Author Topic: Titanfall 2  (Read 6408 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 28, 2016, 05:16:55 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Titanfall 2 - Update: Reviews are rolling in...
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »
Game is on sale at half price on Origin. Wondering if I should go for it. Hmmm... Though I also want Battlefield 1.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 19, 2016, 09:09:35 PM »
I ended up grabbing it. I missed out on the first one and feel badly the game hasn't sold so well, and everything I've seen says I need to at least give this a spin. It's already so cheap I guess since it hasn't sold that well, so I figure why the hell not?

EDIT - Wow. Okay, so this game is real good. I stayed up until 4:30 AM last night playing it. Haven't even touched the MP, but the SP campaign is fantastic so far. The plot isn't anything terribly new, and the writing is fairly standard, but the level design is amazing, with some just super awesome setpiece moments, and the feeling of running around as a pilot is fantastic. Titan-on-titan combat is pretty fun too, with a decidedly different feel to it. It feels big and slow without feeling TOO big and slow, and having a dash helps keep it fluid.

Really, really impressed so far. It's currently on sale for $40, 33% off, on Origin, and if my current experience is any indication, worth every penny: http://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/titanfall/titanfall-2/standard-edition

EDIT x2 - Finished campaign today. Took about 8 hours, I think. Was fun all the way through, and I'd even be happy to play through it again. I spent an hour and change in multiplayer after that, and holy shit do I not know what I'm doing. Nothing is terribly well explained, so expect to do very, very badly on your first few runs until you understand how things work. I'm still not exactly sure on some stuff, and I'm really bad, but I did have a pretty damn good time regardless. I don't think this will be encroaching on my Overwatch time long-term for MP, but I suspect I'm going to keep it installed for a good while and play from time to time.

EDIT x3 - Scratch that. The level of play is such that I can't even compete in MP. If I wanted to do that, I suspect I'd have to do it on a console. I have no idea what's going on and little chance of learning. I'm one-shotted basically every time I round a corner by players 20-30 levels above me. Very doubtful I'll bother putting in the time to try and get over that hurdle, because it would take more time than I have. It was fun for a while, but eventually just got to be an exercise in watching other players kill me repeatedly. And this coming from someone who is very far above average at FPS in general. Not sure what's not meshing for me here, but doubt I'll stick around to find out.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 21, 2016, 12:55:14 AM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 02:41:17 AM »
Okay, so I've kinda come around on this. The multiplayer is indeed ridiculously difficult, and the learning curve really high, but I put another couple hours in tonight since Pug wanted me to write something on the online component, and I finally found my footing. I don't know how or why, as it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything differently, but whatever. It's really intense, and definitely rather different. Never played anything quite like it, and it gets the heart racing for sure.

EDIT - Have definitely come around on this. I'm still not amazing at it, but I can often stay in the middle ranks, and occasionally get to the top (and still sometimes get shut down on the bottom, heh). It's really, really good, and I can see why people praise it so highly. Still a few days left in the sale. If any of you were thinking about it, I'd definitely give it two thumbs up.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 27, 2016, 12:44:18 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, December 04, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
So far, got about 3 hours or so on this Free Weekend with the Titanfall 2 MP.

Yep, it's fun right out-the-gate, as one w/ expect, if you've played T-Fall 1 and all.

There's nothing like killing some enemies, dropping a big-ass Titan from the sky, and then laying waste to enemies in the Titan. Nothing like being in that Titan...and then stomping on Pilots who ain't in their Titan and blowing other big Titans right out-of-the-water.

The grappling hook here really is a cool weapon + additional to your Pilot's arsenal for movement, as it can make the running up the walls and vertically stuff even more fun & interesting.

Though, as usual, w/ Titanfall 1 - seems like also in T-Fall 2 here that I can mostly get games w/ Attrition going without much effort and without much wasting-time, waiting to get a get Match-Maked and all. While there are a bunch of other different modes here, Attrition pretty much is the game's main mode, so most seem to be playing Attrition here.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Titanfall 2
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 06, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
The Titanfall 2 Frontier Defense mode just released recently and it prompted me to give the game another try.

It's basically a 4-player co-op horde mode and it is supremely fun!!

It doesn't really do anything new with the tried'n'true formula but the gameplay mechanics really work for it. Hopping into a Titan and fending off waves of grunts and enemy Titans is thoroughly enjoyable. Even when your Titan takes on too much damage, ejecting and maneuvering around on-foot is a blast (pardon the pun).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, August 06, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »
Oh nice. That's really cool, since the competitive stuff is so rough. If anybody wanted to play some of that I might be inclined to reinstall.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, August 13, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »
We should try this

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
I do have plans to reinstall the game and give this a go. Just haven't gotten to it yet thanks to Origin and Windows 10 not getting along.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 09, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Polygon - EA is looking to acquire Respawn and Respawn's at work on a new Titanfall game.

So...anyone wanna guess how long Respawn sticks around, given EA's history of closing studios?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 02:22:39 PM »
Titanfall 2 (Origin/PC) - Single Player Campaign -> My Review

WRITTEN ON ... May 8th, 2021.

INTRO.
For a few years, I've been sitting - yes, probably foolishly - here on Titanfall 2, letting it sit in my ever-growing backlog. As someone who loved the MP (Multi-Player) for Titanfall 1; and also loved what I played of Titanfall 2's Multiplayer during a Free Trial on Origin, you'd think I'd have played this a long time ago. As someone who is all about Single Player Campaign and heard TF2 had a good one - yes, I probably should have. Regardless, I've finally sat down and played TF2's Campaign.

CAMPAIGN.
And what a campaign this one is! This one is nothing short of awesome, to say the least. With butter-smooth gameplay, combat, and shooting mechanics; non-stop action; wall-running & wall-jumping puzzles; mech-driven & mech-shooting sequences where you ride & are controlling an awesome mech; huge open-spaced shootouts, whether on foot and even in a Titan; lots of awesome set-pieces; and all kinds of other action-packed sequences - for the most part, this game doesn't let its foot off the gas. This feels & plays like a Call of Duty game gone sci-fi mixed with elements of MechWarrior games (battling in mechs) and wall-running & wall-jumping parkour like that out of Mirror's Edge series - thankfully and smartly, having nothing to do with the CoD license, so it never has a chance to have a realistic franchise jump the shark, so-to-speak. At 1080p at a locked 60fps with settings all maxed-out on my RTX 3070 here - this game looks quite good (especially on the artistic side) and plays absolutely perfect.

A BOY...AND HIS ROBOT, SQUAD, & MENTOR.
This is a game about a man, Jack Cooper, who you play as, who is part of one (the Frontier Militia) of two groups (Frontier Militia and the IMC) at war over a region of star systems. The IMC (Interstellar Manufacturing Company) wants worlds & all of their resources, while the Frontier Militia are fighting for their independence from the IMC. Pilots, in which those (Pilots) who control mech-like robots called Titans (similar to mechs in MechWarrior games), have with their Robot & its AI, as they go out into battle. While most of the time is with the player in combat & action, there are certainly moments where the player gets to bond with their mentor, their squad, and especially their mech-robot and its AI - and this game does not waste any of its time, dialogue, or anything, still delivering an epic and even heartfelt & emotional bond with these relationships...as the player will care about his AI, his squad, and his mentor, by the time this campaign concludes.

OUTRO.
And what a conclusion it is! After about 8 hours or so with this, this Campaign is one that's completed in the books. An absolutely awesome Single-Player Campaign from start-to-finish, that delivers in every single way and one of the most memorable of this kind of linear shooter, one of the best ones I've played in quite a while, of this type of shooter. If you have not bought this game, played this game, or have this one somehow sitting in your backlog - go get it and play this one right now.

Simply put: this campaign is outstanding and should not be missed.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 13, 2021, 11:15:08 PM »
As much as I enjoyed the MP when this first came out the campaign is really the highpoint of this game.  Glad you liked it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, May 14, 2021, 09:38:59 PM »
Yeah the campaign was really good. I was too late to get into multiplayer with it and would get destroyed if I tried.