Author Topic: |||THE ULTIMATE MASS EFFECT 1 THREAD|||  (Read 75533 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Mass Effect gets 9.4 from IGN.
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »
It won't be a port for me.  This looks like my next must-have game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »
Even though Mass Effect is a Bioware game -- and I usually will highly anticipate and will buy Bioware games, when they hit the PC -- there's something about Mass Effect that is just not appealing to me right now.

It seems like too many RPG's are either going for the post-modern apocalyptic setting (Fallout series, The Fall: Last Days of Gaia, Metalheart), traditional medieval setting (list is too extensive for me to even begin) or way futuristic sci-fi setting (KOTOR series, Restricted Area, the upcoming Space Siege, Mass Effect, etc).

For different settings, I really liked Arcanum's "Industrial Revolution" setting.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 02:47:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 06:56:13 PM »
What are you talking about?  First of all, you've played like 800 billion fantasy RPGs and you aren't tired of those, and second of all... where are all these sci-fi RPGs you're talking about?  I can think of a few, but not *nearly* enough to indicate that there are too many, especially compared to the glut of fantasy stuff on the market, very few of which manage to differentiate themselves from one another in any meaningful way.  Besides that, a lot of the games you listed in your examples are either not released, or they totally blow (why would you even mention Metalheart?).

I think there must be something else bothering you about Mass Effect or you're just not a fan of sci-fi.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, November 27, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
Yeah D I would have thought you'd be on board with this like Knights of the Old-whats-its-face or Jade, but what really struck me was how you noted that so many rpgs are going post mod, sci fi or medieval... aren't those the 3 key settings for like 90% of all RPGs? Perhaps you're just tired of the genre? Does happen.

Anyway I'm probably going to get this game but I have two questions... If I liked Knight of the Old-whatever-it-was would I get a kick of this too? I'm guessing I will but I just wanted to make fun of Knights of the Old-peoples-home.
Oh and the one bad thing I've heard a few times now was about the tank and its turret, are the driving portions really all that bad?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
Yeah D I would have thought you'd be on board with this like Knights of the Old-whats-its-face or Jade, but what really struck me was how you noted that so many rpgs are going post mod, sci fi or medieval... aren't those the 3 key settings for like 90% of all RPGs? Perhaps you're just tired of the genre? Does happen.

Anyway I'm probably going to get this game but I have two questions... If I liked Knight of the Old-whatever-it-was would I get a kick of this too? I'm guessing I will but I just wanted to make fun of Knights of the Old-peoples-home.
Oh and the one bad thing I've heard a few times now was about the tank and its turret, are the driving portions really all that bad?

i never played the KOTOR games, so i wouldn't know. as for the driving portions of the game, it's hardly the best bit of the game, but i'd say that they add rather than detract from the experience. the controls can feel a little wonky at first, but no worse than halo's driving mechanism.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »
Pretty much, yes -- those are the main 3 settings for RPG's; post-apoc, traditional medieval, and sci-fi.

I did really like the Jade Empire setting, though. That was different and pretty cool window-dressing, for an RPG; and I liked all the mythology and lore surrounding the game, too.

I also did like the whole Greek mythology setting in Titan Quest -- even though basically that's just window-dressing for a hack-n-slash game like Diablo.

Yes, I did like KOTOR -- a lot, actually. Maybe that's part of my thing w/ Bioware and Mass Effect; that they're doing another sci-fi setting not too long after recently finishing KOTOR. Oh, and to add to that -- they're already working on KOTOR MMO, which will be out in a few years...

Hell, and I still got (Obsidian's) KOTOR 2, waiting for me, which is installed, but I ain't even began yet...

Also it probably doesn't help that I've played tons of sci-fi shooters, too....hehe.

Who knows; I'm kinda moody, I know. Maybe by the time Mass Effect comes to the PC, maybe I'll be in the mood for a sci-fi RPG. :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
compared to the glut of fantasy stuff on the market, very few of which manage to differentiate themselves from one another in any meaningful way.

That's what I hate about PC rpgs, or at least the ones in a fantasy setting.  They're essentially all the same, and they're essentially all boring.   The setting and conventions are so played out in most cases it they can't hold my attention for an hour, let alone 40.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
ok, i've just completed the main storyline.

while still excellent, i would have to tone down my previous appraisal of the game. the main storyline is superb, but it's a bit on the short side for an rpg. that said, it's probably the most fleshed-out and well written story i've ever seen in a videogame. i guess there has to be a downside to the near limitless ways to handle every conversation and situation in this game, and length is where it suffers. also, the side questing can get a little bit repetitive and a lot of it feels tacked on, with "dungeon" areas that are almost complete copy and pastes of each other.

the game feels like it could of done with another 6 months or so in development to work out these issues, but despite these negative factors, i stand by my original stance of it being the best rpg i've had the pleasure to play. the superbly realised sci-fi setting, the story, the amount of choice and the fun combat (which admittedly isn't perfect), add up to a game that wins my top spot for the past year. i'm just hoping that bioware make good on their promises to deliver some episodic content, as i'll most certainly be buying each new bit on the day of release.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #88 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 12:15:09 PM »

Found this on someone's sig. Made me laugh, because that is how the gaming community seems to react now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #89 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:02:02 PM »

Found this on someone's sig. Made me laugh, because that is how the gaming community seems to react now.

8.5 is a great score, according to GameSpot's standards.

Not every damn game is gonna actually be worthy of scoring 9.0+. That score (and above) should be only reserved for what they feel are the best of the best games around period.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #90 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:13:03 PM »
Damn, it's like Pug is performing guerrilla warfare against me or something.  He's always posting random images everywhere which cripple my Remote Desktop connection I use to browse the web from work, and now an animated image.  It took me almost 5 minutes to get out of the page.

Now I'm not telling you to stop Pug, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #91 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 01:34:54 PM »
I know you aren't telling me to stop or anything, but I am sorry. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 02:42:20 PM »
That's an unusual problem.  I mean, if animated GIFs kill your connection, what can we do about it?  I guess remote desktop needs to send each frame of the animation every time?  That's gotta be a bitch.  I don't think even idol is going to have anywhere near as much trouble with this.

Can you turn off images?  That's what I used to do when I was on a slow modem.  (I think it was 14.4, but now that doesn't look right for some reason.)  Whatever I wanted to look at, I'd right-click and display.

Edit:  Damn it, beo, I just went and got this while I was out.  Now you're backing away from your glowing praise?  Boo!  Fire him!  Down with reviewers that don't say what I want to hear!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #93 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »
No.  Remote Desktop pushes the whole desktop at you.  I think it only sends parts that change, but I'm not sure.  For whatever reason, it handles images horribly.  Animated GIFs that are short loops aren't too bad (seems to be some sort of caching going on) but long animated GIFs and Flash stuff is killer.  It's just not designed as a remote web browsing tool.  It works well at what it is designed for.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #94 on: Friday, November 30, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
That's an unusual problem.  I mean, if animated GIFs kill your connection, what can we do about it?  I guess remote desktop needs to send each frame of the animation every time?  That's gotta be a bitch.  I don't think even idol is going to have anywhere near as much trouble with this.

Can you turn off images?  That's what I used to do when I was on a slow modem.  (I think it was 14.4, but now that doesn't look right for some reason.)  Whatever I wanted to look at, I'd right-click and display.

Edit:  Damn it, beo, I just went and got this while I was out.  Now you're backing away from your glowing praise?  Boo!  Fire him!  Down with reviewers that don't say what I want to hear!

hahaha you made me laugh.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #95 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 11:18:03 AM »
Alright figured Id chime in on this since I put in several hours on it recently, so far I'm enjoying it well enough. The universe is extremely rich and theres just lore and details pouring out from everywhere, in fact, theres a little too much, your kinda overwhelmed by it at first and it can quickly scare away some gamers but I didn't mind it that badly. The same goes for the story, its politically charged and its actually rather intriguing, and the more you look up info about the various species you deal with and events and facts about the world, the more interesting it becomes, and the game gives you plenty of info but its all totally optional to look at so you choose how involved you get into the plot and thats pretty cool. The combat is interesting, its not say as engaging as the top tier shooter games, but its an RPG. Your movement is a little sluggish and you have to be patient when shooting. You can't just spray guys quickly, you have to shoot in spurts and let your accuracy regain, or if your exposed too much your shields will disappear and you'll have to stay in cover longer, other than that, it works well enough and you get some abilities which change up your tactics so things stay fresh.

I'm not sure Que is going to like this next part but other than those main points, the game paces and plays very, very similar to KotoR. You explore the main areas, acquaint yourselves with the local folk, get various mini-quests for XP, various characters will join you and I'm sure you develop your relationship with each of them, and you level your characters the same way you do in KotoR. You can choose to customize your characters stats yourself or you can have the game do it for you, which is what Im doing mostly, but not all the time. Its probably my only complaint so far, while KotoR is an awesome game, the formula feels a little stale but its not all that glaring as the visuals are amazing and exploring is still a treat at least. Im hoping as the game progresses, the game will open up a little more than KotoR did. So that's pretty much it so far, I took a little break as my battery on my controller needs a recharge.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
I'm really hoping Bioware reveals there'll be a PC port of this one, eventually...instead of the "no comment" answer they give.

I've liked most of BW's stuff -- BG series, Jade Empire, SW: KOTOR, and NWN: Hordes. So, I bet Mass Effect will be at least worthwhile.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
I still haven't opened my copy.  FF XII was eating up all my time, and now Burnout Paradise will be encroaching on that time for a while.  I will get to it, though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Mass Effect coming home in May.
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:43:14 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Mass Effect coming home in May.
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »
I was just going to post this. Its surprising that its coming so soon.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 09:57:39 AM »
When you look at Jade Empire's port, yes. But I think the KOTORs came as fast?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 01:26:30 PM »
Kick ass.  It will undoubtedly be cheaper than the 360 version, too, plus with extras (and hopefully the vehicle aiming thing everyone hated will be fixed).  Sweet.  I'll definitely try it, and I hope to God I like it better than KotOR.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »
I'm with Que on this.  I'm excited since it's gotten good reviews, but tentative because I've not liked many past RPGs.  KoTOR was alright, but it just seemed to drag on and on and I just lost interest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »
I'm mostly worried about getting past whatever initial hump there is.  I think I'd have liked KotOR if I could have gotten past the first area, but it bored me so damned bad I never did.  Everyone said it was just aces once you got past that, but I couldn't deal with it.  This seems at least *slightly* more action-oriented (even if not in terms of gameplay, in terms of presentation), so I'm hoping that helps things feel a little more kinetic.  I had a lot of the same problems with KotOR that idol did with NWN (and I had those problems with that one to a degree, too... I found it totally boring as well, despite my love of Baldur's Gate).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:43:16 PM »
I knew it would only be a matter of time!
Great news!!!

Will the upcoming Mass Effect DLC Content coming to the X360 also be coming to the PC?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »
We don't have any more info than you do D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 02:59:09 PM »
We don't have any more info than you do D.

I'll bet someone on Bioware's official boards asked it already. :P

EDIT:
Yup, they did. Bioware got no news for that, yet... :P

« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 03:28:08 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
I am pretty excited about this, but I have to say, the lead seems like a real bitch. His voice is kinda whiney, and he seems like a guy of below average confidence who grew a goatee to compensate or something.

I don't know what I am saying.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
haha pug you know you can customize the appearance of your character at the start right?

That aside, I got this recently for the 360 and it is pretty good.  Having tons of fun with it.  The vehicle sequences are not so great, but it is passable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
It's good to know Bioware has already confirmed it won't be a Vista Exclusive.

On Page 1
Quote from: Chris Priestly of Bioware
Although we don't have the system specs yet, I can confirm that MEPC will NOT be Vista exclusive.

On Page 3
Quote from: Derek French of Bioware
While we don't have system requirements yet, the game is currently running under Windows XP and Vista.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »
When you look at Jade Empire's port, yes. But I think the KOTORs came as fast?

I know I like to point this out a lot, but KotOR was initially a PC game (or they may have had simultaneous releases), but the PC game got put on hold as they dedicated more resources to getting the Xbox version out the door on time.  I remember this very well because people were quite upset that Bioware was 'selling out', and I was a bit pissed off I had to wait an extra 6 months for what seemed like an artificial reason.

That said, I'm excited for Mass Effect as long as it doesn't have the standard boring Bioware "black/white right/wrong" choices and characters.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 10:25:07 PM »
haha pug you know you can customize the appearance of your character at the start right?

That aside, I got this recently for the 360 and it is pretty good.  Having tons of fun with it.  The vehicle sequences are not so great, but it is passable.

haha... oh..

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2008, 11:46:41 PM »
Funny. Seems more to me like Mass Effect is going on a vacation in a foreign land. Face it, Bioware makes console games now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 01:20:11 AM »
Indeed. :(

Well their next two games are going to be PC. Dragon Age, which looks absolutely awesome, is a PC exclusive. And they are working on another I.P., that is some PC MMO.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 09:54:39 PM »
Indeed. :(

Well their next two games are going to be PC. Dragon Age, which looks absolutely awesome, is a PC exclusive. And they are working on another I.P., that is some PC MMO.

And, it rumored also Bioware might also be doing a KOTOR III (probably SP), which is NOT their rumored upcoming KOTOR MMO.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, February 14, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
I think that the KotOR news has been confirmed.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: Friday, February 15, 2008, 12:41:46 AM »
FUCK YOU FOR CONTRADICTING ME.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?