Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 to be more of an RPG?  (Read 69207 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Mass Effect 3 to be more of an RPG?
« Reply #200 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
EA Responds to Mass Effect 3 "From Ashes" Day DLC.

UPDATE:
EA has provided us with the following official statement in response to allegations that the "From Ashes" day one DLC for Mass Effect 3 was on the disc:

"From Ashes is a 600 MB+ download with all new content, including the mission on Eden Prime, new dialogue options and conversations with Javik, new cinematics, the Prothean weapon, and new appearances for all squad members. All of the above content was completed while the main game was in certification and are not available on the disc."

"As stated previously, in order to seamlessly integrate Javik into the core campaign, certain framework elements and character models needed to be put on disc. We did something similar with Zaeed and Kasumi in Mass Effect 2."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #201 on: Monday, March 12, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
Okay, THAT'S probably PR spin.   Probably.  Maybe just a lie...but it'd be stupid to lie about the download size.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 01:02:50 AM »
Well, that's done. My thoughts on the ending. I'm trying to be vague without giving specific details, but better safe than sorry.

(click to show/hide)

Edit:
(click to show/hide)

Just finished it, going into spoiler talk here:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 05:50:53 AM »
I got as far as "unsatisfying ending", then chose to stop reading.  I've read other comments similarly critical about it.  What cracked me up was a guy saying he wouldn't be able to play any other RPGs anymore for fear of similar endings.  Haha!  Such a horrid fate!  So this thing has more serious issues than a rip-off business model?  Obviously you can't tell me very much without spoilers.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
For those w/ issues on kits being relocked in MP, this is from Chris Priestly of Bioware...

Some players are experiencing an issue where kits they have unlocked in multplayer are becoming locked again (eg. Alien kits, weapons, mods, etc).

You can reduce your chances of this happening by:

avoiding going into the Store while 'Ready' for a multiplayer match. It's best to un-ready yourself before you go to the store.
    not accepting invites while in the store/purchasing

We continue to investigate this issue and will update when we have more information. Thank you for your patience

EDIT:
Destructoid's DToid Show - At 8:40 - 15:00 -> ME3 Day-One DLC, Ending & Players' Rage Discussion.
Forbes -> ME3 and The Pernocious Myth On Gamer Entitlement.
G4TV -> Sessler's Soapbox -> His thoughts on ME3 Day-One DLC, The Controversial Ending & Same Sex Relationships.

EDIT 2:
IGN - Rumors of ME3 Multiplayer-based DLC possible coming??.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 04:17:29 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
I got as far as "unsatisfying ending", then chose to stop reading.  I've read other comments similarly critical about it.  What cracked me up was a guy saying he wouldn't be able to play any other RPGs anymore for fear of similar endings.  Haha!  Such a horrid fate!  So this thing has more serious issues than a rip-off business model?  Obviously you can't tell me very much without spoilers.

Honestly, I don't think the ending is as big of a deal as most seem to make it out to be but I'm probably in the minority there and most likely because I didn't really have the highest of expectations.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
Is the ME3 Ending as depressing as PST's Ending?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
It's not the worst ending in the world, but it just felt so stupid and unsatisfying to me that it really left me a bit cold.

And depressing wouldn't even be a bad thing. I would actually be pretty happy with a sad ending (heh). I just wanted a bit of closure and maybe a goodbye (think the ending of MGS4, the LotRs movies).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
Ahahaha.  I think most of the outrage is because of panel 2 there.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
Eh. With a few more days away from the experience I think less and less of the game in general and even more less of the ending. I just can't help feeling like the end was just lame but that's the biggest gaming news in the world right now so I won't get into it anymore than that. It is worth saying that leadup to the ending was pretty fantastic.

The game itself just lacked a cohesiveness and cleverness from the previous games. There were fewer hubworlds (I think there were maybe 3 non-combat zones not counting the Normandy), there were fewer interesting or fun moments (remember the biotic Volus?), fewer major conversation with your crew members, and it didn't occur to me until yesterday that Shepard lost nearly all neutral responses during conversation (it all became binary Renegade/Paragon). In exchange the combat was improved, I enjoyed all the new loadout options, and there was some really awesome combat sequences. Still, I wish some of the more subtle moments were preserved since those are what made the series for me.

Oh well. Still enjoyed the game despite being so down on it. Just disappointed a little in that it doesn't quite feel like it lived up to first two games.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
Eh. With a few more days away from the experience I think less and less of the game in general and even more less of the ending. I just can't help feeling like the end was just lame but that's the biggest gaming news in the world right now so I won't get into it anymore than that. It is worth saying that leadup to the ending was pretty fantastic.

The game itself just lacked a cohesiveness and cleverness from the previous games. There were fewer hubworlds (I think there were maybe 3 non-combat zones not counting the Normandy), there were fewer interesting or fun moments (remember the biotic Volus?), fewer major conversation with your crew members, and it didn't occur to me until yesterday that Shepard lost nearly all neutral responses during conversation (it all became binary Renegade/Paragon). In exchange the combat was improved, I enjoyed all the new loadout options, and there was some really awesome combat sequences. Still, I wish some of the more subtle moments were preserved since those are what made the series for me.

Oh well. Still enjoyed the game despite being so down on it. Just disappointed a little in that it doesn't quite feel like it lived up to first two games.

Why are there such a lack of hub-worlds in ME3?  :o
As much as I loved ME2, I wish there were more cool hub-worlds in that game.
To hear they did more of the same there w/ ME3 - man, how disappointing that sounds...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
Yeah, I think they were knocked out as part of the streamlining initiative that they dedicated themselves to after the first game.  To be honest, I kinda liked that because the Mass Effect sidequests always kinda sucked ass anyways..which is kinda what hub worlds are all about.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
On a related note, the Mass Effect related twitter accounts are basically trolling the fanbase now and kind of pretending they have something up their sleeves.  They probably don't, but the general consensus I've read from the fans is "Well, if they do have post ending DLC I'll pretty much HAVE to buy it.....damn them."

The best thing they could do at this point would be release something for free that's well though out and obviously was planned before hand, but I really doubt that's going to happen.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #215 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »
So far the only comparison for a "fix the ending" would be Fallout 3. BethSoft handled by bundling the new ending with the Brotherhood of Steel DLC.

In the case of ME3 I think to pay for a DLC that does nothing but the ending should be in a patch or a free update. If they cleverly bundle it with a larger DLC/expansion they could see some appreciation from the fans, gladly ponying up the cash for it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #216 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
Interesting comparison.  I waited until the GotY of FO3 with all DLCs too, including BoS.  I already said I was going to wait on ME3 anyway.  It would be cool if they improved the end game like Beth did with Fallout.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #217 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Interesting comparison.  I waited until the GotY of FO3 with all DLCs too, including BoS.  I already said I was going to wait on ME3 anyway.  It would be cool if they improved the end game like Beth did with Fallout.

Interesting comparison indeed:  I was far more disappointed with the ending of Fallout 3 than I was here.  Might just be me.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #218 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
I'm sort of the opposite. The ending of Fallout was more about closing a single quest line than anything else. I was far more invested in the world itself than the characters and your story.

I never did buy Brotherhood of Steel. I know that changed the ending, but wasn't it more so that the game didn't end and continue on rather than the full on redo that people are whining for with Mass Effect?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #219 on: Thursday, March 15, 2012, 01:34:26 PM »
Well, I finally finished ME3

I don't get what all the fuss was about. I liked it, the end was not fantastic but it was satisfactory. I guess people were expecting something like in Dragon Age: Origins, with passages telling you what happened to your friends and what became of certain things you influenced.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #220 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 12:04:01 AM »
X was it as bad as NWN2? (Which had me shouting)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #221 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 05:07:57 AM »
I don't remember NWN2.. Which should be a clear sign it was not a memorable experience.. Except for the plethora of bugs when it was first released.

I didn't mind the ending of ME3 so much. I agree I would have liked to know what happened to my companions but it resolved the main plot: Reaper threat.

If I had to pick a favourite, I'd go with Mass Effect 1. Usually the introduction to a new universe is what catches me. In terms of overall gameplay I like ME3, Bioware have tweaked a lot of the mechanics and uned Shepard's movements. I do kinda miss hacking terminals and door locks though. That omission in ME3 kinda sucked. I am glad they got rid of the Mako segments and the tedious planet-scanning/probing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #222 on: Friday, March 16, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
ME3 Ending
NO SPOILERS
GameSpy -> Ken Levine (of Irrational Boston) would be "Sad" if BioWare changed the ME3 Ending.
Destructoid -> Jim Sterling - Jimquisition: The Positive Side Of ME3's Ending Drama.
Destructoid -> What some of their readers thought of ME3's Ending.
Destructoid -> BioWare will discuss things about the ending LATER...once more gamers get there.
Destructoid -> Jim Sterling's Jimquisition - On ME3: Changing a game's ending and destroying art.
Destructoid -> Sophie Prell - Why BioWare should change the Mass Effect 3 ending.
ME3 SPOILERS IN BELOW LINKS:
TheVerge.com -> Adam Sessler of G4TV; Kevin Van Ord of GameSpot; and Francesca Reyes of Official X-Box Magazine discuss the ME3 Ending, Narrative & Controversy.
Destructoid -> Why ME3 Haters Need To Calm Down.
Bioware Social Club -> Casey Hudson of BioWare speaks on the conclusion of ME3.
Shacknews -> ME3 Post-Ending DLC Teased by Bioware...possibly.
Penny Arcade -> Their thoughts on the ME3 Ending.
GameSpot -> ME3 Guide on War Assets + MP.
RockPaperShotgun -> Was ME3's Ending predicted by ME1?
G4TV -> Feedback - ME3 Ending Round-Table Discussion.
GameSpot -> What Just Happened? The End of ME3 Confessionals

MP Stuff
PC Gamer -> ME3 MP Data released; Events planned for ME3; First Event this weekend.
G4TV -> Cancelled ME Multiplayer FPS, which eventually became ME3's MP.

FemShep Stats
Kotaku -> Only 1 of 5 players play ME3 as FemShep.

Day 1 DLC
Forbes -> Brent Knowles (former developer of Bioware) on Day 1 DLC.

EDIT:

GeForce -> ME3 PC Version Tweak Guide for NVidia video card users.
HardOCP -> Benchmarking ME3 PC.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 03:19:27 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
Oh get over yourself.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #225 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
It'll be really interesting to see what they do here, and thy have to do SOMETHING.  The amount of backlash is amazing to me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Friday, April 06, 2012, 05:00:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #227 on: Friday, April 06, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
It's funny, the ME3 debacle has really made me think that most hard core video game fans are just pieces of garbage. I don't know if anyone here ever listened to Keith and the Girl, but Keith would sometimes go off about videogame/comic/whatever fans.  See, he liked all these things, but would just rant about how you can't please these elitist assholes. This reminded me of it.

Sure, the ending blew, and there were problems with the games, but Bioware announces free MP DLC this month and "They should be putting the resources towards fixing the SP ending...of their GODDAMN SINGLE PLAYER GAME SERIES. RAR!".  A day later, Bioware announces free SP DLC to fix the ending, but "THEY EITHER PLANNED THIS FROM THE BEGINING AND ARE HUGE TROLLS, OR ARE JUST PANDERING! THEY'VE REALLY LOST IT".

C'mon Dawgs.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 04:01:26 AM »
Agree with GPW.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
It's funny, the ME3 debacle has really made me think that most hard core video game fans are just pieces of garbage. I don't know if anyone here ever listened to Keith and the Girl, but Keith would sometimes go off about videogame/comic/whatever fans.  See, he liked all these things, but would just rant about how you can't please these elitist assholes. This reminded me of it.

Sure, the ending blew, and there were problems with the games, but Bioware announces free MP DLC this month and "They should be putting the resources towards fixing the SP ending...of their GODDAMN SINGLE PLAYER GAME SERIES. RAR!".  A day later, Bioware announces free SP DLC to fix the ending, but "THEY EITHER PLANNED THIS FROM THE BEGINING AND ARE HUGE TROLLS, OR ARE JUST PANDERING! THEY'VE REALLY LOST IT".

C'mon Dawgs.

Just yesterday, I glanced at 2 user reviews of the same movie.  One gave it a 10, the other a 1.  One said the movie was haunting and poetic; the other said it was possibly the worst British film of last year.  At least one of these people is a moron or a liar.  The problem is that, without seeing the movie, I don't know which one.  (I don't read spoiler-tagged reviews, so I can't get any hints that way on the second one.)

The sum of all opinions on the internet is zero.  The people clamoring for a beefed-up ending in ME3 are not the same people accusing Bioware of shenanigans or caving in.  Yes, there are many morons in the mix, and they muddy the waters so much that it's hard to find the substantive commentary.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 07:25:47 AM »
The worst case is when a few bad apples ruin something for the rest.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #231 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
Oh, this bites for ME3 PS3 owners.
The MP Events that ME3 has been having [often on weekends] is only being run on PC and X360 currently b/c Sony hasn't approved of these events, for some reason...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #232 on: Friday, April 20, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #233 on: Friday, May 04, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Finally played through the game.  Overall, combat was fantastic and the storyline was good.  Character development wasn't as good as it was in the past.  You could tell it heavily relied on ME1 and ME2 with most characters.  The sidequests were boring.  Basically, go exploring in the galaxy, find random shit, then walk around in the Citadel and try to talk to everyone.  Eventually, someone will take it and pay you for it.  Rinse repeat like 50 times.

(click to show/hide)
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #234 on: Friday, May 04, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
I'm about 10-11 hours into ME3 PC...and the game's been awesome, so far.

Improvements over ME2:
ME2 has no inventory, while ME3 has a mini-inventory that can be accessed...at certain locations, times, and places.
Picking up a new weapon while in a mission, lets you access your inventory on the fly, if you want.
The more weapons you carry, the more speed penalties you have on your player b/c it goes by weight - this is just an interesting new gimmick. Want more speed, carry light.
You can also upgrade and modify weapons WAY much more than ME2, as well.
More skills to upgrade - and even then, you're given choices on buffing that certain skill one direction or another; you have to make a choice and live w/ it.
Addition of being able to do a combat roll when in combat - you can additionally also even do this while in cover.
You can do stealth-like kills while in cover.
Melee is WAY more useful than in ME2.

Annoyances:
Lack of graphics options and bells and whistles. Even the game's config, it doesn't have much there. Your best off bumping everything up via your video card's software settings, if you got a good PC.
And yes - looks much better, if you do it through your vid-card's control center [software].

Offline shock

• Poster Child
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, May 05, 2012, 12:46:19 AM »
So I started playing ME2 again in preparation for ME3 using ME1 save files. Brilliant Brillaint game. Having a blast. Can't stop playing. I have bought ME3 though.

I am a little confused and don't care about doing research. The fact that I have bought ME2 from Origin means I get all that day 1 DLC, correct?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, May 05, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
So I started playing ME2 again in preparation for ME3 using ME1 save files. Brilliant Brillaint game. Having a blast. Can't stop playing. I have bought ME3 though.

I am a little confused and don't care about doing research. The fact that I have bought ME2 from Origin means I get all that day 1 DLC, correct?
The Cerberus Network DLC's came w/ ME2 Retail Copies [Reg and Digital] and ME2 Digital Deluxe.

From what I'm reading...
If you bought ME2 Digital Deluxe digitally from Origin, check your e-mail account tied to Origin.
Look for an e-mail from EA w/ the Cerberus Network DLC code.
If you can't find it, take it up w/ EA Support that you never received The Cerberus Network DLC.
You'd have to register those onto your Bioware Social Account so you can get access to download them.

Here's the list of The Cerberus Network DLC's, since there are a handful of DLC's w/ that..
Normandy Crash Site
Zaeed - The Price of Revenge
Cerberus Weapon and Armor
Arc Projector
Firewalker Pack

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, May 05, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
Sorry I mean ME3. What about 'From Ashes'. That's crap that I have to buy it!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, May 05, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Sorry I mean ME3. What about 'From Ashes'. That's crap that I have to buy it!
Even worse when EA and Bioware make it a bitch to buy from certain regions.