I think it's brilliant, personally.  I say this both with respect for what they've managed to pull off and with complete and utter loathing of their practices.  Release a broken system that doesn't work, then repeatedly sell it to people who are too stupid to get the fuck out while they still can and instead just keep investing in system after system, even when they get so far out that they have to pay out of their own pocket.  They feel they're already in too deep, to stop would mean they've already wasted the money they've invested.  Then get a stranglehold on your storage market and charge 5 to 12 times what the products are actually worth in any reasonable market... and sit back and watch people repeatedly pay for it.  You pay about a dollar per gig for a new 360 120GB HDD.  Going on Newegg, I'm seeing TB drives going for $90 to $140 right on the main HDD page, and there's a 2TB drive for $180.  I mean, what the fuck.  Then you also charge for people to use your online infrastructure, and are the only current company to do so... and they do.  And when anyone asks them why, they just turn around and call them fanboys.  Where's the negative?  You're one of the most popular systems in the US, you're not called on to be accountable for anything, and you've got people like my coworker that are on their sixth fucking box and are still giving you money because they just can't bring themselves to break the cycle.

Seriously, way to go, Microsoft.  There's a reason you're still on top.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
It's things like this that make me glad I'm a PC gamer.  I have some 360 games, but I don't consider myself unavoidably invested in the system.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »
It's things like this that make me glad I'm a PC gamer. 
Yeah, no doubt about that.

Really, though - Microsoft needs to stop screwing their X360 customers in more ways than I can shake a stick at. As if the RROD wasn't enuff to turn people off - all the other bullshit w/ digital downloads; DLC; HDD's; and so forth make me glad I didn't jump on the 360 bandwagon.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #98 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 09:06:55 AM »
The hard drive thing on the 360 is crazy.  20 GB was barely enough when it came out; it's wholly inadequate now.  But the prices of the upgrades are ridiculous and there's no way I'm buying in.  There is a way you can buy your own HDD and manually upgrade the drive, but it's complicated, you have to buy one of two specific models, and of course you void your warranty in the process.  Not something I'd want to mess with doing on a 360.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »
I've had my Xbox for just over a year now, and I've yet to have any demons spawn from it, and it has yet to rape my dog. I guess it's about individual experience though, and mine has been positive. Some people may not be so fortunate.

But yes, the HDD pricing on Xbox is insane.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Gaming is on crazy pills right now.

It's a little more complicated than a switch halfway through though. I guess the beginning and end are on one disc, while the second disc contains the middle portions of the game. This was done (supposedly) since the middle is more open and if you switched in there you would either have to switch often depending on where you are or there would be too much repeated data on the disc. So, two disc, two switches.

I remember reading very early on, when the disc swapping thing was announced, that it would be just one disc swap. I guess they just couldn't manage to pull that off.

But people need to stop complaining, because I am starting to get worried about the lengths to which Bioware will go to appease the masses.

With Bioware having already sacrificed the elevator dialog and bits of planetary exploration, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided that the next game would need to be much shorter and less awesome, just so that people wouldn't suffer through the inconvenience of swapping some discs. :P :P

That would make for a press release joke actually.

What PoomC says does bother me a little, about the the further streamlining of the inventory. Yes, I know the review says it gets better, but why even start an RPG that way?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
I remember reading very early on, when the disc swapping thing was announced, that it would be just one disc swap. I guess they just couldn't manage to pull that off.

But people need to stop complaining, because I am starting to get worried about the lengths to which Bioware will go to appease the masses.

With Bioware having already sacrificed the elevator dialog and bits of planetary exploration, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided that the next game would need to be much shorter and less awesome, just so that people wouldn't suffer through the inconvenience of swapping some discs. :P :P

Since this disc-swapping format is the case w/ 360 gamers who are stuck w/ regular DVD, I should be bitching that PC Gaming has NOT adopted the Blu-Ray format just so I don't have to do multiple DVD installs (for some of the really BIG games). :P But, guess what? It's NOT that big of a deal. When we start seeing swapping b/t THREE discs or more (especially DVD's), then I can start my bitching! :P

On another note - I still think Microsoft screwed itself in the format war by NOT making the 360 out the box support ONLY the HD-DVD format period; especially since the PS3 came Blu-Ray equipped.

EDIT:

Oh, I liked the elevator rides - b/c that often gave more insight to characters and sometimes the gameworld. Often, it was stuff you did NOT find in the Codex.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
On another note - I still think Microsoft screwed itself in the format war by NOT making the 360 out the box support ONLY the HD-DVD format period; especially since the PS3 came Blu-Ray equippeq

I think you are really missing the point here. Microsoft totally beat Sony in this generation's console wars, and are continuing to do so. Basically you are saying that MS should have done what Sony did, but then Sony are getting their butt handed to them, so how the hell did MS screw itself? The best part is that Sony won the format war, yet are still losing the console war.

MS won the console war because they didn't make an expensive optical format a standard part of their systems.

MS would have screwed themselves in the format war if they had made HD-DVD mandatory considering HD-DVD flopped.

If they had made HD-DVD a 360 standard, there is no guarantee that it would have boosted HD-DVD sales, in fact they could have hurt both HD-DVD and the Xbox 360.

a) Consumers want a reliable device to watch their movies on, not something that failed as frequently as the first iteration of the 360.

b) Cost would have definitely gone up from $399 to $499 or so, which would have hurt the 360's main advantage over the PS3: Price.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
Yes, a bigger hard drive is needed, and the prices are not budging on upgrades.  So, neither am I.  As long as MS doesn't make bigger drives accessible for realistic prices, I won't buy them, which means I will never buy full games for the 360 as downloadables.  I don't much like the idea anyway.  It's best to have the box and the data archive separate from the console.  The only example I've seen so far is a joke, with the full price of Fable 2 in DLC episodic fashion weighing in at $40, while the price of the full game in one shot, on its own disc with box and manual is now half that much.  Still want to play it off the HDD?  Install it, and the DVD in the slot then becomes a mere copy protection dongle.  It stops spinning entirely.  This is what I have been doing with whatever game I'm hot and heavy into, for the duration of the obsession, even with my miniscule 13GB drive.  I always leave enough free space to dump one game disc.

But if they quit being penny wise and pound foolish, and allowed us to buy HDD upgrades for prices that make sense, we would not have to be so picky about what software we buy as DLC.  It's very much in their interest to do this, and perhaps sometime before the end of the system's life cycle, they will wise up to it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
Why is it in their interests to sell us products at reasonable prices when they're already moving enough units selling at outrageous prices to the uninformed masses?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
On another note - I still think Microsoft screwed itself in the format war by NOT making the 360 out the box support ONLY the HD-DVD format period; especially since the PS3 came Blu-Ray equipped.

While the DVD format is showing its age, you must understand that the Xbox360 was not designed to support high definition video and the investment into the HD-DVD format was a risky move on MS' part, a move that did not pay off.  I'm one of the few people here who have the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive add-on, and I totally regret the purchase.  Not because the format is now obsolete, but rather because the Xbox360 is limited in its capabilities as a video player. 

1) The original Xbox360 does not have HDMI support.  That means component video.  HDCP regulation indicates that 1080p video is only allowed through HDMI.  Thus, the original Xbox360 does not support full HD video (you can still get 1080p for games though). 

2) The Xbox360 is very, very limited in audio codec support.  It only supports Dolby Digital.  DTS, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-MA are not supported.  Everything that goes through gets encoded back into Dolby Digital.

The Xbox360 was designed as a game console and that's really it.  The emergence of HD video support works, but for a true home theater set up, the 360 leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
Why is it in their interests to sell us products at reasonable prices when they're already moving enough units selling at outrageous prices to the uninformed masses?

Well, I thought I explained that.  Uninformed or not, the prices will stop a lot of upgrading.  No upgrades, no room for downloadable big games (with no box, manual or disc to produce, no packaging, and no shipping).  Proper balancing cost of hardware with bigger playground for pricey downloads improves the bottom line for Microsoft.  I'm saying they're impeding their own better profits.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 07:33:47 PM »
Just bought the Steam version.  Haven't had any problems with Borderlands (well, as far as I know), and god knows when I'll actually be able to get to a store during working hours during the week.  Like most of you, I like actually getting something physical for my money - but I move way too much and just end up losing, giving away, or tossing games because I hate clutter.  This way works.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
Yeah so after more play time I've really gotten into it.  Cinematically, no game comes close to this except MGS4 -- it's just fuckin great.  The graphics and locations you'll see make the first game seem tiny and the environments have a certain scale to them that makes everything look unbelievably better and more realistic.  Since the start of the game, it's gotten a little more complex in ways that I'd rather not ruin, but it's still not as deep or complex as the first game (which we all know wasn't even all that deep).  So, that's kind of annoying, but it remains the only problem I have with this amazing game.  I even preordered it so I can get that Blackstorm projector gun thing.  That, and I feel too shameful to enjoy a game this much and still not buy it; buy when the buyin's good, no?

Anyways, I'm almost 14 hours in and it is just non-stop awesome, just don't expect the enormous depth that Bioware is known for.  I suppose I expected more traditional RPG elements, and while I was initially disappointed I can see now that the way it was streamlined actually works very well in terms of pacing and action.  It really might be the perfect Action RPG hybrid or, at the very least, sets the standard for what a well-paced, thrilling Action RPG should henceforth be.

I'm planning on zooming through the rest of the main story so I can play it again as the Vanguard class and go back for all the side quests.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #109 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
Well, I thought I explained that.  Uninformed or not, the prices will stop a lot of upgrading.  No upgrades, no room for downloadable big games (with no box, manual or disc to produce, no packaging, and no shipping).  Proper balancing cost of hardware with bigger playground for pricey downloads improves the bottom line for Microsoft.  I'm saying they're impeding their own better profits.

But if that were the case, wouldn't they be doing that?  Maybe they're making more money selling shitty hard drives than they feel they would be off downloads.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #110 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 12:36:53 AM »
With XBL producing more downloads than PSN it seems to me that people are just deleting the games they aren't playing. Since most seem to have big broadband connections, I guess they don't care.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 01:04:11 AM »
Wow, I started to watch the video review on my PC, but had to run.  I ended up watching it on my phone, and when the resolutions matched up a bit more the visuals were really amazing.  So pumped.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »
The cable is included with all the HDD upgrade packs.  That said, their 60GB and 120GB retail upgrades remain wholly inadequate for digital distribution of full retail titles.  While at this time there are only a handful released on the Xbox marketplace, once more are released those hard drives will still be insufficient.  I don't know about you, but I personally do not want to delete anything that I have purchased digitally.  You never know if it might become unavailable, or if you will no longer be able to download it or something.

This might be a slight deviation from the topic at hand, but the Xbox360's original design and specs are showing its age.  When people start worrying about disk space and start having to purchase addons and upgrades to their existing console, it's starting to show that the original design is inadequate for today's market.  My 20GB Pro model is completely outdated now.  I only have 9.7GB free, and that's basically not enough space for today's XBL implementation and regular use -- I assume that most XBLA games are getting bigger.  I think if I deleted _everything_ I'd have like 13-15 GB free, which is still not a lot.

Digital distribution has really taken off over the last 2 years.  DLC is now really commonplace, and they are getting bigger.  What we thought were simple arcade games that would be small are slowly becoming as impressive as full fledged retail titles.  Full retail titles are also being released for digital distribution too.

Add in proprietary design, and MS has totally fucked their consumer base.  I have absolutely no intentions of upgrading my HDD on the Xbox360 unless I don't have to pay for it.  Their 60GB and 120GB HDD upgrades are ridiculously overpriced.  MS tried the bandaid solution though -- I remember hearing about their free upgrade for people with arcade machines (no HDD) for a free 20GB HDD or something like that. 

Basically, it seems that MS didn't really plan things out too well and the consumer suffers greatly as they are forced to play catch up with the accessories (wireless adapter is now replaced with the wireless N adapter; HDD is inadequate and needs an upgrade).  People then have to fight the hardware problems, but become attached as they are too 'invested' into the Xbox360 platform.

No, they didn't think years ahead, and I doubt if anyone in the business knows how long any one console cycle is going to last.  My feeling is that this current cycle is going to be significantly longer than previous ones.  Both Sony and MS lost massive amounts of money establishing their entries, and to bring it all to net profitability requires more time.  Plus I'm sure the pain of the bloodletting doesn't exactly motivate them to hurt like that again anytime soon. Nintendo isn't pushing the leading edge in the slightest, so it's not like anyone is forcing a leap to the next cycle.  The Wii remote will be copied and maybe retrofit to the other consoles, and that's that.

So, peripheral updates to the systems are not surprises.  They're also not undesirable.  What they are, at least in Microsoft's myopic case, is seriously overpriced.  Their system's firmware can be updated to allow all manner of peripheral improvements, and apparently, it was designed to permit much-larger HDDs from the get-go.  No short-sightedness there.  Now if they can just get the cost in line with what's advantageous for them and their users, they stand to gain a massive profit from the move to electronic distribution.

I don't like to delete anything I've purchased either, and so far I haven't.  All I have free is 1.6 GB right now, since Fallout 3 is installed.  As long as the "real" games keep coming on DVD, I don't have to play catch-up with anything.  If they really want their Steam-like ambitions to succeed with me, or anyone who thinks like me, they need to give me a lot more space for a price I'm willing to pay.  As for the transfer kits, last I heard is that you don't get one with the 60GB drive, but you do with the 120.

Final note:  There is zero need for 802.11N for years to come.  G will be all you need until broadband gets routinely above 54 Mbps across the board (including server speeds and all other links in the chain).  Right now the best I know of for the home is 30, and most people are lucky to get 7.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #113 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
I wonder if it is too crazy to assume that 1TB would be standard issue with next gen consoles?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #114 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
With the way digital downloads are getting and with how big games are becoming (and how cheap storage is, at least if you aren't buying from Microsoft), it seems logical to me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #115 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:51:07 PM »
Final note:  There is zero need for 802.11N for years to come.  G will be all you need until broadband gets routinely above 54 Mbps across the board (including server speeds and all other links in the chain).  Right now the best I know of for the home is 30, and most people are lucky to get 7.
I agree for the most part, but at the same time feel the pinch of 54 Mbps at times.  I do have a file server in my house and transferring files wirelessly at half or less than half the speed can be quite noticeable at times.  But yes, it certainly hasn't caused me to run out and buy a 802.11n wireless access point or anything.  It's definitely not a need.

Does their new 802.11n wireless adapter support WPA2?  I always thought it was strange that the original 360 wireless adapter supported only up to WPA even though the 360 GUI (even the old one) shows WPA2 as a selection.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Yes it does.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 12:17:49 AM »
Interesting...

I just got home with the game. Not gonna play it yet, I've still got to finish up the first game. (I'm about to do Virmire, and may do some more side quests.) So noth the bonus shit from buying a new copy of the game (Cerberus Network, extra character, equipment, and more missions I think) and the Gamestop preorder stuff, all of that activates on ea.com. Most Preorder/new copy bonuses (for Xbox at least) are codes you put in on the Xbox Live Marketplace and they automatically download. So you have to have an ea.com account just to use these bonus codes.

Also, the Ceberus Network thing says as one of it's bonuses, "Recieve updates and news via direct feed in-game." This could be cool mission updates, or could be fucking annoying in-game spam about upcoming EA games. I guess we'll see.

EDIT: I guess the Gamestop preorder is the only part you have to put in on the EA website. The other stuff can be put in from within ME2, including the creation of an ea.com account if you don't have one. I like how when you press start on the title screen, before you even get to "new game" it pops up a prompt to put in or buy the Cerberus Network content. So anyone who buys the game used is gonna see "Hey, you could have had this shit if you bought the game new. If you didn't, you to spend $15 on it?"
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 12:42:08 AM by W7RE »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
Gametrailers gives it 9.7

There are some story spoilers about the game's opening sequence (first 2 minutes of the review)... other than that the review is pretty much spoiler free.

Length is mentioned to be about 25-40 hours, so it does appear to be double the length of the original, which is a good thing.

Gameplay mechanics seem to be non-RPG like.  Apparently there's no loot aside from schematic upgrades which you purchase from minerals you find by planet scanning (minigame).  So there are no vehicle segments, and some RPG elements in the first have been further simplified.  The reviewer also mentions that you are likely to shuffle and use all the party members a lot more... that should be interesting.

The game appears to play more similarly to Gears of War or Uncharted style, with biotic and tech powers added in.  It appears to have regenerating health system akin to most shooters nowadays too.

A complaint is that load times on the 360 can be 'epic' so it's recommended to install the game for the 360 version.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 01:46:32 AM »
I did a bit of searching and it seems most people took 30 to 40 hours with the original, so I don't know about that. I myself have played for about 18 hours and still am pretty far away from finishing it.