Author Topic: Avatar Trailer  (Read 27104 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
Who is excited about the Avatar trailer coming out tomorrow?

I have to say I'm pretty interested in checking it out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Avatar Trailer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »
James Cameron's Avatar or Shyamalan's The Last Airbender (based on the Avatar animated series)?

Either way I'm looking forward to both.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 03:56:04 AM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
In that case.. Six minutes to go.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
Visually, it's quite impressive.

But beyond that, since very little is actually revealed about the plot except for war, it doesn't seem like anything special.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
God damned furries.

That aside... yeah, it's all big and epic looking but it's sort of sad that being like that isn't enough anymore. Simply making bigger and crazier battles only adds more noise to the background now. It's all about context now. We'll see if they can pull that off.

It's interesting just how much things have been able to be kept under wraps. It looks like a big huge expensive movie and we know it's been in the works for years, but up until now there was little clue as to what it would be like at all. Now it's set to come out in just a couple months and seems to be pretty much done. That in of itself is a pretty impressive feat these days.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
The fact that there was only one piece of spoken dialog in that trailer shows that for now, the focus was wowing us with the visuals, rather than establishing a storyline.

Anyway it looks pretty incredible. Let's just hope it has a story to match. Been a while since someone spun a good yarn in a film with a budget as HUGE as this. Like the video game industry, most of the big bucks seem to be set aside for sequels and stuff based on established intellectual properties. That's why it is nice to see this from Cameron.

It's interesting just how much things have been able to be kept under wraps. It looks like a big huge expensive movie and we know it's been in the works for years, but up until now there was little clue as to what it would be like at all. Now it's set to come out in just a couple months and seems to be pretty much done. That in of itself is a pretty impressive feat these days.

Yea, good point.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Awesome visuals.

So....ummm...what the hell is this film all about, anyways?  :o

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 20, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 12:37:57 PM »
The actual trailer is out now and it reveals a lot more plot.  While the storyline appears to be nothing new, it still looks like a fairly interesting movie.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »
Meh.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »
Yea the movie is starting to look very stupid to me. That storyline is so underwhelming and cliched.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, November 08, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »
I hadn't even heard about this movie until watching that trailer.  I'm so going to see that....probably because my expectations up to this point just didn't exist.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 12, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »
:(

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 05:43:43 PM »
Dunno what I meant by that...deleted.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #16 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
hahaha

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 03:30:50 AM »
Wow so this could actually be good?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 03:31:38 AM »
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091211/REVIEWS/912119998

Watching "Avatar," I felt sort of the same as when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977. That was another movie I walked into with uncertain expectations. James Cameron's film has been the subject of relentlessly dubious advance buzz, just as his "Titanic" was. Once again, he has silenced the doubters by simply delivering an extraordinary film. There is still at least one man in Hollywood who knows how to spend $250 million, or was it $300 million, wisely.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 03:52:03 AM »
I don't buy it.  Everything about the movie looks fucking terrible.  If it's actually good, I would truly be shocked, and I probably still wouldn't see it just because of how terrible it looks.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 06:48:12 AM »
Yea, there was another review I read which also had positive buzz, but it felt like it was written by somebody who just watched an impressive fireworks show when they were 6 years old. I don't know, there's been so much hype for it, I guess film critics have nothing better to do than crap their pants when they hear the word Avatar.

Moral of the story: Hyping a CG movie when Micheal Bay is still making movies is a bad idea.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
While I do agree that the whole prerelease hype felt quite underwhelming, I'd give film critics more credit than that. It has a 91% rating on rotten tomatoes, which is quite quite good from a survey of 35 critics.

If you are saying that the critics couldn't see through the hype, then I can give you a dozen examples of overly hyped titles that were panned. If you are saying that the critics were charmed by the mere knowledge that it came from a highly acclaimed director, then I can give you another dozen examples of movies that were poorly reviewed despite coming from directors of awe inspiring track records.

I am not defending Avatar here -- as you can see from reply#11 that I was disappointed as well. The first trailer was quite anticlimactic, and the second I found to be even worse. But if the movie has a 91% approval rating, then I am going to see it and reach judgment on the final product myself.

I don't always like movies with high approval scores on Rotten Tomatoes, but I find them at least interesting to watch.

Had this been a game on the other hand, I would have been in total agreement. Video game press scores mean almost nothing to me now.

edit:

One of the more negative reviews. You guys will probably find this an interesting take:

http://www.joblo.com/2nd-review-avatar

edit 2:

In general, while the movie does have a 91% rating, it seems most of the reviewers have given the movie a 3/4 rating rather than anything close to perfect. It seems the general consensus is that it is worth a  watch, but no one is denying the story telling is full of cliches.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »
And they have BluePeople™ that look like they were designed by an eight year old.  All the designs for practically everything look stupid.  I don't know who was in charge of the art, but he shouldn't get work anymore.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, December 12, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »
Speaking of Rotten Tomatoes, Terminator: Salvation has a 32% while Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines has a 70%.  I thought the last one was far better, with T3 being utter crap from beginning to end.  Christian Bale kinda sucked in T4, but the rest of the movie was solid.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »
I have to say. I'm getting slightly excited about this. I've been hearing lots of good things about it. At the very least, there will be some spectacular eye candy in it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »
On my flight out to Boston, I picked up a Wired.  It had this huge article about Avatar.  I'm pretty excited about it now, honestly.  This is basically James Cameron's Star Wars.  He invented the universe, had a linguist create a real language, created taxomony of plants and animals.  The world has like a 300-page encyclopedia.  He also had to improve on a lot of movie-making technology to make it happen.  It's going to be this big 3D blockbuster.  He talked about how other movies try to preserve the plane of the screen where it's still relatively flat but this will be 3D unlike any that's ever been seen before supposedly.  We'll see, but I think I'm sold.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
You people make me sad.  Enjoy your generic blue people.

(it should be noted that I really don't care one way or the other, I just like giving you guys shit... though I do still think it looks incredibly stupid)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
Did anyone actually see this on opening night? (a couple hours ago, depending on where you live) I have the chance to go with a couple people to see it tomorrow for a matinee showing, and we're wondering if it's worth paying $9.50 instead of $6.50 to see it in 3D.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 03:58:45 AM »
I hear the 3D is amazing.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 06:31:49 AM »
Did anyone actually see this on opening night? (a couple hours ago, depending on where you live) I have the chance to go with a couple people to see it tomorrow for a matinee showing, and we're wondering if it's worth paying $9.50 instead of $6.50 to see it in 3D.

I'd say go for the extra $3 and get the full experience. Even if it isn't worth it, at least you won't regret not having tried it. Plus if it is actually good, you will regret not getting your first Avatar viewing in 3D.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »
I've decided I want to see it in 3D just to know how the technology preforms. I want to know if it's the same shit we had before, moderately better, or something I'd like to see more of. All sorts of TVs are starting to support different forms of 3D and most of the time I've heard it being pitched it's talking about games. So is the tech worth it or is it a lame gimmick? Avatar is my chance to get a taste without buying an expensive television or something.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
The tech is very simple, really, and has been around in more primitive mechanical form for, oh, a century at least.  Each eye sees its own perspective into the world, and the parallax difference is integrated by the brain to give us a 3D view, or stereoscopic vision.  All that needs to be done is have 2 images captured from the appropriate perspectives, and supply each eye with the corresponding image exclusively.

There are different methods for achieving this with film, with the most recent one I know of being 2 overlapping projections with the light somehow polarized differently.  Eyeglasses filter out the opposite polarity and you get a mostly exclusive view of the correct perspective in each eye.

For TV, the old red/blue method I think sucks.  But what they're pushing now is a refresh rate that is double the frame rate, then having LCD glasses that ping-pong shutters so that each eye only sees the appropriate perspective.  (In practice, the frame rate would be 120 Hz, where each consecutive pair of images is 2 perspectives into the same scene and moment, and each of the images is fed only to the correct eye, giving you stereoscopic vision at 60 Hz.)  I have yet to experience this for myself, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work properly.  My only question is how bulky (and dorky) is the eyewear to make this possible?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 02:25:31 PM »
It's $12.50 here...

But a guy I work with went and saw it last night. This guy is the biggest movie snob I know, and he hated on Avatar before it was released. But apparently he really really like Avatar.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #33 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »
I want to see it in 3D, that'd be the whole point of the movie. It's not just about how it's presented in 3D, but how it was also filmed originally by Cameron. I really hope the movie banks so we can see the camera technology in future projects (an early version of the tech was supposedly used in Spy Kids 3D) and I have a lot of respect for Cameron.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #34 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 03:48:28 PM »
The tech is very simple, really, and has been around in more primitive mechanical form for, oh, a century at least.  Each eye sees its own perspective into the world, and the parallax difference is integrated by the brain to give us a 3D view, or stereoscopic vision.  All that needs to be done is have 2 images captured from the appropriate perspectives, and supply each eye with the corresponding image exclusively.

There are different methods for achieving this with film, with the most recent one I know of being 2 overlapping projections with the light somehow polarized differently.  Eyeglasses filter out the opposite polarity and you get a mostly exclusive view of the correct perspective in each eye.

For TV, the old red/blue method I think sucks.  But what they're pushing now is a refresh rate that is double the frame rate, then having LCD glasses that ping-pong shutters so that each eye only sees the appropriate perspective.  (In practice, the frame rate would be 120 Hz, where each consecutive pair of images is 2 perspectives into the same scene and moment, and each of the images is fed only to the correct eye, giving you stereoscopic vision at 60 Hz.)  I have yet to experience this for myself, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work properly.  My only question is how bulky (and dorky) is the eyewear to make this possible?
I wonder about durability.  Obviously the shuttering technique would be mechanical... though I suppose if they can achieve 240 Hz on an LCD, that the shutter itself could be LCD.  So maybe it's possible that it wouldn't be mechanical.  But the nVidia solution definitely sounded mechanical from the description.

You guys should really read the Wired article if you get the chance.  It's really cool, at least technologically.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
I saw it earlier today in 3D. Overall it wasn't really amazing, but it was pretty good. The story is sort of a been there done that scenario, though still done alright. There were a few surprises that I saw coming from a mile away, though they were still fun to see happen. The big blue people became much more tolerable than I expected, as they turned me off from the first time I saw them in trailers. Also, call me a pervert but that chick had a nice blue ass. Though her nipples were pretty much always hidden by a leaf or shadow that just happened to be at the right spot. The couple times when I thought it should definitely be visible, I couldn't tell if it was hidden by shadow or just not present.

At first the 3D was a bit weird. The first thing I noticed was the framerate, but that's probably just because it's been so long since I've seen a movie in the theaters that the 24 fps on the big screen sort of stood out to me. Also it just seemed weird that there was foreground and background stuff out of focus. In real life you can focus on what you want, and the rest becomes out of focus. In this I could focus on a background object, but it would still be blurry. I understand the live action stuff was probably filmed with 2 cameras and thus the focus is going to be fixed on one point on the Z plane, but it just seemed odd to me. Also lens flares looking closer to me than the rest of the image was weird.

I guess the big difference here when compared to previous 3D stuff is that it's not 1 or 2 objects lying on a separate plane than the rest. There's a couple super close-up shots of the main guy's face and you can tell different parts are closer and further away. Once I got used to some of the weirdness and oddities, I think it really started sucking me in and made a lot of the stuff seem more real, even in obviously not-CG areas. I'd love to see something done like this but with more camera work and less CG

The glasses I got are just a simple pair of glasses, like if you bought some cheap shades at a dollar store and put untinted lenses in them. If you looked at the screen without them, you could see the image was separated a bit horizontally.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
The glasses I got are just a simple pair of glasses, like if you bought some cheap shades at a dollar store and put untinted lenses in them. If you looked at the screen without them, you could see the image was separated a bit horizontally.

Still doing the polarized thing then.  It does work well.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #37 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »
At first the 3D was a bit weird. The first thing I noticed was the framerate, but that's probably just because it's been so long since I've seen a movie in the theaters that the 24 fps on the big screen sort of stood out to me. Also it just seemed weird that there was foreground and background stuff out of focus. In real life you can focus on what you want, and the rest becomes out of focus. In this I could focus on a background object, but it would still be blurry. I understand the live action stuff was probably filmed with 2 cameras and thus the focus is going to be fixed on one point on the Z plane, but it just seemed odd to me. Also lens flares looking closer to me than the rest of the image was weird.
That's an interesting note about the blurriness.  My brother mentioned it as well.  With regular human stereoscopic vision, things in your periphery or things you aren't focusing on aren't always blurry, they are less sharp.  And in this 3D movie, they are basically trying to simulate 3D focus, but it falls flat in the sense that if you want to focus on a different object than what James Cameron did, you just can't and it comes off as strange like you said.  I haven't seen it, but that's sort of the gist I've been getting.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #38 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:31:32 PM »
Lens flare? A movie trying to replicate 3D vision and they still have lens flares? Protip: your eyes dont produce those.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
Lens flare? A movie trying to replicate 3D vision and they still have lens flares? Protip: your eyes dont produce those.

Yea it was really weird. The one that really caught my eyes was two smallish circles floating across the screen and they were closer than anything else on screen, so they really stuck out.

And yea, the 3D is basically what we've seen before. But there's enough levels to it that it doesn't look like a bunch of 2D cutouts in 3D space, which is what all previous stuff like this has looked like to me. Once the movie got going I found myself almost swatting at flies that were in the foreground, thinking for a split second that something was really buzzing in my face. Though it's still odd to see someone in the foreground cut off at the bottom of the screen like some floating bust.