Author Topic: Knowing  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Knowing
« on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »
I didn't know a thing about this movie until I watched it.  I think it's loosely based on an Arthur C Clarke novel, which would be a definite spoiler to mention openly.

(click to show/hide)

It's authentic sci-fi.  A bit overbearing, but I found it more than worthwhile.  I'm sure liking Nicholas Cage helps.  The more dramatic scenes sure got enough money dumped into them, so this is no little indie effort.  Where was I when it first saw the light of day?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Knowing
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
It's an alright movie.  I hated the ending and didn't like the biblical references though. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 26, 2009, 06:47:43 PM »
See my spoiler above.  It's very much in keeping with that, allegories and tragedies especially.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 03:57:28 AM »
Visually, I loved it. The cinematography was fantastic.

I felt the plot was ok though many other elements were flimsy.

(click to show/hide)

Nicholas Cage is bearable in small doses but everytime I see him all I can think of is "put the bunny back in the box" in a Southern accent (from Con Air).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I like Nick Cage.  I had no problems with his performance, even if some other people found it too moody.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 18, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
I just watched this on DVD.
This is one of the better thrillers that deal w/ natural disasters and cataclysmic stuff that I've seen of late.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 28, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Yeah, poor M. Night.  He came in with a fury with The Sixth Sense but since then it's been a pretty steady decline into stupidity.

I saw Knowing the other day.  I found it to be alright but nothing special.

(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 30, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »
I rarely watch movies these days so I had never heard of it as well.  Read the back of the box as it was being put in and was like "The fuck?"  I was entertained, but I kind of thought it was weak.  I'm not a Nicholas Cage fan by any means, but I found him more bearable in this. I just kind of thought it was going to go in another direction entirely and deal with something more philosophical at about the half way point.  I was obviously very wrong.  But yeah, not bad.