Author Topic: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread  (Read 199074 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: "What Movies Have You Seen Lately?" Thread
« Reply #520 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 08:05:41 AM »
Yeah, I really like that as well, a surprise after the lukewarm reviews I read.  And fuck Roger Ebert for spoiling a key cameo.  (I.e., don't read his review before watching Paul.)
Yep, I know what you're saying.. Why did he need to add this last paragraph:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #521 on: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
That's it exactly.  It really shocked me.  I can see it from all the amateurs out there writing reviews, but not him.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #522 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
Mars Needs Moms.  OK, so it has problems in the story dept.  I was still shocked to see the universally negative press.  I was also shocked it bombed so badly at the box office.  I guess I got caught up in the excellent performance capture and general quality of the rendered visuals.  I think it's worth watching for the Gribble character alone, who is a cut above the facial animations of everything else.  That one is the best out of the Zemeckis efforts so far.  I guess, sadly, he may not be pushing this artform anymore, with Disney shutting him down.

Source Code.  I don't believe in time travel or parallel realities.  But I always enjoy smart stories based on one or the other, and this is one of them.  Definitely worth a watch.  I loved it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 15, 2011, 08:46:44 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #523 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »
Saw Super 8.  I really liked Cloverfield so I was pretty interested in seeing this one.  It's well acted throughout.  It's got similar thrills compared to Cloverfield, except not filmed shaky-cam.  I liked the first 3/4 of the movie quite a bit.  The last 1/4 was a little weak.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #524 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
Battle LA: War movie cliches are fun! There's almost nothing redeemable about this movie. It tried to be Blackhawk down with aliens. The only thing I kind of liked are the alien vehicles cause they seemed realistic enough (not the aliens themselves and why they are here).

The American: Enjoyed it though it's kind of boring and predictable. The chick in that movie is hot.

Avatar: Yeah, I finally watched it. Good graphics, bad everything else. It makes my brain hurt if I start thinking about the physics, biology, etc.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #525 on: Saturday, June 18, 2011, 09:26:50 PM »
Inception: Really liked it. Especially the snow fort part.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #526 on: Monday, June 20, 2011, 08:09:45 PM »
Green Lantern:  It was actually better than I thought, but nothing special.  I loved the guy that played the leader of the Green Lantern Corps.  He was awesome.

One thing I found odd was the mask.  In most modern comic book movies, they don't force the characters to completely conform to the looks of the comic book characters and sometimes make a quip about it.  For instance in X-Men when Wolverine says "What do you want, yellow tights?"  However, in Green Lantern, the stupid comic book eye mask is in full effect.  First of all it's CG and looks terrible.  Secondly they say it's to protect the wearer's identity.  Uh what?  Obviously that is still Ryan Reynolds with his trademark hair and chin.  They try to make a joke about it in the movie when one of the other characters recognizes him despite the mask, but it was just stupid.  Why have the mask at all?  It looks ridiculous.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #527 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2011, 01:46:11 PM »
True Grit -> It was really good. The acting was superb in this movie. All of them were really good - especially the 14 year-old girl.

Battle: Los Angeles
-> The non-stop action and special effects were really good. Story is nothing special.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #528 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
True Grit -> It was really good. The acting was superb in this movie. All of them were really good - especially the 14 year-old girl.

I just watched that today, I thought it was good, but I wasn't blown away with it like everyone else was.

I watched the first ten minutes of "Paul" and stopped it, I was tired, I'll get back to it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #529 on: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
After being mentioned on Penny-Arcade I thought I might give The Wild Hunt a look. It was enjoyable and kind of a fun twist on the whole crazy people in the woods story. I knew LARPers couldn't be trusted.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #530 on: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 05:18:34 AM »
Finally got around to watching The Town, definitely lived up to all the praise. It was really fucking good.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #531 on: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
I watched 40% of Pineapple Express so far.

I don't get it. Forget laughter... I didn't even break into a smile.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #532 on: Wednesday, July 06, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
I thought it was pretty funny.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #533 on: Monday, July 18, 2011, 08:11:11 AM »
Saw Skyline last night.  I heard it was bad, but I like alien invasion movies.  For all their flaws, I've seen Independence Day and War of the Worlds at least a half dozen times each.  I figured it would be not great, but at least have some redeeming qualities.  And it did.  For a shoestring budget, the effects were pretty decent.

But wow was the story ridiculous.  The worst part about it is that nothing is ever explained.  You never really find out why the aliens are doing what they are doing or why what happens at the end happens.  It leaves a severe feeling of dissatisfaction at its conclusion.  Not the sensation you get with a classic cliffhanger really, because even in movies with cliffhangers you usually feel like you understand what is going on in the movie.  More like the sense that you spent an hour and a half of your life invested in this movie with very little in return.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #534 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #535 on: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #536 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:18:42 AM »
The Tree of Life, a deeply moving experience, if not a coherent story.  Don't go into it with any expectations; just take it in.  Definitely watch it.  It reminds me very much of 2001: A Space Odyssey, but more abstract on the one hand, and much more human on the other.

Lacrimosa
(Don't watch if you don't like even the hint of a spoiler.)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #537 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
I watched Paprika. Really enjoyed it. Watched Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress the other night as well.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #538 on: Friday, September 23, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
Saw Winter's Bone last night.  Probably not for everyone, but I liked it.  I have a weird fascination with impoverished rural areas as a setting.  Ozarks?  Count me in.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #539 on: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »
I just watched Super. An interesting film to say the least. It has a strange pacing to it but I enjoyed it overall.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #540 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
I saw yesterday...
50/50 - which I thought was great.
Drive - which I though was pretty good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #541 on: Sunday, February 12, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »
I saw yesterday...
Killer Elite - Solid action movie, but nothing special.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #542 on: Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
I've seen quite a bit:

Drive:  I found it just OK.  I know everyone likes it but I thought it was pretty ho-hum.  I imagine the hype killed it for me.

The Hunger Games:  Definitely a screenplay based on a young adult book, but it was really well done and had an interesting concept.  The acting overall was solid too.

John Carter:  It reminded me a lot of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time in that it was a completely mediocre action movie.  Worth seeing once for free or for a small rental fee.

Wrath of the Titans:  It got bad reviews but I liked it and I liked its predecessor as well.  Maybe not quite as good as the first one, but a decent Hollywood popcorn flick.

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (U.S. version):  I had mixed feelings.  One one hand I thought the acting and effort into recreating the book were solid.  On the other you could tell that the story is really just too long to adequately fit in single-movie format.  It was very fast paced and felt like the actors were rushing all the dialog and the director was rushing all the scenes.  If you didn't read the book, I don't see how you would be able to follow along.  They chose to do a weird thing with Anita Vanger that I didn't get.  I suppose it was inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but I don't know why they made the choice to alter that part of the plot.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 3D:  I forgot what a piece of shit this movie is.  The 3D effects didn't really help either; they were barely noticeable.

Thor:  The best thing I can really say is that they did a better job making a movie about a Viking-like god that finds himself on modern-day Earth than I thought they would.  Beyond that, I found the movie to be entirely missable.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes:  Like Drive, I came away disappointed after hearing such good things.  It was well-done and worth watching once, but I didn't think it was as good as everyone was saying.  In a way, it reminds me of The Phantom Menace.  The entire movie is a long, drawn-out story focusing on a very small subject that ends up having large consequences later, basically existing simply to explain how the world/universe got to where it is later.

Hugo:  I enjoyed it and found it creative, but I think the only reason it got such major Oscar attention was because Martin Scorsese made it.

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows:  What can I say?  I think Robert Downey Jr. is a brilliant actor and Jude Law is no slouch either.  Loved the first and loved this one too.

The Adventures of Tintin:  I found it mostly unbearable and fell asleep about halfway through.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #543 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
Iron Sky.  This one caught me by surprise.  I was expecting some cheesy popcorn muncher, and got pleasantly surprised.  It's uneven, doesn't seem to know what it wants to be sometimes.  But it's worthwhile.  Mix of action, comedy and biting satire.  Awesome SFX for the budget, truly unexpected.

Edit:  Best blurb from a review yet:  "Let's face it: it's Nazis from the Moon invading Earth in flying saucers, if you're expecting anything other than abject absurdity, you're in the wrong movie."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #544 on: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
The Skin I Live In -- Geez, talk about a messed-up movie. And a damn good horror/drama/psychological thriller, I might add.

Take Shelter -- Pretty good psychological thriller. Michael Shannon was great in this movie.
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 09:18:45 AM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #545 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
After a very long break from netflix I resubbed this month and got to see some semi-recent-ish movies! Hooray!

Drive: Had to see this after Hotline Miami took me by surprise. I liked the movie and I can sort of see where the influences came from.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: The Pirates movies are my little guilty pleasure, though none of the sequels really top the first. This one is no exception to that rule.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: Didn't really care for it. Dear script writers: stopping a bomb mere seconds from exploding and killing everyone is the LAMEST SHIT EVER! We know they are going to stop it in time. There is zero suspense.

Haywire: Not bad. Not great either. The story is almost not even there but they set up some nice fights and I enjoyed the semi-realistic foot chase. Also, totally crushing on the main chick. Might be a fun rental for a Saturday afternoon.

Sucker Punch: Cool action scenes are cool. All the other scenes made me feel really skeezy. Ended up just skipping to the action stuff.

The Secret World of Arrietty: Yet another Studio Ghibli movie that ends up in my list of favorite movies of all time. Loved it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #546 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
The Adventures of Tintin:  I found it mostly unbearable and fell asleep about halfway through.

TinTin was great! Most of the hate going towards it seems to be coming from Americans. I'm guessing you guys didn't grow up with the cartoons or books?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #547 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
Basically no one here heard of it until the movie.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #548 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
TinTin was great! Most of the hate going towards it seems to be coming from Americans. I'm guessing you guys didn't grow up with the cartoons or books?

Tintin en el Tibet:)  My oldest brother and I loved that book when we were kids.  I vaguely remember reading other Tintin stories too, also in Spanish.  So yeah, I was pumped for the movie.  I liked it, but was hoping for better, being Spielberg's and all.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #549 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
I've yet to see Tintin, but growing up in Belgium meant it was a must read and watch (they had a cartoon series that was awesome).

Anyway, brace yourself... I watched Battleship. Gah... don't ask...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #550 on: Thursday, December 06, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »
I've yet to see Tintin, but growing up in Belgium meant it was a must read and watch (they had a cartoon series that was awesome).

So, how was Battle--
Ahhh, nevermind! :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #551 on: Friday, December 07, 2012, 12:39:10 AM »
Americans aren't familiar with Tin Tin?

I had no idea. That's really sad. Are those books selling there now?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #552 on: Saturday, December 15, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
I'm sure the books are sold here, but its still kind of obscure.

Speaking of, I just saw the movie. Pretty fun. The CG was pretty impressive and I only noticed one instance of a really in your face "THIS SHOT IS FOR THE 3D GLASSES".

Other movies:

Source Code - Better than I initially thought it would be.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - I'm so confused right now.

District 13: Ultimatum - Ah, good old District 13.

Brave - Ah, good old Pixar.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits - This movie speaks to my SOUL.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #553 on: Saturday, December 15, 2012, 10:41:39 PM »

Lol - I watched that on a plane because it was one of those old school planes that doesn't let you pick the channels (pretty sure they just put in the VHS tape at the front and then everyone is forced to watch the movie).  What a predictable, train wreck of a movie.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #554 on: Sunday, December 16, 2012, 02:15:22 AM »
I watched Tintin a few days ago. I thought it was good. Maybe because I watched the cartoon when I was young. It felt very faithful to the material.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #555 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
Last few weeks, I seen a bunch of movies. I'll throw a few out there:

Total Recall (2012) - Great trippy-visuals & pretty good acting. Some things are different from the original classic sci-fi/action movie (with Arnold) story-wise and plot-wise. This just doesn't speak to me like the original Arnold-movie did. Being a reboot, it feels like the fresh-ness and originality was lost in translation somewhere. Some of it was predictable (b/c I seen the Arnold version), some was different. Decent remake/reboot, though.

The Watch - Great chemistry from the 4 lead characters who are in "The Neighbor Watch" make the flick. Felt like a campy sci-fi B-movie starring an A-list of comedic actors that pretty much somehow hold this flick together w/ their constant barrage of jokes and punchlines. This movie just shouldn't work, but it somehow does - like some of Stiller's other movies (i.e. Zoolander). Stupid; silly; ridiculous; goofy; hilarious; and somehow still entertaining.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #556 on: Thursday, January 03, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »
God, I hated The Watch.  The Total Recall remake was kinda fun, like a rollercoaster is.  Lift your arms just about the whole time.  No breather from insane action.  No room left for anything else, except a funny homage to the original here and there.

Lincoln brings political correctness to the 1860s.  (Slightly revisionist.)  Overlooking that, good historical drama with impressive performances, particularly Day-Lewis.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #557 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
The Avengers: I thought it was mediocre. Ok, I was going to go for bad but Joss Whedon sort of made this one bearable in the end and I guess it could've been a lot worse. I thought some of the hero introduction prequels were much better. There was just way too much overacting (Samuel L. Jackson playing Nick Fury like he's still Mace Windu) or no acting at all (Scarlett Johansson). Mark Ruffalo was great as the Hulk and I loved Loki.

Safe House: Standard espionage stuff but Raynolds and Washington were great and I was on the edge of my seat through the whole thing.

Wrath of the Titans: I fell asleep twice trying to finish it. So yeah...

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #558 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Rachel Getting Married: It's an older movie that I  never heard of this movie and didn't know what it was about. I really enjoyed the natural feel of the movie (reminded me a bit of Melancholia)and the acting was really great. If you want a good drama it's worth checking out for sure.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows: Just shoot me.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #559 on: Thursday, January 10, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows: Amazing.

I completely agree.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 30, 2014, 10:30:15 PM by PyroMenace »