Author Topic: Avatar Trailer  (Read 27110 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Avatar Trailer
« Reply #120 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »
That's fucking retarded.

Don't worry, D posted another link.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »
Don't worry, D posted another link.

I laughed really hard at this for some reason.

Anyways, I can second the Dances with Wolves comparison.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
About Dances With Wolves and Pocahontas comparisons - well, no wonder this film felt done before in the plot and character portion for me! Been a LONG while since I seen either of those...

I still can't get over how awesome the 3D part was - with all the special effects and transporting me there into the world of Pandora...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
Did it make you depressed and have suicidal thoughts?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but those blue chicks are hot. I'm seriously thinking about switching over.

It was boner level +5 when they were on screen.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »
Well, then you can indulge your creepy furry-but-not-furry fucking weirdo fantasies on the unrated DVD/bluray/whatever.  Supposedly that will have the blue people doing it.  So if you like your sex creepy and without artistic creativity... have at it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 01:38:31 AM »
I made that post solely to say "boner level +5". Just so you know.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 02:07:10 AM »
One thing is for sure. Captain Kirk would have shagged every creature on that planet.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »
Well, then you can indulge your creepy furry-but-not-furry fucking weirdo fantasies on the unrated DVD/bluray/whatever.  Supposedly that will have the blue people doing it.  So if you like your sex creepy and without artistic creativity... have at it.

"Blue on Blu".  I can see the ad campaign already.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 11:56:58 PM »
I'm surprised that there is even going to be a sequel, given the utter failure of the first movie.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #131 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:00:55 AM »
Actually it was always supposed to be a trilogy even before release.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #132 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
Don't ruin my sarcasm, Pug. It's all that I have.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but I finally saw this movie yesterday. I have to say it, Cameron is a genius. Not because he's a great director, but because he completely shitted out a paint by numbers, predictable, cliched movie that tricked people into thinking it was amazing by making it 3D. If it weren't for the 3D (which was amazing by the way, it has come a long way from what I remember as a kid) this movie wouldn't be on anyone's radar.

I knew everything that was going to happen before it happened, there were so many "deus ex machina" moments that I didn't feel any urgency when it came to the character's well being and the movie was about an hour too long. I also felt that the use of 3D seemed to wan as the movie went on, which just left you with the uninspiring story.

P.S. My dad and I saw this in the daytime and paid for an adult and senior citizen ticket...$23! WTF!?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
Got to see this today, in 3D.  Kept the glasses as a souvenir.  Amazing movie, derivative story notwithstanding.  It really is a must-see, like Star Wars was when it first came out.  I will also take this opportunity to tell Showcase Cinemas to kiss my ass for being cheap bastards with the brightness of their projector.  It was noticeably dim, and I'm sure that's no accident.  With tickets at $12 each and a half hour of ads, they can still turn a nifty profit with projections at full brightness.  Fuck them sideways.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 04:53:31 AM »
I saw it a second time (took Jennie's son), this time in IMAX 3D at the AMC at Newport on the Levee.  I was pissed because they had a blown subwoofer near wear I was sitting and you could hear the thing rattling away when there was heavy bass.  Luckily, it happened a lot more during the previews than the actual movie, so it didn't seem as bad once the movie started.  Still, I thought it was pretty shitty that happened, since they could probably replace the damn thing with the revenue from one showing.

But yes, I definitely agree with the Star Wars comparison.  The only thing is that I don't think Avatar has the same legs since the Na'vi are primitive.  It will be tough for them to get off of Pandora and explore other places.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:35:29 AM »
I want to see this again with the proper brightness.  How was the IMAX picture?  (Sorry about the sound problem.  That sucks too.)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #137 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
Well, it was the third movie I've seen in IMAX now.  I guess I don't see the big deal.  I mean the screen is definitely bigger, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference to me.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #138 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
Yeah, I've seen a number of movies at IMAX and it really doesn't do all that much for me.  We saw the original Matrix and 300, and they were cool, but sort of like... whatever.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
I've been to IMAX too.  I was wondering about the projection brightness.  Showcase projections have gotten dim, and it's not just this movie.  I'm sure it's a money thing.  No doubt in my mind.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
I have no idea about the brightness.  All I can say is that it's not something I've noticed before anywhere.

I was just reading that Avatar has passed Titanic as the highest-grossing film ever, worldwide.  I can't believe how fast that happened.

Titanic is still #1 in the U.S.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 08:02:06 PM »
Thats amazing because Titanics success was from all the 12 year old girls that had a crush on whatshisname and went to see the movie 40 times each.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
I guess it's impressive that the movie is grossing that much. However, it's not that impressive when you consider a ticket is at least double what everything else was even a few years ago (at least if you count the 3D stuff). If the movie sales a fair number of tickets, it's easy to overcome previous records.

Either that, or furries are really coming out of the woodworks. Like 12 year old girls who go see a movie a gillion times because they have a crush on someone, they need to be purged with fire.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »
I guess it's impressive that the movie is grossing that much. However, it's not that impressive when you consider a ticket is at least double what everything else was even a few years ago (at least if you count the 3D stuff). If the movie sales a fair number of tickets, it's easy to overcome previous records.

Either that, or furries are really coming out of the woodworks. Like 12 year old girls who go see a movie a gillion times because they have a crush on someone, they need to be purged with fire.
You make good points.  I read a couple weeks back that even though the gross is really high, it doesn't come anywhere close to Star Wars in the number of tickets sold.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #145 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 04:40:48 AM »
I posted this without reading the thread.

Avatar was fun, I saw it twice in 3D. Great movie? No. Great visuals? Yes++++++

It's worth seeing for the experience alone. Anyone who says otherwise is basically anti-fun. Like going to Disneyland and hating on people coming out of Space Mountain because there are better rollercoasters at other theme parks.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #146 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 06:43:34 AM »
Holy shit it is Kams!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »
Really really late, but I finally saw this movie yesterday since it came out on DVD and blu ray.  I rented the blu ray and it was amazing.  Reference quality video and audio.  The movie itself was really good too.  That said, they decided to include no special features into this blu ray release, instead using all of the disc's space for the video and audio... they're going to release another version in November that will have special features.  Hopefully it will be on a second disc.  I'll probably pick up that edition when it comes out then.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »
So it was still very engrossing without the 3D?  When I was watching, it seemed like the 3D made up a large part of the entertainment value.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »
I haven't seen it in 3D so I can't make the comparison, but it was still a treat for the eyes and ears on blu ray. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #150 on: Monday, April 26, 2010, 09:17:46 AM »
Well now I've seen it both in 3D at the theater and the DVD version in 2D at home.  It's definitely worthwhile either way.  I complained about the image being too dark at the theater.  No such problem on the DVD, which is bright, more colorful, and lovely.  I imagine the Bluray is even better.