Author Topic: iPad? Really?  (Read 10982 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: iPad? Really?
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
Yea... I plan to buy one as well.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
Haha, brilliant.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
To ensure that its users receive the constant public attention they crave, the iPad will emit the phrase "Hey, does that guy have an iPad?" every eight minute

Haha :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, February 09, 2010, 10:35:01 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »
New info on Courier

Looks pretty badass.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
Courier looks awesome.  I heard about it today and am quite interested in it. 

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 01:45:35 AM »
I've been impressed with Microsoft lately.  Zune HD is apparently sweet, Windows 7 rocks, Winmo 7 is getting a lot of very positive buzz, and Courier could end up being just awesome.  I wonder what changed internally.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, March 06, 2010, 02:10:28 AM »
I definitely keep hoping Courier will be awesome, and reasonably priced.  It looks great.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
Swap 'sad' with 'amazing' in the following quote, and it makes better sense:

"Apple has been able to generate over $75 million in revenue in one day on a product that 99.9% of purchase0rs haven't touched or for that matter, even seen in person," said Victor Castroll, an analyst with Valcent Financial Group. "And, we're still three weeks away. That is amazing.''

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2010/03/13/day-1-estimate-120000-ipads-sold/

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »
Thats insane.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 11:07:11 PM »
Ah, the power of Apple...

R&D: "Any ideas?"

"Yeah - lets just make a really fucking big iPod touch!"

"Brilliant! *monkey noises*"

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
haha yea a few years later they release the same thing with a bigger yet still insanely inadequate HD space, and the drones will continue to eat it up.

To be fair, I think aside from the hardcore, this won't sell too well. We may get news on that once the hype dies.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
To be fair, I think aside from the hardcore, this won't sell too well.

= it will sell well. You underestimate Apple fanboys.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »
Yea "hardcore" probably means a few million...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
Hahaha, awesome.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »
I have one here at home now.  I'm to mess around with it until Friday to see what it is about, then it goes to the true owner at our company.  We got about 25 of them in the office now.  I work for a publisher, so I guess they are seeing what they are about so they can put content on there.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 08:33:31 PM »
I've been messing with this thing for the past hour.  It's just a toy.  A large iPod Touch.  It is too heavy and the lack of Flash support sucks.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
What's the fallout from the inability to multitask?  (How is that handled?)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
Still can't get over the lack of multitasking in their 'smartphones'.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »

Fallout? heh.

I own an iPod Touch and I like it for a few reasons: full web browser (minus flash support) and most importantly it FITS IN MY POCKET. No clue why anyone would want one of these.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »

Depressingly, probably 95% of people who use devices like this and smartphones aren't interested in multi-tasking at all. I read an interesting article on how it's not really a selling point and how most people don't use their devices to do more than one thing at once anyways.  Personally, I use it all the time on my WinMo phone, but MS is ditching it for Windows 7. 

The main drawback is the battery drain associated with multi tasking and possible resource drain.  The article, did however, point out that the answer isn't necessarily cutting out multi-tasking, but rather implementing a modern task manager.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 04:51:30 AM »
Basically, there is only one active window at a time.  You have to go back to the main screen to do something else, but it doesn't reset the program you were in.  It seems like Windows 3.11 where it faked multitasking by keeping background windows paused but you can pick up where you left off.

I haven't tried messing with music to see if that stops playing if you switch out of iTunes.  I would guess so, but I would have to defer to iPhone and iPod Touch owners for a certain answer to that since this thing is just an iPod Touch with a big screen, itself an iPhone without the phone.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 05:05:20 AM »
You're all lame. I really want this thing just because it's a new toy. Who doesn't want new toys? And the iPad has that awesome app store so it can be a toy that does more and more things the longer you have it. How cool is that? I haven't bought a new toy in years, it's time. Sadly I only have about $20 to put towards a new toy so the iPad or anything else is years away.

You know you're getting old when you see a new toy and have to ask what it's for.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
Trust me, this thing is a complete waste of money.  Even a die hard Apple guy I work with who was very excited about this release has said he's not impressed by it after having it several days and doesn't see a reason to own one.  His biggest problem was the weight but he also didn't see value in having a less portable iPod Touch.

For me, the only reason I see if for someone who doesn't have a Kindle and wants something that does that plus other stuff.  There is a (free) Kindle for iPad app and you can buy out of the Kindle store.  So this does the Kindle thing plus other stuff like casual web browsing.  That said, Jennie and I have a Kindle and I prefer it over the iPad as a ebook reader because it is easier on the eyes since there is no backlight and it is a lot lighter.  Plus the screen on the Kindle doesn't flip sideways if you hold it cockeyed or upside down if you put it on your lap like the iPad does.  Damn that was annoying.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »
Yeah, that is the thing - the Kindle uses e-ink...which is great on the eyes (and battery).  The iPad is still a bright ass high contrast screen that will cause eye strain, especially from excessive reading.

I can see uses for it, but still think it is a pretty big waste of money.  Browsing would be good if you are sitting around on the couch or whatever (you know...no need to rest your laptop or netbook on your legs), but I fucking hate touch typing, so that would probably kill it.  I also hate orientation flipping when unnecessary....really pisses me off on my phone, this would probably be the same.

As for multi-tasking, yeah - it is basically a suspend tasking system. On Apple products it is full suspension so they (maybe just some) remain open, but are cut off from using ANY resources.  On Windows 7 (as far as we know) it seems to be a hybrid where some apps will be closed all the way on exit, some suspended and cut off completely, and some are still allowed access to resources for things like database access (how they are cutting out copy and paste) and possibly stuff like Pandora music streaming while you are browsing the internet.

I still think it is bullshit....just develop a good task manager.  If third parties can do it and sell them for a dollar (or give them away) on Winmo 6.X and Android, I dont see why Apple or MS can not pull it off.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 04:00:15 PM »
So, when's IPad Version 2.0 coming out?

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
So, when's IPad Version 2.0 coming out?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:58:08 PM »
Next announcement: iPad Nano

It's an iPod Touch with an engraving of Steve Job's middle finger in the Apple logo.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
Could this device replace laptops and netbooks?  Obviously this first gen model probably can't, but if something like the iPad got some hardware upgrades, ports and expansion slots, fully functional browser, multitasking, etc. it could be something amazing.

Right now it's just a huge ass iPod Touch/iPhone, but I am interested in seeing what this will turn into further down the road.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
Ports and expansion slots are key, but I can't ever see this replacing a netbook or laptop.  First, it's still a completely closed system, and that would suck for a netbook or laptop.  Second, typing.  I don't give a shit what anyone says, touch typing will never replace a keyboard for typing anything longer than a paragraph at a time (Swype is about as close as you could conceivably get).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 12:23:36 AM »
Could this device replace laptops and netbooks?  Obviously this first gen model probably can't, but if something like the iPad got some hardware upgrades, ports and expansion slots, fully functional browser, multitasking, etc. it could be something amazing.

yea but then it just becomes a laptop/netbook... this device can't replace much as it stands.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »
I could see it replacing a netbook if cloud computing takes off.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 06:37:36 AM »
A flat panel cannot replace a real keyboard.  So it depends on whether the keyboard matters to you.  I can see the convenience factor here.  Something small and completely flat is easier to carry around and use casually on the go.  But it needs to ramp up to the full power of a PC to be a laptop lite.  As is, I have to agree that it's a toy.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
I love the idea of the product, but it's Apple. It's expensive. You have to buy all your shit from an app store. Blah.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
Right.  That goes without saying.  A real PC with no keyboard and a 4-point touch screen (and a virtual keyboard) in a minimalist enclosure would be something genuinely useful.  This iPad thing is something else entirely.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
The iPhone OS 4.0 was announced today with some interesting features.  Multitasking, folder 'grouping', and a social gaming network, along with other stuff.

It's going to be released for the iPhone in the summer; the iPad will get the update in the fall. 

It's a step in the right direction at least, but it's still a bit of a ways before I would consider getting an iPad.