Author Topic: iPad? Really?  (Read 10978 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
iPad? Really?
« on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
I guess Apples naming department is still on christmas break.

Its a bigger ipod touch with a 9.7 inch screen. It'll run all the current ipod/iphone apps, and new ones can be written to take advantage of the screen size. The 10 hour battery life isnt bad, but the cheapest model costs more than a PS3.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Re: iPad? Really?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:35:02 PM »
What the hell is the point of that? I bought an iPod touch, and I like it. But Why do I need a giant one that is not as portable?

Mac douches will buy it right up I'm sure...

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
I thought it was supposed to be like a tablet PC... so not just a big ass ipod/iphone.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:54:22 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought as well.  I was certainly expecting more of a full blown tablet running OSX or something like that.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
You can hook a keyboard up to it, and it uses the OS that the iPhone/Ipod uses...

A freaking keyboard! This will revolutionize the industry.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
haha, one of the best responses Ive seen:

Wtf, I think I came from the future, because I already have one of these and it fits in my pocket.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
Well, that's crap.  Thankfully I wasn't very interested anyway.  I think Microsoft's book-like tablet thing may begin to pick up speed after this.  I actually think that one looks (potentially) cool.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
So why would you ever want this over an iPhone / iPod touch? What's the point of it?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »
I heard a couple of game developers have expressed interest in developing games for it... it could become another gaming platform.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
Just what we need, a super-expensive, underpowered portable gaming platform that isn't even convenient to carry.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
Well, that's crap.  Thankfully I wasn't very interested anyway.  I think Microsoft's book-like tablet thing may begin to pick up speed after this.  I actually think that one looks (potentially) cool.

Courier by Microsoft looks fucking fantastic, but no one has seen it in use yet.  The tech video could be mostly concept.  If they pull it off though; damn.

My girlfriend totally wants an iPad now, which I can kind of understand since she doesn't have a cell phone or PDA or anything like that, but I don't think it would replace her netbook at all.  More like something to browse on the internet with while just sitting on the deck and whatnot. I'd reccomend she just get a Touch, but I guess some people want bigger stuff if they're not throwing it in their pocket anyways (DSi XXL?). 

I CAN see the market for this, but I'm really amazed that this is what the Apple slate turned out to be.  It's a big fucking iPod.  That could change if a lot of great apps are written for it, but it's not a game changer - the HP Slate still blows it out of the water in every way imaginable. The Slate is a tablet, the iPad is something more like a toy. And Courier?  If it stays the same and comes out like that, it could be a game-changer.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
I couldn't really find use for the iPod Touch.  I'm not sure why I would want a bigger one.

And how is this supposed to compete with netbooks with that price tag?  I paid $300 for my little Dell.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
I think the big issue here is that support is huge for this shit.  It doesn't matter how good the other hardware is when every stupid twat software developer is out there making iPhone apps because it's the thing to do.

Still... I'm hoping the Courier does well.  I don't like Microsoft, but the concept had me kind of excited... I can actually see a lot of uses for it, and depending on the actual specs and whether or not there's good software for it (homebrew stuff would be epic), I could conceivably drop some change on one.

And if they make a 美人時計 app for it, I'm sold.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »
I could care less.  In fact, I'm sort of anti-iPad at this point.

The company I work for now is a 60% Mac environment, and I have really come to despise Apple stuff except for my iPod.  The OS has just as many problems as Windows has.  In fact, some of the problems are worse and just dumbfounding.  Here is a for-instance.  All Macs come with an Apple Remote Desktop server built in (except they call it the Apple Remote Desktop Client, which is wrong).  Think enabling Microsoft Remote Desktop on your business or ultimate SKU windows OS.  However, to actually utilize it, you need to purchase a product called Apple Remote Desktop Admin.  However, any time I tried to connect to a computer running ARD 1.2 (current is 3.3.2), it would FUCKING BREAK THE ARD ADMIN TOOL!  Like I'm talking not even dragging it to the Trash and reinstalling it does the trick.  No, I had to go into the command line and blow a bunch of shit away.  What kind of shitty programming is this?  Apple, you can't put in there "Sorry, you can't connect to ARD 1.2.  Upgrade the client machine."?

Macs also have trouble with the SMB protocol (the protocol used by Windows for sharing files over the network, also the protocol used by Samba on Linux) in version 10.5 Leopard and possibly 10.6 Snow Leopard.  People will be able to connect to some shares but not others.  There is no rhyme or reason.  It's not a permissions issue.  These same users can connect on 10.4 Tiger or a Windows machine to those same shares.  Apple support is mum on the issue or even blames Microsoft.  Nevermind that Windows clients have zero problems with this or that this same problem exists with Mac clients connecting to a Linux file server running Samba.  Or they will recommend turning on Services for Macintosh or installing ExtremeZ-IP to enable the AFP protocol on the Windows server.  Nevermind that when you do this it really fucks everything up because Mac locks files and handles resource forks differently when connecting AFP vs. SMB.  So if you have both (and you have to if you want to have Windows clients also using it), people will try connecting with both protocols and the files constantly get fucked up.

And don't even get me started on the hardware.   The hardware is just utter crap.  I can't believe how much they charge for this Made in China bullshit.  We got a Mac Xserve in today and the internal solid state drive was simply double-stick taped to the interior of the server case.  Can you believe that?  Of course it had come loose and was probably banging around in there during shipping.  Who knows what damage it did and if we'll have a short-lived server because of it.  No brackets, Apple?  Really?  This thing was over $7,000 and you couldn't give me a fucking bracket?

I have to say the iPhone was and is pretty cool, but I like the Droid better and it seems with Android the sky is the limit.  Their magic mouse is pretty nice too, but I wish it was shaped differently.  But fuck Macs.  Seriously, fuck them.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
^^^ I don't know about the ARD thing, since I don't use it. I *do* know about the SMB issues you're having, though, since I see those almost every day.

The problem is 50% Apple's fault, because the Finder is royally half-assed. However the problem is also 50% Microsoft's fault, because they designed the SMB protocol as their revenge against an uncaring world. Here's a shortlist of the things I hate about it the most:

* No atomicity (if an SMB transaction is cancelled halfway through, there is a chance of causing file or filesystem corruption). As a side effect, this means:
** You can't cancel an SMB transaction halfway through unless the request times out or you get a response from the server. Once you start a transaction, you are committed, and your computer must sit on its ass for as long as it takes (or else you risk data loss).
** Even if you wait for the connection to timeout, there's still a chance of data corruption.
* The protocol is prone to "half-open" connections where a server thinks it's connected to a client but the client isn't connected to the server. This causes file locking issues, and also will prevent the client from re-connecting to the server.
* The protocol is also prone to half-open connections where a client thinks it's connected to a server but not vice-versa. This will cause the client to hang for long periods of time whenever someone attempts to start an SMB transaction, since the transaction can't be cancelled until it times out.
* Speaking of connection timeouts, they take a ridiculously long time, and since they happen so often, you'll spend a long time waiting around for them.

Macs also have trouble with the SMB protocol (the protocol used by Windows for sharing files over the network, also the protocol used by Samba on Linux) in version 10.5 Leopard and possibly 10.6 Snow Leopard.  People will be able to connect to some shares but not others.  There is no rhyme or reason.

Try killing any .DS_store files you find on your Windows boxes. (This is definitely Apple's fault, and whoever developed the .DS_store deserves to be beaten with a shovel.)
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 01:12:35 PM by WindAndConfusion »

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 02:49:32 PM »
Ok, heres what I've gathered over the last couple days.

Pros:
Shiny, Responsive

Cons:
No Multitasking, App Store only, 500 bones for 16gb.

Why the fuck would I pay 500 bucks for a tablet when I can get a netbook? Netbook runs win7. Netbook has a decent amount of storage. And the iPad still uses a fucking keyboard. Why would you try to one up netbooks if youre just going to use a crap virtual keyboard instead of a real one?

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 03:04:29 PM »
One day you will play Starcraft on a keyboardless tablet computer, and all will become clear to you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Someday I will live in a screensaver; a beautiful tropical island. That will be my ultimate interface in life.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 07:05:10 PM »
Try killing any .DS_store files you find on your Windows boxes. (This is definitely Apple's fault, and whoever developed the .DS_store deserves to be beaten with a shovel.)
I don't know much about the .DS_store files, but I know Macs create them everywhere and I know you can disable Macs from creating them on network shares.

This is really interesting though because I know on one of the servers where several Leopard users can connect to some shares but not others, there are .DS_store files in the root of every share they can't connect to and no .DS_store files in the shares they can connect to.

Do you have any insight into how this contributes to the problem?  This has been perplexing us since we moved some shares over to a new Windows 2008 file server.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 28, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »
I'm not sure, but I assume it goes like this:

Finder connects to share, Finder sees .DS_store, Finder loads .DS_store, Finder does not realize .DS_store is corrupt or invalid, Finder shits its pants all over your favorite carpet and then dies. The problem isn't specific to SMB, and it can occur even on your local hard drive.

(Windows has an equivalent problem with desktop.ini, except a corrupt desktop.ini can render your computer unbootable even in Safe Mode.)

Can you mount and browse the share from the command line? If the command line works and the Finder doesn't, it's probably a corrupt .DS_store. If it's not that, the next thing I'd look for would be a half-open connection (especially where the server is connected to the client, but not vice-versa).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:29:17 AM »
Ok, heres what I've gathered over the last couple days.

Pros:
Shiny, Responsive

Cons:
No Multitasking, App Store only, 500 bones for 16gb.

Why the fuck would I pay 500 bucks for a tablet when I can get a netbook? Netbook runs win7. Netbook has a decent amount of storage. And the iPad still uses a fucking keyboard. Why would you try to one up netbooks if youre just going to use a crap virtual keyboard instead of a real one?

yeah, reaction to this doesn't seem to be so hot.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 12:44:24 AM »
What's really pathetic is that I've literally seen the following post like... a bunch of times in various places:

"Yeah, it kind of sucks.  It's like they really missed the mark.  It just doesn't seem that cool or useful, or different enough to be the big deal we hoped it would be.  But I know I'll still end up buying one."

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 01:30:45 AM »
haha yea I've seen that too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 01:35:44 AM »
I'm an insecure guy in general.  So it makes me feel warm all over knowing without a doubt that I'll never buy one of these.  Certainty is serenity.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:28:42 AM »
I has become clear to me a while ago that apple to doesn't cater to us. That's pretty much all I've got to say.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:49:57 AM »
http://mashable.com/2010/01/27/ipad-whats-missing/

I didn't realize how limited this thing was going to be.  No USB, no expansion slot, no multitasking, no full Flash support, no HD video support... the list goes on! 

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #27 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 04:05:02 AM »
I am not enough of a consumer whore to own an iTouch and that thing at the same time. Fuck, it costs the same as a ps3? I'd get one of those, but I don't even own an HDTV. Damn I'm poor.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #28 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 04:38:55 AM »
HOLY SHIT ITS KAMS

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 04:42:56 AM »
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #30 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
What's really pathetic is that I've literally seen the following post like... a bunch of times in various places:

"Yeah, it kind of sucks.  It's like they really missed the mark.  It just doesn't seem that cool or useful, or different enough to be the big deal we hoped it would be.  But I know I'll still end up buying one."

Requirements for addiction from the DSM IV
• Preoccupation with use of the [apple product] between periods of use.
• Using more of the [apple product] than had been anticipated.
• The development of tolerance to the [apple product] in question.
• A characteristic withdrawal syndrome from the [apple product].
• Use of the [apple product] to avoid or control withdrawal symptoms.
• Repeated efforts to cut back or stop the [apple product] use.
• Intoxication at inappropriate times (such as at work), or when withdrawal interferes with daily functioning (such as when hangover makes person too sick to go to work).
• A reduction in social, occupational or recreational activities in favor of further [apple product] use.
• Continued [apple product] use in spite of the individual having suffered social, emotional, or physical problems related to [apple product] use.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
A PS3 costs $299. A decent one of these with 3G and 64GB costs $800.

Really, for that much, you can get a half decent laptop.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »
PS3? Come on, Pug. You're thinking in the past. What this was obviously made for is board games.
If you've ever tried to play a board game on a games console, computer or mobile phone you'll know that it's just not the same as sitting around a table with your friends and family. Enter the iPad, the perfect device to play board games on.

The multi-touch display is perfect for moving pieces around a board and because the iPad is a computer it can store thousands of games and add a variety of interactive features. In addition to animated Monopoly playing pieces, for example, you could also use the iPad's Wi-Fi or 3G to play games with friends and family across the world. There's even scope to create an iPad board game that works with iPhones.

Imagine a Scrabble iPad game that used iPhones as letter holders. You could hold up your iPhone so that no one else could see your letters and when you were ready to make a word on the Scrabble iPad board, you could slide them on to the board by flicking the word tiles off your iPhone. What we're trying to say is that Apple has opened the door for people to create Jumanji-style games - music-filled, fun-packed experiences that can be shared in a novel way. The iPad is an interactive board game platform that could easily revive board game culture and introduce new generations to classic family games. It's up to developers though to take advantage of this opportunity and show us the future of family-based digital games.
Family-based digital board games. Because I'm sure there are lots of families that want to drop $499 (minimum) on the iPad, plus $796 for four iPod Touches so everyone can have their own little screen so they can play some SCRABBLE!

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #34 on: Friday, January 29, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »
New fun today:  unfortunately, we discovered today that Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, binding to an Active Directory domain, Microsoft Office 2004 or 2008, and the SMB protocol is a poisonous combination.  Snow Leopard users bound to Active Directory cannot save to SMB shares using Microsoft Office 2004 or 2008.  Or if they can, it is only on certain shares or is very flaky (as in it usually doesn't work but randomly does sometimes).

Now, this time at least Microsoft is complicit because it doesn't happen with other programs like Open Office or TextEdit.  But it harks back to Apple's completely broken implementation of the SMB protocol.  Linux has virtually no trouble with SMB.  Windows has virtually no trouble with SMB.  Hmmmm, Apple... must be you.

Of course as always no problems with AFP.  If only Apple would fix SMB or Microsoft would implement AFP.  But alas, it is not to be.

Did I mention that I hate Apple to you guys?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
Wait. This is bigger news. Pee Wee still lives?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member