Author Topic: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread  (Read 251508 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread
« Reply #600 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
So I sorta burnt out on GTA4 rather quickly, haven't played in a few weeks now. Its fun but the repetition gets on my nerves.

10 Get mission
20 drive across town
30 kill some dudes
40 run from cops
50 if fail at any point, then GOTO 20
60 GOTO 10

I played through both Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood back to back. Really enjoyed it, but its time to take a break from them. Might try for the AC2 platinum trophy at some point since it seems doable. ACB platinum requires me to get multiplayer trophies so basically its impossible. These games are a big step up from AC1. A lot less repetitive and the missions are interesting. ACB added an interesting mechanic where you are given a sub goal for each mission, usually some special way to complete it such as using a particular weapon to kill the target, or not killing anyone but the target. Makes them a little more interesting and gives a reason to replay missions, but some of them seem hard as balls so again its something Im probably not going to go back to get 100% on.

Next up for PS3 play is going to be Arkham Asylum and then Arkham City. PC I'm digging into Basion and all the games in the Royale and Humble bundles, starting with the Blackwell Trilogy.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #601 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
I can't remember if I did all of those sub goals for ACB but I remember trying to do a lot them and they did get pretty hard. Awesome game, shitty ending compared to AC2 but I'm not really into those games for the plot so much.

Recently finished Arkham Asylum and I am now plowing into Arkham City. Loved AA and AC is completely phenomenal. Like ACB, there's absolutely tons of side stuff to distract you. I am not sure if I can get all the Riddler stuff because there is just soooo much, much more than AA. I am going to try though, if the puzzles aren't too daunting, then I can see myself getting them all.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #602 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »
Yeah the AC endings are really weak. The "history" story is alright, but the overall "modern" story is just left wide open for sequels and doesn't feel like its going anywhere.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #603 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
So I sorta burnt out on GTA4 rather quickly, haven't played in a few weeks now. Its fun but the repetition gets on my nerves.

10 Get mission
20 drive across town
30 kill some dudes
40 run from cops
50 if fail at any point, then GOTO 20
60 GOTO 10

I played through both Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood back to back. Really enjoyed it, but its time to take a break from them. Might try for the AC2 platinum trophy at some point since it seems doable. ACB platinum requires me to get multiplayer trophies so basically its impossible. These games are a big step up from AC1. A lot less repetitive and the missions are interesting. ACB added an interesting mechanic where you are given a sub goal for each mission, usually some special way to complete it such as using a particular weapon to kill the target, or not killing anyone but the target. Makes them a little more interesting and gives a reason to replay missions, but some of them seem hard as balls so again its something Im probably not going to go back to get 100% on.

Next up for PS3 play is going to be Arkham Asylum and then Arkham City. PC I'm digging into Basion and all the games in the Royale and Humble bundles, starting with the Blackwell Trilogy.

I thought GTA4 was great, BUT I really LOVED Ballad of Gay Tony [from EFLC]. That's the kind of GTA stuff I been waiting for since Vice City - the off-the-wall and insane over-the-top missions were what GTA4 kind of lacked.

Batman: AA was great, but AC is even GREATER. I need to finish AC up.
I need to give Bastion some time...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #604 on: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 11:57:19 AM »
Finished earlier today Batman: Arkham City (PC).
Damn, what an awesome game...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #605 on: Saturday, December 17, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
I finished up Yakuza 3 earlier this month and haven't been playing much of anything since I was taking care of some certification exams. I finished that up on the 14th though so I have finally started playing Resonance of Fate.  The tutorial was awful but now I am finally getting the hang of the battle system and having fun so far.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #606 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 06:53:55 AM »
I'm bouncing around, playing Bastion (PC) and Just Cause 2 (PC).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #607 on: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 06:44:38 AM »
Costume Quest is awesome. It's such a simple game but it keeps me going. It can get monotonous at times but it's still awesome.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #608 on: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 07:12:18 AM »
It's too bad that it doesn't go on for longer.  I had a blast while it lasted.

I'm hooked on Forza 4 at the moment.  So very nicely done.  I played through Bulletstorm and enjoyed it, but it didn't really grab me enough to keep chasing scores and killing methods.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #609 on: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »
I'm in the middle of Bulletstorm.  Agree with Cobra.  Game is hilarious and fun.  If I didn't have a backlog 10 stories high I might devote some more time to it after I finish.  But I'll probably move on when I finish the story.

My plan was to tackle Chrono Cross after Bulletstorm, but a friend and I got to talking about Elder Scrolls at our Christmas party so I've been sucked back into Morrowind.

on deck:

Fable 3
Batman:  Arkham City

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #610 on: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
RAGE: Anarchy Edition PC
This would be a REALLY good game, if they could get the texture-pops and blurry up-close textures fixed...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #611 on: Monday, January 02, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »
Just started playing Rochard. It's an awesome little physics platformer. The gameplay is in the vein of Trine (but it's singleplayer only), you solve platforming scenarios using your gravity gun. It's very polished and yet further proof that physics are fun!

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #612 on: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
Still playing SC2. Thank you very much!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #613 on: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
Checking through Games on Demand, I noticed Dragon Age: Origins dropped another $5 to $15, so I finally grabbed it.  That's the same price as a lot of little arcade games.  Underwhelming graphics, as reported everywhere, but it's very engrossing already.  I just made it out of the castle and into that camp at some ruins.  Playing as a warrior the first time, as I usually do.  I'm not a fan of the indirect feel of attacks, something that always bugs me about Bioware games.  Make them turn-based, or make them real time--pick one!  This hybrid mishmash is disconcerting.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #614 on: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
What I never got used to was the utter cliche of every written word and concept. I lasted until I met the elves then realized I'd played the game 12,000 times before. A shame, too, because I actually found the combat pretty awesome. It took a bit to get going, but when it started to open up the combat system was a lot of fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #615 on: Wednesday, January 04, 2012, 09:27:56 PM »
I liked DAO. The only thing I disliked about it is the same thing I dislike about most turn-based/dice-roll combat RPGs: the animations don't line up with what actually happens e.g. character dodges but hit registers or character hits, sword clipping right through enemy body, hit doesn't register. I have to keep reminding myself that the visuals are vastly exaggerated representations of a paper'n'pen dice-roll game.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #616 on: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 06:39:32 AM »
What I never got used to was the utter cliche of every written word and concept. I lasted until I met the elves then realized I'd played the game 12,000 times before. A shame, too, because I actually found the combat pretty awesome. It took a bit to get going, but when it started to open up the combat system was a lot of fun.

That took me by surprise.  I thought the game was pretty much everyone's darling here, marketing missteps aside.  Whatever.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #617 on: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »
Sadly not. I really wanted to like the game and tried. I just couldn't stomach the averageness of the world and story. The only edgy stuff it tried to do, which they played up so much, it stole directly from The Witcher.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #618 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
Finished up Resonance of Fate tonight which I had a lot of fun with.  I will be jumping into To The Moon later tonight.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #619 on: Thursday, January 12, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
Alice: Madness Returns (PC)
Artistically, this game is BEAUTIFUL.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #620 on: Monday, February 06, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
Skyrim!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #621 on: Monday, February 06, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
I got that and Mass Effect 2 the same day.  I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of Skyrim yet.  I'm playing both ME2 and Dragon Age: Origins, a Bioware marathon of sorts.  I'm getting near the end in DAO.  It's been quite an experience.  The world is so rich, and there is so much going on.  I'll still get surprised now and then by a long whimsical conversation I hadn't heard before.  There is just a staggering amount of stuff crammed in that disc.  Too bad the 2nd installment turned out to be a disappointment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #622 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
Just finished Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Single Player Campaign in one day.
Took approximately 8 hours, according to Steam.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #623 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 05:22:05 AM »
My Skyrim character is at Level 29, and I'm still discovering major new places.  It's hard to stay focused on anything, since I run into so many alluring places while chasing particular quests.

Forza 4 is the best sim racer I've ever played.  I'm going to be into that for a long time to come.  They keep it fresh with new cars and events popping up constantly.  I love the rivals mode, where you race against someone's ghost.  Every month, a new set of challenges is added, and you race against whoever's performance is just above your previous one.  The purpose is to climb up the leaderboard by beating their lap time, while the ghostly image of their car races along with you.  I was ecstatic when they added the '95 Cobra R, which can be made to look like my car with a street hood, a tweaked paint job and some Brabus Monoblock wheels.  That's one I definitely had to get.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #624 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »
Glancing at the images from my phone, I swore both pics were actual real pics of cars.

The top one is in game while the bottom one is your actual car correct?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #625 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 06:13:44 AM »
Yes, that's right.  The rendering in the game is stellar, though there is an extra layer of antialiasing when you take still shots, which you can then upload to the Forza website from the game.  I used an environment ("homespace") that somewhat matches the illumination of my car's photo, and I tried taking the virtual photo from the same perspective as the real one.  I came close.

The cars look awesome in motion in the game too, which runs at a full 60 fps.  I love watching the replays.

Edit:  Also, the accuracy of the car model is outstanding.  I know my car very well, after 16 years.  After examining the model from every possible angle, including peering into the interior, I can say everything is just about exactly right.  The differences I've seen I checked online, and sure enough, they're all due to the deletions in the racing-only Cobra R model.  (For example, no rear seat and no radio.)  Whoever put this together spent some quality time doing it right.  I can't say that every single car model has this level of accuracy, but I suspect most of them do, after this experience.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #626 on: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
Cobra I may have asked previously, but are you using the official steering wheel?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #627 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
No, just the controller.  Even if I could afford a good wheel, I probably wouldn't get it because of my cramped quarters.  (Where would I set it up?)  The controller works very well for me.  They did a fine job with the controls and layout.  The only thing I'm doing without is the manual clutch.  My lap times are consistently top 1%, so I don't think I'm at much of a disadvantage, though the consensus on the FM4 forums is that the manual clutch is important for the best times.

Do you have the game?  I don't ever see any times from OW friends showing up on the friends LB.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #628 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »
Well, no, although I don't think you're on my friends list.

I bought Forza 2 and the official wheel (which for some reason they stopped making) back when Forza 2 first came out.  Got REALLY into the game.  Then my xbox RRoDed for the first time.  So I ended up losing the momentum in the game that I had going.  I loved it though, and the wheel made for a pretty realistic experience.

My username is Very Unclever, or Veryunclever...whichever one works. either PSN or XBL won't allow spaces and I can never remember which one it is.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #629 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
Must be PSN.  I'm fairly sure XBL allows them.  I'll try to remember to add you next time I'm online.  While I'm into Skyrim, I have the ethernet cable pulled out of the back of the Xbox.  The game seems more stable that way.

I have FM2 as well, but I didn't get into that one nearly as much as 4.  I tried it out again recently, and there is no going back.  Everything that matters is markedly better now, and that includes physics and handling.  They're modeling 4-tire behavior using data from Pirelli.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #630 on: Sunday, September 02, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »
Currently Playing on the PC:
-- Xenus 2: White Gold (AKA Boiling Point 2; AKA White Gold: War In Paradise)
-- Driver: San Francisco

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #631 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
Driver SF is a blast.  I've been away for it for a while, though,  I hit a slow spot where I had done most of the exploring and leveling up I could, and I wasn't finding an obvious way to progress.  Meanwhile, Minecraft on XBLA (beta 1.7.3 + limited-size worlds) is consuming my game time all by its lonesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #632 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
Driver SF is a blast.  I've been away for it for a while, though,  I hit a slow spot where I had done most of the exploring and leveling up I could, and I wasn't finding an obvious way to progress. 
I agree -- Driver: SF is a lot of fun. The gameplay with the Shift mechanic is just awesome.
I like a lot of the side quests, which seem to have their very own mini-story.
Though, I'm still curious...where the hell the main story is going w/ this odd over-the-top angle...  :o

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #633 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
Same here.  I'm stuck in the story progression at the moment.  There are a lot of areas still blocked out by those red phantom walls, and I want to get to them.  I'm assuming I need to move the story along to get there, somehow.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #634 on: Monday, September 03, 2012, 08:30:50 AM »
Same here.  I'm stuck in the story progression at the moment.  There are a lot of areas still blocked out by those red phantom walls, and I want to get to them.  I'm assuming I need to move the story along to get there, somehow.

Ditto.
I'll probably get back to Driver: SF soon - since I'll need a change of pace, after my work here on Xenus 2: White Gold.
I've played A LOT of games w/ heavy-shooting elements of late - Syndicate 2012, FEAR 3, Darkness 2, Binary Domain, SR: The Third, Xenus 2: White Gold, etc etc.

EDIT -- 9-7-2012:
Finished Xenus 2: White Gold tonight.
Even despite my laundry list of complaints, it was still pretty damn good. Definitely an ambitious "diamond in the rough", if you're ambitious enough to try and stick with the game despite its nuimerous problems.

« Last Edit: Thursday, September 06, 2012, 09:19:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #635 on: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
A bit ago or so (11-18-2012), finished Prototype 2 (PC).
It was fun & a blast - it's more Prototype 1 basically, but better -- more to do (side quests galore!) and destroy; and the story builds upon the original (and is a little bit more interesting).

Finished up Max Payne 3 - the SP Campaign portion last night.
As the Remedy CEO put it - it's "fucking brilliant."

Next up starting tonight: Dishonored (PC).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #636 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
So here's everything I finished in 2012.

MysterD's PC Games Finished in 2012 - FINAL LIST
Sleeping Dogs -- 12-29-2012
Dishonored -- Completed w/ "High Chaos" on 12-05-2012
Max Payne 3 -- 11-29-2012
Prototype 2 -- 11-18-2012
Hotline Miami --> Main Game; Extra Chapters up to 19; Highball level -- 11-10-2012
Need For Speed: The Run -- 10-22-2012
Spec Ops: The Line -- 10-10-2012
Diablo III -- 10-6-2012 on Normal Difficulty as Witchdoctor.
Battlefield 3 -- 9-22-2012
Xenus 2: White Gold -- 9-6-2012
Bastion -- 8-1-2012
The Darkness II -- 7-29-2012
Saints Row: The Third -- 7-25-2012
Kingdoms of Amalur - The Legend of Dead Kel (DLC) -- 7-11-2012
Binary Domain -- 7-8-2012
FEAR 3 -- 7-2-2012
RAGE -- 6-28-2012
Risen 2: Dark Waters -- 6-5-2012
Mass Effect 3 -- 5-22-2012
Dead Island: Ryder White (DLC) -- 4-29-2012
Dungeon Siege III: Treasures Of The Sun (DLC) -- 3-31-2012
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link (DLC) -- 3-25-2012
Crysis 2 -- 3-24-2012
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 -- 3-11-2012
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning -- 3-7-2012
L.A. Noire: Complete Edition -- 1-3-2012

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #637 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
Syndicate: I'm actually not playing this anymore ( I quit), but this game didn't know what it wanted to be. You can't run and gun, you can't sneak, the breaches you use (or skills) don't actually help you out. This game was a big disappointment for me.

Skyrim: Still playing it, still loving it!

The Saboteur: I forgot all about this game, then I just started playing it this week. I really like it, you can be stealthy or Rambo and both works.

Deus Ex 2: Haven't played this in a couple of weeks, its not a bad game, but its not Deus Ex (thats a bad thing).

The Force Unleashed 2: Its ok, but the combat gets repetitive.

Dead Island: Only played a little bit so far, but I like it so far.

Fable 3: Again, only played a little bit, but like it a lot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #638 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
PC Games

Currently playing:
NBA2K13
Hitman: Absolution

Recently finished:
The Walking Dead - The Game (by Telltale)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #639 on: Friday, January 11, 2013, 01:21:53 AM »
Recently Finished:
Halo 3. A friend bought me Halo 4 for Christmas so I finally played through Halo 3, in 2 sittings. The story is boring, and I don't think I was really paying that much attention. The last bit was good, where you're driving the warthog. it reminded me of the end of Halo 1.

Doom 3 BFG Edition. I just finished the base game for the first time, only 8.5 years late. There was still a lot of good stuff in there. And still a lot of annoying stuff lol. Enemies spawning around you never stops getting annoying. I think I'm gonna take a break for a couple weeks at least before I dive into Resurrection of Evil and the Lost Levels, mostly because of that. I was super annoyed for pretty much all of the last 2 levels.

Now I might play through Dead Space 1 and 2 again in anticipation of Dead Space 3 in a little over 3 weeks. If so, expect some bitching about the asteroid sequence. ;D

Currently Playing:
Too many games. My current to do list looks like this:
Far Cry 3 - my "when I'm not trying to finish something else" game
Borderlands 2 - Mr Torgue's Campaign of Carnage
Amnesia - haven't even started yet
Dark Souls - have barely touched it so far
Rage
Space Marine
Quake 4 - have barely touched it so far
F.E.A.R.
Splatterhouse
Halo 4 - Haven't even loaded up the campaign yet, but I intend to. Mostly waiting for my coop partner.