Author Topic: iPad? Really?  (Read 10979 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: iPad? Really?
« Reply #80 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 09:29:53 PM »
Multi-tasking is a huge change.  Microsoft is now left in the dust with Windows Phone 7.  Now all apple needs is Flash support.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
The multitasking thing is quite different in the traditional sense.  I think instead they keep up to 7 threads open containing core processes that any set of applications might use and you can easily switch between apps on the fly because of that.  It's not true multitasking, but the way Apple is doing it apparently makes it to that it does not impact battery life.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: Friday, April 09, 2010, 01:40:50 AM »
I don't see how that saves battery life really.  Oh wait, so it's not like multitasking at all really?  Like I still couldn't open an app to stream music from pandora or last.fm, close it into the backround and check my email with it playing?  I could just switch between them more quickly?  I think that's how MS is planning on doing it as well...shit will be suspended for some apps, but it can't actually be running.

It's better than nothing, but it really wouldn't be so bad if some things could run in the backround, you know what I mean? Or at least have the option?  People could choose battery life or functionality like that.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, April 11, 2010, 07:11:28 AM »
I was able to play around with my friend's iPad for a few minutes on Friday.  Very neat device.  Overpriced for my taste, but I could definitely see it giving the Kindle a run for its money. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #84 on: Monday, October 04, 2010, 09:56:31 PM »
Has anyone had a look at the iPad yet? Impressions? I am just curious, I want to see this piece of crap.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 12:09:28 AM »
You know, I think if someone modified the iPad you could have a really awesome field tool for geology. I did some geologic mapping with a tablet PC equipped with a GPS and when it comes down to a an iPad would just be something with a nicer form factor, less weight, and a great screen (all big negatives of the current systems I know being used). You basically just have to sync some sort of mapping program to a GPS, which really just works like Illustrator but with more data attached to nodes. The iPad also has the plus of the accelerometer which means you can literally place the computer on a surface and get orientation data automatically combined with the GPS location. It'd be pretty handy.

The only real problem is the current GPS on the iPad might not be that great, but that wouldn't be a hard upgrade and I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a small antenna sticking out the side. I was working with a laptop card GPS that gave us accurate readings within a 5m radius. Some easy work would get that on the iPad.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 01:49:50 PM »
I still think the iPad is stupid and I whenever I see someone with one my first thought is "doucebag".

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Despite what I said earlier, I have to agree. I think a device like that has potential uses, it's just that they can't be done because of Apple's insistence on being so restrictive with it and, as a result, it's more or less a fashion accessory currently.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, October 05, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
I have yet to actually see anyone with an iPad. That could be due to how ridiculously expensive it is here. It's price ranges from $1150 to $1350 depending on the model. I did manage to find one in a specialty shop for $1000 but it was the 16GB model with only WiFi (no 3G support).

I think tactile devices in general would work well for my parents, so I can see something like the iPad being useful for someone like my Mom, who's not particularly tech savvy, but it's too extravagant (not that I'd spare any expense for my mother).