Author Topic: Greetings From Windows 8  (Read 23948 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Greetings From Windows 8
« Reply #40 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
Yup. Noticed that too. What is a touch keyboard.

You are right. As cool as Modern UI is, it feels like a multiple personality thing. The apps on Modern UI are cool, accessing everything from one place always makes more sense that having to use two platforms.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #41 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
Yup. Noticed that too. What is a touch keyboard.

You are right. As cool as Modern UI is, it feels like a multiple personality thing. The apps on Modern UI are cool, accessing everything from one place always makes more sense that having to use two platforms.
It's the onscreen keyboard made for a touchscreen.

Yeah, Start8 helps keep the desktop and Modern UI segregated. As it stands I don't need to touch the Start Screen if I don't want to. That reminds me: Start8 also gives you the option to launch Modern UI apps right from the start menu as well; it added a program group in the start menu called "Modern UI applications" with shortcuts to them.

The ironic conflict I'm facing is that I actually like the Modern UI Start Screen and how clean it looks, I just can't stand how it kept getting slapped in my face while I'm trying to use the desktop to do my everyday stuff and, of course, how awkward it is to use with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm curious to see how the Surface will fair. I'd love to try out the Modern UI on the touchscreen it was intended for.

UPDATE:
Here's an interesting article looking at the inner workings of Win8, which is, in my opinion, where Win8 really shines.
Better on the inside: under the hood of Windows 8

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
"Preserving battery life is one of the key goals for Metro applications. Unlike desktop applications, Metro applications aren't in general allowed to run in the background; unless you're actively looking at a Metro application, Windows suspends it after a few seconds. If memory becomes low, Windows will quietly terminate the app. Switching back to the app, whether it was suspended or terminated, resumes it."

Thanks for the article X. This is what I was wondering about. Why running so many apps at once doesn't slow the system down!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
So I've been trying to figure out if I can stop having to go to Modern UI by accessing stuff from the Windows 8 desktop without having to resort to the Start Bar. And one way is to pin apps to the Task Bar. For example, I opened the control panel in Modern UI and it opened on desktop. So I pinned the window on the Taskbar, and can now access it whenever I want.

edit: Well then! You can go to Modern UI. Right click to access Apps.... and whenever you select an app, there is an option there in Modern UI itself to pin stuff to Task Bar. Shows that this Microsoft's plan as well.

In the end I will still use the Stardock app, but I perhaps even without it, it wouldn't be *so* bad.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #44 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
Fuck your Windows. I still prefer DOS.

I haven't used a ton of Stardock non-game products, but I do have Fences which I enjoy a great deal. It doesn't really feel tacked on at all, it just works nicely and combines well with Rainmeter and the other junk I keep around. I dig it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 02:28:50 AM »
Wow I write posts extra badly when I am struggling for sleep.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »
Wow I write posts extra badly when I am struggling for sleep.
Haha try doing it with an autocorrect that just won't agree with you :P Before you know it, you've involuntarily typed all sorts of strange things to people!

I've found a few select proprietary drivers/software that are not compatible with Win8 but for most I can find workarounds, such as my Seagate GoFlex network drive and its management software (luckily, I can just make my own network drive mapping in Windows and manually manage its settings and access rights). It's minor and for the most part it's stuff that the manufacturers will have to address eventually in updated drivers and patches etc.

At $15 the upgrade to Windows 8 is totally worth it. Mine upgraded while retaining all my software and settings, I was using it within half an hour without skipping a beat, it almost feels like I just applied a new visual style.

Even at $40 the upgrade would be a worthwhile investment, considering the behind-the-scenes OS improvements and especially if you're keen on the new UI.

The full retail price is $70, while it seems high compared to the digital upgrade options it' still the most affordable Windows OS to date.

Microsoft are really pushing for people to adopt it

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
I have a theory. It is just like them selling 360s at losses. Then they were trying to enter the console market. Here, they are trying to enter the tablet market. In both cases, eventually, PC people will reap benefits.

The whole efficiency under the hood is a big benefit we wouldn't have seen from Windows 8 otherwise.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
My experience with Windows 7 has been middling. It's okay, but not great, and it feels a bit bloated. Does Win8 really streamline things? Because at this point, I have to do whatever I can to make this rig perform better.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
Kotaku -> Make Steam Look Prettier On Windows 8...
Namely, it's about this program called Tile Creator that they're using.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
My experience with Windows 7 has been middling. It's okay, but not great, and it feels a bit bloated. Does Win8 really streamline things? Because at this point, I have to do whatever I can to make this rig perform better.

Hmmmm... I think it feels bloated yet runs faster :P

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, November 01, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

I've actually found Windows 7 to possibly be the best version of windows I've used.  I mean, XP was great for a very long time, but it seems like 7 maintains that light and fast feeling of a fresh install longer for me (it's also entirely possible that this is due to me fucking around with my PC less than when I used XP) and I find the interface a lot better the way I have it set up (task bar on the right hand side, yo).

I'm probably not the best to ask about Operating Systems though.  I mean, I never minded Vista (although in retrospect, my Vista notebook was awkward to use for some reason until I threw Win7 on that bitch.)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
I'm still on XP.  It was my intention to get 7 if I ever got a 64-bit PC.  From what I've been reading here, I guess I'd probably accept 8 now, with the Stardock thing or something like it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #53 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »
I don't really have any intention of going to 8 at this time.  It doesn't really seem like it adds anything interesting to me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
At $15 it's not a bad deal at all.

Btw, Microsoft have rectified the whole "upgrading from pirated copies" thing. Now you need to enter a legitimate Win7 product key (which shouldn't be a problem for most).

With the tweaks and Start8 it really feels like I'm using "Win7 Enhanced Edition" or something. Mind you, it will does this new square and flat visual style, which works for minimalists.

If you're on Win7, full price might not be worth it just yet. If you're on Vista (dear God just upgrade already, to anything) or XP it would be worth it to go for Win8 even at $40.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »
I think for $15 it is worth the price. Mind you, I hardly use the Modern UI. But the OS is blazing fast.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 04:45:31 PM »
I have a confession to make:

I've never paid for an operating system. Gangsta.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday, November 02, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
Neither have I, not directly anyway.  Every OS I've had has either come installed on the systems I've bought, or I've acquired it some other way.  I have paid indirectly for at least 1 copy of every OS I've ever had, if that makes any difference.  Windows 8 will probably come with whatever PC I get next.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, November 03, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
Windows 8 basics: Tips, tricks, and cures

A helpful set of tips for Windows 8 usage and new interface dynamics we may have overlooked.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #59 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
So I did a little searching and I'm still not sure if I can do a clean install with the upgrade. Right now I'm running an upgrade version of windows 7, but its in the 'trial period' since when I enter the key I used before(which I'm pretty sure is an xp key) windows tells me that the key is only good for upgrades and not clean installs.

I'm probably going to end up getting 8 in the next couple months, and I'm not sure if I need to get the full version or if I can get away with the upgrade. Anyone know?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #60 on: Sunday, November 04, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
This article might help shed some light on that, since Microsoft hasn't been clear on that.

And here's a Win8 clean install guide.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, November 06, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, November 08, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Stardock take it a step further with Decor8!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Friday, November 09, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
Guys going to review Windows 8 and will use quotes from you guys. Hope that is OK. :)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #64 on: Friday, November 09, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
I don't care if you use any quotes from me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 07:27:08 AM »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 08:13:50 AM »
Didn't have word space for quotes.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
You guys had a Windows 97SE over there?  It was 98SE here.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
You guys had a Windows 97SE over there?  It was 98SE here.
Well, with our rampant piracy/bootlegging/counterfeiting we probably did have Windows '97 at one point :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
Crap. That was meant to say 98SE. My mistake.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Monday, November 12, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:37:53 AM »
I liked the first comment:

“Windows 8 currently can be bought for USD39.99, while it can be upgraded to for as little as USD14.99 in certain circumstances. Compare that to prices of Windows in the past, which ranged north of USD 149.99, and you have a real bargain.”
Dude just buy it for 0.8 dollors from any local shop in Pak. This is the real bargaining.

"Hey man, I noticed you mentioned the price MSRP but didn't mention that you could also pay someone for a bootleg copy that you could get for free with better support. Obviously paying someone to bootleg it is the best option.
'
Sure, I may be missing something to do with broadband access, but it's still a really pointless (although slightly less dumb) comment.

Anyway, back on track - my mom is buying a laptop, pre-loaded Windows 8 is an option and she's currently using XP.  Is Metro/Win8 going to make her lose her shit learning new layouts and all that enough to just make getting Windows 7 a better option?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
Had the 97SE edited to 98SE. Thanks Scott.

GPW, I actually am not completely sure. I'd recommend she go for it, but I don't know if she will have problems. I think it shall be fine.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
it can be upgraded to for as little as USD14.99 in certain circumstances

Really? What circumstances?

My latest legit copy of Windows is XP Pro, and it would be nice to make the jump to 8 for that cheap. (sorry if I missed something related to that quote, I haven't been keeping up with this thread and just saw that part)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 01:21:46 PM »
http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

It used to be fine but they later added on the extra requirement of providing a valid Windows 7 key (after they noticed that people with illegitimate versions of Win7 were getting the upgrade offer too).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 02:03:49 PM »
hahaha yes

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »
LOL ok as I was reading that I thought you were gonna say they realized people with XP were doing it, but people with illegitimate win7 keys were? rofl

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, January 05, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
I've just tested out both the Refresh and Reset features on two separate PCs which I setup with Windows 8. I gotta say, it is an extremely convenient way to bring your PC back to "fresh" status.

Refresh is basically clearing your OS' settings without altering your personal files. It's relatively quick and basically makes it feel like a fresh PC with all my docs/save files and applications. I had to reinstall my video driver and re-detect attached hardware, then it was all set.

Restart, on the other hand, is the equivalent of formatting your PC with the added advantage of having it automatically retain Windows 8 as the OS (none of your files on the chosen hard drive though). It takes longer but it's the cleaner choice if you're a "format drive" junkie, like me. It's basically an unattended format, install OS; when you come back all you have to do is create your user and sign in, it'll do the usual "setting up new user" stuff just as if you've just installed Windows 8.

One small but noticeable advantage is also not having to go through the activation process again nor entering a CD key of any sort. The only thing is adding the PC to your Microsoft Account's list of approved devices

Colour me impressed with these convenient features.