Author Topic: |||THE ULTIMATE MASS EFFECT 1 THREAD|||  (Read 75464 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Mass Effect Thread -- UPDATE: Delayed until Sept. 2007
« Reply #40 on: Monday, September 17, 2007, 11:18:29 PM »
Man, that was a good video! And it's coming out just in time for my birthday :D Now I know what I'm getting myself this year ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2007, 12:20:28 AM »
I honestly wasn't looking that forward to this game until I saw this video.  Now I'm trying not to sexually violate my monitor.

When did this go from coolish looking to omgIneedthatyesterdayawesome looking?

EDIT - As a side note, I think it's funny to mention that Julia recently played through like 6 or so hours of Jade Empire and she *hates* it.  She says it's gorgeous but there's like no point at all to the character development because the combat is worthless and she thinks the story is horrendously pedestrian and inane.  I think she didn't like the voice acting, either.  I just found it funny that I'm suddenly married to such a critic.  She's getting into games now to the point where she really has distinct preferences, and she didn't have that so much before we were married.

I agree! Don't mean to take this off topic, but I am one of those diehard Bioware fans, yet HATED Jade Empire. I thought the combat was CRAP and I really disliked the story.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 18, 2007, 01:59:02 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »
Heh, Julia will be quite happy to hear it.

In other news... I can has Mass Effect now? kthx

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2007, 02:06:57 AM »
The only reason I don't get a 360 is the warranty issue. The systems don't have a warranty here, and have a bad reputation.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
Nope, still not interested.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
I'm interested in both Mass Effect and The Witcher. It's just a matter of picking what I'll play first.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2007, 07:29:02 AM »
I'm between Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed.  I'll probably get both, but I still have yet to finish Bioshock.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »
I'm between Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed.  I'll probably get both, but I still have yet to finish Bioshock.
Assassin's Creed is a definite one for me, but for RPG's I'm really interested in Mass Effect and The Witcher (that is of course alongside Mask of the Betrayer). I just have to manage my budget and timing.

Speaking of Bioshock, I just played the demo and I'm sold. I am definitely buying this game (probably in the next couple of days).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, October 04, 2007, 05:57:22 AM »
Collector's Ed for Mass Effect for the X360 has been revealed

Mass Effect Collector's Edition details released

5 Comments by Justin McElroy Oct 4th 2007 8:15AM
Filed under: Microsoft Xbox 360, RPGs

Here's a bracing thought for your Thursday morning: Have we become spoiled by Limited/Collector's Editions? Take, for instance, the recently revealed contents of the of the forthcoming Mass Effect Limited Edition package.

* Fiction Book: Galactic Codex: Essentials
    * Mass Effect Art Book: A Future Imagined
    * 2nd DVD with exclusive videos about Mass Effect (Art of Mass Effect, Interactive Storytelling of Mass Effect)

Sure, books. Everybody loves books. But where are the cat helmets? Where are the gorgeous (though fragile) Big Daddy figurines? We can't decide if we're disappointed because there are no toys, or because the obvious choice (two girls made of pewter and totally doing it) is nowhere to be found.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Mass Effect Thread -- UPDATE: Collector's Edition for the X360 Revealed
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 09:14:47 PM »
"Suggestive" Sex Scene Spoilers With The Link To It...

It's not really not much more suggestive than what's in say Jade Empire...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #51 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »
I don't know about this... something about this stinks of sex starved virgin boy fantasy...   :-[
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 15, 2007, 05:22:48 PM by Jedi »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 10:34:37 PM »
 ... yeah.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Mass Effect gets 9.4 from IGN.
« Reply #53 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:03:09 AM »
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/833/833640p1.html

IGN does it again. The review just goes on and on about technical stuff that is deemed important, but doesn't give me the slightest idea of what it would be like to play the game.

The game begins with the creation of your Commander Shepard.

The review starts promisingly enough... which is actually just this line.

But then from talking about character creation, it just jumps to the disappointing AI, then the the team AI, then the classes and how ineffective commanding them is, then the morality system, then vaguely mentions how powerful the story arc is without talking about it, then a bunch of other crap... and we've covered two and a half freakin' pages, and the review hasn't told us what the damn game is about.

Seriously, if I had no clue about Mass Effect, I'd read the review and be totally confused. Especially as the first two pages or so don't tell me anything that gives me the feel for the actual game.

Of course, the characters you're sure to interact with have the most depth. Passing up the option to speak with your party members on board the Normandy in between quests would be a great mistake. Doing so reveals sordid pasts, hidden bias and can even result in a spark of love flaring up into a whole lot more. Talk with them enough and they may even open up to you in ways that give you new quests to partake in. These humans and aliens aren't just there to help you in a fight. They're there to help you make sense of the galaxy.

Make sense of the galaxy? How about we make sense of the review? After jabbering on for two and a half pages, I finally get an indication that the game may take place in outer space?

t's a good thing that such care was put into the quests and characters, because some of the exploration elements in Mass Effect aren't as fleshed out. Each of the planets you travel to as part of the main quest is fully realized with city centers to explore, NPCs to interact with, and intriguing missions. Not so for the uncharted planets tied to a number of side quests.

Thanks for telling me about the planets, but why am I traveling to them?

When you first gain control of the Normandy, an interstellar spaceship and the base of your operations, there are only a few star clusters and accompanying systems to visit and explore. More become open as you learn of them through info gleaned from the world or given to you with quest instructions. Through the use of a wonderfully designed galactic map, you can travel from system to system and have a look at various planets and satellites. Most can only be observed from afar and read about from text box briefings. Others can be scanned, awarding the player with some info or a reward to help you fulfill one of the numerous fetch quests. A small minority of the stellar objects can be landed on.

Why do you gain control of it? What are you doing? Who the hell are you? Jeebus.

Page 4:

All of this success doesn't come without a cost. The framerate in Mass Effect is as erratic as they come. This isn't something that happens occasionally. It happens incessantly. The game also has issues loading textures in when you enter a new environment. Flat, boring scenery gets filled in with details piece by piece for a few moments each time you load in.

We would be remiss if we didn't mention Mass Effect's numerous bugs and glitches. Clipping through the scenery is a regular occurrence, particularly when you make use of the singularity biotic. Shepard has a displeasing tendency to get stuck in objects, sometimes in the midst of battle. It happens to NPCs as well -- it isn't nearly as frustrating but it does kill your sense of immersion when an enemy "phases" through a wall. On occasion, the game stopped registering our button presses. Rarely, Mass Effect even went the whole nine yards and locked up. All of these bugs can be wiped away with a reset, but boy if they aren't annoying.

So yes the AI is horrible, the game is too difficult and this as well?

And who the fuck is Shepard? What is his background? What is he doing? What's the story?

Another Take
from Hilary Goldstein
Mass Effect is a fantastic game and one of my favorite RPGs I have ever played -- and I've played a lot of RPGs.

This just takes the cake.

One of my favorite RPGs I have ever played???

Seriously, I've read four full pages, and all I know is that AI sucks, the combat pales in comparison to action titles, the game is too hard, there are a lot of bugs and glitches... and yet they gave it 9.4 and haven't made anything sound remotely fun.

Yet again I'll have to wait for gamespot to actually learn something about a game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Mass Effect gets 9.4 from IGN.
« Reply #54 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:16:06 AM »
http://www.videogametalk.com/review.php?ID=778&PHPSESSID=53fbc4ac5aa9029190bf488effc4eb16

Video game talk gives it 9.0.

At the outset of the narrative, a human colony known as Eden Prime sends a distress call to the Alliance military and it’s intercepted by the SSV Normandy, an Alliance stealth ship using experimental drive technology. As the main character, you are sent down to the planet to investigate the invasion of a synthetic alien race called the Geth. When it’s determined that a Turian named Saren is behind the attack as well as attempting to unlock the universe’s oldest and most dangerous secret, you are launched into a heroic saga and epic battle to save humanity from extinction. And that’s just the opening! The rest of the review will be story-spoiler free.

That's just the second paragraph! I like this review better already.

t first glance, Mass Effect is an absolutely stunning example of the raw graphical power of the Xbox 360. Similar to Gears of War, the sheer level of detail will impress anyone within visual range of the high definition television it’s being displayed upon. The facial appearance, especially on the aliens, is top notch and brings each character vividly to life. The lighting effects for the biotic powers are brilliant and illuminate the area with gorgeous purple plasma power. The character animations are absolutely fluid and react appropriately with rag doll physics to changes in the environment.

There is a downside to pushing the 360 to these limits though. The frame rate can slow to a chug during the large scale battles, especially with lots of talent powers flying around. It’s enough to affect the gameplay and become annoying during a fight. It also can happen when you turn your character around too fast. The game pauses for a few seconds to load before you can continue. When you move too fast though an area or conversation, textures won’t load quickly enough and you may be staring at a blur until it finishes. I also had problems with the rover land vehicle on planets and the last few levels. Specifically when taken off a steep jump, the front hull of the rover would become embedded in the ground and I couldn’t move or exit the vehicle. I can’t imagine it’s designed to force reloading an old save, so it must be a problem with the hit detection system.

hehe, maybe this game would be more at home on a PC. :)

was surprised to find such a high level of commentary on bigotry and racism within the game. Many times, the main character is asked their opinion concerning the relationship of humanity to all the alien races in the world. There is even a political party rally towards the end of the game that wants Shepard to endorse their “pro humanity, anti-alien” candidate. Don’t get me wrong, it’s never preachy, overbearing or attempting to establish a correlation with current times. It’s just an ongoing debate on the direction humanity should take. I found it to be a refreshing, highly intelligent aspect of the story that’s rarely, if ever, seen in a video game.

I completed the single player game on a combination of Normal and Hard difficulty at character level 42 in a little over 23 hours. I’d imagine folks could possibly blow through the single player story in 12 to 15 hours if they avoided all the side missions, but they would miss out an enormous amount of entertaining material. For those who are wondering about the possible trilogy aspect, be assured that you will receive a clear, decisive ending to this portion of the tale. It’s extremely satisfying and still does a great job of setting up a sequel.

With a mass of achievements still waiting for me, I’ve already started working on my “evil” character, which is much more of a Biotic talent junkie. I am saddened to find out most of the character responses are exactly the same on the opposite end of the conversation spectrum, but it has opened up a couple new side-story options. Also, I’m very intrigued to change the main storyline choices that I made to discover the various, different endings.

Mass Effect certainly has flaws, but it’s easily the most enthralling space adventure that’s ever been created for a video game platform. It honestly makes the Halo narrative look like amateur hour. Much of the credit goes to a writing staff that incredibly created this world with nothing more than pure imagination. While Mass Effect isn’t a revolutionary step for Bioware, it’s certainly evolutionary. Combining the elements that made KOTOR so entertaining with a combat system that’s much more accessible to the teeming masses of shooter fans will make for a highly successful combination on the Xbox 360. I can’t imagine anyone being without a copy of Mass Effect this holiday season.

Well then, there you have it.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #55 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:38:23 AM »
Yea IGN's review is a mess that really doesn't tell you much about the game at all. 

Still, this looks like another must own game.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #56 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »
I have it preordered, so I can't wait to pick it up on Wednesday!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #57 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
Damn... a lot of what's said makes me wonder if I should hold off for a PC version later.  But... so tempting...

I don't know.  I think I have to wait to see.  I want to want it, but I'm not totally sold just yet.

Also, Pug's rant at IGN cracked me up.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 01:28:06 AM »
Haha that was a good gist of why I don't read IGN reviews too often :D Haha dude I can totally picture your reactions with each paragraph you read ;D

I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect but I'm going to wait for the PC release.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 01:33:58 AM »
It should also be noted that while I'm a huge RPG guy, Bioware RPGs have never quite done it for me in the past as some others have.  Because of this, I firmly believe that The Witcher is going to remain my RPG of the year no matter how cool Mass Effect ends up being.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:08:24 AM »
Damn... a lot of what's said makes me wonder if I should hold off for a PC version later.  But... so tempting...

I don't know.  I think I have to wait to see.  I want to want it, but I'm not totally sold just yet.

Also, Pug's rant at IGN cracked me up.

Haha that was a good gist of why I don't read IGN reviews too often :D Haha dude I can totally picture your reactions with each paragraph you read ;D

I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect but I'm going to wait for the PC release.

haha I was actually very angry. I had had a bad day, and suddenly saw the review and was quite excited. Next I found myself swimming through four pages of crap.

GameSpot
GameSpot gives Mass Effect the SAME score as The Witcher.
Score = 8.5

Eurogamer
Eurogamer gives it a 8.0

GameSpy
5 stars from GameSpy

There you go. 8.5 actually sounds like the score they should have given. Maybe they were scared after the reaction to the Assassin's Creed review.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
It should also be noted that while I'm a huge RPG guy, Bioware RPGs have never quite done it for me in the past as some others have.  Because of this, I firmly believe that The Witcher is going to remain my RPG of the year no matter how cool Mass Effect ends up being.

The Witcher is probably the best RPG since Oblivion.

Offline wizall

« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 06:41:38 PM »
It should also be noted that while I'm a huge RPG guy, Bioware RPGs have never quite done it for me in the past as some others have.

I actually feel the same way, Que.  I don't quite know why, but ever since they went full 3-d I haven't enjoyed their games as much.  I loved the BGs, though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
Yes, definitely.  Actually, The Witcher reminds me of BG quite a bit, which is partly why I like it.  But yeah, NWN, KotOR, and Jade Empire really didn't do anything to win me over.  I still have hope for Mass Effect, but I think I may have gotten a bit of a wrong impression about it during previews and such.  It looks less appealing to me now than it did a month ago.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, November 20, 2007, 10:08:39 PM »
Yes, definitely.  Actually, The Witcher reminds me of BG quite a bit, which is partly why I like it.
I think The Witcher reminds me of namely two greats, more so than anything else -- BG and PS:T.

Sure, The Witcher has plenty of its own going on, namely w/ the adult themes taking its course of the entire game, to name one thing...

But yeah, NWN, KotOR, and Jade Empire really didn't do anything to win me over.  I still have hope for Mass Effect, but I think I may have gotten a bit of a wrong impression about it during previews and such.  It looks less appealing to me now than it did a month ago.
I liked NWN Expansions, KOTOR, and Jade -- but not as much as BG2.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 12:27:41 AM »
Yes, definitely.  Actually, The Witcher reminds me of BG quite a bit, which is partly why I like it.  But yeah, NWN, KotOR, and Jade Empire really didn't do anything to win me over.  I still have hope for Mass Effect, but I think I may have gotten a bit of a wrong impression about it during previews and such. It looks less appealing to me now than it did a month ago.

I agree.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 12:45:36 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 12:51:28 AM »
You're either going to get ignored, or flamed.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #69 on: Friday, November 23, 2007, 09:04:57 AM »
i picked it up today and while i've only put in a couple of hours so far, i'm really enjoying it. it's beautiful to look at and the conversation system is utterly superb. it's a bit soon to say much else on the game, but if i were to draw any comparisons, i'd say it's like a more talky deus ex. i'm genuinely very impressed and i'm just hoping the quality is this consistant to the end - if it is, it could easily rank as one of the best games i've played.

anyone else given it a go yet?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 11:34:34 PM »
You're either going to get ignored, or flamed.

http://boards.ign.com/Message.aspx?topic=154326512&brd=8271&start=154357112

I was surprised, because I was thinking along those lines Que.

i picked it up today and while i've only put in a couple of hours so far, i'm really enjoying it. it's beautiful to look at and the conversation system is utterly superb. it's a bit soon to say much else on the game, but if i were to draw any comparisons, i'd say it's like a more talky deus ex. i'm genuinely very impressed and i'm just hoping the quality is this consistant to the end - if it is, it could easily rank as one of the best games i've played.

anyone else given it a go yet?

Now that you are probably further along, how is it shaping up?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 11:41:52 PM »
I posted my thoughts on IGN:

http://boards.ign.com/Message.aspx?topic=154326512&brd=8271&start=154357112
Good points all-round.

Haha your IGN sig still points to The Mind's Eye :D Good memories ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, November 25, 2007, 11:50:26 PM »
I WILL NEVER CHANGE IT!

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 02:53:36 AM »
as of now, pug, i'd say this is the finest rpg i've ever played. i've always prefered the sci-fi setting, so fans of more tolkien-esque themes may not feel the same way. i mentioned it briefly before, but the conversation system is amazing. it gives you so much control over who your character is and actually effects a lot of what happens in the game.

to give an example (minor spoiler), here's what happened when i landed on one of the many planets...
(click to show/hide)

there are many other examples i could give, but i just want to get across the almost limitless posibilities of handling a situation via the dialog. two of my friends have bought it now as well and they're in complete agreement that this is one of the best games they've ever played. i don't like giving any game too much praise for fear of dissapointing someone, but please someone else here pick it up, it's effing brilliant.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »
sorry for the double posting, but i'm so in love with this game right now. me and my housemate have been playing it pretty much non-stop on our respective 360's for the last few days. we're in agreement that is not just the finest rpg we've both played, but quite possibly the best game period. my housemate is a complete rpg fiend, owning every pc rpg (and a lot of console ones) i can name from the last decade, so coming from him this is very high praise.

i'd love to go into more detail, but there's so much fun to be had from discovering every new situation and stumbling upon events that you had no idea were there. also, there's loads of reviews around now where the writers have a far greater grasp on language than i possess.

if you are on the fence about this at all, please just get it. it's really, *really* good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »
*** still awaiting the inevitable "Coming to PC announcement Bioware will probably give us in a year or so..." ***

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #76 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »
Damn it.  I'm a sucker for sci-fi, but I just plain can't afford it.  I don't know that I'd feel your praise is completely accurate for my own situation given my past experience with some other Bioware games, but I *was* really wanting this one initially.  But at this point I just can't afford it.  I have basically no money.  Maybe 300 bucks that has to last me 4 weeks, and my credit card isn't paid off because for some fucking reason the idiots either haven't gotten my check or haven't processed it.  Either way I'm pissed.

In the end, I think I'd get Assassin's Creed before I picked this up.  I don't know whether or not I'd want to wait for a PC version, but that's reason enough for me to hold off now anyway.  Aside from the being poor as dirt thing.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #77 on: Monday, November 26, 2007, 11:49:06 PM »
*** still awaiting the inevitable "Coming to PC announcement Bioware will probably give us in a year or so..." ***

Hold your breath...  ;D

Think I'll pick this up this weekend and proceed to locking myself away for the world.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 08:23:48 AM »
we're in agreement that is not just the finest rpg we've both played, but quite possibly the best game period. my housemate is a complete rpg fiend, owning every pc rpg (and a lot of console ones) i can name from the last decade, so coming from him this is very high praise.
I'm sure that's high praise, but I would personally prefer to hear the opinion of someone who doesn't like RPGs all that much, like me.

It looks and sounds interesting, but the only RPG I've ever completed was Grandia II.  I lost interest in every single other one after 30 hours or less.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 02:43:20 PM »
I want to play Mass Effect, but I dunno....
I'm really looking forward more so to Dragon Age than a PC port of Mass Effect.