Author Topic: OWmeet Thread - An Annual Production by the OW Monkeys  (Read 89720 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: OWmeet 09 Thread of Planningness
« Reply #40 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
You dont remember firestorm?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 12:29:02 PM »
I was kidding.

I just find it funny that he hasn't been here in ages, and is suddenly going to make it to the meet. :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
ah, heh.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, March 08, 2009, 12:12:22 AM »
So what's going on with it?  I didn't make it - nursing a cold right now... 

Moving sometime next week.  Then again after that, but yeah.. I'll let you guys know when I go there.  Just planning it right now.

I'll prolly come on my own though. 

Taken.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 10:03:26 PM »
So we have some ideas for "events" while everybody's here, and I'd like to get some feedback from you guys.

Firstly, one that Pyro suggested: Lucky JuJu Pinball.  Basically a vintage pinball museum.  Ten bucks entry and I think you can just hang out and play any of the 40 machines for however long you want.  I'm pretty sure he sets them to free play, but I'm not 100% positive.  Either way, good times.

Secondly, one I thought of: Cartoon Art Museum, in San Francisco.  They're going to have 2 exhibits there during the meet, one consisting of Watchmen-related material, and the other for Stan Sakai art.  You can read about them on the page there.

Lastly, one Belmont asked about that I thought of: the de Young Museum.  There are a few exhibits going on right now, which you can check out here.  This is more fine art type stuff, which I know Dustin and I enjoy, but not sure on everybody else.

We're also going to probably have a night where we watch American Splendor since Belmont and idol haven't seen it, and then during the meet Venture Bros. Season 3 hits DVD, so I figure we totally have to devote a night to sitting at Sy's eating pizza from Zachary's while watching (after making the requisite trip to Best Buy, of course).

So... thoughts?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »
I already posted my thoughts in the IRC chat, but I'm down for everything on that list.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #46 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 11:08:28 PM »
Im always down for art museums, those all seem fine to me.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
If you're up for more classical art, the Legion of Honor is a great alternative to the de Young. If you're feeling very adventurous, I think they have discount tickets that work for both and a bus line that runs between the two.

Also, as of sometime last week I have no neighbors below me. I'm guessing/hopping it'll stay that way until at least the end of next week since they're still doing a little work. This could be good for us.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
Awesome!  And that means that fucking chick with the music is gone.  I really hated her.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
Yeah, but her husband was a cool guy. It's a shame to lose him as a neighbor.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »
Oooh, the SF Botanical Garden is near the art museum.

Offline firestorm225

• Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
So I have a few interviews for jobs throughout the week but otherwise I think I'll show up for a day or two :) Now some suggestions:

1) Anything in Golden Gate Park is good. De Young and the Botanical Gardens are definitely worthwhile trips. If you do go to Golden Gate Park, make sure to go to the intersection of Haight and Stanyan Streets!! If you go west into the park, you'll find yourself in a place called Hippy Hill, the remnants of the 60s movement. This is one of the few places in the country where people will openly offer to sell you weed, shrooms, and various other drugs and hallucinogens. Don't make eye contact with the dealers (they usually have backpacks on) if you don't want drugs. If you head east down Haight, you'll see a lot of cool small shops...

2) The Legion of Honor and surrounding areas are pretty cool. In addition of checking out the Legion, be sure to take the path along the coast edge of Lincoln Park. Incredible views of Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin headlands. Also not too far away from the Cliff House.

3) Another place which might be fun for nerds (lol) is Musee Mechanique . This museum, previously located at the Cliff House, is now at Fisherman's Wharf, the epicenter of San Francisco Tourism. So in addition to being able to check out Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, and Aquatic Park, you could also see this museum. It has a bunch of quarter-operated old school arcade games (like super old school mechanical ones), and is a lot of fun. Free admission too.

San Francisco itself is only about 7 miles by 7 miles but it's packed with stuff inside. Let me know if you guys want any more suggestions...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 08:12:31 PM »
Gah, no more.  I actually hate San Francisco and spend as little time there as possible, outside of occasionally venturing in for stuff like museums and such.

As for the events... it's going to be a bit weird working out the logistics.  We don't actually plan stuff, and I have no idea if and when we'll actually do any of this.  They're ideas, but it may well be that we don't do any of it at all, or come up with something else at the last minute and end up in Mexico or something.  So I can't guarantee much.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 16, 2009, 08:35:06 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 08:54:12 PM »
Ok, firestorm, I'm just going to lay this out here. We're all equally stumped by this, and not sure of a diplomatic way of handling it. So I'm just going to post, and hope you don't take it the wrong way.

You seem cool enough, you've posted in the past and felt like a good match for the personalities on the board. But its been a while since you've been a "regular", and its hard to remember personalities like that.

Its not like we don't want you there, we just don't know enough about you to make that decision. We don't know how well you'll mesh with the group, and don't want to have hurt feelings if we don't meet up or don't ask you to join us for stuff later or what have you.

I suck at writing this kind of thing. I guess the basic idea is: we don't know. We don't know what we're doing or when, we don't know you very well or how you'd fit in with the rest of us, and we don't know how to tell you this in a way that doesn't sound mean. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. It'd be cool to have more people at the meet and all, as long as it "works", you know? We just don't know how well it would work right now.

Offline firestorm225

• Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
I see, and don't worry, it's cool. My post was just general suggestions, not forcing you guys to do a plan or anything, and sorry if it made it seem like I was inviting myself, it was meant to be more like if you guys are in the area you could give me a holler. But I won't be offended either way, and I do understand that like half of my posts on this forum are on this thread, haha.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Monday, March 16, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »
Ok, cool. We all felt kind of bad by ignoring you but we didn't really know how to answer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 01:18:27 AM »
Festivities have officially begun.  They consisted of lots of the usual BS, with the absolute trip-making highlight: using a magical talking serving machine with a touchscreen to order our food at Jack in the Box.

We are in the future.  No, seriously.  THE FUTURE.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »
I'm fixing to leave for work now and this is going to be the longest day of work ever.  Can't wait to see all of you tomorrow.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #58 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 03:17:04 AM »
So Megan and I arrived, they all showed me the magical taco machine as we picked up and gorged on bacons and meats from Jack in the Box. Sorry Belmont if we are late to pick you up or don't show up at all, we all probably died from massive heart failure.

Also Noby Noby Boy is now my pick for game of the year if it's to be classified as a game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »
I dont think we'll survive this year.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Hooray, I'm here now!  Typing on Idol's EEE PC is sort of difficult.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Monday, March 23, 2009, 02:34:30 AM »
MORBIDLY OBESE WRESTLING THROUGH TIME!  NARCOLEPTIC SOCCER RUSH!  VIKING BAZOOKA BLOODBATH!

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #62 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 02:14:26 AM »
I am back home again. The week went by in a flash. It feels extremely depressing being surrounded by people that your really comfortable with then you leave and its back to the grind. Vacations are never this good.

I'll have to borrow Megan's camera and get her pictures on photobucket, which will probably happen on Tuesday when Im off.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 07:26:15 AM »
Final photo exchange should happen today here too before Belmont is off.  We miss everyone already... the next week is going to suck.

EDIT - Well, everyone's gone.  And to commemorate a week of horrible eating habits, I polished off a gigantic plate of corned beef hash with poached eggs and a blueberry muffin.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.

Thanks for another great year, guys.  It was a blast.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 11:31:09 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
Hooray, I'm back home too now.  I had a blast this year and can't wait to do it again next year.  I'll probably upload my pics in a thread sometime soon.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
I'm posting from the train! Got some wifi here in Denver. So far the trip has been going well, seat to myself the whole way. I'll be home tomorrow.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #66 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I bet traveling by train is equally awesome and horrendous. 

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »
Yeah. Thanks everyone for a good time. It's amazing how short a week can feel sometimes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »
I'm back. Woo.

That return trip was interesting. I had the seat all to myself until Denver when some dude sat next to me. Damn.

Then at 6am today I was woken up to some train security asking about my suitcase because it didnt have a tag on it. They ask me a million questions about who I am, what I do, where I went, what I did there, etc etc. They eventually call in my info to some place and search my bags, find out I have a perfectly clean record and nothing in my bags but dirty laundry, and they leave. What the fuck? That bag never had a tag, not last year or this year. The first year they even made me remove the tags I had on them, though those were checked bags. So I went 3 days out with no problem and two whole days back...and they pick 6am in Omaha to throw a hissy fit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: OWmeet 09 Thread - now with 3 years of pictures!
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 12:51:26 AM »
How stupid.  What the fuck are they all bugged out about anyway?  It's a train.  What, are you going to hijack it and drive it into a Burger King?

EDIT - So I finally got the pictures uploaded from last year's (2008's) OWmeet.  I know, I'm a year late.  Leave me alone.  You can now view them here!

I also uploaded an extended gallery from what's been seen previously for OWmeet 2007, and you can check those out here.  They're good times, and certainly worth reliving so as to ease the depression of having OWmeet 2009 over and done.

EDIT x2 - And now we have "edit" albums which remove the few vaguely offensive pictures and any swearing in the comments.  Just in case you want to show the pictures to an easily offended family member of a prior generation or some such.

OWmeet 2007 Edit -- OWmeet 2008 Edit
« Last Edit: Friday, April 03, 2009, 08:25:51 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
sorry i havent made it these past 2 years but the timing has sucked! i'm on spring break NOW lol. I swear to make the next one though!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
OWMeet 2010: We're going to need a bus.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »
Nobody told me that idol was a hottie. This changes everything!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, April 04, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
Okay, so the pictures for this year still aren't up.  I was waiting on getting some of the remaining shots from people, but I think I'll just try to get what we've got up now and then add the remainder later.  Unless there are pitifully few, in which case I'll wait.  We didn't take nearly as many this year for some reason.  Not sure how many we'll end up having.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: Friday, April 10, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »
I would love to actually meet all of you guys, but I'm poor and you're on the complete opposite side of the country. Hopefully, whatever nude pics I've posted of myself should hold you over until I get to party with you all.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #75 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
Hey so when are the 09 pictures going up?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #76 on: Friday, April 24, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
Whenever I'm done moving and actually have time to get them all together.  It'll be soon.  Furniture goes the 29th.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:49:18 PM »
hey!! sounds like you guys had a blast! I'm in the process of moving so.... like Que!!

Lucky to have found a place affordable and central to everything! whee
Taken.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #78 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
Nobody told me that idol was a hottie. This changes everything!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, May 17, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
WHAT?!  HAVE YOU BEEN PEEKING INTO MY DREAMS?!