Author Topic: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Follow up!  (Read 32420 times)

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Demon's Souls Follow up!
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
From the Dark Souls Facebook page: So "like" the page and I guess when enough people do it the announcement will be revealed. Will this be the fabled PC version? Some sort of DLC? Theres been rumor of them working on iOS as well...

Ugh, I hate it when companies do this.  I don't want a fucking Facebook account.  Hopefully, they will make the announcement soon.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »

Dude on neogaf went and verified that at a magazine rack. Its real. Of course, its for the April issue so...trickery may be in play.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
Ooo, intriguing.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »
Oh, HELL yes!!!!  ;D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 04:22:10 PM »
I agree D. I'd rather play this on a system where the game doesn't drop to a slideshow. On the PS3 it was just terrible at certain areas.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 04:34:27 PM »
Yeah, that's the one thing I can really fault it for. Blighttown is pretty bad. Not enough to kill you or anything, but it's a bit annoying.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »
I agree D. I'd rather play this on a system where the game doesn't drop to a slideshow.
As long as they don't FUBAR the PC port...

On the PS3 it was just terrible at certain areas.
So, why don't they try and fix the issue, if that's the case?
Have they even patched the game on the PS3?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
They've patched it, but you can't always just patch out framerate problems.

And D, don't get too excited. This game is much harder than other games I've seen you give up on for difficulty. Be forewarned.

Also, courtest of idol:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
They've patched it, but you can't always just patch out framerate problems.
Ah, so it's pushing the hell out of the PS3 hardware, then, I'd guess?
Hmmm...it certainly and hopefully fares better here on the PC, then.

And D, don't get too excited. This game is much harder than other games I've seen you give up on for difficulty. Be forewarned.
I am up for THIS challenge...
Well, I hope I am, at least...

You think I'll regret asking for this one? :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 05:19:52 PM »
I would hope a PC version would fare better technically. It certainly should.

And hey, more power to you if you get it, I'm just saying this one might be pushing your limits just from stuff I've heard you say before. This is a tough game and you really have to want it if you're going to get through it. This is an RPG where your stats and your gear won't save you. Even at level 45 with powerful gear I can still get murdered by a cluster of weak enemies if I fuck up or get careless.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 05:22:26 PM »
I would hope a PC version would fare better technically. It certainly should.

And hey, more power to you if you get it, I'm just saying this one might be pushing your limits just from stuff I've heard you say before. This is a tough game and you really have to want it if you're going to get through it. This is an RPG where your stats and your gear won't save you. Even at level 45 with powerful gear I can still get murdered by a cluster of weak enemies if I fuck up or get careless.

Dare I even ask this...
Any other games to suggest that are on the PC that might be like Dark Souls [if there are any?] and are brutally-difficult-as-fuck?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
Hmm... I can't think of too many. Severance aka Blade of Darkness was fairly tough, though definitely not as much as this. That's the closest thing that I can think of, though. I remember it being pretty difficult. Great game, too.

EDIT -

Here's my latest experience. It may sound punishing but I had so much fun despite some frustration toward the middle. And the end of the whole thing was so worth it.

Quote from: IRC
[21:25] <Que|dark> god damn it
[21:25] <Que|dark> I just killed myself trying to roll to a lower floor.
[21:25] <Que|dark> fuck me
[21:26] <Que|dark> I was like right around the corner from a bonfire and I PASSED IT THE FIRST TIME
[21:26] <Que|dark> ;okhawer;oiawe;lkjdg
[21:26] * Que|dark commits suicide.
[21:32] <Que|dark> wow, fucking hell
[21:32] <Que|dark> I got to the top of the fucking place, did all kinds of great shit, and I just died like 5 times just trying to get through the opening couple rooms
[21:39] <Que|dark> there we go, dead again
[21:39] <Que|dark> fuck me
[21:39] <Que|dark> on the swinging axe blades no less
[21:43] <Que|dark> hahaha... and this time I just ran, took every single chance I could take, jumped like a madman, didn't even look... all the way to the bonfire and 12 enemies killed themselves on traps trying to follow
[21:43] <Que|dark> I have 6000 souls
[21:44] <Que|dark> god this game is great. haha
[21:55] <Que|dark> aaand just got one-shotted by the boss from the top of the castle.
[21:59] <Que|dark> and there goes 10,000 souls from me falling from the top of the castle trying to get to the boss too hastily

It all ended well. About 6 tries on the boss until I realized... why wasn't I two-handing my weapon? I wasn't blocking, just using my superior mobility (I use light armors and try to ninja around a lot), but was having to fight for a fair while so I'd inevitably make a mistake. So I switched it up and bam, got him without even taking a hit.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 08:38:52 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, March 24, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
This is honestly turning out to be one of my favorite games of all time. I'm not sure I can pick out a game I've enjoyed this much, absolutely obsessed over this much, and been so amped/angry/joyful with. It's not a perfect game, but it really kicks the shit out of almost everything I've played in the last 10 years. Certainly everything I've played in the last 5. It's better for me personally than Demon's Souls was, mostly due to the open world and the bonfire system, but both games have a special place in my heart. I love the storytelling too, because it isn't really storytelling. There's so little of it, yet it's all interwoven into the experience so well. You get this great sense of history that gradually becomes real in front of you, and the mystery of what's going on in the world is revealed so slowly... yet it's there, you feel it, both the mystery of your initial lack of knowledge and the eventual sort of "Oh, I sort of get it now" when it comes into focus a bit more.

Such a wonderful game. Everyone should try this. If you hate it, you hate it, but everyone with even the slightest interest should at least give it a rent and put in 15 hours.

I'm at about 62 or 63 hours now I guess, around level... 52? I forget. I think I'm a tad over halfway through.

EDIT - Wrong all around. 66 hours, level 58.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 24, 2012, 07:44:54 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, March 25, 2012, 05:39:55 AM »
Forbes -> "Dark Souls Is An Old-School Masterpiece".

Dammit - that PC port needs to get here soon!!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #94 on: Sunday, March 25, 2012, 07:42:58 AM »
Damn, and right after I bought the PS3 version. Well, either way the controls are great with the gamepad anyway.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, March 25, 2012, 08:17:12 AM »
PC version hasn't actually been confirmed yet, though. It seems likely but not a sure thing yet.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #96 on: Monday, March 26, 2012, 06:42:15 AM »
These games really require a specific mindset to get into.  You have to accept the fact that you're going to die, that you're likely not going to play through perfectly, and you can't be afraid of what's around the corner.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #97 on: Monday, April 02, 2012, 04:08:30 PM »
Just realized that K's been posting in the Dark Souls thread. The thread title is rather misleading.

Well, I just finished the game. I'm on my New Game + now at level 90, 98 hours in. This is one of the best games I've ever played. It has a few disappointments, like framerate issues in a couple areas, the ending I got (1 of 2) being a 10-second cutscene of basically nothing, and the last boss being excruciatingly difficult if you're taking him alone and don't have enough poise to avoid stumbling on some of his rougher attacks, but by and large I am supremely satisfied. Beautiful environments, great visual design, amazing-amazing-amazing level design, brilliant music, satisfyingly deep gameplay with loads of options, tons of weapons/armor/items/spells to use and abuse, and a crapton of different enemy designs and awesome bosses. The game seems almost to grow as you go through the end, even when you think you've seen everything, and I kept finding new surprises, including a couple of late-game shockers that blew my mind a little bit.

The story is very sparse, but it's there if you pay attention, read item descriptions, kind of feel your way around the world a little bit, there's more to it than what first appears. Not everything is explained, but that mystery is part of the draw. They do a great job of giving your brain little things to chew on and wonder about. No, it isn't "story" in terms of a strong narrative, but it adds a wonderful sense of place and makes the world seem more grounded than it might otherwise.

Also, the game isn't nearly so hard as people say it is. Sure, it can be rough in spots, and if you do stupid things you can make life a bit more difficult for yourself, but on the whole this is not a soul-crushingly difficult game. It's a good, mostly fair level of challenge, and all the obstacles are surmountable without making you want to commit suicide. The last boss is literally the only bit of controller-throwing frustration I experienced, and I did manage to take care of him in coop which was totally fun and didn't feel like a cheat or anything. There's something awesome about the coop and PvP in these games. I don't know why, but they're thrilling, I guess because of how limited the multiplayer systems are. Everyone feels legitimate because you can't listen to them talk and say stupid shit, you just have what's almost an NPC, and you try to watch out for each other and do your best, and there's no prejudice or irritation getting in the way. The PvP can be rough for sure, but I've had almost as many good experiences as bad, and have done a little invading myself and it's pretty fun!

So yeah, this blows out of the water nearly every game I've played in I don't know how long. Great, great game, and makes a lot of other stuff seem really stupid in retrospect. I did spend more time with Skyrim overall, but not by much, which shows you just how much there is to Dark Souls, and my heart was racing through a good number of those 90+ hours.

Pick it up! If you have any interest or curiosity, give it a shot.

EDIT - Reading over this thread again (also merged with the other one we had), a couple things:

Firstly, now that I'm so familiar with the game, I can say that the goofy image of the checkpoint progression is actually hyperbole. I mean, it could go that way, but if you did it that way first, you'd learn not to the second time. The undead with firebombs are pretty much optional and not a big deal, the black knight is avoidable, and before you even get to the dragon you can knock down a shortcut to the previous checkpoint that will get you right back to that spot if you die.

Also X, I'm playing a New Game + now and was back in the asylum, and I guess you weren't reading the tutorial messages. The one in front of the first boss literally tells you how to do the plunging attack, and it's two feet before the spot where you're supposed to do it.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 02, 2012, 06:53:35 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #98 on: Monday, April 02, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
Also X, I'm playing a New Game + now and was back in the asylum, and I guess you weren't reading the tutorial messages. The one in front of the first boss literally tells you how to do the plunging attack, and it's two feet before the spot where you're supposed to do it.
Yeah, I was plodding through them after the first few that tell me what button does what. That last one I actually did read so I knew I had to drop attack him but like I said there was no time to do anything, I appear from the white light, and floor is gone almost instantly. After restarting the game from scratch, I spawn and the balcony is there for a solid 4-5 secs, plenty of time to gauge the environment and run off the edge.

I gotta get back into this, I've been distracted by Red Johnson's Chronicles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls Follow up!
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 05:17:03 AM »
CVG -> Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition PC confirmed for August 2012.

According to a few details posted on NeoGAF the game will be called 'Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition', will feature new bosses - with the rest of the content mirroring its console counterparts - and get released in August.

Rumours have also suggested From Software is currently working on Dark Souls DLC titled 'Forest of Darkness'.

I'm wondering if they are working on that Forest DLC - if that comes equipped w/ PC version, since PC is getting some new content.
Hopefully, console gamers get that extra PC content, as well.

I wonder if Forest DLC is equipped in the PC version or if that Forest DLC is just something else entirely...

We'll have to wait and find out, I guess...

« Last Edit: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 05:41:22 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
Damn. Well, looks like I'll have something else to buy.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »
God dammit, new content on PC?  Fuck, I don't want to buy the game again.  Hopefully they add it as a patch or DLC to the PS3 version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »

It's Dark again. August 24th release date. Games For Windows Live. No mention of console DLC.

Prepare to Die
NEW CONTENT
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will include an untold chapter in the world of Lordran where the player must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias.

New Bosses - Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more
    PVP Online Matchmaking System - Quick matching for co-op or PVP
    New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
    New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
    New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more
    New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 02:11:40 PM by idolminds »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »
WTF @ them using G4WL.
3rd party game companies should stop using that garbage, if Microsoft ain't going to fix and re-vamp the damn thing.

Despite that, glad to see it hitting the PC. :D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #105 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 02:48:59 PM »
Hell, Im practically thrilled its not Steamworks. I was totally prepared to be let down and not buy it because of that and just stick to the PS3. But now its pretty much guaranteed I'll get it on PC as well (unless the port is terrible or something).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »
Hell, Im practically thrilled its not Steamworks. I was totally prepared to be let down and not buy it because of that and just stick to the PS3. But now its pretty much guaranteed I'll get it on PC as well (unless the port is terrible or something).
I'm glad it ain't Steamworks-required, either. Steam should always be an OPTION for the player [like how Impulse was], not a requirement.

If you buy a game from G4WL for download directly - yeah, I really don't like the way G4WL handles pricing often [from full games to DLC], backing-up games, Friends features, and other things. It all sucks, compared to Steam.
I'll have to probably buy it just not from G4WL - probably from Amazon DL or something, if I want it for download.
I prefer the way they give you installers and whatnot over G4WL.

Plus, if there's any sort of way it saves games locally to your HDD somewhere - make sure you back them up. We all seen the missing saves issue on many of their G4WL games,

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
I don't really care. I want it. It looks so good. But I do hope they do DLC for the consoles, sorta... I'll very likely never ever have the luxury of playing through the game again, so it would be nice to experience the new content on my current game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
So there is another interesting wrinkle in the PC version. Here is the press release:

SAN JOSE, Calif. (April 11, 2012) – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced that, by popular demand, Dark Souls™: Prepare to Die™ Edition will be releasing for the PC platform in North America on August 24th. This special, content-enhanced edition of the critically acclaimed Action-RPG developed by FromSoftware will be finely-tuned to cater to the PC gaming audience while retaining all of the deep challenge, rich atmosphere, and compelling gameplay that made the game a worldwide phenomenon. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on the PC platform will also include an enhanced PVP mode allowing players to more closely assemble battles against one another online in an all-out fight to the death that fans have demanded.

In addition, the development team at FromSoftware has revealed an untold chapter in the world of Lordran created specifically to help further expand upon the lore of the game. ‘Artorias of the Abyss’ will include all-new areas to explore, enemies to encounter, and bosses to take down one by one as players are treated to an unseen side of Lordan where players must stop the spread of darkness at all costs by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias.

“Our fans demanded to see this game brought to the PC, and the noise they have made was simply too loud and too passionate to ignore,” said Hidetaka Miyazaki, Creative Director for Dark Souls at FromSoftware, Inc., “This also allowed us to dive back into the world of Dark Souls, offering a special edition of the game that offers more ways to die over and over again than ever before. Adding a whole new chapter to tell the tale of the Dark Knight Artorias was an opportunity we’re also proud to have taken, as we’ve managed to expand the experience for our biggest fans without compromising the balance of the core game that we worked so hard to create. This edition of the game is our gift to the fans.”

Heralded by critics worldwide, IGN referred to the original Dark Souls™ release as, “One of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming,” while GameSpot called it, “Extraordinary… an awesome and menacing world you may never forget.”

With tense dungeon crawling and fearsome enemy encounters, the seamlessly intertwined world of Dark Souls is full of extreme battles, rewarding challenges, nuanced weaponry and magic, and the flexibility to customize each character to suit any desired play style. The innovative online component allows gamers to draw from the collective experience of the Dark Souls community as they either help or sabotage each other on the journey through the world of Lordran to save the land from darkness. With a massive, seamless open world design, Dark Souls encourages deep exploration and an adaptable gameplay experience.

Dark Souls™: Prepare to Die™ Edition will be available for digital download on the PC platform in North America on Augist 24th. For more information on the game, please be sure to visit www.PrepareToDie.com and www.facebook.com/DarkSouls.
I bolded the wrinkle. It only mentions digital download, and some people are thinking it means there will be no retail release...at least in the US. I would imagine Europe will see retail so maybe I can import a copy if that ends up being true.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 03:21:11 PM »
Destructoid -> Namco and From Software are STILL deciding on what to use for a game-client, distribution, and the requirements on Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition PC.

In a Q&A session at a press event last week, Dark Souls producer Hidetaka Miyazaki gracefully handled the growing internet rage. He let on that they were aware of the fan outcry against using GFWL for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, but then he dumped the burden of answering a line of questions on a Namco Bandai representative.

According to Namco Bandai's rep, who had had an easy day up until then as the person that played the game for these sessions, one of the reasons for the choice of Games for Windows Live connectivity is that they already have a running server up for the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls. He said that this is "the main reason we've picked the Xbox Live server."

But, leaving an out, he added, "The partnership is still ongoing, so we might have another announcement regarding publishing."

Namco Bandai kind of left it open, saying that specs and distribution details have yet to be determined.

EDIT:
VG247 -> Interview w/ Dark Souls producer Hidetaka Miyazaki on Dark Souls: PTD Edition PC.
RockPaperShotgun -> Their thoughts on the VG247 interview/article.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 05:11:22 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 05:38:33 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
Well uh...thats not very encouraging.

That bites that they aren't fixing performance issues in those areas. :(
I'm glad they're honest about these problems, though...

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #113 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
How much you wanna bet someone steps up and helps them?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #114 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
They should hire someone?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #115 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 06:45:26 AM »
Pyro sold me his PS3 copy.  I've put maybe an hour or so into it.  Nothing real serious since most of my free time has gone to D3.  Anyway, the realization that the first boss encounter isn't a tutorial like it was in demon's souls sets the tone for the game pretty well, I think. 

The game overall has a different look and feel from Demon's Souls.  At this point I think I prefer Demon's Souls world and atmosphere.  But I'm real excited to explore this world.  It all being interconnected is pretty neat, although I'm sure I'll miss the "hub" the first game had.

The character moves so much more smoothly, but the character in the first game moved like there was actual weight involved, if that makes sense.  I played a solider in the first game, and I rolled a thief in this one, so that might be some of it.

Overall pretty excited about the game.  Glad to finally have a copy of it.  And even more glad to know that the extra content is hitting as DLC later.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
i have spent over an hour playing the same tiny bit again and again.

i don't think i like this game. i really want to give it a proper try, but i'm no longer having fun.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #117 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 01:05:19 AM »
i have spent over an hour playing the same tiny bit again and again.

i don't think i like this game. i really want to give it a proper try, but i'm no longer having fun.
That's how I feel about it. It's tedious.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #118 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »
The game truly is not for everyone.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #119 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »