Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 149093 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »
My wooden collector's edition should arrive in a couple of days. Yay and stuff.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Gametrailers' review explicitly states that the PC version is pretty much the version to play as the console version has some shortcomings in its UI and camera control.

It's rare nowadays to see a PC version of a game being the superior version.  Unfortunately, I no longer have a computer capable of running the latest games... 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »
This sorta sucks. I'm kind of miffed about the same issue in Borderlands. You either carry it on you taking up your very small inventory space, or you sell it. There is no place to stash stuff.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Well Giantbomb, congratulations... you're the first people to make me want this game.  I watched the GSpot video review first and actually thought, "Why does this game look so lousy?"  They must have been showing the console version.  The Giantbomb review actually showed the PC interface, which looks vastly superior, and the character models looked significantly more cohesive.

I still have some issues with character design and potentially with some of their other design choices, but in the end I'm betting that this stuff will have more contextual relevance in-game.  Now that I've actually gotten to see some of what the game seems to want to do, I'm kind of... sold.  It was pretty hard not to get a little excited watching all that stuff.

Damn it.  I don't need another game to play.

But again, this is sort of what I expected to happen.  Those video reviews showed a game that was exactly 100% nothing like everything I'd seen regarding the game up until now.  Worst fucking ad/preview campaign ever.

EDIT - A much more sobering review from Eurogamer.  These are some of the things that have been in the back of my mind.  I don't always agree with Eurogamer, however, and often find them to be overly critical.  Still, these are concerns that bear noting, but in the end I don't know that it makes any difference.  As an old-school PC RPG player, what I've recently seen indicates to me that I'm practically obligated to try this.

Fucking internets.  Stop making me spend money.

NO. Que....you have one videogame obligation for at least the next two months, and that is Borderlands.  This shit can wait until it hits the bargin bin, alright?  Dragons are gay anyways and they don't give you guns.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 03:37:39 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
I will totally be pirating that DLC as soon as I can.  Fuck EA in the ass.

And no worries, gpw, I'm still a Borderlands addict.  I am far from interested in abandoning our ongoing murderfest.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »
I'd like to try some Borderlands MP some time, now that I've ran through the SP completely (with Lilith).

About DAO - the whole ordeal w/ the DLC is crap. I just know sometime down the line, there'll be a DAO - Gold Edition that'll come w/ a bunch of DLC.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, November 03, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
Goooood.

Actually, I'm kinda tempted to try this, even though PC RPGs don't really do it for me....especially this kind of fantasy stuff.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #168 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 12:33:04 AM »
I will totally be pirating that DLC as soon as I can.  Fuck EA in the ass.

And no worries, gpw, I'm still a Borderlands addict.  I am far from interested in abandoning our ongoing murderfest.

All the DLC is already on the torrents. That's what I will be installing when my copy arrives.

I have no qualms about doing this, which is why the DLC situation didn't really bother me.

Anyway, the major DLC you want to get a hold of is Warden's Keep, which is basically a storage place for your loot.

I'll be getting about 6 pieces of DLC with my CE. I don't have any problem uploading the install files for you guys.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 12:38:21 AM »
That whole DLC thing is bullshit.  NEW RULE: If you start making something before the game goes gold and you can have it out on release day it's goddamn free. You can't respond to criticism of your pre-release product with another product people have to pay for and treat that as a solution.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »
Absolutely.  DLC is just a way to gouge people.  I have no problem with paying for something legitimate (like one of the better Fallout 3 mini-expansions), but shit like this?  Forget it.  And even with DLC that's reasonable I'll still wait for a retail release if I can.  I got all the Fallout 3 stuff by buying the GOTY edition of the game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 12:44:26 PM »
That's the thing - DLC has the potential to be great.  Imagine something like Shadow of the Colossus, where there could be a pack with 2 more colossi or something.  Nothing story related, just a diversion.  I'd pay for that kind of shit, but a lot of what is out there seems like garbage.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »
Absolutely.  DLC is just a way to gouge people.  I have no problem with paying for something legitimate (like one of the better Fallout 3 mini-expansions), but shit like this?  Forget it. And even with DLC that's reasonable I'll still wait for a retail release if I can.
I agree 100%.

If they can sell a bunch of DLC in a retail box for a fair pricing amount - yeah, count me in. I thought it was fine for most of Oblivion's DLC to come equipped inside of the KOTN Expansion box - which they priced as an expansion. SOLD.

I got all the Fallout 3 stuff by buying the GOTY edition of the game.
I will be buying Fallout 3: GOTY sometime down the line for the PC - when that Edition hits expansion pack pricing. I want all that extra DLC content.

I really am excited for some Borderlands DLC more than any other DLC right now. I just need more info on how much content will actually be stuffed in The Zombie Island of Dr. Zed (DLC #1).

EDIT:
4 1/2 stars from GameSpy.

The second piece, Warden's Keep, can be completed in under an hour, but it's quite entertaining and offers you some neat bonuses, like a party inventory stash and useful vendors.
Warden's Keep DLC can be finished in under an hour?
And this costs $7?
That should've just been made part of the game...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 06:24:09 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »
Warden's Keep DLC can be finished in under an hour?
And this costs $7?
That should've just been made part of the game...

I think Que's been saying that (though perhaps more colourfully) since we first heard about DLC coming out with the game.

This looks like it's just going to be another round of Horse Armour.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, November 04, 2009, 07:39:37 PM »
I think Que's been saying that (though perhaps more colourfully) since we first heard about DLC coming out with the game.

This looks like it's just going to be another round of Horse Armour.

It's a shame that a game that this long epic game is being regarded as very good to great by reviewers (and it probably really is, I bet) is also being riddled w/ such crappy extra DLC quick money-grabs like such.

This quick money grab is some shit that could've been included - hell, ALL THREE DLC's - could've been included in a FREE patch or something.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
I'm like 5 or so hours into the game right now and it blows me away.  I never got into NWN or Baldur's Gate, save playing it for a few hours back in the day, but Dragon Age is excellent -- like, downright awesome.  For the first hour I thought that maybe it's just me and I can never get into oldschool, hardcore PCRPGs, because it seemed like the same slow-paced, overly-complicated stuff that turned me off in the older games.  I saw it through, though, and turns out it is decidedly not slow-paced, or even complicated at all.  I was hoping for something similar to Mass Effect, which in the back of my mind, I knew it wasn't, but I am happy that I didn't let my faith in BioWare falter because they made me a huge fan of this genre with this game.  Thanks to it being so accessible, now maybe I can go back and play some of the ones I missed and not be confused or turned off by pacing.

The graphics are great on PC.  It's no Mass Effect, but it doesn't look bad by any standards.  The thing is just so well-done you can't help but be completely enveloped in the world.  I haven't checked out the review at Gamespot yet, but it is more deserving of the "sucks you in" badge than any game I've played since those silly badges arrived.  Example?  When I first met Morrigan (some mage chick), I thought "Ooh, a chick in the party.  Finally, I've been talking to dudes for 5 hours, maybe I can mack it with her, but I need some smooth lines for her to start feelin' me."  At which point reality snapped back and I'm thinking "What the fuck am I talking about?  Good thing nobody can read my mind."

I played yesterday from 5pm until about 8pm, took a World Series break, and went right back in until about 4am.  The concept of time disappeared and I really couldn't stop playing, even when my eyes had dried into raisins.  This is coming from a guy who never enjoyed the genre and who really never enjoyed mythical tales of dragons and ridiculous accents.

If you have ANY interest in PCRPGs, pick this up.  If you have NO interest in PCRPGs, pick it up anyways.  Unless it really, really chokes Ryan Howard-style, the game has been fucking awesome 5 hours in.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 03:03:07 PM »
I don't know what I am excited about more... a positive experience with Dragon Age from a OW community member, or the return of PoomC.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »
Haha seriously dude, haven't seen you in forever!

I'm digging what I've played so far too, though I've only managed to get in a little over an hour.  But thus far it's impressed me simply by being nothing like it was portrayed to be all the way until they let people review it.  It's a very thoughtful presentation, and the game lets you move slowly and really chew through the meat to gnaw on the bones a little.  It's got a better sense of depth than any of their past fantasy games just in terms of the set design and such, so that's cool.  I can't really say a whole lot yet, but thus far I'm just happy that the tone appears to be serious without being ham-fisted and there's some good writing in there.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, November 05, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Poom! Good to see you. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #179 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »
Patch released for PC version.

Dragon Age Patch Fixes Minor Bugs, Alters Difficulty
New patch increases stats for all party members on normal difficulty, makes easy difficulty easier.
By Kat Bailey, 11/06/2009

PC players struggling with Dragon Age's difficulty will be receiving a small boost today. BioWare has released a small patch that not only fixes a few minor bugs, but slightly increases party stats as well.

The new patch slightly increases attack, defense and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty, and makes the Easy difficult easier. It also fixes a problem involving the potential corruption of character statistics.

Here's the complete list.

* Fixed potential corruption of character statistics

* Fixed portrait appearance sliders when importing a character from the downloadable Character Creator

* Fixed import for preset face settings from the downloadable Character Creator

* Made Easy difficulty easier

* Slightly increased attack, defense, and damage scores for all party members at Normal difficulty

* Fixed video issues when running on a very wide screen display, including ATI Eyefinity displays

If you picked up the game on Steam, it should automatically update. Otherwise, the patch can be found on FileFront.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #180 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

This worries me a bit

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #181 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 06:14:49 PM »
LOL GPW.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #182 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 08:43:14 PM »
Just buy it on PC and pirate* the shit out of the DLC.

*it isn't piracy when that probably should have been ours in the first place.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »
Yeah, I heard that the game will actually have a quest giver talk about the DLC quests and has a little "purchase DLC" button or something. Kind of goes against the whole "We made this after the game went gold/through cert!" thing.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #184 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
Yeah, that fucking pisses me off.  I had absolutely no idea about this until a rude awakening a bit ago.  I will not be purchasing any DLC for this game simply because of that.  Not even because I generally get annoyed by DLC, but because they throw in total immersion-breaking, world-breaking bullshit like that and basically ruin what's an otherwise great game from what I've played so far.  Honestly, if I actually could, I would probably return the game just because of that.  And if I'd had any idea beforehand, I certainly would never have purchased it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #185 on: Friday, November 06, 2009, 10:07:42 PM »
Yeah, I heard that the game will actually have a quest giver talk about the DLC quests and has a little "purchase DLC" button or something. Kind of goes against the whole "We made this after the game went gold/through cert!" thing.

That's immersion-breaking.
WTF?!?!?!?

EDIT:
In better news - DAO Toolset released for game owners.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 06, 2009, 10:34:31 PM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »

That is fucking absurd. Really crazy.

What happens at the sex scene?

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE TEH BOOBIES PLEASE CLICK TO CHARGE $20 FOR TEH BOOBIES

*click*

THAT IS ONE BOOBIE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE SECOND SLIGHTLY BIGGER AND EVEN BETTER BOOBIE PLEASE CLICK AGAIN TO CHARGE $20 MORE

*click*

GO LOOK IN THE MIRROR BECAUSE YOU ARE THE BOOBIE

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 01:15:29 AM »
Quote from: IRC
<@Quemaqua> Yeah, but they only got shitty after being teamed with EA.
<@Quemaqua> I think it's a corruption by association thing.
<Gregg> Haha, could be.
<Gregg> It's really the execution that pisses me off more than anything
<Gregg> As I've said, I don't really mind the concept of DLC....if done right
<@idolminds> too bad its rarely done right
<@Quemaqua> Yeah.
<Gregg> But this is just retarded.  So, you've already paid for that content because the price of developing it was part of the development cost of the original game....which you've paid for.
<@Quemaqua> I already have issues with Warden's Keep being $7 and for the inventory thing.  But the kicker was that they force you to read ads for it in-game, essentially.
<Gregg> Since it obviously shared the same development time and resourcs.
<@Quemaqua> Yeah, absolutely.
<@Quemaqua> But you know what sucks?  Nothing will change because of this.  People are getting pissed, but the DLC will make money, Dragon Age will sell a jillion copies, and this shit will just get worse.
<Gregg> So they try to modularize it and create a completely new revenue stream, basically charging people twice....with way more markup on the second one
<Gregg> and then they resell it right away.  They could have claimed that it was developed while the hard copy was being manufactured, but instead they don't even try to hide it?  Worse, they advertise it? 
<Gregg> Like, if you're going to try to fuck me, at least have the respect to lie to me.
<@idolminds> Its just funny how no one scales costs in their head. Its only $7! Yeah...but thats 1/8th the full cost of the game. It is anywhere close to 1/8th the content?
<@idolminds> for a 60 hour RPG, I doubt it
<Gregg> And no one will do anything, you're right.  That does suck because people will still cream over the game and it will do well
<@Quemaqua> And it sucks more so in this situation because the game *is* good, and it's obvious that a lot of love went into it.
<Gregg> That's the thing.  It's like if they sold you, say, Mario Kart and then went and charged $7 bucks for the time trials....or something
<@Quemaqua> You don't get the impression that these people are just trying to milk you and don't give a shit about their game, so that makes it harder to just outright condemn it and tell people to stop supporting them.
<Gregg> It's a feature that should have been there, and the only reasonable excuse for it not being would have been a lack of time/resources.
<Gregg> However, you obviously didn't have that since you developed it using the same resource pool, you just decided to charge twice for it.
<@Quemaqua> Supposedly the inventory thing was originally in the game, they dropped it because it was bugged, they found it played fine without it and just never added it back.
<Gregg> uh-huh
<@Quemaqua> But the separate DLC team said, "What would be cool in a DLC?", came up with inventory space, and it got added.
<Gregg> what was the code that fixed the bug? a whole bunch of digits and an expiry date?
<@idolminds> So it was bugged and dropped because it would be difficult, but then the DLC team did it anyway. Makes perfect sense
<Gregg> well. at least they're lying a bit.  At least they recognize that's it's kinda shady.
<@Quemaqua> I just really hope some lessons get learned, even though I know they won't.
<@Quemaqua> But hey, at least the pirates come through for us yet again.
<@Quemaqua> Those guys are my fucking heroes.
<@idolminds> haha
<@idolminds> Pirates: Giving you what you really want since 1970
<Gregg> This is probably the first time that I've found DLC actually offensive
<@Quemaqua> Heh, not me.  I've found it pretty offensive from the outset, but this is the first one that's literally made me want to go out and underworld store it just because.
<@Quemaqua> And also so that my game doesn't feel broken without it.  Not the inventory thing, but the broken quest you can't get from the fuckwit who wants you to pay him magical fairy money for the PRIVILEGE of helping his stupid ass.
<Gregg> Yeah, I was overly optimistic about the intentions although never planned to buy something
<Gregg> I  viewed it like adding episodic content to completed products
<@idolminds> At least if you're going to drop it into the middle of a game, don't have a salesman standing there to bug you about it. If you never saw an NPC talking about it it wouldnt feel like you're missing a part of the game
<Gregg> That's the thing
<Gregg> and just wait until you get to the last boss, Que.
<Gregg> $9.99 to bring your equipment in
<@Quemaqua> "Would you like to deliver the killing blow?  Only $19.99!  Pay $29.99 for the extra-gorey version!  Pay $59.99 to see Morrigan do it NAKED!"
<Gregg> hahaha

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »
That was a nice read. Like you guys said, this will just get worse because they are going to make a ton of money of this crap.

I didn't have an issue with the DLC because I fully intended to torrent that stuff. But them advertising the DLC in the game is where things go too far.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #189 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 04:32:50 AM »
I do think it absolutely sucks, but I don't think it will get worse. It may show up again, but I think the stench of this will grow if they keep it up and communities will be angered by it and there are dev teams out there that do care about reputation. DLC has always walked this fine line of being between fair and greedy, and usually the shit will balance itself back out again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
If they are going to try to sell DLC, do it OUTSIDE of the goddamn in-game. I don't need an NPC trying to sell me DLC. Do it in the game menus on in the game's in-game menu - just don't do it in-game while I'm playing the game material. That's just annoying and breaking immersion.

Also, for those guys who played Borderlands - I don't know if you noticed, but look at some of those maps w/ the MAP KEY [M by default, if I recall]. Some of those maps have sections that ain't closed-off, but if you walk to it - them areas they have invisible walls. I'm betting some DLC is going there - but hey, at least they ain't having NPC's sell me quests in-game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
So this thread has gotten pretty negative.  I'd like to reiterate that it's not all bad and the game itself is actually pretty awesome.  The initial post-origin-story area is a bit weak in spots, and it's always nice to get beyond the opening of a game like this so things open up and get less linear, but they really do a fantastic job of presenting the story.  Thus far the story isn't really anything special as far as the content goes, but the presentation is really well done.  Things feel... appropriate.  Believable.  The long wait for the initial big battle really ratchets up the tension and actually makes you feel like a member of an important war party getting ready to enter into your responsibilities in the fight.  That's pretty cool because 90% of the games out there fail utterly to get that sort of poignant anticipation.

The game has some rough spots graphically, which is a bit of a shame.  It's mostly small inconsistencies and obvious bits where the engine just isn't up to par.  Mass Effect was the better looking game.  I feel like the characters were a bit more real-feeling, and mechanical stuff like space stations and such are easier to make convincing than natural environments.  Still, this game is far more consistent than, say, Oblivion or Fallout 3, and there are some pretty breathtaking vistas when the game wants to give you something to gawk at.

I'm a bit confused about the inventory thing now, actually.  I'd heard everywhere that you started the game with 60 inventory slots, but I started with 70 slots, and I bought 2 very cheap packs in the freaking starting area which increased my inventory to 90.  These things weren't related to the patch either.  So I dunno', unless the loot really starts to pile up I'm not sure why this has been such a problem.  I suppose if you're keeping a lot of the smaller items for making poisons and potions it could add up.  I'll have to keep playing to see.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
Interesting.  I'm very tempted by this but I think I've decided it isn't really my thing.  That said, the fact that a D&D-type fantasy game like this even tempted me is kind of a big deal. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
Que, since this is a Bioware fantasy game - and they're known for having awesome-looking spell effects - how do those look?

I mean, I remember when NWN came out, the graphics were dated, but the spell effects were unbelievable for its time period.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
The spell effects are decent.  Nothing to write home about thus far, but they look as good as the rest of the game.  Some of the more elaborate ones are quite nice.

The game continues to impress as I go.  Very much enjoying the fact that it doesn't often break its stride once it gets going.  Initially I was actually starting to get a bit upset at the fact that the new patch made it easier, because the game had been fairly easy up until where I was... then it finally stopped being lame and got a lot harder.  That's when I realized that this is much better than your average fantasy RPG, combat-wise.  It lacks in some general ways because it doesn't try to do exactly what other RPGs try to do, and thus isn't quite as sprawling and doesn't give quite the same feeling of limitlessness, even if just due to lacking stuff like having lots of items in the game you can interact with, etc.  It feels more static than something like Oblivion (though in many cases this isn't a bad thing... it breaks less often).  But for all this, the combat in particular feels tighter.  It's actually really tactical, which is a bloody refreshing change.  Some of Bioware's past games have tended a bit more in that direction, but not to this extent.  I'm playing a mage currently, and am finding it absolutely critical that I use my abilities properly.  I have a paralyze spell, a mass-stun spell, and a force field spell, all of which I find myself frequently required to use against large groups of enemies.  The force field thing isn't even purely for enemies, it just paralyzes someone and makes them completely immune to damage for a time, but it acts as a great way of keeping some bigger baddie busy while we work on his friends, particularly in concert with the other 2 spells.  Add in abilities from other party members that interrupt, stun, or do knockdowns, and you quickly realize how imperative it is to engage enemies at the right time and do your best to keep at least a few of them off their feet at any given time.

Story is nice.  Bit of a lull where I am now, but that's not a bad thing.  The game needed a break.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #195 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 03:58:21 PM »
I made my decision....STOP IT.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #196 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »
I don't tend to care about shit like this, but Bioware set up a sort of... I don't know what to call it.  It's a site that lets you track people's progress and see what they're doing.  Sort of like a Steam profile, minus the Steam.  It's got achievements, shows screenshots the game takes automatically at story points, let's you see what stuff people did, what their character looks like, their spells and skills, equipment, etc.

Fear my stupid hat.  I really want to find another fucking hat.  Thankfully the cutscenes automatically remove it so I don't look like a flaming douchebag in a robe.  Next level I finally get to take my feat that lets me play a warrior mage, where my magic skill will help satisfy the strength requirements for using armor and weapons.  I'm ditching the staff and the stupid hat for some armor and hammer.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 04:48:22 PM »
Damnit I'm really wanting this game, even though the length of the game is daunting and I've got other stuff to play too. I've got L4D2 preordered (it was for demo access, I probably won't actually buy it... yet) and I'm thinking about getting this or Fallout GOTY.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #198 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
I don't tend to care about shit like this, but Bioware set up a sort of... I don't know what to call it.  It's a site that lets you track people's progress and see what they're doing.  Sort of like a Steam profile, minus the Steam.  It's got achievements, shows screenshots the game takes automatically at story points, let's you see what stuff people did, what their character looks like, their spells and skills, equipment, etc.
In the DAO - Character Creation, uploading your stuff is optional and not forced upon the player.
I'm guessing it's still the same case here w/ the full game, right?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 11:33:12 PM »
WHEN WILL MY CE ARRIVE! DAMN THE STUPID SELLER SHIPPED A DAY LATE AND THEN TWO DAY NATIONAL FREAKIN' HOLIDAY!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Yea I heard the game looks pretty bad, though it looks best on PC.

Mass Effect used the Unreal engine, while this uses the Bioware proprietary thing.

The other reason Dragon Age looks so weak is that it was basically done 16 months ago. They initially delayed to refine a few things and suddenly missed last years holiday season mark. Then, this year, they just delayed it from Feb. to now just to insure a simultaneous cross platform release.